October 25, 2014 | 1520 users online

BB Cream - E.L.F. - Studio BB Cream SPF 20

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2014 3:44:00 PM More reviews by greenidentity

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am going to be the black sheep with this product, as I did not find it to be hydrating. Here are my thoughts on the basics:

Packaging: The packaging comes in a plastic/rubbery tube, with a pump attached. The pump is good, but the tube is also squeezy which is good for making sure you can get every last bit of product out at the end. I'm not sure if mine was bad, but I find that the pump comes unscrewed a bit easy, and leaks a bit if you aren't very careful to keep it tightly screwed on.

Shade: E.L.F. is making some progress with shades. I got mine in Fair, and for once it seems pretty neutral instead of super-yellow toned like most of E.L.F.'s foundations and powders have been. It's still a little yellow, but not enough to significantly mismatch me.

Texture/Fragrance: It is a bit thicker than your standard American BB creams, while still being creamy. There is a definite fragrance to this resembling suntan lotion. For me personally, this is not a problem and I even find it to be quite pleasant. But if you are not a fan of fragrance, this could be bothersome.

Coverage: Despite the thicker texture, this provides light coverage. You can build it up to medium, and this products blends quite well and evens skin tone well overall. However, here is where I differ from most reviews. I have dry winter skin, and I did NOT find this product hydrating. On my fair, dry skin, it came off as cakey and flakey! It might have a bit of a sheen to it, but don't mistake this for hydration. I have been using this product for a week now, and it acts the same every time I put it on. I also find that it enlarges my pores, which is not easy since I have small pores to begin with.

I really wanted to love this product, I love the texture, the fragrance, and the fact it does not break me out at all. It seems they got so much right, but the coverage only enhances my dryness. I personally like my NYC Smooth Skin FiniParfair BB Cream, which is much thnner, but provides just aas good coverage, and does not dry me out at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Evilbee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have only tried Missha BB cream so far, so I thought I'd give this a shot for the price and the positive reviews. It has a strong, fresh scent. I'm very fair, but I found the lightest to be too pale for me. The coverage is very light and wasn't as easy to apply as the Missha, even over primer. I won't repurchase and will likely toss it out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by admilly101

Overall Rating: 3/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Combo/Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $6
COVERAGE: The coverage is definitely light to medium, conceals redness and blurs blemishes and pores. However I do find it sinks into fine lines easily
FINISH: Definitely very dewy, if you have oily skin watch out!
TEXTURE: It is too thick :/ even warming it up with my hands didnt help it spread
SPF: 20
LASTING POWER: This is also where this product kinda failed me! it looks nice when first apply but about 2 hours later it cakes up, seeps into pores and fine lines, and wears off around my zits.
SCENT: Yes, just like all elf products do
SHADES: I have this in Buff and it is a hair too dark for me.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?:No
PACKAGING: I liked the idea of the pump but the one I got was faulty
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: No
FINAL VERDICT: I was stoked about the initial finish and coverage, but it does not wear well at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Juliabuszac

WOAH! this is great. If you want light coverage, this is for you. Ive never seen a bb cream with coverage and i was shocked! It smells like sunscreen which I really enjoy the smell of. People say its thick, which it kinda is. It looks thick, but it doesnt feel thick. I will repurchase! (its shiny so apply powder)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product really surprised me. I was kind of turned off by the bad reviews here, but it wound up being a great product! It reminds me most of my Holika Holika BB cream in consistency. Most American BB creams are thin and watery and kind of useless as makeup. This one is thick and moisturizing and offers great buildable coverage. I have severe redness and this is plenty to cover it. It's light-medium, but can be built to full coverage. I'm not really sure how people can say this is sheer, it was extremely pigmented on me. I love the fair shade, it is yellow based which is perfect for my skin. I'm an NC15 and it is one of the better matches I have in my extremely expansive collection of bases. It isn't scented so it smells a little chemical-y but it doesn't last and my sensitive skin appreciates the lack of fragrance. This is a definite repurchase and you can't beat that price!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Lizpaola25

This smells terrible. Not a fan. Gave me a headache. It felt thick and sticky on my face plus absolutely no coverage. Bb creams are supposed to be lightweight and this is not lightweight.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Lollinade

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I adore this product! Works great on my dry skin. I usually use this BB cream when I don't feel like fussing with foundation. I'll put this on my face, dab some concealer here and there, and set all of it with a lightweight powder and that's all that I really need most days.

THE SPECIFICS -

Packaging - Squeeze tube/pump hybrid. The plastic tube is a tad flimsy. The pump works fine in the beginning but when the product starts to run low the pump is pretty much pointless at that point and you'll have to end up unscrewing and squeezing out the product anyway. It's not my favorite kind of packaging but I wouldn't cast it off as a negative point either.

Smell - Smells just like sunscreen to me. Some have described it as having a cologne-like scent. All I can really detect is a slight sunscreen scent that fades pretty quickly once applied.

Texture - When initially dispensed, it's a little thick but if applied with your fingers the warmth of your fingertips helps it to blend well onto the skin. Can't say how it would apply with a brush or sponge, though.

Color - I wish the color selection was a little more diverse for either end of the color spectrum as I could tell the lightest shade wouldn't be as light as it could be for the porcelain toned gals out there and the darkest shade wasn't as richly toned as it could be either. But as far as my medium skin tone, the beige color blended nicely.

Coverage - Light at best. Definitely a step above a sheer coverage. Evens out my skin well but doesn't cover up issues like acne or dark spots.

Finish - This is NOT ideal for people who have oily skin. This is Not a product that will dry to anything remotely matte, even with the help of a setting powder. Extremely dewy finish. That being said, my dry skin loves this product! Since it does not have a matte finish it works to smooth any dry spots I might have and when set with powder it gives me a really nice finish without looking flat or cakey.

Longevity - I can usually go a good 3 hours before it starts breaking down and looking shiny. But after the 3 hour mark I do have to blot around my t-zone and use a little powder to touch up but nothing too serious. After an 8 hour work day my makeup is pretty much intact but I can't say it looks as great as it did in the beginning but really, what makeup can hold up perfectly all day long anyway?

Price - It retails for $6.00 on E.L.F's website. For the quality of product and the amount you are getting (1.06oz) the price really can't be beat.

OVERALL -

If you have dry skin and are looking for a decently priced Western BB cream that will work for your skin type then I highly suggest this product. This may work alright for combination dry skin but you may have a few oily patches here and there. If you have oily skin then I don't suggest this product at all. You will probably end up hating it. Just a head's up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Luvxsweets

I must preface this review by saying I do love e.l.f, they have some fantastic products for great prices! That being said, their bb cream is definitely not one of them.

Texture: **
The weird thing about this product is it's extremly thick. I would compare it to a paste, or gel like texture which is quite strange for something that claims to be a bb cream that is supposed to be light and soft. The texture makes it very difficult to apply and blend into the skin. It clumps with a brush and with the fingers it doesn't smooth properly.

Longevity: *
This product gets oily in a hurry. I even tried layering mineral foundation over it and I still got the same result. I do have oily skin, but I believe it is rather controllable and I don't tend to break through as early as I did while using this. it gave me 1h, 2h tops!

Coverage: *
Absolutely none :( I tested it out and applied it to one half of my face first, and I literally couldnt remember after five minutes which side I applied it on. It doesn't cover anything, even if you have very faint blemishes, spots, or hyperpigmentation.

Packaging: **
Again very odd. It's a squeeze bottle that comes with a pump which makes no sense. When the product get to the bottom, the pump is essentialy useless.

Side note:
The smell is very very strong, and even lingers for a bit after you've applied it. To me, it smells like my grandmothers perfume she used to buy from the avon lady. Not a fan

All in all, I was really disappointed. Elf needs to go back to the drawing board with this one. The only potential use I could see with this, is to try using it as a primer before you add real makeup..... but I'm not even sure how well that would work. Good thing I only paid $3

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2014 7:11:00 PM More reviews by Jacheampong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was to light for me but is a great color! Elf really need to work on widening their shade range

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by ANZology

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually avoid western BB creams like the plague since many ride on the hype of eastern BB creams while being nothing more than a greasy tinted moisturizer (Maybelline) with a ridiculous price tag (Garnier, Revlon). ELF surprised me with this, though. It sits well on my combination/dry skin, and washes off easily.

Smell: I don't care for the fragrance, but once I buff out the product the scent seems to fade away.

Texture: Light and creamy, doesn't feel oily nor sticky. I like to use a pea-sized amount to start, then build up my coverage from there. As long as you don't pack it on all at once, it shouldn't feel heavy.

Coverage: I'd say medium at best, but this is coming from someone with redness, dark circles, and dark cystic acne scars. It covers my redness and most of my scars well, but I still need a concealer for my dark circles.

Performance: This has defiantly been a great product to wear during the cold, windy winter days. No oxidization, and my skin stays moisturized. For long errand days I make sure to apply some powder to assist with my oily forehead. I didn't give this product a perfect score because I know I'll be using my Skin79 BB cream when warmer weather arrives. I can tell from the performance of it on my forehead alone that it won't hold up worth a hoot when my forehead becomes extra oily and sweaty during the humid summer days here in the southeast.

Packaging: It comes with removable pump, which I personally love because when I'm running low on a product I like I do what I can to extract every ounce of it from it's packaging.

I will repurchase this for cold weather, but like I said, I will retire it when summer arrives.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No