April 21, 2014 | 1361 users online

Polishes - OPI - It's Frosty Outside

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 1:50:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

From the Mariah Carey Holiday Collection 2013, this is a silver-platinum textured polish (liquid sand). My reaction to liquid sand polishes has been mixed, though I generally find them relatively interesting. This one is one of the best I've tried so far.

This is a pale silver that leans to platinum, and full of glittery goodness. It applies nicely, and dries quickly. The first coat is a little thin, but two coats has perfect opacity. It dries with a nice, slightly roughened glittery finish, slightly matte. It reminds me of finely crumpled aluminium foil (aluminum for Americans ;P). Really, really interesting!

You can add a top coat if you want more gloss (I actually like it "as is" but did try a top coat to see), but I don't see that top coat really improves the look that much. If you wanted to do a couple of coats (I would actually use a coat of plain old clear polish and then a top coat) you could get a mostly smooth surface with a lot of gloss, but then this is just another silver glitter polish and I think it loses some of its interesting character.

This is a very light polish, and on my pale, cool-toned skin it's actually a little too white, so it's not the most flattering silver I've ever worn, but I love it anyway, and will wear it regardless. It also has the potential to make really interesting tips or chevrons or the like, because of the texture and brightness of the silver, and it would be entirely suitable for an interesting accent nail.

Good polish, really happy with it, and it'll be perfect for the holidays (obviously).