July 23, 2014 | 1223 users online

Crème - Clarins - Extra Comfort Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by MysticM

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this recently, and I'm really impressed!

Its a thick cream consistency but blends into the skin beautifully. Coverage is medium, and finish is very natural & satiny. On my normal/dry skin it looks extremely skin-like, but perfected! I would wear this on a special occasion or during the day, as I get good coverage as well as a natural finish.

Ive tried a couple of application techniques, but it works best with fingers... there was too much coverage with a brush, and it looked a little too heavy.

Cons - its really expensive! I paid €43, the most I've ever spent on a foundation!
Packaging looks really luxe, its in a heavy glass jar with a gold lid. This is not my favourite, as I much prefer a tube or a bottle with a pump for reasons of hygiene. I use a q-tip to scoop out a little product.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Alison1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I' was given a tester of this to try when trying to decide between the two full coverage foundations made by clarins... Everlasting and this one extra comfort. It comes in a jar which is not too hygienic compared to the everlasting pump. This was moisturising but definately not full coverage, more medium coverage. Staying power was also not too good. I put this on at 10 and it was melting by 4pm. I definitely prefer the everlasting over this one!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Princesseren

I bought this product on the sales person's recommendation. I am combination skin, but I have been very dry this past winter. My regular Guerlain foundation is not doing much for me these days... I must say I hated it from the beginning! The jar packaging is horrible... the price $60 in Canada is completely overpriced for very little product and a massive glass jar! But the worse part is that the foundation did not last even an hour! It made me incredibly oily and it was just a mess. This foundation is NOT for combination skin type (although Clarins says it works for everyone). Avoid the pain and look for something else...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Laski

I had a sample of this in the color "112 Amber", which was only slightly darker than my usual foundations. What I liked about it: It melts nicely into the skin, no matter in which way I applied it - fingers, brush, sponge - it always had a nice finish, delivers quite much coverage while keeping the skin moisturized and soft. Especially now during the cold season, I appreciated the glowy, beautiful finish. But unfortunately, it´s just too heavy for my skin - it´s really very nourishing and creamy, and even though it didn´t make me break out, I looked quite shiny after few hours. So - for somebody with very dry skin, I guess it would be perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I had never used Clarins foundation before...but on my hunt for the perfect foundation to suit my dry, dehydrated, aging, lackluster winter skin, this foundation kept popping up. It came highly recommended, but it's not yet available in the USA so I but the bullet and ordered from the UK. I was nervous but now I see why this foundation is getting great reviews...it's wonderful!!
It is a fairly thick cream but the texture is neither heavy nor greasy. It is super easy to apply and I have gotten great results with many different brushes and my fingers alike. It spreads over the skin easily and feels nourishing like a good moisturizer, also, it doesn't get staunchy or accentuate pores like many other thick cream formulas I've tried. Coverage can be sheered out to light or built up to medium and while it covers the red in my cheeks, I do need a seperate concealer for under my eyes. It wears wonderfully, stayed put even in my shine-prone t-zone, and makes my lines/imperfections less visible (I'm guessing due to the hydration factor) while blending seamlessly into my skin. I am right around nc20-23 right now and got shade 103 which is actually a bit too light...but I like this foundation so much I've been warming it up with a bit of bronzer or a drop of Soleil tan de chanel sheer illuminating fluid just until my jar of shade 105 arrives which I suspect will be my match ((I will update if not...it seems shade 104 is not available in this formula for some reason)).

I only have 2 complaints about this foundation: I hate the scent. I really just hate it tons...but it fades rather quickly so it's not a deal breaker. It's not a perfumed scent, but more of a fresh scent reminiscent of cucumbers mixed with something I just can't put my finger on. I usually prefer fresher scents, but this one really isn't up my alley. Secondly, the packaging. I can't help it...I complain repeatedly, yet I'm forever drawn to these foundations in elegant glass jars! It's a nice heavy glass jar with a sleek gold screw-on lid and a frosted finish that's quite attractive...but I make a terrible mess with jars...period. The sanitary issue isn't what concerns me, it's basically my inability not to get foundation everywhere while replacing the stopper and then the lid! Alas, my 3 favorite foundation formulas are housed in jars...so it is what it is! My theory is that some things are just worth the mess...and this is one of them!

Bottom line: if you have dry/dehydrated skin, aging skin like mine that's lost some of it's luster and needs nourished, or even skin on the dry side that is a bit shiny in places...I think this foundation would be a beautiful fit. It's actually reasonably priced in my opinion...but if you're in the US, it'll cost you a bit more to order internationally OR you can wait it out until Spring 2014 when it is released stateside (as per Clarins USA rep). I couldn't wait and I'm not regretting it a bit! The big shipping fee was palpable once I thought of how much I might have spent trying to find a formula that does what Extra Comfort does :). I will update with any changes but for now it's a huge thumbs up!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by fayewilkinson

This foundation is great for winter time when my skin gets a little drier yet I still want a healthy glow. I have tried most if the Clarins foundations as I love their skincare, However this is not my favorite foundation they do but I think it looks lovely on the skin. The best part is that it is super hydrating and it gives the skin a lovely glow. I have used this product on more mature skin and I think it looks a lot better then on a young skin. If you mix a little bit of the Clarins Double Serum with the foundation it creates the most flawless face ever!!

Definitely a great foundation for dry skin and more mature skin.

The packaging is great because you can get every last but of makeup out.

Thumbs up from me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm giving this an average rating because even though it's okay, it definitely doesn't suit my oily slightly dehydrated skin. On the display in the store it says it's suitable for all skin types, but nope...it makes me look so oily and rubs off and slides on and around my nose (the oiliest areas).

Having said that, it's probably great for dry skin types.

I like the cucumber scent, and it's so easy to apply and spread. I like the medium-high coverage, and it looks really nice for a while, before it starts looking shiny. The lightest color (03 I think) matches my NW15 skin very well.

The glass jar is not practical at all, especially for travel. Even though it comes with a spatula, it's kind of inconvenient.

It's a good product, but not for oilies like me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The search for the perfect foundation continues and is particularly difficult when the weather outside gets colder and the heating in your house heats up. This leaves me with confused skin - dry/combination with a tendency to dehydrate due to the central heating. So to find a foundation which can deal with all three issues is hard. I am trying to come away from too dewy/moisturising a foundation but do not want matte either (yes, its an age thing for me). I must admit I have not had much luck with Clarins foundations before but when offered a free sample I had to try. Nothing to lose eh? I am around N/NW20 right now and was (surprisingly) matched to 108 Sand. I think if I go any paler (I can get to about N15) then Nude will be my match. Both of these shades do not seem overly pink or yellow to me, so fairly neutral. But I think if you were very cool or warm I would ask for a match.

This cream foundation is housed in a lovely but heavy, frosted jar, and while I know many do not like the idea of a jar I am not bothered. Its only me who uses it and if I needed to travel with it I would decant. The texture is very creamy and thick, but not heavy. In fact, with the inclusion of the Argan Oil in it, this makes it a wonderfully comfortable foundation to wear. Its very concentrated and little is need to gain a medium to full finish. I dot a small amount around my face and use a stippling brush (I use a Shiseido brush) and stipple/blend outwards. The finish is not quite dewy but not matte either, more satin I would say. I do use a setting powder lightly though and I find this sets the base off beautifully. I can get around 10/12 hours wear out of this. It never feels heavy, doesn't settle into pores/fine lines and will not highlight any flaky skin either. And for some strange reason it doesn't get shiny either! How this wonderful foundation does this I have no idea!

So, if you have dry skin, with a few shiny problem areas then I highly recommend this. I have been using this almost daily for around a month now, and it has certainly surprised me with how good it is :)

Update: I did indeed get too pale for this so asked for samples of 103 Ivory and 105 Nude. 105 was way too pink for me at around N15, whereas 103 is much better.