December 22, 2014 | 1645 users online

Crème - Clarins - Extra Comfort Foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE
In only about a week and a half, this foundation turned my skin into a blotchy mess, with deep pimples certain places:chin, forehead, cheeks. I usually don't break out like this, and I haven't bad blotchy skin in quite a while. Taking two lippies off for this. So much for "Extra-Comfort". Not only does the scent, in my opinion, not bring me any positive emotions, but it also likely is the cause of my breakouts, and on top of that: perfume irritates the skin. Irritation causes inflammation. Inflammation causes ageing. I don't think any scent is worth ruining my skin for.
END OF UPDATE

- If you're oily, don't even bother trying this. It will NOT suit you. Even on my slightly dry skin this is pretty damn glowy, bordering on slightly oily. It clearly states on the packaging that this is a moisturizing foundation, and that it has argan oil in it.
- This does definitely not give a full coverage, more like a solid medium. Even on my good skin (I don't NEED to wear foundation - concealer is really enough) it doesn't cover the slight hyperpigmentation, which I usually don't even bother covering with concealer.
- It's not a very long-lasting foundation: On a scale of 4, I would probably give it a 3 on my skin. It doesn't break up (yay!), but it slowly disappears from my skin.
- It has a pretty strong smell! It is quite perfumy, I'd say in the range of Guerlain's Parure Extreme
- Colours for only light to medium/olive skin tones

A MORE COVERING REVIEW:

It is a quite thin cream in a really heavy and bulky glass jar. I really do understand why everyone was saying this is not for travel. It might be pretty to look at, but it takes some time to unscrew the lid, take out the seal, scoop out the appropriate amount of foundation and repeat in reverse. Oh, and of course repeat, if you need a little more foundation. The seal on the jar (not the lid) leaks slightly.

I have good skin, and I need only small amounts of this. I have tried 3 methods of application: fingers, sponge, Real Techniques powder brush (the one that has a dense, small kabuki-top).
- application with fingers isn't very easy - the cream is so thin that it doesn't spread well. On top of that, it looks oilier applied this way - the heat from the fingers and the rubbing seem to change the foundation slightly
- a sponge works (always wet the sponge, squeeze the water out, THEN use it for foundation - doesn't matter what type of sponge this is). It does absorb some of the expensive product though
- a brush works the best for me, as long as my skin isn't flaking (then I use a sponge)

The colours are pretty good in this foundation, except there are no dark ones - it stops on a medium/olive colour. I'm about an NC15-20, and the colour 208 Sand fit pretty perfectly for my very yellow, light skin. Likely because I don't need a thick layer of this.

The finish of this is very natural/smooth, both with the small amount I use and even if you apply a little more. If you're wondering: "but doesn't all foundations look natural, as long as you apply a small enough amount?". No, actually, not all, even on my very even-textured skin; one example is Kanebo Fluid Finish - it gives my skin a bad, textured appearance. Try to apply less of this in areas that move a lot, like between your eyebrows, under your eyes. Personally, I didn't experience this sinking into my laugh.lines or forehead-lines though.

The finish of this one depends highly on the moisturizer you use. If you have one that absorbs fully before you apply your foundation, the finish will be slightly glowy, if you have one that leaves you a little shiny, you're likely to look like a grease-ball right away. I definitely feel the need to powder over this foundation, and I have slightly dry skin.

Despite the super-high amount of perfume, this has not broken me out yet.

Would I buy this again? No. It satisfied my craving for wanting to know how this foundation was, but this has too many cons for me to repurchase.

PROS:
- moisturizes
- looks natural
- I found a decen colour for my very yellow/very light olive skin (bu apply this lightly!)

CONS:
- very strong smell/a lot of perfume
- can look greasy
wear-time isn't very good, even set with powder and with Clarins Fix Spray over
- bulky, heavy packaging - it''s such a thin texture that I would like to see it in a tube, at least
- expensive (only reason I bought it was because I got it 35% off)

MY RECOMMENDATIONS
If I could recommend a different foundation instead of this one, I would recommend Artdeco Rich Treatment Foundation - it actually does what I expected from this Clarins foundation. The Artdeco moisturizes, wears better, has no perfume, sinks absolutely minimally into lines (quite less than the Clarins one), has a natural finish - actually probably better than the Extra-Comfort... but has few colours. If you are one of the lucky ones that can find your colour, the Artdeco one is better, in my opinion. The packaging is slightly annoying though - a glass jar with a spatula inside. The formula is also thicker than the Clarins one. Also, if you use foundation under your eyes and it creases, try Too Faced Shadow Insuranse there - it helps Me at least.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by hatrick01

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Really love this! Smooth, easy to spread and sets to a natural soft focused finish. Scent is gorgous. (Fragrance does not bother me - unless it stinks). I have redness and sensitive skin and I find this foundation to be soothing. Coverage is med - full, not cakey. Can become oily in several hours like every other foundation I have, but a simple blot with a tissue takes care of that. This lasts on me about 5 hours before disappearing - that's amazing for me, usually I'm touching up after 3 hours. Face looks smooth and never cracks or seeps into lines. I prefer cream foundations cause I feel they cover better and don't need to keep putting layers on like I do from liquids. This reminds me of Germaine Monteil from the 1980's. Love this. Just need to see how it holds up in summer, but it is a light weight base.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2014 3:25:00 AM More reviews by funnyblossom

Just got this foundation and it feels wonderful. Plumping and smoothing. Very good for mature skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by gioja

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was introduced to this foundation at the Clarins counter when buying their new concealer. I have combination skin but the heating and air conditioning at work made my skin very dehydrated and I needed something very moisturizing and long lasting at the same time.
I told the MA that I love Estee Lauder foundations, especially Futuriste, which is supposed to be discontinued soon, and asked if Clarins had something similar. She gave me a sample of this foundation and I tried it the next day, not expecting much as I have never been impressed by their foundations. The colour of the sample happened to be quite a good match for my complexion and, surprise surprise, the texture was amazing!

It is a sort of gel-like cream, not heavy at all and when you apply it on the skin it is more like applying a moisturizer than a foundation. Once on the skin it is almost invisible. The coverage is medium-full but also sheer if you apply it sparingly or mix it with your moisturizer.

The finish is satiny, not too matt and not too dewy, very natural considering the coverage. It doesn’t highlight pores and lines, it doesn’t cake or crease, for this reason I can also use it under my eyes. The skin feels hydrated, tightened and plumped. It smells pleasant fresh, something like cucumber and floral.
One thing I love is that it is quite long lasting. After few hours only my nose needs a touch up but the rest of my face looks fine. Applying powder on the top gives it even more coverage and lasting power without looking cakey. Only in very hot humid weather it started to melt and become too dewy.
Another thing I love is that it doesn’t contain chemical sunscreens but only Titanium Dioxide, and this also in an amount that doesn’t reflect white on pictures.

My only problem is the colour range. I had initially 108 Sable which in the jar looked neutral beige, even a bit too light for me, but once on my skin it darkened in a warm way. So I bought 105 Nude, which looks quite light peachy-beige and is a better match for my pale winter skin. Now I have two jars but I plan to use both, one in winter and one in summer and to mix them to achieve the perfect nuance. Both together will make 60ml which is not too much, especially considering that you can use it with heavy hand, especially on the zones where you need more coverage.

The two big deterrents are the price, unjustified expensive, and the glass jar with a not very tight stopper under the lid which makes a mess every time I use it but, also for hygienic reasons, I have decanted it in a smaller jar and refill every two weeks.

For reference, 103 Ivory (very light neutral beige with yellow undertones) and 105 Nude (light cool beige with peach undertone) are available only in the UK so it is worth buying it online. 108 Sable (medium-light neutral-warm beige) is comparable to the new EL Double Wear 1N2 Ecru whereas 107 Beige (medium-light cool beige) is quite pink and can look even darker than 108 on neutral or warm skin. 109 Wheat (medium cool-beige) is again very pink-deep-beige and I guess it would look gorgeous when I’m tanned – when my perfect match is the old EL DW in 3C2 Pebble.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by MysticM

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this recently, and I'm really impressed!

Its a thick cream consistency but blends into the skin beautifully. Coverage is medium, and finish is very natural & satiny. On my normal/dry skin it looks extremely skin-like, but perfected! I would wear this on a special occasion or during the day, as I get good coverage as well as a natural finish.

Ive tried a couple of application techniques, but it works best with fingers... there was too much coverage with a brush, and it looked a little too heavy.

Cons - its really expensive! I paid €43, the most I've ever spent on a foundation!
Packaging looks really luxe, its in a heavy glass jar with a gold lid. This is not my favourite, as I much prefer a tube or a bottle with a pump for reasons of hygiene. I use a q-tip to scoop out a little product.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by Alison1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I' was given a tester of this to try when trying to decide between the two full coverage foundations made by clarins... Everlasting and this one extra comfort. It comes in a jar which is not too hygienic compared to the everlasting pump. This was moisturising but definately not full coverage, more medium coverage. Staying power was also not too good. I put this on at 10 and it was melting by 4pm. I definitely prefer the everlasting over this one!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Princesseren

I bought this product on the sales person's recommendation. I am combination skin, but I have been very dry this past winter. My regular Guerlain foundation is not doing much for me these days... I must say I hated it from the beginning! The jar packaging is horrible... the price $60 in Canada is completely overpriced for very little product and a massive glass jar! But the worse part is that the foundation did not last even an hour! It made me incredibly oily and it was just a mess. This foundation is NOT for combination skin type (although Clarins says it works for everyone). Avoid the pain and look for something else...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Laski

I had a sample of this in the color "112 Amber", which was only slightly darker than my usual foundations. What I liked about it: It melts nicely into the skin, no matter in which way I applied it - fingers, brush, sponge - it always had a nice finish, delivers quite much coverage while keeping the skin moisturized and soft. Especially now during the cold season, I appreciated the glowy, beautiful finish. But unfortunately, it´s just too heavy for my skin - it´s really very nourishing and creamy, and even though it didn´t make me break out, I looked quite shiny after few hours. So - for somebody with very dry skin, I guess it would be perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I had never used Clarins foundation before...but on my hunt for the perfect foundation to suit my dry, dehydrated, aging, lackluster winter skin, this foundation kept popping up. It came highly recommended, but it's not yet available in the USA so I but the bullet and ordered from the UK. I was nervous but now I see why this foundation is getting great reviews...it's wonderful!!
It is a fairly thick cream but the texture is neither heavy nor greasy. It is super easy to apply and I have gotten great results with many different brushes and my fingers alike. It spreads over the skin easily and feels nourishing like a good moisturizer, also, it doesn't get staunchy or accentuate pores like many other thick cream formulas I've tried. Coverage can be sheered out to light or built up to medium and while it covers the red in my cheeks, I do need a seperate concealer for under my eyes. It wears wonderfully, stayed put even in my shine-prone t-zone, and makes my lines/imperfections less visible (I'm guessing due to the hydration factor) while blending seamlessly into my skin. I am right around nc20-23 right now and got shade 103 which is actually a bit too light...but I like this foundation so much I've been warming it up with a bit of bronzer or a drop of Soleil tan de chanel sheer illuminating fluid just until my jar of shade 105 arrives which I suspect will be my match ((I will update if not...it seems shade 104 is not available in this formula for some reason)).

I only have 2 complaints about this foundation: I hate the scent. I really just hate it tons...but it fades rather quickly so it's not a deal breaker. It's not a perfumed scent, but more of a fresh scent reminiscent of cucumbers mixed with something I just can't put my finger on. I usually prefer fresher scents, but this one really isn't up my alley. Secondly, the packaging. I can't help it...I complain repeatedly, yet I'm forever drawn to these foundations in elegant glass jars! It's a nice heavy glass jar with a sleek gold screw-on lid and a frosted finish that's quite attractive...but I make a terrible mess with jars...period. The sanitary issue isn't what concerns me, it's basically my inability not to get foundation everywhere while replacing the stopper and then the lid! Alas, my 3 favorite foundation formulas are housed in jars...so it is what it is! My theory is that some things are just worth the mess...and this is one of them!

Bottom line: if you have dry/dehydrated skin, aging skin like mine that's lost some of it's luster and needs nourished, or even skin on the dry side that is a bit shiny in places...I think this foundation would be a beautiful fit. It's actually reasonably priced in my opinion...but if you're in the US, it'll cost you a bit more to order internationally OR you can wait it out until Spring 2014 when it is released stateside (as per Clarins USA rep). I couldn't wait and I'm not regretting it a bit! The big shipping fee was palpable once I thought of how much I might have spent trying to find a formula that does what Extra Comfort does :). I will update with any changes but for now it's a huge thumbs up!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by fayewilkinson

This foundation is great for winter time when my skin gets a little drier yet I still want a healthy glow. I have tried most if the Clarins foundations as I love their skincare, However this is not my favorite foundation they do but I think it looks lovely on the skin. The best part is that it is super hydrating and it gives the skin a lovely glow. I have used this product on more mature skin and I think it looks a lot better then on a young skin. If you mix a little bit of the Clarins Double Serum with the foundation it creates the most flawless face ever!!

Definitely a great foundation for dry skin and more mature skin.

The packaging is great because you can get every last but of makeup out.

Thumbs up from me!