E.L.F. Studio BB Cream SPF 20

3.8

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Oxybenzone 4%, Octisalate 5%, Octinoxate 7.5% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Beonzoate, Titanium Dioxide, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Sorbitan Olivate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Chloride, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Talc, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Mica, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Methylisothiazolinone. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 4/13/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is review 83923 out of 9 million foundation reviews, give or take. Or it seems like that, anyway. I'm pretty sure I got this in an ELF haul versus actually buying it for its own sake.

So my package arrived and they sent me "Fair", which is jolly nice of them because it happens to be the shade I need. Bonus!

Packaging is the usual ELF packaging (black, and particularly prone to attracting a legion of fingerprints which is fine if that's what you want, but if you're anything even approaching OCD will send you into paroxysms of complete chaos). It doesn't smell like anything, so that's all good.

Coverage? I'm suspicious because it covers very well - use a bit of colour correcting whatchamacallit and dust with a powder and you're good to go. There's obviously some sort of sorcery involved, but I shan't complain because it has very decent staying power, and better-than-decent coverage.

I like this one. It doesn't flake or crease (though I do use a boatload of oils and things before I start out on these endeavors). Didn't turn orange, so ultimately it's a keeper for me.

As is the problem with many ELF products though, the shade selection is very, very limiting if you're a dark skinned lady.

on 4/10/2015 1:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i've recently tried out a few of elf's newer products and while I do think the packaging is improving leaps and bounds (their new primers are so cute! albeit terrible quality lolz), the products themselves are still very hit or miss.

I was optimistic about this stuff. I heard it came in lighter shades than most of elf's other concealers/foundations, and because elf does carry ONE product that ALMOST matches me (zit zapping concealer in 'fair' - slightly too yellow but i can work with it), I figured hey, maybe this stuff won't be so bad. I do this all the time. i'm constantly trying and retrying face products from elf, hoping that they've been reformulated or I applied them incorrectly the last time I used them or that my skin color will have changed enough that it doesn't look like I'm rubbing orange paint all over my face. and i'm always disappointed.

this stuff wasn't the worst match ever but since it's not supposed to be a full coverage product, some of your natural skin tone will poke through and make you look a little off if it doesn't match exactly. i looked weirdly orange-pink with this stuff on. not to mention, this bb cream feels ridiculously heavy on the skin - I currently use MUFE's mat velvet foundation which is p full coverage, and that stuff doesn't feel nearly as heavy as this bb cream does. and because of the thickness of the product it's also super difficult to blend.

i really wanted to love this stuff and I do like the dispenser, but ultimately i returned it :(

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

After my skin decided to rebel against liquid foundations, I decided to try and go back to basics. Not wanting to try (or pay the $33 price tag) for Clinique's CC cream, I spotted this little tube whilst browsing the isles of my local Target (as you do).

At first, I was extremely skeptical of this BB cream. Both for the low price tag and for the fact that on a Youtube review of ELF's liquid foundation (hey LaurenRoss!), it was rated as a full coverage foundation. That is NOT what I want. The pump style and the fact that the shade range goes all the way up to 'Dark' is what swayed me. That in and of itself is impressive. You just don't see drugstore BB creams that have that kind of shade range. And if you're a woman of color looking for an inexpensive BB cream? Girl please.

I picked up the shade 'Medium'. At Target this is $6 for 1.06 oz. Not bad for what you get. And since it's BB cream, you don't need to use a lot of it. At least, I don't.

When I got home I swatched the cream on my inner arm and at first rub I was startled, because this cream did not match the color of my skin. At all. It was too pasty, too light, AND too thick. I decided to leave it alone for a little bit, and left to do other things around my house.

After about ten minutes, I checked the swatch on my arm. I could barely find it. It took bright full sunlight to discover the swatch, and I was quite startled at the accuracy of the match. Obviously it was not perfect, but the BB cream was a heck of a lot lighter than it had first gone on.

I used it on my face on a day when I was visiting my boyfriend, and the same thing happened. This time, I used a hydrating primer underneath the BB cream itself and that really helped my dry T-Zone and cheeks. The match was still shockingly accurate, contrary to my scary face immediately after the initial application. I don't know if the color 'blends' to your skin after you apply it or what, but I was pleased with the results. I also love that it has SPF.

I set the cream with L'Oreal True Match powder and went about my day. I don't remember how many hours of wear I got out of this, but it did hold up well.

The only bad thing about this cream is that it's pretty drying by itself, and the application goes on extremely thick, so if you use too much....it won't be pretty. For what it is and the extremely low price point, it's not bad at all.

4-22-15---EDIT---
I went back to using Clinique CC cream. This is still way too light for my skin, and it's also too thick. After using it for a few days it started to break me out.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I am 24 and ever since I was a teenager I have had EXTREMELY Oily skin. I find it impossible to find a foundation that doesnt slide off my face and into the smile creases around my mouth. I have tried many BB creams from the drugstore as well as several versions of Skin79 BB creams, although I enjoy the concept of BB creams, I have never found one that gave me enough coverage to cover up my hyperpigmentation and acne scars and also didn't make me look like a complete oil slick.

I really enjoyed the ELF bb cream and thought it gave me decent coverage for a natural look. I used a damp Beauty Blender to apply it to my face and set it with powder to help give it more a matte finish and to help absorb the oil on my face. I would not say the coverage stays all day, but it feels comfortable and light on my skin for up to 5 hours and didn't settle into my smile lines. I love the squeeze tube and have plans to refill it with moisturizer or another foundation for easy travel when I have used the BB cream up. Overall, I think it would be a great quick and easy summer essential to throw in your beach bag.

on 4/3/2015 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For the price it is good quality, as many other BB creams (even drugstore) are at least 10$, it's a bit sticky feeling but doesn't make me look incredibly oily which I've experienced with other BB creams, I bought the shade buff and it was lighter than it appears so keep this in mind, also smells very strongly of sunblock, medium coverage, packaging is great because with the pump you can really regulate how much you're using.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Okay! So I've used a LOT of BB cream in the past three years. If anything, I wear BB cream more than foundation all year round. I've used ElishaCoy Always Triple BB Cream the most, it's my holy grail of BB creams and Holika Holika Aqua Petit Jelly BB Cream is my second favorite. These two have set the standards for me when it comes to BB cream. I've also used Maybelline BB Cream too, but it was just not that good.

But this ELF BB cream is actually pretty good compared to my ElisaCoy Always Triple and Aqua Petit Jelly BB creams. It give a pretty good medium to semi-full coverage. If you have dark circles or some breakouts, or even some pigmentation spots, you'll still need concealer. And admittedly, it does smell a little like sunscreen and it can be a little strong at times. So PLEASE PLEASE be careful when you put this BB cream on under your eyes, it MIGHT(key word: MIGHT) make your eyes water a little. But if you're just looking for something to even your skin tone out, this BB cream is awesome!

It's $6 on the ELF website, but usually they have their coupons so you can usually get it at a discounted price.

on 12/2/2014 7:43:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with this product! I ordered a bunch of stuff from ELF and decided to try this. This gives my skin a dewy finish, and the buildable coverage is awesome. Didn't break me out and I don't notice a strong odor. If you have oily skin, use a translucent powder to set it. If you don't have pimples, this is a great product. You need an actual foundation to cover pimples and other skin issues. I hate seeing people bashing a product and they're not using it as intended. BB creams aren't for acne prone skin. Do your research people! I definitely recommend this for hurried morning or no makeup makeup looks.

on 11/26/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

So, this isn't bad.

It has a strong scent but so do some of the Korean ones

The coverage is light

My main issue is that it settles into pores and gives a bit of a powdery look

will not repurchase but might be good for some people

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am going to be the black sheep with this product, as I did not find it to be hydrating. Here are my thoughts on the basics:

Packaging: The packaging comes in a plastic/rubbery tube, with a pump attached. The pump is good, but the tube is also squeezy which is good for making sure you can get every last bit of product out at the end. I'm not sure if mine was bad, but I find that the pump comes unscrewed a bit easy, and leaks a bit if you aren't very careful to keep it tightly screwed on.

Shade: E.L.F. is making some progress with shades. I got mine in Fair, and for once it seems pretty neutral instead of super-yellow toned like most of E.L.F.'s foundations and powders have been. It's still a little yellow, but not enough to significantly mismatch me.

Texture/Fragrance: It is a bit thicker than your standard American BB creams, while still being creamy. There is a definite fragrance to this resembling suntan lotion. For me personally, this is not a problem and I even find it to be quite pleasant. But if you are not a fan of fragrance, this could be bothersome.

Coverage: Despite the thicker texture, this provides light coverage. You can build it up to medium, and this products blends quite well and evens skin tone well overall. However, here is where I differ from most reviews. I have dry winter skin, and I did NOT find this product hydrating. On my fair, dry skin, it came off as cakey and flakey! It might have a bit of a sheen to it, but don't mistake this for hydration. I have been using this product for a week now, and it acts the same every time I put it on. I also find that it enlarges my pores, which is not easy since I have small pores to begin with.

I really wanted to love this product, I love the texture, the fragrance, and the fact it does not break me out at all. It seems they got so much right, but the coverage only enhances my dryness. I personally like my NYC Smooth Skin FiniParfair BB Cream, which is much thnner, but provides just aas good coverage, and does not dry me out at all.

EDIT: I am adding one lippie to this product, because it actually is more hydrating than it was the first few times I used it! I am not too sure why...maybe my skin was not in the best shape to begin with when I started using it? Anyways, this is my go-to BB cream now, especially in the current dry winter months. The only reason why I give it 4 instead of 5 lippies is because if you get it anywhere near your eyes, it will irritate them! I'm sure this is due to the heavy fragrance of the product. Other than that, I really like that this BB Cream is creamy and thick, but does not break me out at all.

on 9/1/2014 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have only tried Missha BB cream so far, so I thought I'd give this a shot for the price and the positive reviews. It has a strong, fresh scent. I'm very fair, but I found the lightest to be too pale for me. The coverage is very light and wasn't as easy to apply as the Missha, even over primer. I won't repurchase and will likely toss it out.