E.L.F. Studio BB Cream SPF 20

3.9

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Oxybenzone 4%, Octisalate 5%, Octinoxate 7.5% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Beonzoate, Titanium Dioxide, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Sorbitan Olivate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Chloride, Quaternium-18 Bentonite, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Talc, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Mica, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Methylisothiazolinone. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Okay! So I've used a LOT of BB cream in the past three years. If anything, I wear BB cream more than foundation all year round. I've used ElishaCoy Always Triple BB Cream the most, it's my holy grail of BB creams and Holika Holika Aqua Petit Jelly BB Cream is my second favorite. These two have set the standards for me when it comes to BB cream. I've also used Maybelline BB Cream too, but it was just not that good.

But this ELF BB cream is actually pretty good compared to my ElisaCoy Always Triple and Aqua Petit Jelly BB creams. It give a pretty good medium to semi-full coverage. If you have dark circles or some breakouts, or even some pigmentation spots, you'll still need concealer. And admittedly, it does smell a little like sunscreen and it can be a little strong at times. So PLEASE PLEASE be careful when you put this BB cream on under your eyes, it MIGHT(key word: MIGHT) make your eyes water a little. But if you're just looking for something to even your skin tone out, this BB cream is awesome!

It's $6 on the ELF website, but usually they have their coupons so you can usually get it at a discounted price.

on 12/2/2014 7:43:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with this product! I ordered a bunch of stuff from ELF and decided to try this. This gives my skin a dewy finish, and the buildable coverage is awesome. Didn't break me out and I don't notice a strong odor. If you have oily skin, use a translucent powder to set it. If you don't have pimples, this is a great product. You need an actual foundation to cover pimples and other skin issues. I hate seeing people bashing a product and they're not using it as intended. BB creams aren't for acne prone skin. Do your research people! I definitely recommend this for hurried morning or no makeup makeup looks.

on 11/26/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

So, this isn't bad.

It has a strong scent but so do some of the Korean ones

The coverage is light

My main issue is that it settles into pores and gives a bit of a powdery look

will not repurchase but might be good for some people

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am going to be the black sheep with this product, as I did not find it to be hydrating. Here are my thoughts on the basics:

Packaging: The packaging comes in a plastic/rubbery tube, with a pump attached. The pump is good, but the tube is also squeezy which is good for making sure you can get every last bit of product out at the end. I'm not sure if mine was bad, but I find that the pump comes unscrewed a bit easy, and leaks a bit if you aren't very careful to keep it tightly screwed on.

Shade: E.L.F. is making some progress with shades. I got mine in Fair, and for once it seems pretty neutral instead of super-yellow toned like most of E.L.F.'s foundations and powders have been. It's still a little yellow, but not enough to significantly mismatch me.

Texture/Fragrance: It is a bit thicker than your standard American BB creams, while still being creamy. There is a definite fragrance to this resembling suntan lotion. For me personally, this is not a problem and I even find it to be quite pleasant. But if you are not a fan of fragrance, this could be bothersome.

Coverage: Despite the thicker texture, this provides light coverage. You can build it up to medium, and this products blends quite well and evens skin tone well overall. However, here is where I differ from most reviews. I have dry winter skin, and I did NOT find this product hydrating. On my fair, dry skin, it came off as cakey and flakey! It might have a bit of a sheen to it, but don't mistake this for hydration. I have been using this product for a week now, and it acts the same every time I put it on. I also find that it enlarges my pores, which is not easy since I have small pores to begin with.

I really wanted to love this product, I love the texture, the fragrance, and the fact it does not break me out at all. It seems they got so much right, but the coverage only enhances my dryness. I personally like my NYC Smooth Skin FiniParfair BB Cream, which is much thnner, but provides just aas good coverage, and does not dry me out at all.

EDIT: I am adding one lippie to this product, because it actually is more hydrating than it was the first few times I used it! I am not too sure why...maybe my skin was not in the best shape to begin with when I started using it? Anyways, this is my go-to BB cream now, especially in the current dry winter months. The only reason why I give it 4 instead of 5 lippies is because if you get it anywhere near your eyes, it will irritate them! I'm sure this is due to the heavy fragrance of the product. Other than that, I really like that this BB Cream is creamy and thick, but does not break me out at all.

on 9/1/2014 9:29:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have only tried Missha BB cream so far, so I thought I'd give this a shot for the price and the positive reviews. It has a strong, fresh scent. I'm very fair, but I found the lightest to be too pale for me. The coverage is very light and wasn't as easy to apply as the Missha, even over primer. I won't repurchase and will likely toss it out.

on 6/5/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 3/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Combo/Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $6
COVERAGE: The coverage is definitely light to medium, conceals redness and blurs blemishes and pores. However I do find it sinks into fine lines easily
FINISH: Definitely very dewy, if you have oily skin watch out!
TEXTURE: It is too thick :/ even warming it up with my hands didnt help it spread
SPF: 20
LASTING POWER: This is also where this product kinda failed me! it looks nice when first apply but about 2 hours later it cakes up, seeps into pores and fine lines, and wears off around my zits.
SCENT: Yes, just like all elf products do
SHADES: I have this in Buff and it is a hair too dark for me.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?:No
PACKAGING: I liked the idea of the pump but the one I got was faulty
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: No
FINAL VERDICT: I was stoked about the initial finish and coverage, but it does not wear well at all!

on 5/13/2014 3:20:00 PM

WOAH! this is great. If you want light coverage, this is for you. Ive never seen a bb cream with coverage and i was shocked! It smells like sunscreen which I really enjoy the smell of. People say its thick, which it kinda is. It looks thick, but it doesnt feel thick. I will repurchase! (its shiny so apply powder)

on 4/25/2014 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product really surprised me. I was kind of turned off by the bad reviews here, but it wound up being a great product! It reminds me most of my Holika Holika BB cream in consistency. Most American BB creams are thin and watery and kind of useless as makeup. This one is thick and moisturizing and offers great buildable coverage. I have severe redness and this is plenty to cover it. It's light-medium, but can be built to full coverage. I'm not really sure how people can say this is sheer, it was extremely pigmented on me. I love the fair shade, it is yellow based which is perfect for my skin. I'm an NC15 and it is one of the better matches I have in my extremely expansive collection of bases. It isn't scented so it smells a little chemical-y but it doesn't last and my sensitive skin appreciates the lack of fragrance. This is a definite repurchase and you can't beat that price!

on 3/17/2014 12:21:00 PM

This smells terrible. Not a fan. Gave me a headache. It felt thick and sticky on my face plus absolutely no coverage. Bb creams are supposed to be lightweight and this is not lightweight.

on 3/11/2014 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I adore this product! Works great on my dry skin. I usually use this BB cream when I don't feel like fussing with foundation. I'll put this on my face, dab some concealer here and there, and set all of it with a lightweight powder and that's all that I really need most days.

THE SPECIFICS -

Packaging - Squeeze tube/pump hybrid. The plastic tube is a tad flimsy. The pump works fine in the beginning but when the product starts to run low the pump is pretty much pointless at that point and you'll have to end up unscrewing and squeezing out the product anyway. It's not my favorite kind of packaging but I wouldn't cast it off as a negative point either.

Smell - Smells just like sunscreen to me. Some have described it as having a cologne-like scent. All I can really detect is a slight sunscreen scent that fades pretty quickly once applied.

Texture - When initially dispensed, it's a little thick but if applied with your fingers the warmth of your fingertips helps it to blend well onto the skin. Can't say how it would apply with a brush or sponge, though.

Color - I wish the color selection was a little more diverse for either end of the color spectrum as I could tell the lightest shade wouldn't be as light as it could be for the porcelain toned gals out there and the darkest shade wasn't as richly toned as it could be either. But as far as my medium skin tone, the beige color blended nicely.

Coverage - Light at best. Definitely a step above a sheer coverage. Evens out my skin well but doesn't cover up issues like acne or dark spots.

Finish - This is NOT ideal for people who have oily skin. This is Not a product that will dry to anything remotely matte, even with the help of a setting powder. Extremely dewy finish. That being said, my dry skin loves this product! Since it does not have a matte finish it works to smooth any dry spots I might have and when set with powder it gives me a really nice finish without looking flat or cakey.

Longevity - I can usually go a good 3 hours before it starts breaking down and looking shiny. But after the 3 hour mark I do have to blot around my t-zone and use a little powder to touch up but nothing too serious. After an 8 hour work day my makeup is pretty much intact but I can't say it looks as great as it did in the beginning but really, what makeup can hold up perfectly all day long anyway?

Price - It retails for $6.00 on E.L.F's website. For the quality of product and the amount you are getting (1.06oz) the price really can't be beat.

OVERALL -

If you have dry skin and are looking for a decently priced Western BB cream that will work for your skin type then I highly suggest this product. This may work alright for combination dry skin but you may have a few oily patches here and there. If you have oily skin then I don't suggest this product at all. You will probably end up hating it. Just a head's up.