August 29, 2014 | 1778 users online

Makeup Brushes - Wayne Goss - The Collection

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Shierine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for brush no. 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 (all except no.7 - it was sold out)
Favourite: 2 and 8
Least favourite: 1
First of all these are all amazing brushes. How amazing it is? I have been using these for the last month. They are incredible soft (softer than Mac brushes and similar quality with Tom Ford and Hakuhodo -> the brush producer), precise and multitaskers. I bought these from love-makeup to Australia for around 270AUD including the shipping cost, which make them around almost 40 each. The full set is cheaper but when I bought, it was sold out and I couldn't wait another month to order them. They came in a cardboard filled with foams to secure them. Each brushes were wrapped in flimsy plastic and laid inside the box, a very unsuitable packaging for brushes this expensive. The American packaging is much better than this. Note: This will not be your complete brush, there are not enough brushes to do a full face makeup unless you want to clean after each dip.

No.1 is a stippling foundation brush
This is my least favourite of all the brushes, simply because i don't really like stippling my foundation. This brush is also white bristled unlike the rest of the brushes and I found that after a few uses, it isn't white anymore, even if I wash it after each use. It is extremely soft and not scratchy at all. It is smaller than most, if not all, stippling brushes, but certainly is not small, which I find is really good because it is offers a more precise application. Because it is angled, it can easily reach and blend the area around my nose.

No.2 is a blush brush/contour
This is the smallest blush brush which I have ever seen and I love it for that. It is tapered and long bristled. You can use it precisely with just the tip of the side of the brush, it never takes too much product and it blends so good. I use to hate blush brushes because they are just big and they keep putting products all over my cheeks. I like to change where I place my brush based on the rest of my makeup, more rounded, more centered, on the side of my cheek above the contour, etc. This brush makes my dream comes true. It is also incredibly soft and when I wash and feel it in my hand, it's just...an amazing experience (I almost put or---mic here). For contouring the perimeter of the face just slightly put pressure on it, it splays beautifully.

No.3 is a large crease brush/eyeshadow brush/highlight
This is too large for my crease but it is amazing for putting a wash of colour all over my eyelid. I also love using it to apply my highlighter (be sure to wipe off the previous eyeshadow before using it to highlight). It is so soft and with the slightest pressure it splays, allowing a larger area coverage and just a wash of colour.

No. 4 is a medium crease brush/eyeshadow brush
This is my go-to eyeshadow brush. It is tapered at the end allowing a precise application at the corner of my eyes or under my eyes. It never picks up too much product and softly blend the shadows to a precise shape.

No. 5 is small crease brush/eyeshadow/detailed highlighter
This is a very very small eyeshadow brush. It perfectly fits the inner corner of my eyes. Unlike no. 3 & 4, this brush is less tapered but has a rounded shape to it. It picks up more product and gives more concentrated colour in the inner corner or under the eyebrow. It is also great for putting on a precise shaped and concentrated eyeshadow colour. For blending, this brush probably lacks compared to the above but that's where brush no.6 comes.

No. 6 is a blending brush. It has a very unique shape, that is a hybrid of flat down brush and a round brush. From upfront, it is flat down brush with rounded edges but from the side it is thicker than most flat down brushes and give an optical illusion of a round brush. The bristles are so soft and it is amazing for blending out harsh lines. Be careful not too blend too much or the colour might mix together.

No. 8 is a push liner brush
Behold! The tiniest push liner brush ever! It is so narrow and super short bristled (around 3mm length, 3 mm wide, and less than 1mm thickness!). The edge is C-shaped which fit the shape of the lid perfectly. I used to hate applying eyeliner, the precise liner is too flexible for me and bent all over the place, the angled liner does not give a precise wing, to colour the inner rim of my eyes were torture but this brush, oh my God (or, oh my Goss!) this brush is divine. It is small, short and it goes where I want it to go, even if it bent, it's still within range because it is so short. Since it is very thin, it gives me an amazing wing/flick. It is just do-all-brush for me! I love it! I love it so, so much! It is not scratchy and soooo comfortable, it goes right between my lashes, what more can I say? I just love it too much, I'm going crazy here.

Please everyone, please, please, please by these brushes. I too were so shocked from the price but after youtubers and beauty bloggers started reviewing them, I finally bought it out of my poor student pockets and I don't regret it at all. In fact! If Wayne put out more brushes, I'm going to buy them and the no.7 brush which I missed.

I will update this then, XOXO

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by Se7enR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have been wanting Wayne Goss brush set since he first announced it however, it was always sold out. Huge surprise that my hubby managed to get his hands on a set as my Christmas gift!

I have been using these brushes since Christmas day and I must say they are the softest brushes ever. I know there are many who are on the fence about brush no. 01 but I personally find it to be amazing! My foundation went on like skin without any streakiness and I swear it made my face look flawless.

While these brushes are slightly on the pricey side, they are totally worth it. Every one of these brushes are high quality and it's obvious how much thought and care went into designing these babies.

Absolutely brilliant!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 11:23:00 AM More reviews by kamberc94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Wayne Goss is my absolute FAVE YT guru. His iconic wink and down to earth, natural approach just makes me happy in every video!

I was so proud of him when he announced his brushes and the project. I did not order them right off because I was a little skeptical, as I am with EVERYTHING, on ordering a first batch. Kinks needed worked out, plus I knew they would be expensive and I didn't wanna fork up the money just yet!

Let me just say I ordered the $85 USD Holiday brush first. I figured it would be an intro to the real collection and cheaper, not really! Not even a week later I ordered the whole set!! SOOOO MUCH MONEY!! I don't really 'regret' the purchase, just need better self control haha!!

ALL these brushes are SUPER soft and multiuse products.

Brush no. 1 is not my favorite. It leaves streaks on me no matter the pressure I apply and I just don't like the staining because it only cleans about 97% for me so that slight tanness bothers me, however I do like this for getting a sheer highlight and blush look. I use this for my super pigmented blushes and it gives me this super natural flush, so if you are struggling with using it for Foundtion try it this way!

The brush no. 2 is small, but if you only powder tzone it is perfect, but I use mostly for contour and blending! Very smooth application and does not put too much product on face.

All the eye brushes are wonderful, soft, and don't irritate my sensitive eyelid!

No 7 and 8 are great at what they do. The push liner brush is great for tightlining with powders which is how I use it. and the lip or smudge brush is great for smudging under the eyes, I have not used it for lip producs, kinda terrified tbh.

Overall I HIGHLY recommend this set to everyone willing to spend the money! It is a great set if you wan tto add luxury to your collection.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by A88A

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Everyone has their favorite YouTube guru, and mine is Wayne Goss. I appreciate his succinct and easy to follow tutorials, many of which have changed the way I apply makeup. From the candid reviews to the iconic wink, Wayne Goss has a warm and highly entertaining internet persona. While I do love a striking editorial look here and there, I tend to agree with his philosophy that cosmetics are for subtly enhancing existing beauty. This brush collection, with its organic shapes and unfathomably soft, cruelty-free animal hair fibers, is best suited for achieving flawlessly blended, natural looks. All of the brushes were made in Japan, and there is much internet speculation that they were manufactured by either Chikuhodo or Hakuhodo. This will mean something to brush aficionados, but I must confess that these are my first Japanese brushes. I have no real basis for comparison, but the makeup board seems to be enamored with the quality of these two brush manufacturers. Shortly before the Goss collection was available for presale, I'd been toying with the idea of acquiring some Japanese brushes, but I had no idea what shapes to look for first. The choices (and prices) seemed overwhelming. After much thought, and what research was available to me, I put my money and my faith in Wayne Goss, and pulled the trigger for the presale. Now that these brushes are in my hot little hands (with clear nail polish lovingly applied over the logo and numbers), I'd like to share my thoughts.

The 01 is a small, round, angled, multi-level bristle brush designed for applying cream, liquid, and powder products, including foundation, highlighting and contour products, and cream blushes. I prefer liquid and powder products to creams, so I can't speak to the performance of this brush on cream products, but it works like a dream for liquid and powder foundation. It grabs the perfect amount of product, and distributes it in easily buildable, sheer layers. The longer, wispier hairs are perfect for buffing liquid and powder into a smooth, even canvas. Though it's the least soft of all the brushes in the collection, it is far softer than any foundation brush I've previously owned.

The 02 is a longer, ovoid brush, suitable for spot-applying setting powder, or applying powder blush, as well as highlighting and contour products. Varying your hand pressure with this brush will yield different results. Blush is best applied with a moderate amount of pressure, splaying the bristles out over the desired area for blush. Contour and highlighting are best achieved with a light, sweeping motion, preserving the elongated shape of the brush. It works beautifully to blend blush, contour, and highlight together, and it is softer than a kitten's paw. I could stroke this brush against my face all day long, and if I win the lottery, I'm going to pay someone to do this for me.

The 03 is a small, ovoid brush, most closely resembling a large, tapered crease brush. Though I wouldn't have thought to do so, it works wonderfully for applying shadow all over the lid and up to the brow bone. Those with an ample crease will find that it's amazing used there, too. As noted in Goss's videos for the individual brushes, it would also work for more precise highlighting and contouring, particularly on the nose, or highlighting the cupid's bow of the lips. It's as soft as silk.

The 04 and 05 are smaller versions of the 03, and can be used for everything the 03 is used for, with increasing precision. I particularly like using the 04 in my crease. Additionally, the smaller size of these make them perfectly suited to under eye concealing. The 05 is small enough for fairly precise smudging of powder eyeshadow products, or highlighting the tear duct. Both of these can be used to apply a controlled dose of loose pigment or glitter to the lids. They're just as silky as the 03.

The 06 is a flatter brush with rounded edges. Goss recommends using this for blending, or subtly winging out eyeshadow. It does work beautifully for both purposes, but I'm keeping it clean as a blending brush. Additionally, this brush is small enough to apply setting powder over under eye concealer, and boy, is it soft.

The 07 is essentially a medium-sized, push liner brush with rounded edges. Goss recommends using it as a lip brush. Its flat, short, rounded-edge shape make it far better for precisely applying lipstick than the ridiculous paintbrush style brushes that are usually used. For some reason, I never have trouble applying lipstick from the tube, so this will probably be my least-used brush. It can also be used to highlight or contour around the lips, but again, this isn't something I usually do. Other possible purposes: spot concealing and setting, precise application of eyeshadow, eyeliner smudging, applying color to brows. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it's really, really soft.

The 08 is a teeny tiny push liner brush, perfect for "pushing" a dark powder into your lashline. This is my preferred method of lining my eyes. I don't hate eyeliner, I just usually prefer a softer look for myself. I'll just get this out of the way; it's soft. I'd previously been using a thin, synthetic angled brush for a push liner, and its stiffness would make my eyes water if I inadvertently pushed too hard. Not so with this! I've experimented with various pressures, and this couldn't irritate my eyes if it tried. This would work well for lining the upper or lower waterline, but this isn't something I personally do. Goss also recommends using this for drawing individual eyebrow hairs. I don't spend a huge amount of time on my brows, as I find a good pencil and spooly brush are adequate for my needs. However, if I ever decide to start going all-out with my brows, I'll put this little guy to a dual purpose.

Care and cleaning: Goss recommends cleansing with either a brush cleanser or baby shampoo and warm water, when needed. He also recommends Brush Guards.

38 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No