December 22, 2014 | 997 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Sugar Cloud

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This looks so pretty in the bottle! Sky blue with pink shimmer, in a sparkly formula. The directions say use two thin coats. I used three because two looked grey. Three wasn't any better. I'm an NC42 and grey looks awful on me. It dries really fast though, I'll give it that. I didn't like the matte glitter look so I put on three coats of top coat. Still not feeling it. Also it chips off in large flakes, even with my Revlon CS BC.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by ladylazarus

Gorgeous polish, but heaven help you if you think that wearing it without solid "undies" (that is, an opaque colour worn underneath the polish) is a good idea. On its own, it's sheer and muted, which, combined with the texture, translates to a mold/fungus-like look, frankly.

Worn over a similar base colour, however, Sugar Cloud is perfectly sweet and pretty. I used two thin coats of Urban Outfitters Powder Puff, a saturated sky blue creme, as my base, and two thin coats of Sugar Cloud. The texture isn't gritty, and the duochrome purple-gold shimmer is strong enough to make me wiggle my nails and stare at them.

The Sugar Shimmer offerings are a touch pricier than other Sally Hansen lines, and the packaging is a little deceptive in terms of the bottle looking like it should hold more than 11.8ml, but the colour is heavenly, so I don't mind the cost.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gorgeous polish, lackluster formula. Though not nearly as tricky to apply or as sheer as its identical twin Royal Icing, this polish still takes at least 3-4 coats to be opaque and is fairly prone to chipping even with a good base and topcoat. I get maybe 3-4 days using this as opposed to the 6-8 I might get with a normal polish. It does dry pretty quickly though, which is a plus! And unlike Royal Icing, you can layer coat after coat of this stuff without the final texture looking thick and crusty. These polishes look identical in the bottle and when swatched over white, but Sugar Cloud is definitely an improvement quality wise.

I'm not at all a fan of the way textured polishes look or feel (something about a rough nail surface just seems unsanitary!), but I'm a sucker for the ones with duochrome sparkle so I just wear mine with 1-2 coats of seche vite on top. Sugar Cloud is just gorgeous this way. I love how balanced the duochrome glitter (which shifts between pink and gold) is with the baby blue base. The shimmer doesn't change the shade of the base color as so often happens with polishes with a contrasting shade of sparkle, yet the base color never overwhelms the shimmer either. It stays sparkly no matter what kind of lighting you're in. And I just love the blue-pink-gold combo. It reminds of what a sunset looks like overhead (as opposed to at the horizon line), when the sky turns robin's egg blue and the clouds turn pink and are etched with gold. It's one of my favorite sights in nature and I just love having that beauty on my nails!