July 26, 2014 | 1880 users online

Lipstick - Cailyn - Tinted Lip Balm - Big Apple

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received this in Apple Pink as part of my Ipsy bag. "Lip Paste" would be a better description of this product. This is a thick, opaque, long-wearing formula. It's not sheer, subtle, or very moisturizing--all things that I would expect with a traditional balm--in the least. It also doesn't leave my lips well-conditioned and pampered at the end of the day...if anything, they seem drier. It does apply smoothly though it has an interesting feeling on my lips that is hard to describe. It's also pretty transfer-resistant.

The color is a coral pink that I wouldn't have picked for myself, but is surprisingly flattering if I apply it with a light hand.

The packaging's shape make it hard to tote this product in a pocket. On the other hand, having the brush right there, neatly stored and not making a mess, is very nifty.

I'm glad I got to try it via Ipsy, as I wouldn't have paid the $19 that it's supposedly worth.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This lip balm has some pros and cons but overall it is a wash. The balm has excellent tint and I love the brush that you can use to apply it. However, this product is not moisturizing at all. Holy cow it will dry your lips out! Coat them with lip balm before you apply. Oh yeah, and the price is outrageous. Three out of five stars is more generous than fair.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by katgolightly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I don't know why they call this a "tinted lip balm". I think of something with some moisture when you say "balm". This is really more of a lip stain. The lip brush in the handle is convenient since it's a pot style product. I find it works decently as a base coat, but I apply a tarte matte lipsurgence over the top for more complete coverage. I only bother with the cailyn because it's RED and I want to get the most wear possible with out weird fading during the day. I wouldn't use it in any other shade and instead just opt for my usual lip stick, a true balm, or a gloss. This was in a subscription box and I'll keep it around, but I definitely won't buy it and it seems like a pretty dry formula so I don't know how long it will last before becoming too dry to use.