August 27, 2014 | 1753 users online

Styling Products - Oribe - Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Jeannine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know what moved me to try this. I usually have horrible luck with volume products. I have fine limp stringy hair that causes me grief, no matter what I use I'm usually left with crunchy, stiff or dirty looking hair that either weighs my hair down or only holds it's volume for an hour or until I step out into a slight breeze or lay my head against a headrest, etc. You get the idea. A ten minute nap and my hair is usually not worthy of going out.

If you look at my reviews you'll see that this is the first product that has inspired me to write a review in TEN YEARS. This is HG, life changing for my hair. I don't know how this product is so different than everything else I've used but it is. My hair is full, bouncy, shiny, feels like I have 50% more of it and it holds the volume ALL DAY long, even in wind, even through a nap. I can comb through it and it's freshened up and just as nice as when I just did it. I have never, ever been able to do that. I've never used a product of any kind that has made me so happy.

Using it for the first time I was quite squeamish, using only a small bit of it. I was afraid of the stiff, dirty hair these types of products usually cause. Next day I was afraid of increasing the amt used as sometimes less is more but went ahead anyway. More was definitely more. Anyway, I can use a big mass of this and have never ended up with dirty looking or bad results. Unlike the previous review, I don't start at the ends, I start at the top and work down, leaving hardly any at the ends of my hair. This is wonderful stuff. If you have fine, limp or thin hair stop reading this review and get yourself some of this. I got mine at Blue Mercury in Corte Madera. It was $35 and while that seems expensive for mouse, I'd still buy it if it were 3x the price. I've been using this for three weeks now and it hasn't dried my hair out or left a buildup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After trying so many different mousses I realized that I'm mousse-phobic because I either end up with crunchy hair that hurts to brush out, or an unattractive residue that takes away any natural shine and softness. So what happened the first time I used this? Firstly I ended up dispensing way too much and was left contemplating a huge cloud of mousse in my hand that could cover two heads of hair. Secondly, I decided to actually use all of it instead of making the wiser choice and wiping some off. Thirdly, it gave me the most amazingly soft, volumized hair without even having to use a brush while I gave myself a blow out. I was immediately and forever hooked.

My hair is fine (read: limp), bottom of my shoulder blade length, highlighted, and layered, and I have tons of it. It does well with certain products but since it's fine it can look stringy and greasy easily and be weighed down with barely any effort on my part. This makes my hair weightless, silky, and visibly thicker and very full while still allowing me to glide my fingers through it and toss my hair around. It has nice memory too and helps enhance my natural wave. No sticky texture at all. I can rub it all through my hair and feel no need to wash my hands afterwards. It just melts into my hair and it still looks shiny and touchable.

Since that first time I've been using about half that amount, about the size of a ping pong ball to a golf ball, depending on what else I'm using in my hair at the time. I rub it through my hands to spread it out a little and it feels so lovely and poufy, and doesn't dissolve into the styrofoam bubble texture of so many mousses. It's the softest, creamiest mousse I've ever tried. Then I try to distribute it all throughout my hair as evenly as possible starting with the ends and working my way up to my scalp so the majority doesn't end up at my roots. Then I comb through and blow dry. That's it. Sometimes I use my flatiron to add curls but usually I just pin it in a bun for an hour or two and when I let it down I have pretty waves that last through the next day. Once in awhile I finish it off with Oribe's Thick-Dry Finishing Spray.

I use a leave-in conditioner underneath and the occasional other styling product and it combines well with everything. Smells fresh and very faint, less fragranced than other Oribe products. It's expensive but I've never tried anything better on my hair and it makes a massive difference in both the look and the texture of my hair. I didn't like Oribe's Surf-Comber mousse and wasn't going to try this at all but I've had so much success with a few of their other products that I bought this anyway and I will keep doing so as long as they keep making it.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No