NARS Pro-Prime Light Optimizing Primer

4.8

Sephora sent me a sample of this primer over the summer and I was so impressed by it that I bought a full sized version during the last Beauty Insider sale.

The thing that sets this primer apart for me is that it feels great going on. It doesn't have that silicon-heavy texture, but feels more like a serum or lightweight lotion. It seems to melt into skin rather than staying on top. And, unlike every other primer I've tried, this does not break me out at all, even on humid, greasy, sweaty days.

There's a very subtle red and gold shimmer in this product that is not visible on skin. The primer gives a very slight, natural-looking sheen that is quite pretty and healthy-looking. Of course, the effect is neutralized if you apply foundation on top. But since I only wear concealer on troubled spots and some light powder, this works for me.

I've found that this works as well as silicone-heavy primers in keeping my makeup fresh on a normal workday. But it's not really going to be helpful on super warm, sweaty days. In that case, only a makeup setting spray like Skindanavia's is going to keep everything from sliding off.

The price is very high, so I've been using this conservatively. I love the slim, sleek squeeze tube, which is thoughtfully designed to fit into purses and makeup bags without adding bulk. Would repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hands down my favourite primer. It actually does the job of keeping my makeup in place. I had been using Laura Mercier Radiance Primer however I was disappointed as the shimmer was a bit overpowering and I found that makeup didn't stay on as long. I have started re-using this NARS primer and it is so much better. I've tried several primers and for me personally this is the best. It offers a natural shimmer which looks very subtle underneath makeup and the texture is like a light cream. I would definitely recommend for all skin types as the shimmer is very subtle and natural so would be fine on oiler skin types too in my opinion :)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

i have oily acne prone skin and initially tried the pore refining primer. However it didn't control my oilier and actually d I don't do much of anything. I got this as a sample and was worried that it would make my oily skin oilier but instead, gave me a glow that made my skin look younger and more vibrant. I haven't had any bad skin reactions to this either. So far i am loving it!

This is a great primer if you want dewy skin. The primer comes out of the tube as a white cream-type substance, but when I spread it on my face, it leaves behind really pretty, subtle red and gold sparkles to give the illusion of sparkling skin. It's not overwhelming at all and it looks wonderful. The primer also helps my makup last 8+ hours. This is worth a try!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This pearly, non-mattifying primer is super-lightweight. I only have a sample (right now) so I've been trying to make it last by only using it sometimes. And I notice that people go out of their way to compliment my skin when I wear itthat never happens when I don't. (I use Maybelline BB Cream as a foundation over the primer, because I like a light, natural look.)

For a long time I used Smashbox primer, in the neutral and the green (red-correcting) formulas. Until I got this little Nars sample I didn't realize how deadening the Smashbox product is. Nars' "radiance enhancing" or "light optimizing" version keeps my skin looking hydrated and glowy without being obvious, glittery, or weird. I have sensitive skin and haven't had any problemsbut neither do I wear it every day; in any event, I moisturize day and night with Aveeno Clear Complexion moisturizer, to combat my skin's tendency to react to skin products. My skin stays clear as long as I stick to what I know won't break it out.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This primer is expensive, but makes my Nars SG stay on so much longer and just looks smoother. There is a shimmer like others have mentioned but it disappears.

I use this over a moisturizer because I have dry skin. I have stopped using powder unless I'm getting photos taken, so I needed a primer to make foundation stay on better, since I skip powder. This does that. My sculpting powder, blush, and overall face just looks ultra smooth using this.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this primer!!!! 😍

I got this sample from one of my perks. It was okay. I like how you only needed a little bit and it worked really well as far as my makeup staying put. But my HG is the Smashbox Luminizing Primer. If you just need a simple primer with SPF 15 then I say go with this one.

Popular Primer/ Correctors