Revlon Matte Top Coat

3.2

on 7/15/2015 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Applies smoothly, provides a real matte finish, and it dries very fast. You can actually watch it dry in seconds. I got this at CVS dirt cheap with coupons & ECBs.

on 1/3/2015 12:17:00 PM

I love this top coat! This layers well over other nail polishes and really does leave a matte finish. It does not chip easily and lasts about five days to a week. I would repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I normally like Revlon products, but this was a bit underhwelming. It dried quickly and did not go on streaky, but as other people said, it lost a lot of it's matte effect after a few days. It chipped a little faster than my normal top coat (Essie Good To Go). It's really more of a satin finish than matte after about 24 hours. I actually really like the satin look, but it's not a good matte top coat.

on 7/14/2014 3:50:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I don't like it very much. For me, it was pretty easy to apply and the brush was nice. I did not get streaky application and even with a thick layer it dried very fast. It gave the typical matte look you'd expect.

However, for some reason it faded off my nails! It was weird, in a day or two my nails would be shiny again so I'd have to keep redoing it. Never had that happen before. Also, when you brush it on you have to be careful because the polish grabs the other colors so you might move some polish if ya get what I mean. The brush is also stained.

You can get matte top coats that are a lot better, I've been living OPIs matte top coat.

on 5/12/2014 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is not that great of a matte top coat. You have to use VERY thin coats to get the matte effect, if you don't it will look super shiny...don't even know how that's possible but it does. I found it took way too long to dry (most matte top coats are within seconds) this was a few minutes or more.

It's not that matte either, its more of a dull look. I was not impressed with this and will not repurchase. If you want a great matte top coat, check out OPI and Essie's. This is a waste of money unless you want more of a dull look. It's not a true matte.

on 1/31/2014 3:57:00 PM

This does a good job creating a matte effect, but my main complaint is how streaky it is. I think a wider brush would help. I also find that when I apply this on top of a matte polishes, the polish tends to chip the same day. It's less than $5 but I wouldn't repurchase.

on 12/27/2013 4:12:00 PM

I hate this stuff! In fact, I havent been very impressed with any of the Revlon polishes. It went on so streaky and bumpy. I thought it was a bad bottle, and knowing not to put polish thinner in matte polish, I bought another bottle that was just as bad. So now I've got 2 of these dumb polishes that I will never use. At least they weren't expensive, I guess.

on 12/24/2013 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I was looking for a decent matte top coat at Walmart in the Nail Care area and the lady in the makeup area lead me to the Revlon section. This was the LAST ONE. I was really happy and, apparently, very lucky because I didn't see any others anywhere in the Cosmetics/Beauty section. I was looking for a matte top coat because I saw a fun-looking YouTube video on how to make your nails look like cartoon nails and the steps said to use a matte top coat. Now I just put it on and like the look of matte nails.
I truly do LOVE this matte top coat, it dries in under a minute but it is still tacky and mess-up-able, then, within a couple more minutes it's dry and I tested (tested on my toenail) to see if a fingernail mark would show up. NOPE. It dried as hard as a bare nail! It has virtually no shine and is perfect!

Price: $5
Where I bought it: Walmart
Also, the link to the YouTube video I mentioned (in case you were interested):

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Matte top coats come at various price points, but I've liked Revlon's polish formula overall so I decided to try this out as it was inexpensive and I expected it to perform well. Overall, I like this and think this is a good budget conscious way to expand your nail polish wardrobe by having this as a finish option.

The top coat itself is a thick, semi-transparent liquid that can feel a little gloppy when putting it on, I make sure to get as much excess off on the neck of the bottle before applying. Applying it is decent and the brush helps spread it out more evenly despite the thick texture. It dries to the touch within a minute and leaves the nails with a near matte finish. The top coat still feels smooth to the touch after being dried. I've also found that this topcoat helps with wear time and prevents chipping fairly well.

My concern with this is that given it's thick texture, that it may dry out pretty quickly into something I can no longer use, but since it's on the cheaper side that's no major loss.

Popular Top/Base Coats