November 24, 2014 | 964 users online

Liquid - By Terry - Terrybly Densiliss

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 4:48:00 AM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Bummer, I wanted to love this so much. After reading stellar reviews, I bit the bullet and purchased this foundation. I'm NC15 and shade 3 was a good match with 2 being too light and 4 being too yellow/dark. A word of caution: if you have skin prone to dehydration, this foundation will suck the life from it. I can't figure out where all the bloggers got the "super moisturizing" claims from because I found this foundation very ill suited for my dry, dehydration prone skin. The finish was a flat matte and aged me terribly as it accentuated every line on my face. It dried out my skin even when used with moisturizing primer and a hefty skincare prep routine. I have to give it some credit though...it applies easily and wears like iron! Coverage is also very good and can be sheered out or built up to full. I just think it was a bad choice for my skin type...if one has normal or normal to oily skin, I think it would be great base. Maybe not worth $115 usd, but still a good base. It's also very heavily fragranced but I rather enjoy the scent of By Terry Bases so that wasn't an issue for me. Packaging is a beautiful heavy glass bottle that's tall and sleek with a silver lid, and it has a pump that works nicely and is hygienic. I am a huge fan of By Terry, but this foundation just wasn't for me.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by 39Dena

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in no. 8 and it's a good match for my skin tone. I love the way it feels on the skin. Highly recommend

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I'm using no.7 in this which is a good match for me. The texture seems quite thick and I find it easy to overdo the amount used. I'm finding it difficult to give a fair review of this product tbh, as although it can give really good coverage and a flawless finish, I think it's almost too much (for me anyway). So although it's an excellent foundation, I think it's not for me on a daily basis - I just look too 'made-up'. This probably says more about me than the foundation. I'll try using much less and see if I can make it work for me. If you're after a perfect and flawless make-up look this foundation is for you. Heck of a price though...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by FrauleinM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've struggled with hyperpigmentation, acne and dryness - this feels incredibly light and yet gives full coverage and flawless finish. You only need a few drops and I recommend using something like the beauty blender sponge. Easy to layer for more coverage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At $115 for 1 fl. oz., Terrybly Densiliss was never really on my radar. I've always enjoyed Cover Expert, but I knew Densiliss was part-serum, part-foundation, and I just didn't think the serum mark-up was worth it for my twenty-something skin.

Still, I had (and have) been looking for a new foundation and there are quite a few great testimonials concerning this product, so I picked up a few samples from Space NK in Bloomingdale's (they are amazing with samples, btw).

The first thing I noticed about Densiliss was that it came in a glass bottle and looked rather luxurious. Cover (and Sheer) Expert, on the other hand, make use of tube packaging, which is travel-friendly but suffers from a leaky-cap issue and just doesn't look very nice.

The second thing I noticed was the shade selection. Okay, so I actually saw Beauty Professor's swatches weeks earlier, but that just made me super aware of the fact that I would be having some problems. I'm #7 in Cover Expert, which could be a tad lighter and a bit more yellow, but works pretty well regardless. According to BP, #7 in Densiliss is NC25-27, which I feel is accurate. When I try to go lighter, I have to skip #6 and #5 because they are very rosy -- you will be able to tell right away when looking at a line-up of the bottles. #4 is the next down in terms of yellow shades, and BP says it is NC20. Personally, I thought it was even lighter than NC20, though not by too much.

The friendly Space NK SA gave me generous samples of #4, #5, and #7. Unfortunately, I tried them all and none of them work for my warm, NC20-25 skin. #4 is certainly too light, #5 is too pink, and #7 is too dark.

Another aspect to consider is the scent. It reminds me of Cover Expert but I don't feel that it is exactly the same (not that I really know fragrances). What I will say, however, is that the scent is strong and you might want to take a sniff if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

As for the foundation itself, the product has a liquidy consistency and feels moisturizing and lightweight. I thought it would be sheer upon initial application, but the formula actually offered light coverage that was easily buildable to medium. It's remarkable how much coverage you can get while still looking rather natural. As someone with areas of hyperpigmentation, I don't think you can quite make it to full coverage, but this does get close and looks beautiful doing it, though you should expect things to look a bit cakey and less natural if you attempt to go all the away.

The only other thing I want to say about the coverage is that I found it a little difficult to cover active blemishes, which I think is because the consistency of the formula is a bit on the thin side.

In terms of application, I've successfully tried Densiliss with both my fingers and a Beautyblender sponge. I think the bb gives a more flawless finish, but using fingers works well too. I feel that the product blends in so effortlessly even with just fingers because its formula allows for a beautiful smoothing effect (it is silicone-y). I have a lot of textural issues due to old blemishes and this foundation just glides over them, not emphasizing them in the least. The same goes for my pores. What I'm left with is smooth, soft skin that looks flawless. Even on clean skin with no primer, I have had great results. The finish is a beautiful satin, not matte but not dewy, and the product does dry down nicely.

As an aside, I've noticed some people seem to have issues with the foundation accentuating dry patches. I haven't had this issue, though I haven't really had any dry patches recently either.
Another thing I wanted to mention is that the formula does contain alcohol. I am sensitive to alcohol (barring any fatty derivatives), but I didn't have any hydration issues with this product. I'm guessing it's because the alcohol isn't very high on the ingredient list.

My skin gets pretty oily so I suppose it's natural that a serum foundation wouldn't do well on it. I wasn't crazy oily, but I did get pretty shiny after a few hours. Still, I didn't see separating or much breaking down of the foundation. I can't comment too much on the lasting power, though, because I only wore this formula for around six hours. And while I would normally try again (for science), well...

This formula broke me out :( I am acne-prone but I have tried a lot of foundations (tons of samples) and I've only really broken out from a couple formulas. Sadly, this is one of them. I've tried this product on three separate occasions and each time, I've experienced new breakouts all over. Of course, this kind of thing is very personal.

Overall, I think this is a beautiful foundation, but it is very expensive, didn't work well with my oiliness, and broke me out.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Glycerin, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol, Dextrin Palmitate, Phenoxyethanol, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Talc, Pentylene Glycol, Parfum/Fragrance, Aluminum Hydroxide, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hibiscus Abelmoschus Extract, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Silica, Xanthan Gum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Palmitic Acid, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Eugenol, Citronellol, May Contain (+/-):, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891, Iron Oxides ( CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), CI 77019 (Mica)

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Given the hefty $115 price tag for the not-yet-available-in-US Terrybly Densillis foundation from By Terry if it was not absolutely magical it was going back.

It's not going back.

I don't quite know how to describe it, because it goes on like no other foundation I have tried. It definitely has a serum-like consistency, with superb coverage, although the natural colors and texture of my skin still appear visible, making it look very natural.

I put a bit of it on the back of my hand so I could watch how it does what it does close up. It seems to hug the surface of the skin with a very thin, barely visible film that fills in fine lines without pooling. It is both matte and illuminating, covering the light brown spots on my hand amazingly well and smoothing out the texture, but I could barely see it.

When I used it on my face I put Sqalane oil on first, then covered half my face with a thin coat of Shiseido primer, and left the other half bare. Initial impressions:

- feels divine on your skin, very smooth and hydrating
- I liked it on its own better than with a primer. It seems to need to be right on your skin to do its thing.
- very, very slight pooling in my large pores. I'd probably prime just there first next time.
- satin more than matte finish. I didn't powder over it bc I wanted to see how it wore through the day on its own.
- best of all for me anyway, it's a really, really good concealer, as you would imagine it might be.
- very easily buildable; you can go from whisper thin to fairly concentrated and it really isn't noticeable
- covers my medium grade rosacea very well, without the need for green correctors.
- you only need the teensiest amount (I know everyone says this about expensive products, but this time it's true). Half a pump will do your whole face.
- I have some drying and sloughing from Retin A and it did not cling to dead skin and give me "snake face."
- downside: REALLY heavily perfumed.

I purchased it in A01 creamy ivory, and I frequently have problems with many lines having no foundation light enough for me. It is maybe a smidge too light and just a hair too blue, but on the whole not a bad match at all, certainly better than I am frequently able to get in lines with limited shades. I may go with the next shade darker next time and see if I can mix the two.

After a few hours as others have noted I started to get a bit glowy, but it hadn't started to slide off my face or oxidize as other foundations often do. The coverage was still excellent.

In short, I'll definitely buy again. It may take some playing around to get the right cocktail of powders, primers etc, but for me it does live up to the hype as a new generation of foundations quite unlike any I've seen before. Extremely natural looking with superb coverage, a rare achievement in the world of foundations.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 7:59:00 AM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a fantastic foundation with a VERY hefty price tag. Medium to full coverage, finish on the matter side however not completely matte and good staying power. It looks very natural on the skin and it does a very good job in making pores and wrinkles much less noticeable - like having a pore refining primer underneath however without using a primer... I must say though that Chanel Lift Lumiere does an equally good job at that at a much lesser price tag.. Even though this foundation is fantastic I still prefer the (now unfortunately discontinued) Teint Delectation in the By Terry range (I have tried 3 - Teint Delectation, Sheer Expert and Densiliss) as I prefer a satin finish, and the formula of Teint Delectation is excellent for my dry skin - and even more natural looking. The Beauty Professor has excellent swatches and descriptions of all shades. I was given deluxe samples of 2 (much too light) and 5 (too peach) for my currently NC20-25 skin. I tried the 7 as well and that was a tad bit too yellow... I will not be purchasing a full size as there are other foundations that I prefer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by MakeupLovingNurse

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm scared to say it..........HOLY GRAIL!!!! This foundation lasted a 13 hr night duty in a boiling hospital environment with plenty of stress and running around with ease. It's is defo pricey, retailing @ £75.00, but One pump covers the whole face and results in a "soft matte" medium to full finish. It's marketed as a foundation-serum hybrid and while I can't comment on the long term benefits, it definitely smooths the texture of the skin and diminished the appearance of pores and fine lines on application. I didn't bother with a primer but applied over biologique recherché ' dermopurificante and set with Nars loose powder. I consider my skin to be dry/dehydrated with and oiler tzone and quite red and blotchy. My face was almost still immaculate at 0745 this morning bar some shine through the t zone. I can honestly say I have never been so impressed with the initial use of a foundation, and I can assure you that I've tried (and was disappointed with) many! I just hope it performs the same again tonight; ill update my romance with this piece of Heaven ;)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Laski

This foundation surprised me with its quite full coverage! I thought it would be more translucent, but it hides absolutely every flaw, which is not a bad thing at all. The best result I reached when applying it with my fingers, surprisingly it looked a bit streaky or splotchy when I tried using it with a brush or beautyblender. It leaves a matte finish in my skin, so I really don´t need powder afterwards. Unfortunately, about two hours later, my skin starts to look quite oily, so the matte effect doesn´t last all day. Also, the finish doesn´t look so natural, it´s visible that there is foundation on the skin. So I´m a bit split about this product, all in all I like the Expert Cover and Sheer Cover Foundations from By Terry a lot more, and I think there are better foundations on the market, especially considering the hefty price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 7:39:00 AM More reviews by symphorosa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

The new By Terry Densiliss foundation is possibly the most expensive foundation on the market ( 85€/75$) right now. It's advertised as a serum fdt, a hybrid between makeup and skin care. I've been using this for only a couple of days, so I can't really say anything about how or if it affects skin with continued use.
High price aside, this product is absolutely amazing! It gives a creamy, matte finish that looks like your skin but better. I use shade 2 ( Creamy Ivory), which is a true neutral! Ivory ( very hard to find ) and suitable for NC 15 and possibly even paler skin. It goes on like a dream, stays put even without powder on top ( normal skin) and doesn't oxidise. It comes in a sleek and hygienic glass container with a pump. It smoothes lines around the eyes and gives an ethereal glow to the face withought making you look like a disco ball...Highly recommended for slightly mature skin!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No