April 18, 2014 | 1299 users online

Polishes - Sephora - Formula X Nail Color

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

These polishes are terrible. Way too thick to work with. The colors are pretty but they chip so fast and look awful on the nails.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Tamathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have several of these, and the colors are gorgeous. Unfortunately that's all I can say for them. Many need up to 3 coats to look right, and all of them begin to chip and peel on the first day. Going through Sephora's nail cleaning, base coat, 2 to 3 coats of color, then top coat, you don't even get 24 hours of wear. I don't have time for this. When you go in and see all the pretty polishes on display, just remember you'll only get a few hours wear out of it before you start to look like you don't take care of yourself. BOO SEPHORA, BOO for releasing such a horrible product to the market like this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by buffydoggy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought the Sephora 22 set of minis to try out this new polish. I have polish on my nails pretty much all the time because if I don't I tend to chew my nails out of boredom! I am giving these polishes a 2 lippie for the variety of colours. The colours are beatiful and there is a huge range. I love the look of the top coats also. BUT, and it's a huge but, I cannot get this polish to last more than a day on me without chipping. It's not even chipping, it peels off my nails like that cheap Tinkerbell nail polish I had as a kid.

I did not buy their own top and base but I have tried combinations of Essie bases/top, Revlon base, Sally Hansen rapid top and Seche base/vite top as well as just plain on the nails. Nothing works. As a result, I'm changing my polish every couple of days and it's drying out my nails. I spoke to a friend about this and she has the same problem.

Quite a few of the polishes in the set I got streak something terrible and need three coats.The polish does dry quickly which is a plus but ugh, I so wanted to love these new polishes! I probably won't be buying them again just because of the crap formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by alina08

Despite the price hike of the product, I still like the performance it gives. I bought the color Taupe Pearl which looks brownish online but is more like a greige in real life. The color lasts a long time and looks very nice. There was a subtle shimmer that was very elegant, too. I am interested in purchasing more colors from this collection once the price comes down a bit.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2013 8:14:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

These are a big improvement from the Sephora by OPI collection IMO. Much more opaque, lasting power and the brush is thick and wide. I have the colors Infatuated and Radioactive. I've been wearing these 2 colors on my nails for the past 6 days and there is minimal chipping.
Infatuated - a really nice pale cloud blue. Opaque in 2 coats. Dries pretty quickly. Cream finish.
Radioactive - a Christmas-green color. Opaque in 2-3 thin coats. Dries super quickly to a matte finish.

Of the 2 colors I own, I have found that Radioactive chips more. Probably because it is a matte finish?

The only downside to these new nailpolish is the price. It's around $15, which is more expensive than OPI colors. I do have to say that there are a lot more options to play around with.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As someone who does a lot of nail art that requires smooth consistency I could not dislike this polish more.

On the plus side it is heavily pigmented. On the down side -- and it is a HUGE downside -- it is "one coat" by virtue of being so thick and gloomy it is almost impossible to work with.

So far I've worked with 3 different colors and the experience is consistent. Even on their own, the gloss colors are almost impossible to apply smoothly. The shimmer colors have a coarse chalky grit that dries to a sand paper texture without a top coat. The grit is so heavy it starts wearing off in about a day. I had to fix it with a gel coat and ultraviolet light to get it to stay on.

Chanel remains the HG in terms of texture, pigment and ease of application. But there are many cheaper brands (like Covergirl Glosstinis, which I love) that perform much better than Formula X for a fraction of the price.

I give it 2 lippies because there are worse polishes, but none that I know of at this price point. At $12 it is no bargain polish.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 5:42:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like many nail fanatics, I waited on pins and needles for most of the summer and early fall waiting for Sephora to release its new house brand lacquer. My excitement was mainly for its many indie-style glitter topcoats, but when I went to pick up a few of the glitters I decided I needed to pick up a regular polish too just to test drive the wear. I chose Reckless (which Sephora describes as a light denim blue) almost as an afterthought. While I liked the color and thought it would pair well with the glitters I bought, I wasn't expecting to be wowed by it. Yet wowed by it I was, because holy hell the formula on this polish is amazing! It applies like a dream, flowing smoothly onto the nail and is crazy pigmented. I applied two coats out of habit but one coat would have been sufficient. There was no patchiness or VNL to be seen after that first coat.

And the wear was incredible! I wore this manicure for 14 days, something I never do, and my nails still looked pretty damn good after two weeks (see pics at the end of the post). I got some mild tip wear after a few days and gaps appeared at the bases on my nail from growth, but ZERO chipping. I'm sure my base and top coats (Revlon's ColorStay BC and Seche Vite) deserve some of the credit, but I've never gotten beyond a week of wear with those two before. I probably could have gone longer than two weeks too if I hadn't just been bored to death and ready to change my manicure up by that time. I only wore it for as long as I did because I was curious how long I could go before my nails started to look beat up.

Now these polishes are a bit on the expensive side ($10.50), so I can't imagine that Formula X will become my go-to brand for all of my polish, but Reckless was worth every penny I paid for it. And it's definitely a brand I'll look to in the future for polish colors like whites where I normally have a tough time finding a polish in that shade that performs well.

This line is a home run for Sephora. Between its great formula, awesome color range that has something for everyone and abundant glitter top coats, it's one of the best nail launches I've ever seen. Maybe even THE best.

Now on to my mani pictures. The first is of Reckless on its own right after I painted my nails, the second is of Thunder over Reckless 1 week later and the third is of my mani on Day 14. The first picture is the most color-accurate shot of Reckless.

continued >>