September 15, 2014 | 1768 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Cover Girl - truMagic

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2014 5:38:00 AM More reviews by buttonsnachopogo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff. One side of my face has really big pores. Go figure. I apply to both sides and my pores are diminished. I apply first to the side with the big pores and then whatever is left goes on the other side. I apply under my foundation, but if I forget I apply over my foundation. You have to apply lightly and just pat it on. Swipe your sponge lightly in product then pat lightly on skin

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2014 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Tramperanddana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love love love this product. Makes my face feel smooth and soft and make up is easier to apply. It makes my skin not look oily as well. I like to put it on under my foundation and powder then dab it on top, makes my skin look flawless and it's just. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by smileandactnice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Mally...lol Not to be totally random, but I love her and her products, but they don't love me. Everything I've tried has broken me out or I've been allergic to or something--just hugely disappointing for me because everything seems so cutting-edge and well thought out...
Anyways, that brings me to this... I wanted to try her poreless perfection thingy...but based on our hate/hate relationship thus far, I didn't dare spend that kinda money for something I would most likely wind up hating....and so I found this Tru Magic --which is basically like a generic drugstore knock-off.
I'd read all the neg reviews on Mally's and even this, but I totally disagree IMHO. For me, this stuff is magic!!! I'd read about applying it lightly--gently very gently, swipe the sponge over the product...don't go digging! And **pat** onto your face--this is very important! Do NOT wipe, swipe or in any way dislodge your makeup--just gently pat it on.
I normally wear a bb cream and set with powder, so I pat this stuff on later in the day to control shine(it's super super humid here right now). It's good at refresing makeup without making you look cakey like powder does. And it tones down shine without making you look matte-dead.
I have't tried it *in place of powder*, just as a touchup product. I'm not sure I'm ready, what with the humid weather here--I still like a nice setting powder. Maybe in the winter I'll use this in place of setting powder... But for touchups during the day, it's awesome!!
My only nitpicks are that the case is ginormous!! It's like the size of 3 regular powder compacts. It's difficult to fit into a makeup bag so it winds up just floating around my purse or sitting on my desk.
Also, the sponge just sits in the product all day til you use it. I'd prefer to put the sponge in another compartment between uses--like with most compact foundations. And since the case is ginormous anyways, why not give a sponge compartment on the bottom? Kinda cheapo if you ask me...
Besides those two points, this is an awesome awesome product!! And super cheaper than Mally (sorry, love:( lol)
One last thing, my skin is very dry, so this stuff is a godsend...I don't know how well it would work for very oily types...I do know that us dry-skinned girls can use this and be thrilled that it doesn't emphasize any flakes.
Overall, loving this product and will be buying it again(if I ever run out lol).

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by mantra4ia

I purchased the TruMagic Skin Perfector in 100 (clear) and the product was a major disappointment based on it's intended use. Some of it's highlighted claims are "controls shine, non-greasy, soft smooth finish, apply throughout the day for quick toughups, just like a pressed powder."

I've tried various applications: dry and wet use with the included round sponge, dry and wet with a makeup wedge, and with my fingertips. I tried swiping it on in a downward motion, patting it on, and buffing it on. I tried it under liquid makeup and over it. Each time, when makeup is put on top of the mattifier it emphasizes pores or any textured patches of skin. It feels great going on, true to "soft and smooth" because it's very slippery, so you think that makeup aplication will be smooth. But as soon as anything is applied on top, it clings and bunches up on any imperfections. Applied over foundation, it picks up and moves the products around for a more uneven finish so I would not say touchups are quick, nor does it perform like a pressed powder. I didnot even wear the product more than 5 minutes because my makeup looked so bad I had to remove it.

So yes, the TruMagic Perfector does mattify, but it can not be worn with a makeup base without degrading the application process. The only uses that this product excels at is as a stand-alone perfector/mattifier without any other makeup product or, as I found by trial and error, as a lip product base to smooth lip texture, or to make application of dried out or matte formulas very easy and smooth, and it helps form a barrier to keep lips from chapping from matte products. However, because I did not purchase the product with that intent and because it's stated function falls short of it's claim, I would NOT repurchase it. I would NOT reccommend it. And I am going to try to return it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As is, if this product was remarketed as a lip smoothing base and as a result came in more compact packaging with the same product amount for the price, I would enjoy it more.

Used as an all over face product, I wish that the packaging had stated how it performed under mineral, powder, liquid, and cream foundations, or at least gave instuctions on the "best applied by..." and "best used wth ____ type products." I would also like if the clear base was packaged with a black or dark sponge so that you might be able to see at some of what you are applying.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Sagehen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Disappointing. I had hoped for a solid prodict (as in performance, not consistencey) that would help matify and blur pores. This is not that. The pros are that it does helep mattify somewhat - wait - that's the only pro. The cons: price too high for performance, the product is hard to get out of the pan - it just slides around, I can see by the staining on the product that it is removing some of my makeup, it doesn't keep me matte for more than an hour. Honestly blotting papers and powder do better than this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2014 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Cricketangel

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I loves it but the trick is to use it when your sskin starts to get oily. Put it on with your makeup on. Works wonders for me and keeps my face oil free for hours!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by twigsonic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

When I saw this I thought maybe finally the answer to my oily skin and makeup not lasting on my face during the summer was here. But NOPE. I'm actually not just dissapointed, but horrified by how awful this stuff is. I don't understand how they even got it past the testing stage.

This is supposed to keep the skin matt and non oily. It does the opposite. My makeup slid right off my skin within an hour of applying it over this supposed wonder balm. So I tried it with a few makeups and it did the same thing. I tried it over makeup and it just got worse. It was like spreading crisco over makeup. It just wiped it off in streaks.

How they even got this into stores is beyond me. It's disgusting.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by savyy

Wearing this under or over makeup makes makeup cake up and slip and slide. I tried it with the sponge and fingers. It doesn't help with oil. Its useless.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by bluna11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm really on the fence about this product. It works Just fine as a primer and goes on nicely. I top it with cover girl clean foundation and set it with graftobian luxecashmere banana creame pie setting powder. However, I find myself oily much earlier than when I use my HG primer by elf. So probably won't b purchasing again. Don't understand why covergirl suggests to use this on top of makeup. This stuff wouldn't just smudge it around and make you look blotchy. Nice try covergirl.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by jinajamm

Ok, i figured something out about this stuff, but first, those complaining about there being no place to put the sponge inside the compact other than sitting it directly on the product, there is a solution for this, the little plastic circular "dish" thing that the sponge is packaged with, don't discard it, remove it & sit IT directly on the product like a little dish, & sit the sponge in that after use. Yes, there will be product on the bottom of the plastic dish, but it's such a small amount, i doubt it's enough to be concerned about wasting. I would, however, wash your hands before using or just apply some hand sanitizer & then run your middle finger along the bottom of this plastic tray to get any product that might've stuck to the bottom, off, & then use it so it doesn't go to waste if that's a concern of yours. Or you can simply just wipe the bottom off with a tissue if you don't want to try to salvage any that might've stuck to the bottom of the tray, either way, you'll want to get what ever product might've got stuck on it, if any, before sitting it down on another surface, as to not get it on anything you sit it on. That being said, here's a trick that made this stuff perform beautifully: DAMPEN the sponge first then swipe it across the product and apply! You don't wanna get the sponge wet, just damp will suffice, and this can be achieved by simply using a spray bottle with water. Just spray the sponge once with water, swipe the product, and apply. It glides right on perfectly and smoothly, with or without makeup and it doesn't catch, pull or tug on the skin while doing it. Then, after your finished, spray the sponge again 2 or 3 times and squeeze it out over a nearby waste paper basket or the sink if you're near one, put a drop of hand sanitizer on the sponge, return the sponge to the little plastic cup/dish & set the dish back on top of the product itself & close the lid. Viola! Problems solved! (If its really that big a deal for you to set the dish directly on top of the product, you can always take a peice of saran plastic wrap & place that over the product, then set the dish on top of that. Or just place the sponge directly on top of the plastic wrap, eliminating the dish altogether, but i kinda like storing it in the little dish, so that way it stays put because its well contained. Hope these tips help for those concerned.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No