April 18, 2014 | 1585 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Black Richesse Excellence Creme - 2B Intense Blue Black

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Funny how the image I have of myself doesn't always match up with what I actually look like. In my mind's eye I have black hair. I'm genetically (mostly) Asian/Pacific Islander, and both of my parents are mostly Asian/PI, and we have black hair. But then sometimes I go outside and happen to see my hair in the sunshine, and it's not really black. It seems to grow out of my head black, but then turns into a bronzy dark brown for no apparent reason, and I think, "That's not right!" And when I was a small child, my mother cut my long thick hair and saved it. I didn't have black hair as a kid. It was definitely medium brown. Anyway, I usually think natural is best, but when it comes to my hair, I want black hair. BLACK BLACK hair. In the last few months I've been resenting the reddish bronze I see when I go outside, and I decided to color it.

This is definitely BLACK-BLACK. I don't think I've ever seen my hair darker. It's rich and inky. I LOVE THIS. It feels right. I don't really see any blue though. The last couple of times I colored my hair, I used foam kits. This is the traditional sort, and it came with a comb tip but that didn't work well for me. I switched back to the regular applicator tip. It was a bit messy, but coloring my hair usually is. I applied the protection cream to my ends, then spread on Vaseline around my hairline and neck and on my ears and put on a clay mask to both treat my face and protect it from color, then got to work. I left it on for 30 minutes, lathered up and rinsed until the water was clear. It seemed to stain my cuticles but a couple of hand washings took care of that. Oh, and the few greys I've seen sprouting lately are gone. I don't have a lot of grey yet for some reason, which is weird because my father was salt and pepper by 21, so I can't really judge this objectively when it comes to covering grey, but overall this is a great product in my opinion. The fumes weren't bad, my hair doesn't seem any drier than it was before, and my only real complaint is the pair of flimsy gloves. Okay, they worked. They protected my hands but I like the heavier pro gloves that come with JF and Garnier a lot better.