It Cosmetics Tightline Full Lash Length Black Mascara Primer

3.8

on 3/1/2015 11:15:00 PM

I really like this lash primer, it actually manages to separate my eyelashes and not clump, I have both the regular and the waterproof, sometimes I use this under and sometime by itself. it makes my lashes look pretty dark. I really like the tiny wand and I think that's what helps my forever crumbly lashed look separated from each other. it is pretty expensive for such a small amount of produce

on 2/3/2015 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I recently just discovered tightlining … a little late but whatever. The premise of this product is wonderful but it doesn’t deliver. I bought this strictly for the purpose of tightlining – not mascara or primer. I consider myself a fairly savvy makeup person and no matter how much I tried this just doesn’t do what it claims.

Cons:
-Expensive at $24
-Made my eyelashes stiff at the base
-Deposited little to no color
-Doesn’t do anything more than regular mascara does if you push it down further on your lash roots

Pros:
-Great little brush for combing

I will be returning this as it does nothing like it’s supposed to do.

on 1/27/2015 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Of course this isn't going to tightline your eyes in the traditional sense, BUT it definitely works to darken the root of your lashes and create a tightlined effect. I use an eyeliner pencil to tightline and really darken the upper lashline first and then use this to get to the base of my lashes to darken and seperate them. If I'm going for a natural look, I'll just use this as my only mascara all over the lashes. If you want a more dramatic look, you can use this as primer and follow up with another mascara for more thickness and drama. The small wand allows you to get closer to the root of your lashes than any other mascara wand and I especially love this for the bottom lashes because it coats them nicely without getting clumpy. I wasn't sure how much I would like this because it seemed like a gimmick but I'm really glad that I tried it and I'll definitely repurchase!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I use this as my mascara. I love the tiny wand as it allows me to get to every single lash. It makes my lashes look very long, although I do always use a curler before I apply it. It isn't clumping, which is a bonus. My only gripe is that for the price there isn't much product, and the tightline tip is scratchy and just plain useless.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm definitely a lash primer person, but have never tried a black lash primer. A black lash primer makes a lot of sense because it would help improve the color impact of black mascara, just as white primers tend to let colored mascaras look brighter. So when I saw this one in the store, I had to give it a try.

The first thing I noticed is that the brush diameter is tiny...think Maybelline's Lash Discovery but on a smaller scale. I was excited because I hate big brushes--I'm prone to creating a mess on my eyelids with them--and this one looked ideal to really coat my lashes with minimal mess. In reality...well, the tiny brush does does a lot to define without the mess, but doesn't particularly lengthen my lashes. And forget about volume: not here with this one. It didn't make any drastic changes to my lashes' appearance without or with mascara on top.

I didn't notice any difference in wear time compared to my other tried-and-true lash primers (L'ancome and UD). It's a bit stubborn to remove, not necessarily a bad thing because it means it's keeping my mascara where it should be.

As far as using it for tightlining...well, I tried. It didn't quite work out as easily as It Cosmetics makes it out to be. I think I'll stick with my black liner pencils.

Overall, I was somewhat disappointed by this product...not so much that I'd return it to Ulta, but I'm not very likely to repurchase it. However, I will definitely check out other black lash primers.

on 1/23/2015 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I picked up Tightline the other day when I realized I'd left the house without mascara. I already have unopened samples of high end mascaras and a brand new, unused Clump Crusher so was glad Ulta had a Try Me size on one of those racks leading to the registers. I expected the brush to be thin but didn't think that'd prevent me from doing a couple swift swipes while peering crookedly into the rear view mirror. It did - I actually poked myself in the eye once - but only because this is unlike any wand I've used.

I love minimalist brushes and ya can't get more minimal than this. It's thinner than the ones on Maybelline Lash Discovery or Clinique Bottom Lash because it's, essentially, the mascara stem with some bristles. And, I love it. I read some reviews after I got home and was going to just stick it in my bag for future forgetfulness but I'm glad I gave it a full chance.

I haven't paid any attention to the tightlining promise so I can't address that. Extra wet mascara or agressively pressing any mascara to the base of the lashes leaves product along that area anyway.

The brush (stem?) requires you start the application at the base of the lashes, thus ensuring a fuller outcome. I don't have to layer with this. I just put on a couple coats and have natural looking, thicker lashes. Because the brush is so, so thin and the bristles so, so short, this is a 'slow' mascara. By that I mean, you can't just flick, flick, flick quick coats through your lashes. You've got to put down your coffee and slowly pull the mascara through in even strokes for volume and length. The formula is on the dryer side, which I prefer. I've never had any clumping or any of the flaking I've read about, it doesn't burn my eyes and is easy to remove. It's going to be hard to force myself to try all those samples and Clump Crusher now.

I only use mascara for a month (sensitive eyes, prior surgery, etc.) so the mini is perfect for both price and quality. I will be picking up more when I get back to Ulta.

on 1/23/2015 2:15:00 PM

When I read the reviews I was surprised that it wasn't better recieved in my age group. I am 65 and I use a 15x mirror to do my eyes. I would never go out without tight lining. I hate the underside of the upper lid showing , it's such an aging sign. For me this was a real timesaver once I got the hang of it. I have very light, long thick lashes, this wand was so easy to use after about the 3rd time of going slowly !! getting as close to the lash base as possible I divided my upper eye into 3 , I worked on one area at a time coating that area at the lid line moving the wand back and forth before drawing the wand up and out. Repeat with each remaining section overlapping with the last section done til I reach the endpoint. Do both uppers. Then move to the bottom lashes. The tiny wand grips every single hair, as someone else said it is reminiscent of the old metal wands of the 60's, I loved. You can wear the primer as is or follow up with a favorite mascara. I leave it alone only using mascara for a more dramatic look. For myself I get everything it promised, Tightline, primer and mascara. As far as removing goes , I just use coconut oil leave it sit to soften, rub it and remove with cotton balls or pads. Then proceed to cleanse. Great product.

on 1/17/2015 5:01:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I find this primer to be fantastic and deliver what it promises-- it captures all the tiny lashes that the big brushes will miss or clump together. I use one coat of this and then follow immediately with my regular volume mascara--it really makes a difference. The brush is amazing to capture every last lash and get to the base of my lashes -- the end result gives a very polished look.
As most indicate, I only wish there was more product for the price; that being said, I will definitely keep purchasing.

on 1/14/2015 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Update: Been using this more and it works okay as a primer, not as a tightliner. I wish they would take that out of the tag line.There is no way to use this as a tightliner. The tiny wand is good for getting all of my lashes but it does flakes and in a couple of hours for me, so low marks. Also there is a lot of waste with the packaging as noted by some of the other savvy reviewers. But I continue to use it so I cannot decide if I truly hate it.

on 1/4/2015 9:14:00 AM

This is my HG mascara. I've tried all kinds and as long as this is made I will not stray. I have long lashes so I'm always worried about flaking, raccoon eyes, and getting mascara on my brow bone throughout the day. This provides length, volume, and stays where it's supposed to stay. Yes, I do put powder on my lashes as the first step and that helps too.

Top Rated It Cosmetics Products