April 21, 2014 | 1098 users online

Styling Products - Living Proof - Perfect Hair Day

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 9:49:00 AM More reviews by Bclancy

This is my first product from Living Proof. Even though I have often heard good things about the line in general, and this product in particular, I resisted trying it for a very long time because the way this company markets their products annoyed me. Any company that implies that their hair products are more "technologically advanced" than anything else on the market makes me VERY skeptical. It seems like they use technobabble and their MIT pedigree to justify the price of their products. I don't mind paying high end prices for my haircare if the product is good, I just don't like the pretense. I prefer to buy from lines like Bumble and Bumble, whose products are expensive, but they don't try to justify their prices with a lot of over the top claims. LP's use of celebrity endorsements also annoys me, although to be fair they're really no worse than the other high end salon brands in this regard. Anyway, I was looking to try something different than my usual silicone based smoothing creams, and wanted to try something from a brand I'd never tried. When I read all the positive reviews for this and found out it is silicone free(I'm pretty sure all LP products are silicone and sulfate free, which is nice) I finally broke down and bought it. I was in love from the first use. Because of my bias against the brand, I waited and tested it out in a variety of ways and did a side-by-side comparison test between it and other products before writing this review. It claims to "smooth, strengthen, volumize, polish and condition". I don't know that it does all these things, and it would be naive to expect miracles, but it certainly is a good product. I tested it against my former usual smoothing cream, Bumble and Bumble Grooming Creme, against the leave in Bumble Quenching Complex, both of which have silicones. It definitely smoothes my hair. I see fewer baby hairs sticking up when I use this. It makes my hair incredibly soft, way way softer than Gooming Creme*, Quenching Complex, or for that matter any other product I recall using. In fact I cannot stop touching my hair it is so soft and silky. Not only that, but my hair STAYS smooth until I wash it again, even if I go four days without washing! One time I layered a ton of Oscar Blandi Dry Texture & Volume Spray on my hair. Usually the Blandi
spray is the arch nemesis of soft touchable hair. My hair was still touchable and silky. I can't understand why, but seemingly no matter how much hairspray or other products I apply, my hair still feels nice with this stuff. So I will not dispute the smoothing and polishing claims. Normally it is apparent that I have quite a few split ends, and the ends of my hair are dry. This product apparently glues my ends together, because I can't find any split ends after using it. I'm actually a bit OCD about picking through my stands and trimming off split ends, so I've spent a good deal of time looking for them and haven't found any. I'm guessing this is just a cosmetic effect because you can't truly repair split ends, but it's still great. So I don't know that that counts as "strengthening" my hair, but it's a good enough result for me. It also makes my ends feel much more moisturized. It actually kind of feels like I've just had my hair cut. Ends normally feel like straw. It's really amazing. I never thought I would find a product that would make my hair look and feel so healthy :) So much for the "conditioning" part of the claims. This product doesn't volumize persay, but it is very light, so much lighter than Grooming Creme(or other silicone creams) that it doesn't weigh my hair down. In fact it does give my hair more body and makes my curls springy and bouncy. I never realized how much Grooming Creme was weighing down my hair until I used this. I don't find that I need very much product to do the job, but I could add much more than I needed and not have my hair fall flat or my curls fall out. I find that this adds some shine to my hair, but if I am blow drying, I still need to add a little serum or shine spray afterwards, just like I would with any other smoothing cream. I have ended up loving this product, so perhaps I judged Living Proof too harshly. I will probably try something else from them next. I would say for the most part their claims for this product are justified. One more thing I didn't mention is that this product really seems to make it quicker and easier to blow dry my hair, and it doesn't leave that slick silicone feeling on my hands that makes it hard to hold my hair brush and dryer. I will very likely repurchase; I've gotten hooked on having soft touchable healthy looking hair all the time. I'm always trying new products though, so I never know when something even better will come into my life. Chances are this is a keeper though. Sorry this review ran on a bit long :S

* I chose Grooming Creme to compare to PHD as they are more similar in their intended functions than a leave-in cream would be. I also chose it because Grooming Creme is a product that I like, but is also a fairly typical example of this type of product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by dv_27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

OMG this product blows my mind, this is product is amazing. This past winter made my hair dry, frizzy prone to breakage. My hair has thinned a lot due to all the shedding. So I went back to old favs hoping for a major hair transformation. Now my current routine which seems to be working is Living Proof No Frizz shampoo + Terax Conditioner and PHD styling treatment and no serum needed. I don't need to use anything else...my hair absorbs this like a sponge, the consistency of this cream is really unique. Doesn't leave a film on the hair or hands. Gives tons of volume, shine and leaves me with soft and moisturized hair. Glad I bought this before repurchasing the Nectar Thermique. Very impressed with this product, will def repurchase. Will update after 2 months.
Update 4/20/14
Experimented with rose water today...When my hair was 60% dry, used this product generously on my hair and spritzed with rose water and then blow dried my hair...omg even better results this time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by morganevan29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's expensive, yes but, HOLY CRAP MY HAIR FEELS SO AMAZING. I have absurdly thick hair that is also fine and generally a colossal pain to contend with. One use and my hair felt amazing. It's so manageable. And I like the way it smells! I use the shampoo, conditioner, AND the 5-in-1 product. I get 2 good hair days out of it. My hair gets greasy very easily and this definitely helps. I've been told with more time I'll get even more days out of it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

This is the 3rd Living Proof product I've tried. My actual rating is 3.5 because it's not the products fault that I am only looking for volume which it gives some, but not enough for my personal preferences. It does leave my hair soft, a bit of shine, no product buildup.

I have already tried (and reviewed) the Full Thickening Mousse and Cream. I figured this advertised volume in its list of attributes, so why not? Strictly speaking for volume and on my hair, the mousse works best, followed by the cream w/ this a close 3rd. I love the contanier (small that it is) and I find it best to store upside down so there is no waiting for the product to work its way down + never too much is dispensed. This does leave my hair soft and w/ a bit of shine, but so does the mousse. It give me enough volume for what other folks might be happy with, but I like LOTS and LOTS of volume = I'll finish this up and then go back to the fantastic mousse.

This (like the other LP products) is pricey for the amount you get.

04/09/14 UPDATE - this is now my HG! I've found the proper amount to use and now I get the all day, LOTS and LOTS of volume I was getting w/the mousse w/out having to deal w/ that crappy mousse dispenser. :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by beautyjunkie93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hands down my HG hair product line. I am so amazed by the results. My hair is naturally curly but I frequently straighten it. I haven't gotten my hair cut in a month but after using the PHD shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in for a few days my hair feels freshly cut. The best part is the shampoo is sulfate free and the entire line is silicone free. Love it! The only two other products I use are AG Set It Straight and the original Moroccanoil treatment. Even though the PHD products are slightly expensive (shampoo & conditioner are $24 each for 8 oz) it's completely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 7:40:00 AM More reviews by Carolinaglam

I'm not going to lie, I'm a product junkie. I am always looking for the next best thing. I always switch from high end shampoos & conditioners to drug store brands and I have to alternate the shampoo and conditioner I use on a daily basis. My hair is thick and is someway dry. When I first used the shampoo when I was lathering it up my hair felt like straw. It was terrible. I figured I was going to hate this stuff. When I used the conditioner it was amazing! I have never had a shampoo and conditioner that doesn't dry my hair out or weigh it down but makes it shine & give it volume like I just walked out of the salon. I must say I am in love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like Perfect Hair Day as I feel it makes a definite difference when I use it .... my normal routine is I use Living Proof's Style Extender, followed by Perfect Hair Day and my favorite Frederic Fekkai Elixir and let my hair air dry and I have nice hair that lasts until I was it next ...... Perfect Hair Day and Style Extender also work great if I use a curling wand, as I find that my curls and style holds until I wash the next day ..... (I am not a fan of Living Proof's Shampoo and Conditioner line, however, their styling products are wonderful.) I find that Perfect Hair Day works great as a styling products and does help with toning down frizziness and helps with locking in my style. Another plus is that I find that this product makes my hair so soft. This is a great product when I want my waves to appear looser (I have another favorite from another line when I want wavier or curlier hair.)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by JulieTaboulli

I have fine, straight hair that lacks volume, is color-treated, and can get oily on the scalp and is dry on the ends. I attended an event at Ulta where they style your hair with the product and was concerned when I could "feel" some product in my hair. I was terrified it would look weighed down or greasy so I was very surprised, then, when it did neither of these things.

I took a sample home, and after a few weeks of use, I've noticed my hair DEFINITELY has much more volume, but not to the point of poofiness (which is a problem with Aveda Pure Abundance) - the smoothing quality really makes my hair look clean, sleek and styled, even with a large amount of volume. It is more polished looking, with less static and dryness. I use it directly on my roots, too, with no clumpiness/grease - also a problem with Pure Abundance.

Also, I am ecstatic that it is dimethicone free -- my hair is super shiny and doesn't feel a bit sticky, clumpy, or greasy -- which means I also haven't been pulling much hair out when I brush it or play with it throughout the day. The UV and heat filters are a major bonus too.

But the main reason I'm buying this isn't marketed on the bottle -- my hair is so fine that it kinks so easily when slept on, windblown, etc. My hair holds styles so well with PHD (again, without stickiness, stiffness, etc) that I am able to rock day 2 and sometimes day 3 hair without extra styling -- which was NEVER possible before. And, it is easily restyled with blowdrying. I am shocked that my hair doesn't accumulate grease either.

Bottom line: Go buy this. Lives up to every promised bullet point on the bottle, and then some. Anything that requires less styling while looking nicer is aces in my book. New HG product!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

Fortunately I got a very large sample from Sephora and did not have to waste my own money on this product. I absolutely hate it. My hair feels heavy, greasy and just gross when I use it.

I've tried it when my hair was wet and let it air-dry and also prior to blow drying my hair out. Both times the result was the same - heavy, weighed-down hair that looked oily. I'm using a pea-sized amount and my hair a little longer than shoulder length. I have very normal/healthy hair and I think this is too heavy for my hair type.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love the idea of products that can do multiple things so that you can reduce the amount of clutter in your cabinets. Before this I had Pantene BB cream. That was fine but I like this better because it can also be used on roots. After showering (using shampoo & conditioner), I only use this before blowdrying. I tried using mousse/root booster too but that seemed to make my hair greasier faster & I think this works fine on it's own. Not skyscraping height but a nice amount. It gives body to the hair as well.
I'm very happy with the product. Downside is that the packaging kind of sucks. Hard to squeeze & I think there will be a problem in getting all of the product out of the tube. And at $26, I'm not going to throw it away if I can get a few more uses out of it. Might have to break open the tool box. :-)
I wrote that I wouldn't repurchase just because I have a feeling that similar products will be coming out soon that might be better & cheaper. But if those don't materialize, I would buy this again