December 20, 2014 | 1602 users online

Palettes - Laura Mercier - Artist's Palette (holiday 2013)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2014 7:48:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

This is my first Laura Mercier purchase and I am very, very happy with it. Not only are the colors great, but so is the texture of the eyeshadows, too - very easy to blend. The variety of the colors means I can use them in so many different combinations to create many different looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Goliath1357

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite palette of 2013 and one of my favorites of all time. The palette is very beautiful and versatile. It is a mix of creams, purples, pinks and browns. You can create a multitude of looks from soft, neutral, smoky or colorful. The shadows are creamy, highly pigmented and long lasting. This was my first purchase from Laura Mercier and I will definitely get more products from the brand in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 5:14:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This palette is pure perfection. I adore purple - both shimmer and matte, so it was a given that I was going to get the Artist palette.

The quality is phenomenal. The shadows are buttery smooth and pigmented. Easy to work with and the palette itself is sleek and compact.

African Violet has really won my heart over - I've already made a huge dent in that particular colour. I love pairing it with any kind of gold shade for a festive look.

I'm also really impressed with the matte shades (Kir Royale being my fave) as they're not powdery at all. They're just as easy to work with as the shimmery shades and I find them to be even more pigmented.

Guava is the only shade I feel is a little meh. Vanilla Nuts is great, and I like Sparkling Dew for something more shimmery. Guava feels a little too glittery and out of place in the palette.

Other than that, the shades are easily paired together for beautiful looks and I feel like you can accomplish all kinds of looks with the palette. Definitely worth the price.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Empyrean_Luminary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't know if I can say anything more than what's already been said about this incredible palette. It's practically perfect in every way...from the buttery, smooth textures to the amazing variety of finishes to the sleek and stylish packaging. It's just worth it. The only thing I would change is adding a dual-ended brush or at least a tray for a brush so it would be completely self-contained in its portability. However, as it stands, it's pretty much one of my favorite makeup purchases of all time.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by dustgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like the review below I was also missing an eye shadow color, Vanilla Nuts in my case. I had instead two of Primrose. This Fall I have been palette obsessed and my first look at this year's Artist palette I was going to pass as the tester was dry and the pigmentation seemed to be lacking. I looked again at another store later on when they were sold out online and this time the tester swatched beautifully. That leads me to believe combined with my issue of missing an eye shadow and the poor pigmentation of that one tester that quality control is greatly lacking at Laura Mercier. I emailed Sephora and didn't get a great response to be honest, but they offered to add 100 points to my VIB Rouge account. I also tweeted Laura Mercier a photo to show the palette with two Primrose eye shadows, but no response. I was lucky to track down the last palette in store at a Sephora location 1+ hours from my house. That I was willing to drive over two hours to get the palette with all the right colors in it I think speaks to how much I like the colors and texture of the palette when it is made as it should be. If you are lucky enough to still find one, make sure you check all the colors are there before you buy!

This palette leans cool, but has a few warmer colors, and all the shadows included (when they are included that is!) are equally good, no underperformers here. Very soft and pigmented. I have to be careful not to over blend, otherwise the shadows can look muddy/like one shade, when you are intending to do a look with a few shades. Really cannot recommend this palette enough for my fellow green eyed ladies who like soft smokey eyes. The purples in this palette cannot be beat for showing off green eyes. Lasting power is excellent, even without a primer I experienced no fading until I removed at the end of the day.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by albs

I was so excited to see a holiday palette with several purple shades, as I have been on the lookout for a purple-themed palette. Before I became makeup obsessed and switched to wearing neutrals exclusively I had this little drugstore palette made for green eyes that had three or four purple shades in it and I wore it all the time because it looked so nice with my green/blue eyes. So I decided to add a little purple back in my life and chose this palette. Bizarrely, mine was missing Fresco and in its place was a shimmery pink- what I think was a second Primrose (though it was labeled Fresco). I was disappointed because I think Fresco is an absolute staple in this palette and it really put me off using it. It was sold out on Sephora online where I had purchased it so I didn't bother emailing them. I happened to find it by chance at my local Sephora and thankfully was able to exchange. I definitely think there are some quality control issues with this palette which I think speaks poorly about the brand. The eyeshadows themselves are beautiful, pigmented, soft, and buttery- all the qualities of good eyeshadows. I do experience fallout with some of the shimmery shades, and some of them are a little powdery but nothing serious. I would recommend using a white base underneath such as Nyx Milk to really show off the beauty of them, especially African Violet. My favourite shadows in the palette are Plum Smoke, African Violet, Truffle, and Fresco (the real Fresco, not the random duplicate in my first palette). If you're looking for purples this is a beauty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by snow7kids

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is as nice as I was hoping it would be. I have bought and returned Naked and the Naked Basic.
The only eye palette I've ever truly liked and bought over and over is Benefit's Big Beautiful eyes.
I have blonde hair, green eyes and look best in pinks, purples etc...browns, taupes, blues, greens don't look good on me.
I can tell I'm going to run out of African Violet first...it seems to be a softer texture than all the others and I use it a lot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2013 3:34:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

Meh. I have the first LM Artist's Palette and I LOVE that palette to death. Seriously, it's so beautiful. I have to say that I was really excited about trying this one, but now that I have, I am fairly unimpressed. The colors are mostly pretty solid, very buttery and pigmented and rich. Some standout colors are African Violet, Violet Ink, Bamboo, and Truffle.

Now, there are some repeat colors from the old artist's palette that are in this palette(African Violet, Guava, and Vanilla Nuts. Not a big fan of any of those colors and I feel a little cheated personally that there are some repeat colors but it's not a big deal.

The biggest issue I have with this palette is that some of the colors have a weird consistency and staying power. For example, sparkling dew is an interesting one. It's not pigmented and no matter how many times you layer over the color, it doesn't look like you put any on. Also, for some strange reason, the eyeshadow creases throughout the day and starts to develop these sharp edges for some reason and I know it's not because of my eyeshadow primer, as no other eyeshadow(Or any of the other LM eyeshadows) have ever done this to me. Vanilla nuts is not pigmented nor does it have the staying power it should. Also, Primrose and Guava look almost identical on the lids.

The packaging's nicer than the first one, it's a little less bulky and has a "raindrop" textured cover compared to the snakeskin pattern from before. Other than those few minor hiccups, the palette is solid overall. I would recommend the older Artist's Palette to this one but this is a good alternative for the people who don't have the old one. It's alright, but not great.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a nice palette, but I don't think it's a necessity. I don't have many plummy shades in my eyeshadow collection so I figured this would be a nice addition because, while it is purple-y, it is also quite neutral.
Most of the shades are extremely pigmented. All of the dark colors have very, very nice color pay-off, but the four lighter shades- I'm not nuts about them. Sparkling Dew, Vanilla Nuts, Guava, and Primrose. They're pretty! But they're not as pigmented as I'd like them to be, unfortunately. I was very happy that they had a matte highlight shade (Vanilla Nuts), but I was disappointed when using it because it's nowhere near as pigmented as many of my other comparable (in color) shadows, even from the drugstore!
I'm really impressed with the rest of the shades though! Today I wore Bamboo all over the lid, Kir Royal in the crease, Violet Ink in the outer corner, and Fresco as a transition color and it looked divine. (I put a bit of Sparkling Dew on the inner corner and Vanilla Nuts on the brow bone, as well, but once again, these aren't impressive and I'd dig through my eyeshadow collection for a better version next time)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the palette! The shades are very buttery and have a range of textures and finishes. Please be patient with me as I go thru them all

Sparkling Dew: a sheer, lightly sparkling pale beige with both sheen and warm shimmer. Nice as a highlight. I like the way the skin's texture can show thru this.

Vanilla Nuts: a sheer matte cream, good for lightening under the brow bone (where I prefer mattes) or using as a base.

Guava: one of my favorites! A shimmery buildable soft peach-- looks great on its own as a wash. Very eye brightening.

Primrose: very close to Guava but less peach. I think they should have used a different shade here because Guava and Primrose are so similar.

African Violet: a unique shade of soft light plum with pink gold sparkle. Very dynamic and beautiful.

Fresco: a marvelous soft warm reddish matte brown that makes a refined crease or lid color.

Plum Smoke: a smoky matte grey-purple that has an elegant impression.

Bamboo: a greyed brown with lots of golden sparkle. Very pretty.

Kir Royale: a richly pigmented soft purple with a satin finish and some light sparkle.

Truffle: a well pigmented chocolate brown with a matte finish.

Violet Ink: a matte black purple, good pigmentation

Espresso Bean: a matte bitter brown/black shade

What I love about these shadows is that they are so easy to blend. Even the darkest shades like Espresso Bean and Violet Ink can be blended out into the most delicate haze. I'm really enjoying all the looks I can create with this palette and loving the way the neutrals and the violets enhance each other. For reference I'm a NC 20/25.