Laura Mercier Artist's Palette (holiday 2013)

4.4

on 5/31/2015 9:05:00 PM

This is my HG palette. All the shadows are beautiful, and the texture is perfect. My eyes are a hard to define grey/blue/green color and this palette really makes them pop in a way I've never been able to achieve before!

Only "drawback" is that it doesn't include a brush, but a lot of palettes don't. Everyone has different preferences in brushes, anyway. Plus, it'd probably just make the price go up. I love the packaging and that it's just the right size for a makeup bag/travel. :)

Don't have to much to say that everyone else hasn't! Just love this palette, I need to get a backup!

on 5/30/2015 6:17:00 PM

I saw Temptalia's frantic post that this pallet was back at Sephora and had watched many YT personalities tout this as a HG for the last couple years; so obviously, I had to have it...

PROS:
- The packaging, I like that there is a large mirror and it is relatively compact. I really like that they updated the faux croc skin to a classy flower pattern. (I dislike the puffy top but its whatever)
- Eyeshadows:
AFRICAN VIOLET is my favourite of all of the shadows and when I use this pallet I always end up using this shadow. This shadow has a great formulation, as it is soft and applies true to pan.

CONS:
- I don't think this pallet is necessary unless you are a purple lover. Personally, I don't think the shades are that special because I feel you could find similar shades sold individually; but on the other hand, I don't think there are purple based pallets out there to rival this pallet.
- Eyeshadows:
I have swatched some of the eyeshadows with clean fingers and used brushes to apply the eyeshadows. The matte shadows have started to get a hard layer on the top (crusty shadows...). The matte shadows aren't as soft as I like shadows to be (UD, Lorac, WnW, etc. are all doing it better). I find the texture lends to these shadows not being as vibrant. I have had this pallet a month and I have already had to scrape VANILLA NUTS which sounds hilarious but is actually a little sad. I didn't pay a lot of money to have to scrape my VANILLA NUTS ;P

I wouldn't ever repurchase this but I wouldn't throw it away either. I wanted to love this pallet like I love UD Naked 1 or Kat Von D Esperanza but sadly I don't... I feel like this pallet maybe a little too mature for me.

on 4/22/2015 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I drooled over this palette in 2013 but I couldn't justify the price at that point in time. As soon as it went off the market & disappeared I instantly regretted not jumping on one when I had the chance. This eye shadow palette is "my one that got away". ;)

Flash forward to last month, Sephora re-released this gem. Knowing that it's limited edition, I quickly bought one with no hesitation. After all, no one wants to make the same mistake twice. I am SO GLAD I did.

There's a chance those writing negative reviews claiming this palette is low quality just got a bad batch. Every shade is buttery & packed with pigment. I have green eyes and this palette does them justice. Additionally, I am very pale. I have had to veto a lot of the popular eyeshadow palettes out there due to most of the shades passing as an eyeliner on my coloring.

To be completely honest I am tempted to order a back up. This palette is limited edition & the shades are unique enough that duping this would never be easy.

on 4/9/2014 7:48:00 AM

This is my first Laura Mercier purchase and I am very, very happy with it. Not only are the colors great, but so is the texture of the eyeshadows, too - very easy to blend. The variety of the colors means I can use them in so many different combinations to create many different looks.

on 1/27/2014 2:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My favorite palette of 2013 and one of my favorites of all time. The palette is very beautiful and versatile. It is a mix of creams, purples, pinks and browns. You can create a multitude of looks from soft, neutral, smoky or colorful. The shadows are creamy, highly pigmented and long lasting. This was my first purchase from Laura Mercier and I will definitely get more products from the brand in the future.

on 1/9/2014 5:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This palette is pure perfection. I adore purple - both shimmer and matte, so it was a given that I was going to get the Artist palette.

The quality is phenomenal. The shadows are buttery smooth and pigmented. Easy to work with and the palette itself is sleek and compact.

African Violet has really won my heart over - I've already made a huge dent in that particular colour. I love pairing it with any kind of gold shade for a festive look.

I'm also really impressed with the matte shades (Kir Royale being my fave) as they're not powdery at all. They're just as easy to work with as the shimmery shades and I find them to be even more pigmented.

Guava is the only shade I feel is a little meh. Vanilla Nuts is great, and I like Sparkling Dew for something more shimmery. Guava feels a little too glittery and out of place in the palette.

Other than that, the shades are easily paired together for beautiful looks and I feel like you can accomplish all kinds of looks with the palette. Definitely worth the price.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I don't know if I can say anything more than what's already been said about this incredible palette. It's practically perfect in every way...from the buttery, smooth textures to the amazing variety of finishes to the sleek and stylish packaging. It's just worth it. The only thing I would change is adding a dual-ended brush or at least a tray for a brush so it would be completely self-contained in its portability. However, as it stands, it's pretty much one of my favorite makeup purchases of all time.

on 12/14/2013 3:26:00 PM

Like the review below I was also missing an eye shadow color, Vanilla Nuts in my case. I had instead two of Primrose. This Fall I have been palette obsessed and my first look at this year's Artist palette I was going to pass as the tester was dry and the pigmentation seemed to be lacking. I looked again at another store later on when they were sold out online and this time the tester swatched beautifully. That leads me to believe combined with my issue of missing an eye shadow and the poor pigmentation of that one tester that quality control is greatly lacking at Laura Mercier. I emailed Sephora and didn't get a great response to be honest, but they offered to add 100 points to my VIB Rouge account. I also tweeted Laura Mercier a photo to show the palette with two Primrose eye shadows, but no response. I was lucky to track down the last palette in store at a Sephora location 1+ hours from my house. That I was willing to drive over two hours to get the palette with all the right colors in it I think speaks to how much I like the colors and texture of the palette when it is made as it should be. If you are lucky enough to still find one, make sure you check all the colors are there before you buy!

This palette leans cool, but has a few warmer colors, and all the shadows included (when they are included that is!) are equally good, no underperformers here. Very soft and pigmented. I have to be careful not to over blend, otherwise the shadows can look muddy/like one shade, when you are intending to do a look with a few shades. Really cannot recommend this palette enough for my fellow green eyed ladies who like soft smokey eyes. The purples in this palette cannot be beat for showing off green eyes. Lasting power is excellent, even without a primer I experienced no fading until I removed at the end of the day.

continued >>

on 12/8/2013 3:58:00 PM

I was so excited to see a holiday palette with several purple shades, as I have been on the lookout for a purple-themed palette. Before I became makeup obsessed and switched to wearing neutrals exclusively I had this little drugstore palette made for green eyes that had three or four purple shades in it and I wore it all the time because it looked so nice with my green/blue eyes. So I decided to add a little purple back in my life and chose this palette. Bizarrely, mine was missing Fresco and in its place was a shimmery pink- what I think was a second Primrose (though it was labeled Fresco). I was disappointed because I think Fresco is an absolute staple in this palette and it really put me off using it. It was sold out on Sephora online where I had purchased it so I didn't bother emailing them. I happened to find it by chance at my local Sephora and thankfully was able to exchange. I definitely think there are some quality control issues with this palette which I think speaks poorly about the brand. The eyeshadows themselves are beautiful, pigmented, soft, and buttery- all the qualities of good eyeshadows. I do experience fallout with some of the shimmery shades, and some of them are a little powdery but nothing serious. I would recommend using a white base underneath such as Nyx Milk to really show off the beauty of them, especially African Violet. My favourite shadows in the palette are Plum Smoke, African Violet, Truffle, and Fresco (the real Fresco, not the random duplicate in my first palette). If you're looking for purples this is a beauty.

on 11/27/2013 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is as nice as I was hoping it would be. I have bought and returned Naked and the Naked Basic.
The only eye palette I've ever truly liked and bought over and over is Benefit's Big Beautiful eyes.
I have blonde hair, green eyes and look best in pinks, purples etc...browns, taupes, blues, greens don't look good on me.
I can tell I'm going to run out of African Violet first...it seems to be a softer texture than all the others and I use it a lot.

Popular Palettes