July 28, 2014 | 1995 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Sugar Cloud

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gorgeous polish, lackluster formula. Though not nearly as tricky to apply or as sheer as its identical twin Royal Icing, this polish still takes at least 3-4 coats to be opaque and is fairly prone to chipping even with a good base and topcoat. I get maybe 3-4 days using this as opposed to the 6-8 I might get with a normal polish. It does dry pretty quickly though, which is a plus! And unlike Royal Icing, you can layer coat after coat of this stuff without the final texture looking thick and crusty. These polishes look identical in the bottle and when swatched over white, but Sugar Cloud is definitely an improvement quality wise.

I'm not at all a fan of the way textured polishes look or feel (something about a rough nail surface just seems unsanitary!), but I'm a sucker for the ones with duochrome sparkle so I just wear mine with 1-2 coats of seche vite on top. Sugar Cloud is just gorgeous this way. I love how balanced the duochrome glitter (which shifts between pink and gold) is with the baby blue base. The shimmer doesn't change the shade of the base color as so often happens with polishes with a contrasting shade of sparkle, yet the base color never overwhelms the shimmer either. It stays sparkly no matter what kind of lighting you're in. And I just love the blue-pink-gold combo. It reminds of what a sunset looks like overhead (as opposed to at the horizon line), when the sky turns robin's egg blue and the clouds turn pink and are etched with gold. It's one of my favorite sights in nature and I just love having that beauty on my nails!