October 1, 2014 | 999 users online

Palettes - Kat Von D - Spellbinding Eyeshadow Book

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 7:03:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

This is my first Kat Von D palette, and it's actually one of my go-to palettes now. I reach for it as much or even more than my LORAC Pro and Unzipped palettes! I looked at UD Vice 2 and Too Faced My Favorite Things, but both of them had quite a few neutral shades, and it wasn't worth spending money when I already have so many browns/taupes. The Spellbinding book has a matte black (Dark Throne) and a sparkly brown (Cry Later), but that's pretty much where the neutral ends.

Packaging: The packaging is really cute, with Kat's own illustrations, which is par for the course with her products. The shade names are fantastic! Bukowski? WTF? Stupid Autocorrect? Someone really thought those names through, and it's true to Kat Von D's image and product aesthetic.

The palette itself is slim and easy to store. I personally don't mind the plastic overlay with the names because it keeps the shadows from potentially flaking on each other or getting all over the place should you travel with the palette. I wish there was a magnetized closure, but alas I'll probably have to either pack this tightly or tie a rubber band around it. The binding around the spine feels kind of flimsy, too. Considering how long it takes to use up a palette (not that I EVER have), and how many times I've already opened and closed it, I'm pretty sure that binding will wear out long before then. I also wish the inside came with a mirror. Instead, she's got some suggested looks, which is fine. But the palette could still have shrunk the instructions and put a decent-sized mirror inside.

Color Selection: To me, Spellbinding has the perfect combination of wearable color. I love plums and purples, even for everyday, and two of my favorite colors in this palette are Stupid Autocorrect (shimmery mauvey purple) and WTF (pearlescent raspberry), and I find myself reaching for those over and over again. Holy Bible looks silver in the pan, but once you apply it to the lid it seems to have just a touch of ice blue. It's really a shade you have to see to appreciate. Something that made me wary was that so many of the pale/peachy shades looked similar, but I promise you they are very different. Countess is a matte cream color, Galore is a shimmery pale gold, Geek is a pale peach satin, etc. The are also greens and intense blues.

Pigmentation: I personally have no problem with the color payoff on these, and I even use them without a primer, which for me is saying something. Are they the most pigmented shadows in the world? No. Can you just tap your brush with the caress of a butterfly's wing and come away with enough color for your entire lid? No. But they certainly have enough color payoff that you're going to get the effect you want. What you see in the palette is what you get on the lid.

Staying Power: When I do use primer, it just helps the staying power, not that I can complain about how long they last even without a primer. My face eats makeup, and the fact that these shadows last five hours or longer without a primer on me is a miracle.

Texture: All the shadows are very smooth and finely milled. I haven't gotten any fallout. I've used Cry Later, the glittery brown a LOT and haven't gotten any glitter fallout.

One more thing: the shadows are arranged in pairs so you can layer or blend those two colors together. This actually works, and very well, I might add. Not that you can't play around however you want. But it's nice that this isn't just gimmickry.

So all in all, a beautiful, fun, exciting, and quality palette. Kudos, Kat!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

Picked this up during my last trip to Sephora, saw it on-line and couldn't wait to purchase in store (I have the worst luck with buying eyeshadows on-line, they always get damaged in shipping). I love KVD eyeshadows and own all previous Christmas blockbuster palettes and all but 1 of her regular palettes. Her eyeshadows are so smooth, apply well and blend like a dream...and I have never experienced fall-out from her shadows, NEVER. These are no different; smooth application, blend like butter and no fall-out. The color pay-off is a little disappointing compared to her other shadows but I don't mind since I apply lightly and build up to achieve the look I desire. You get 24 shades, all of which are the same size as found in her regular palettes so that makes this a great deal.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

After trying the Shade Shifter eyeshadows, I was very eager to give her other shadows a try. The value of this palette is amazing: 24 colors for $55. The presentation is awesome. I thought the plastic cover would be an annoyance, but it's kind of handy in that it protects the shadows.

It's a nice blend of textures: matte, shimmer, sparkle, and satin are all represented. 12 are new colors; the other 12 have been issued before. The color selection tends to lean more towards warm shades and tones. I tend to like cooler tones so these aren't shades I'd buy individually.. There's also two duo-chrome shades (Queen and Arcadia; Hexagram may be a third, I'm not sure). Oddfellow is IMO it's own category: it looks like it'd have shimmery teal tones, but comes on black with very little sparkle. The colors are arranged in pairs for easy look-making, but you don't have to stick with the pairs.

Where the palette loses a lippy is in the application and payout of about half of the shades. I can't believe these shadows are related to the Shade Shifters! Payout on half of these shadows was very poor and required a lot of layering to build up color. I had to put primer on underneath and press the shadows on to really get those colors to show without using large quantities of shadow. What's odd is that it's not just the light shades that are suffering from this: darker shades were prone to this too. The palette does indicate that the shadows are meant for layering, so perhaps that's it. But still, it was a letdown.

On the brighter side, there was little to no fallout when I applied the shadow. Also, they were long-lasting with or without primer underneath.

Overall, this is a really good palette. If you want variety (albeit warmer-toned), you got it. If you're not familiar with KVD, this is a good introduction to her shadows. Just be prepared to use some primer if you really want vibrant looks.