By Terry Terrybly Densiliss

4.4

on 5/19/2015 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HG foundation!
Yes, ladies, that is correct. This foundation is HG for me. After years of searching and being nitpicky and at 44, I've found it! Here is why....

1. It does not oxidise (like Dior Forever, Dior Star, Lancome, Clarins Everlasting et al)
2. Does not magnify or settle in facial lines.
3. Has a soft focus or satin finish which is essential for us post 40 gals.
4. Has medium to full coverage without appearing cakey.
5. Lasts all day despite being an anti aging serum formulation.
6. Dries to a dry not wet finish, so no need to powder to set this foundation.

The only two negatives I can think of are first, the price which is more than high end at $154 (Australian) and double cost of my Dior Forever. Second, there is not a great variety of colour options to choose from. That being said, it is a fantastic foundation for aging skin (I am normal to dry skin, so I'm unsure how this would perform for you oily - skin ladies) with lines and I found perfect colour for my NC 20-25 being the 5.5 rosy sand. For colour reference, I am neutral tending towards yellow (but not yellow) and any pink undertone foundations make me look ashy or grey.

Ladies, I highly highly recommend this foundation. It is the bomb....for me. Pity about the cost, but worth every dollar and I only use 1 pump to cover my whole face so it will last. I will definitely repurchase this foundation. Incidentally, it works brilliantly with the densiliss concealer which I use for under eye dark circles and highlighting. Also costly product, but again worth every dollar.

on 2/8/2015 9:43:00 AM

I really love this, despite the cost. Just one drop, plus half a drop of Terry brightening serum, covers beautifully with enough to give a little extra attention to a nasty broken vein. Coverage is good but still looks natural and it lasts!. I find it easier to use my fingers to apply and it does go on more easily over a primer. I've had no adverse reactions but as to whether it improves my 76 year old skin I can't really say. But what I can be certain about is that it's a lovely product, elegantly packaged and so far I've not found anything to beat it. I use the Light Amber shade with a tiny drop of the Immaculate Light brightening serum. I might change that to a warmer shade when summer comes.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ok. This is a beautiful foundation. It goes on so silky but dries pretty quickly being it's a serum. I'm 45 and dry so this offers me moisture AND full coverage and leaves my face feeling completely covered but with a very soft focus touch. I know it's expensive, most of her products are but this line is extremely luxurious and does what it says. Only problem I really have is the coloring. Wish they had more colors to choose from. The color I got was too light so I either have to wear some bronzer to warm up my face or mix it. I hate mixing it when I spent so much but it goes with whatever you choose to mix it with and it still leaves a beautiful finish that stays on all day. It feels very hydrating also and I love that. Winter time in Texas is not as bad as some of you have but when your skin isn't use to the cold it can change drastically... Final opinion - winner for the old ladies. For you youngens save your money.... Your skin isn't all about this yet. :-)

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Double wear, but better. Needs some prep, but worth it.
So here's the deal, this foundation covers like a full coverage matte, but makes your skin look ultra perfect and about five years younger. It's also super hydrating.
What it won't do: it doesn't sit well on skin which is currently under hydrated/ flaky/ not properly prepped. In this situation it'll actually make it looks worse 😳 . So, my advice is to either give yourself a mini facial once a week, or, try something a little oily underneath it. Even a couple of drops of good quality hydrating oil like sunday riley Juno, or something with some slip like chantecaille anti glycation primer. Shake the bottle ( it's got luminising pigments which tend to sink to the bottom) and apply with a paddle style brush. Do NOT rub it in while it is drying- this make up 'sets' and gives a lifting effect so it'll go patchy if you rub it during the setting process.
I know this seems like a lot of fuss but it really does make you look a good solid five years younger, plus covering pretty much any redness/ pigmentation etc, so in my book that's worth a bit of effort. Photographs stunningly well.
This foundation would suit someone who already looks after their skin who wants a super perfect finish. Wears all day without rubbing off.

on 4/13/2014 4:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Bummer, I wanted to love this so much. After reading stellar reviews, I bit the bullet and purchased this foundation. I'm NC15 and shade 3 was a good match with 2 being too light and 4 being too yellow/dark. A word of caution: if you have skin prone to dehydration, this foundation will suck the life from it. I can't figure out where all the bloggers got the "super moisturizing" claims from because I found this foundation very ill suited for my dry, dehydration prone skin. The finish was a flat matte and aged me terribly as it accentuated every line on my face. It dried out my skin even when used with moisturizing primer and a hefty skincare prep routine. I have to give it some credit though...it applies easily and wears like iron! Coverage is also very good and can be sheered out or built up to full. I just think it was a bad choice for my skin type...if one has normal or normal to oily skin, I think it would be great base. Maybe not worth $115 usd, but still a good base. It's also very heavily fragranced but I rather enjoy the scent of By Terry Bases so that wasn't an issue for me. Packaging is a beautiful heavy glass bottle that's tall and sleek with a silver lid, and it has a pump that works nicely and is hygienic. I am a huge fan of By Terry, but this foundation just wasn't for me.

on 4/9/2014 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have this in no. 8 and it's a good match for my skin tone. I love the way it feels on the skin. Highly recommend

on 4/5/2014 3:34:00 PM

I'm using no.7 in this which is a good match for me. The texture seems quite thick and I find it easy to overdo the amount used. I'm finding it difficult to give a fair review of this product tbh, as although it can give really good coverage and a flawless finish, I think it's almost too much (for me anyway). So although it's an excellent foundation, I think it's not for me on a daily basis - I just look too 'made-up'. This probably says more about me than the foundation. I'll try using much less and see if I can make it work for me. If you're after a perfect and flawless make-up look this foundation is for you. Heck of a price though...

on 3/3/2014 4:54:00 PM

I've struggled with hyperpigmentation, acne and dryness - this feels incredibly light and yet gives full coverage and flawless finish. You only need a few drops and I recommend using something like the beauty blender sponge. Easy to layer for more coverage.

on 1/27/2014 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

At $115 for 1 fl. oz., Terrybly Densiliss was never really on my radar. I've always enjoyed Cover Expert, but I knew Densiliss was part-serum, part-foundation, and I just didn't think the serum mark-up was worth it for my twenty-something skin.

Still, I had (and have) been looking for a new foundation and there are quite a few great testimonials concerning this product, so I picked up a few samples from Space NK in Bloomingdale's (they are amazing with samples, btw).

The first thing I noticed about Densiliss was that it came in a glass bottle and looked rather luxurious. Cover (and Sheer) Expert, on the other hand, make use of tube packaging, which is travel-friendly but suffers from a leaky-cap issue and just doesn't look very nice.

The second thing I noticed was the shade selection. Okay, so I actually saw Beauty Professor's swatches weeks earlier, but that just made me super aware of the fact that I would be having some problems. I'm #7 in Cover Expert, which could be a tad lighter and a bit more yellow, but works pretty well regardless. According to BP, #7 in Densiliss is NC25-27, which I feel is accurate. When I try to go lighter, I have to skip #6 and #5 because they are very rosy -- you will be able to tell right away when looking at a line-up of the bottles. #4 is the next down in terms of yellow shades, and BP says it is NC20. Personally, I thought it was even lighter than NC20, though not by too much.

The friendly Space NK SA gave me generous samples of #4, #5, and #7. Unfortunately, I tried them all and none of them work for my warm, NC20-25 skin. #4 is certainly too light, #5 is too pink, and #7 is too dark.

Another aspect to consider is the scent. It reminds me of Cover Expert but I don't feel that it is exactly the same (not that I really know fragrances). What I will say, however, is that the scent is strong and you might want to take a sniff if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

As for the foundation itself, the product has a liquidy consistency and feels moisturizing and lightweight. I thought it would be sheer upon initial application, but the formula actually offered light coverage that was easily buildable to medium. It's remarkable how much coverage you can get while still looking rather natural. As someone with areas of hyperpigmentation, I don't think you can quite make it to full coverage, but this does get close and looks beautiful doing it, though you should expect things to look a bit cakey and less natural if you attempt to go all the away.

The only other thing I want to say about the coverage is that I found it a little difficult to cover active blemishes, which I think is because the consistency of the formula is a bit on the thin side.

In terms of application, I've successfully tried Densiliss with both my fingers and a Beautyblender sponge. I think the bb gives a more flawless finish, but using fingers works well too. I feel that the product blends in so effortlessly even with just fingers because its formula allows for a beautiful smoothing effect (it is silicone-y). I have a lot of textural issues due to old blemishes and this foundation just glides over them, not emphasizing them in the least. The same goes for my pores. What I'm left with is smooth, soft skin that looks flawless. Even on clean skin with no primer, I have had great results. The finish is a beautiful satin, not matte but not dewy, and the product does dry down nicely.

As an aside, I've noticed some people seem to have issues with the foundation accentuating dry patches. I haven't had this issue, though I haven't really had any dry patches recently either.
Another thing I wanted to mention is that the formula does contain alcohol. I am sensitive to alcohol (barring any fatty derivatives), but I didn't have any hydration issues with this product. I'm guessing it's because the alcohol isn't very high on the ingredient list.

My skin gets pretty oily so I suppose it's natural that a serum foundation wouldn't do well on it. I wasn't crazy oily, but I did get pretty shiny after a few hours. Still, I didn't see separating or much breaking down of the foundation. I can't comment too much on the lasting power, though, because I only wore this formula for around six hours. And while I would normally try again (for science), well...

This formula broke me out :( I am acne-prone but I have tried a lot of foundations (tons of samples) and I've only really broken out from a couple formulas. Sadly, this is one of them. I've tried this product on three separate occasions and each time, I've experienced new breakouts all over. Of course, this kind of thing is very personal.

Overall, I think this is a beautiful foundation, but it is very expensive, didn't work well with my oiliness, and broke me out.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Glycerin, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol, Dextrin Palmitate, Phenoxyethanol, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Talc, Pentylene Glycol, Parfum/Fragrance, Aluminum Hydroxide, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hibiscus Abelmoschus Extract, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Silica, Xanthan Gum, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Palmitic Acid, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Eugenol, Citronellol, May Contain (+/-):, Titanium Dioxide/CI 77891, Iron Oxides ( CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), CI 77019 (Mica)

on 1/3/2014 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Given the hefty $115 price tag for the not-yet-available-in-US Terrybly Densillis foundation from By Terry if it was not absolutely magical it was going back.

It's not going back.

I don't quite know how to describe it, because it goes on like no other foundation I have tried. It definitely has a serum-like consistency, with superb coverage, although the natural colors and texture of my skin still appear visible, making it look very natural.

I put a bit of it on the back of my hand so I could watch how it does what it does close up. It seems to hug the surface of the skin with a very thin, barely visible film that fills in fine lines without pooling. It is both matte and illuminating, covering the light brown spots on my hand amazingly well and smoothing out the texture, but I could barely see it.

When I used it on my face I put Sqalane oil on first, then covered half my face with a thin coat of Shiseido primer, and left the other half bare. Initial impressions:

- feels divine on your skin, very smooth and hydrating
- I liked it on its own better than with a primer. It seems to need to be right on your skin to do its thing.
- very, very slight pooling in my large pores. I'd probably prime just there first next time.
- satin more than matte finish. I didn't powder over it bc I wanted to see how it wore through the day on its own.
- best of all for me anyway, it's a really, really good concealer, as you would imagine it might be.
- very easily buildable; you can go from whisper thin to fairly concentrated and it really isn't noticeable
- covers my medium grade rosacea very well, without the need for green correctors.
- you only need the teensiest amount (I know everyone says this about expensive products, but this time it's true). Half a pump will do your whole face.
- I have some drying and sloughing from Retin A and it did not cling to dead skin and give me "snake face."
- downside: REALLY heavily perfumed.

I purchased it in A01 creamy ivory, and I frequently have problems with many lines having no foundation light enough for me. It is maybe a smidge too light and just a hair too blue, but on the whole not a bad match at all, certainly better than I am frequently able to get in lines with limited shades. I may go with the next shade darker next time and see if I can mix the two.

After a few hours as others have noted I started to get a bit glowy, but it hadn't started to slide off my face or oxidize as other foundations often do. The coverage was still excellent.

In short, I'll definitely buy again. It may take some playing around to get the right cocktail of powders, primers etc, but for me it does live up to the hype as a new generation of foundations quite unlike any I've seen before. Extremely natural looking with superb coverage, a rare achievement in the world of foundations.