April 16, 2014 | 1587 users online

Styling Products - Oribe - Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After trying so many different mousses I realized that I'm mousse-phobic because I either end up with crunchy hair that hurts to brush out, or an unattractive residue that takes away any natural shine and softness. So what happened the first time I used this? Firstly I ended up dispensing way too much and was left contemplating a huge cloud of mousse in my hand that could cover two heads of hair. Secondly, I decided to actually use all of it instead of making the wiser choice and wiping some off. Thirdly, it gave me the most amazingly soft, volumized hair without even having to use a brush while I gave myself a blow out. I was immediately and forever hooked.

My hair is fine (read: limp), bottom of my shoulder blade length, highlighted, and layered, and I have tons of it. It does well with certain products but since it's fine it can look stringy and greasy easily and be weighed down with barely any effort on my part. This makes my hair weightless, silky, and visibly thicker and very full while still allowing me to glide my fingers through it and toss my hair around. It has nice memory too and helps enhance my natural wave. No sticky texture at all. I can rub it all through my hair and feel no need to wash my hands afterwards. It just melts into my hair and it still looks shiny and touchable.

Since that first time I've been using about half that amount, about the size of a ping pong ball to a golf ball, depending on what else I'm using in my hair at the time. I rub it through my hands to spread it out a little and it feels so lovely and poufy, and doesn't dissolve into the styrofoam bubble texture of so many mousses. It's the softest, creamiest mousse I've ever tried. Then I try to distribute it all throughout my hair as evenly as possible starting with the ends and working my way up to my scalp so the majority doesn't end up at my roots. Then I comb through and blow dry. That's it. Sometimes I use my flatiron to add curls but usually I just pin it in a bun for an hour or two and when I let it down I have pretty waves that last through the next day. Once in awhile I finish it off with Oribe's Thick-Dry Finishing Spray.

I use a leave-in conditioner underneath and the occasional other styling product and it combines well with everything. Smells fresh and very faint, less fragranced than other Oribe products. It's expensive but I've never tried anything better on my hair and it makes a massive difference in both the look and the texture of my hair. I didn't like Oribe's Surf-Comber mousse and wasn't going to try this at all but I've had so much success with a few of their other products that I bought this anyway and I will keep doing so as long as they keep making it.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No