October 25, 2014 | 1665 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Vanilla Fields (parfum)

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by FoxTanFauxPas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This seems to have been reformulated since the 90's when I wore it as a kid. I remember a pretty linear sweet vanilla scent with a hint of musk. Now it's got some powdery floral mixed in that's not very pleasant in my opinion. That floral blast at the beginning does tone down after the topnotes disappear though, and the sweet vanilla scent that I know and love begins to come through. That powdery vibe tends to linger through the whole thing.
It's a decent scent, a great deal around the holidays (I got my 11ml bottle for $3 at Walmart). But it's not the same scent as I (and many others) remember from their childhood or remember their mothers wearing. I wish they would bring the original formula back!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Having acquired two vintage bottles of Vanilla Fields I've had two completely different reactions to a perfume I've never used before. The first bottle was a horrible smell that eventually morphed into a semi-respectable version of a synthetic vanilla. I wondered what all the fuss was about. And then I happened upon my second bottle, tested it, and found out. No wonder people speak so highly of this little gem! These are vanilla fields, hot with a charred long on the fire smell, when the fire needs to be tended because it's gone too low, only embers are showing with the darkness of the burnt logs. Sure you have a few moments of alcohol whizz to wait through, but once you get through that, then Vanilla Fields begins its journey. The fire needs to be resumed and you're in dire need of replenishment leaves and twigs. It's dark and late, you're foraging and all you find are leaves on the damper side, leaves that have been rotting for awhile, but they'll do with the twigs to spark the dead fire. It comes to life with smoke, the smoke of the fire yet you still have the smell of the wet decayed leaves on your gloves. This is primitive camping at night, late fall, a crisp 40 something degrees and you sit back, a job well done, inhaling the woods around you, the fire in front of you and the forests smell on you. For a very inexpensive perfume, it's worth the try. It has never given me a true vanilla flavor, whether back in the day or now with these two bottles and that's what chemistry is all about. Vanilla Fields seems more about a patchouli woods experience, a very light synthetic vanilla base. A cold weather scent that works very differently for me, and that's what perfume is all about, too. There is a world of difference between "smoke" and "burnt" and both can be equally appreciated in perfumes, especially in the cooler or cold weather months. "Smoke" evokes images of fires and fireplaces, hearths with cinders and smoke curling up chimneys. "Burnt" brings to mind the aftermath of the fire, the logs burnt and charred, blackened with dense smoke. Equally pleasurable, both distinct. No florals for me here, but there are some slightly musky undertones mixed in with the woods. Winds down after roughly five to six hours at the minimum and projection is quite good for an inexpensive drugstore classic. I really do enjoy that charred smell, it's quite different. I could mix in some vanilla with it, but I'm not one to mix my perfumes. I like to let them stand on their own.
Top Notes: Bergamot, Coconut, Peach.
Middle Notes: Lily-Of-Valley, Jasmine, Geranium.
Base Notes: Amber, Virginia Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by aleachhunter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is another one of those perfumes I am ashamed to say I ever wore. I went through about a year (when I was a young teenager) where I wore this constantly - every darn day. Now, when I smell it, I get sick. It's heavy, immature, and cheap. What was I thinking???

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I LOVED this perfume. I started wearing it in the 90's as a teenager. I stopped wearing it because a friend found out what I was wearing and started wearing it too. It did smell different back in the 1990's. It was less floral and more vanilla-amber-powder. It's still lovely though. I recently bought the gift set for $7, it was half off at Walmart the day after Christmas. I can usually find it at Walmart and sometimes Walgreens around the holidays.
The floral notes seem more prominent and are very tropical and balmy. I think it almost smells tropical because of the flowers mixing with the coconut. It is intense at first and very floral. It only lasts a half hour tops and then I get lots of vanilla mixed with tonka bean and some musk and powder. The final dry down is vanilla cookie chemistry.
The new formulation gives me a headache. It's nothing like the 1990's version which was a lovely vanilla, amber and sandalwood. It had little florals.
The new formulation is terrible.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by ilovemacchiato

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great affordable drugstore fragrance! Its a nice vanilla and floral. I wish it was more vanilla and less floral though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by AltCtrlDel

Wow! I love this scent and so do all of the men in my life: father, brothers, boyfriend. I wore expensive fragrances: D&G, Dior, even a couple from Italy. I picked this bottle up while restocking on another scent. When I put it one weekend I got a lot of compliments. My father said I smelled like vanilla ice cream, his favorite. My brothers kept hugging me. My boyfriend said it was his favorite and admitted that D& G light blue smelled like hand sanitizer on me :-P He wants me to wear it more often. A 12 dollar bottle of perfume? Wow. I hope I can find it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by TuttaPanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This perfume has a slightly "heavy" muskier afterscent, and I'm surprised I like it, since musky perfumes just aren't my thing normally, but the vanilla seems to lighten it. It's a nice, "rich" perfume and I like it on me as an evening scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Lyra12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use to wear this when I was in high school and always received compliments on how nice I smelled from both men and women. People would always say "You always smells so nice!". I even had a guy follow me around the library for 5 whole minutes before coming up to me and confessing that he had been following me because I smelled so good.

One of my friends who loved the smell on me went and purchased it for herself and complained that it smelled horrible on her but so good on me. I figured it had a lot of do with body chemistry and just wasn't working for her.

I've had other more expensive perfumes but never have I received compliments as when I use to wear Vanilla Fields. I'm going to purchase it again years later since it's the only one that gets people's attention.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 5:11:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Believe it or not, I'd never smelled this until recently (or maybe I did and forgot). This is good stuff! It reminds me a bit of BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar, with maybe a touch more muskiness. It lasts all day, too. Worth $9.99!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When I was about 12 years old, I recieved this as a gift, but even back then I was too discerning to wear it with any regularity. I remember trying to force myself to like it, but I never did. It smells like vanilla extract, or like someone has been drinking vanilla vodka. That's all you need in the seventh grade is for your teachers to think you're an alcoholic. Men usually tend to like vanilla scents (even though I'm not a big fan), but most of the guys I know who have smelled this on a woman say that this smells like a stripper in a dive bar, or like a teenager's attempt at sex appeal.