April 16, 2014 | 2159 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pedi Sonic Foot System

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My boyfriend and I bought this on a whim while on vacation in Miami. Our feet were a mess from the beach and the walking and we were so happy to indulge in this as soon as it charged (which was 24 hours later, so no immediate gratification here!). Unfortunately two people can't share it on the same day due to it only being able to run for 18 minutes on a full charge, so we had to alternate: one day he gave me a pedicure and the next I gave him one. Our feet are in much better shape than they were before we got this. But I'd have preferred a more aggressive buffer attachment: when I file my feet with my usual Body Shop foot file there's always lots of dead skin dust to show for it. With this thing, none at all. It's more gentle so you can use it more frequently I guess. The brush doesn't actually rotate but rather goes back and forth, clockwise and anticlockwise by a few millimeters. I think using the full range of the four products it comes with (each of them perfectly replaceable with other ones of your preference) does give you the promised soft feet, but I don't think you need this brush to achieve the results if you really just want to pamper yourself.

However, the fact that we paid $200 plus tax means we want to get our money's worth, so we are actually putting the thing to daily use at this point and enjoying the softer feet as a result.

I know I don't give my feet this kind of attention without this gadget.

Bottom line: if you have the money, you won't regret getting it. Although I'm already wondering how to hack the buffer attachment to make it more abrasive.

UPDATE 2.5 MONTHS LATER: I'm taking the rating down to two stars. This is really much too gentle for any real calluses. I've had to resort to my trusty Body Shop foot file (the wooden one) and then finish off with the Pedi system when I want a proper pedicure. The Pedi gives more of a pampering experience, not a truly buffing one. If I can't figure out a way to hack a better buffing disk (I'm thinking of attaching a circle cut out of rougher sandpaper on top of the buffer), I'll return this to Sephora before my three months are up (return deadline is 90 days). Also, what's up with the battery only holding an 18 minute charge? This is much too expensive to have such a weak energy source. If they can't figure it out, they should put an adapter on it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was fortunate to snag this item at wholesale ($80) and was super-excited to try it. You will see reviews all over the internet, and they are accurate: the device doesn't hold a charge well, but the attachments work well. The products, rather than the hardware, seem to be a significant part of the system. The products are overpriced if you want to continue to use them. I enjoy my Claresonic Pedi and am glad I have it, but I don't think I'd love it if I'd paid $200.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by sfmcle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Honestly. I have the worst feet on Earth. I hate shoes and if it were practical would never wear them - like THAT's going to work in Seattle. Even as a child I had terrible calluses and big cracks in the soles of my feet; my mother even took me to the podiatrist to try to fix it, to no avail.

That being said, I would like my feet to look nice, of course! So I decided to give the Clarisonic Pedi a try; I have a Clarisonic Pro brush that I love, so it seemed a safe bet, plus I bought it from a retailer where I could return it if I wasn't happy with it - and I had a discount coupon so paid $149 for it.

Let me just start out by answering the $200 question that Clarisonic carefully avoids a direct answer to: do the disc and brush fit on a regular Clarisonic handle? The answer is yes, they do, and it will run. BUT - the motor strength of the Pedi handle is much more than the regular Clarisonic, making the Pedi brushes effective with the Pedi handle, where they are not nearly so with the regular Clarisonic. I have no way to measure, but by comparing I'd say it's twice as strong as the regular brush. I don't think you'd get very good results by using the Pedi brush/disc with a regular Clarisonic handle. The downside of the Pedi's strength is it does need charging much more often than the regular Clarisonic - I don't find this an issue though; I just connect it to the charger when I'm done when it shows it's getting low.

Packaging is a bit minimalist, but does the job - and who wants to pay extra for a fancy box that gets tossed? The brush comes with two heads: a smoothing disc and a heavy-duty wet/dry brush. Also in the package are the charger and three products which are basically an exfoliant, a lotion, and an AHA serum. One minor quibble I have with Clarisonic is that they used kind of cutesy names for the products that in my mind are easy to confuse when reading their directions: Pedi-Buff, Pedi-Boost, Pedi-Balm. Uh, what do I do...?

The exfoliant is meant to be used with the wet/dry brush, and does a nice job. It reminds me a lot in texture, actually, of the (in)famous St. Ives Apricot scrub. The downside is it gets clogged in the brush and it takes a bit to get it clean when you're done using it. The exfoliant and lotion are peppermint scented, fairly strong but not overpowering. The lotion is nice but I haven't noticed anything that would differentiate it from any good lotion. The AHA serum seems to work really well, and in combination with the other products and the brush/disc does a great job of smoothing my feet.

Their suggested regimen includes using the smoothing disc twice a week, followed by the brush, followed by the AHA serum, followed by the lotion; the rest of the time they suggest using the brush with the exfoliant, followed by the lotion. I haven't been quite as religious about following these exact instructions; I probably use the whole set twice to three times a week, and honestly I find myself avoiding the exfoliant due to the challenge of cleaning the brush afterward. That being said, I do think this makes a big difference in the smoothness and appearance of my feet.

To use this, I sit on the edge of the tub and follow the directions in the pamphlet that comes with the brush. I do this before showering in the morning. The process will take probably 15 minutes all told, so if you're the get-out-of-bed-at-the-last-possible-minute type, you may want to handle it differently - maybe before bedtime? One warning that may be obvious to you, but it sure wasn't to me the first time - your feet will be soft and slick so watch out when you stand up in the tub and try to move around that you don't slip and fall!

I read one review where the writer was complaining that her feet didn't end up as baby soft at the end of the treatment as when she goes to the nail salon. I'd agree with this statement - they aren't quite as soft, it's true. You don't spend half an hour soaking your feet in this process, either, or with gobs of cuticle oil and lotion rubbed in at the end. And, I don't know about you, but I can't afford to go get a pedicure every week - and that baby softness doesn't last more than a day anyway, at least for me. Over time I'd say this does 85-90% of what a pedicure will do, and I think it's at least potentially more economical.

Am I going to keep it? Yes. Would I replace all of the products? Probably not; I like the serum, but I'd bet the St Ives exfoliant would do the trick just as well, and I have lots of lotions around. I'm not put off by this though; I really dislike the Clarisonic cleansers with my face brush and use a different product with that as well.

I've had the unit for a few weeks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it for those that are interested. I'll edit if something else occurs to me. Hope this helps you in making a decision!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by katpower

I'm not sold on this product. I compare it to a kitchen gadget that you think you need but will actually just end up in the back of the cupboard. The price for the system is very high, and replacement products will certainly not be cheap. I find that the scrub is hard to clean out of the wet/dry brush and the overall effect is no better than using a pumice stone or similar product. In the end, by the time you go through the steps, client he brush head, charge it up etc. you are better of using a $1 pumice stone, just as effective and less time consuming. By the way, I got this for FREE and still think it's a waste of time and money.

Just wanted to mention that I am a huge fan of my Clarisonic, but find the Pedi Sonic time consuming and expensive for the results that it achieves.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by whocareswhoiam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overal rating is 4. I would rate this system a 5 but the battery needs to be charged three times a week, and the cost of the device is expensive; foot products are pricey. Having stated that upfront, this system rocks! Anti-aging for the feet that actually works! The device feels great to use. Anyone with a seat in their shower will love using the wet/dry brush daily. The booster serum is effective. The dry, cracking callouses feet (toes, balls, heels) are so much smoother after just a couple weeks of use. Do NOT use this over toes as it will totally destroy nail polish. This device is worth the investment if you plan to use it daily and can afford to keep up with the products. The system does work but anti-aging foot transformation comes at a high cost.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No