November 26, 2014 | 1743 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Pedi Sonic Foot System

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the Clarisonic and I love pampering myself with at-home pedicures, so I thought the Pedi Sonic would be a hit for me. Alas, it was a huge disappointment. I honestly get better results with a cheap foot file from Sally Beauty (the one that uses disposable papers) than with this contraption. My feet are a mess from running so I thought this would totally get rid of the nasty calluses I have, but it didn't even work as well as a manual file. The blade is the only thing that seemed to exfoliate (but not amazingly well), while the scrub attachment and scrub itself were useless, as was the Pedi Boost treatment. Also, I'm not sure if mine was defective or what, but I only got about 3 uses out of it before I had to recharge the battery. So this was definitely not worth the money, at least for me. If your feet aren't in really bad shape and it only cost, say, $50 rather than $200, the novelty of using an electronic pedicure tool might be worth it, but as it stands now it's a total waste. I'm trying Baby Foot next.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by thomasania

I have to start by saying that I agree that this is an expensive device. But since I don't go get regular pedicures I think the cost will balance out with someone who does.

I use the Mr Pumice stone religiously so my feet are not in horrible shape, I bought this basically because I love the idea of pampering myself at home.

I haven't tried the pedi disc because honestly I didn't think I needed to, but I will update when I do. What I did do...
I bought a cheap foot balm from Freeman that you allow to dry and then rub off, taking all the dead skin off with it. I let the mask dry and then used the pedi wet buffer and the exfoliating buffing cream. Between all three products my skin was remarkably softer, I just let the device scrub the Freeman mask off as it worked the exfoliator cream.
I then followed up with the serum and the balm and I am really pleased with the results. I don't think a spa would have rendered anything any better.
Overall, I have no regrets on this. If you have the extra cash and you like at home spa treatments I do think it is worth it. Out of the three products, I love the feel of the serum the best. I don't know of a substitute for that so I would most likely re purchase it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Kimbrili

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I first have to begin by saying that I am a fan of the Clarisonic facial cleaner, I have one, and it's wonderful, a reliable tool in my beauty regimen. I even use an ultrasonic toothbrush. I know that ultrasonic devices do work. However, I just can not see spending $149-200 on an ultrasonic foot buffer. I have been reading review after review on rechargeable and battery operated foot buffers, and they all seem to have the same reoccurring theme to them. They are either too expensive, or they wont hold a charge long enough,and you can't put too much pressure on them. As far as the manual foot files, you really have to be a contortionist to use them, and your arms get tired from all the back and forth motions needed for them to work. Our only other option is to go to the salon and pay someone at least $50 for a pedicure!... So I have done something completely non-traditional, but much to my surprise has been the best $60 I have spent in a long time. I went to my local Home Depot and purchased an orbital sander that has different speed settings. I now have a buffer that buffs my heels so nicely that they feel like a baby's bottom, it takes about 1 minute for the entire process, and I never have to worry about not having enough power to get the job done. I use a 120 -180 grit sanding round. I have been using it for about a year now and couldn't be happier, no more cracked heals, no more snagging my feet on my sheets, and when I'm getting ready to go out, it literally takes about 30 seconds to do each foot and they look like I just spent an hour at the spa having a pedi. I know this may sound a little cray cray, but I just could not see spending the money on something that only marginally gets the job done. I'm sure if someone invented a smaller version of the orbital sander and sold it as Sephora or Ulta it would sell like hotcakes!! Try it, you might like it, especially the fact that it doesn't cost $200 and it has plenty of power (but not too much)... I laugh at myself when I think I'm using power tools to look better!!! reminds me of a scene in Dumb and Dumber lol. Hey, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/2/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My boyfriend and I bought this on a whim while on vacation in Miami. Our feet were a mess from the beach and the walking and we were so happy to indulge in this as soon as it charged (which was 24 hours later, so no immediate gratification here!). Unfortunately two people can't share it on the same day due to it only being able to run for 18 minutes on a full charge, so we had to alternate: one day he gave me a pedicure and the next I gave him one. Our feet are in much better shape than they were before we got this. But I'd have preferred a more aggressive buffer attachment: when I file my feet with my usual Body Shop foot file there's always lots of dead skin dust to show for it. With this thing, none at all. It's more gentle so you can use it more frequently I guess. The brush doesn't actually rotate but rather goes back and forth, clockwise and anticlockwise by a few millimeters. I think using the full range of the four products it comes with (each of them perfectly replaceable with other ones of your preference) does give you the promised soft feet, but I don't think you need this brush to achieve the results if you really just want to pamper yourself.

However, the fact that we paid $200 plus tax means we want to get our money's worth, so we are actually putting the thing to daily use at this point and enjoying the softer feet as a result.

I know I don't give my feet this kind of attention without this gadget.

Bottom line: if you have the money, you won't regret getting it. Although I'm already wondering how to hack the buffer attachment to make it more abrasive.

UPDATE 2.5 MONTHS LATER: I'm taking the rating down to two stars. This is really much too gentle for any real calluses. I've had to resort to my trusty Body Shop foot file (the wooden one) and then finish off with the Pedi system when I want a proper pedicure. The Pedi gives more of a pampering experience, not a truly buffing one. If I can't figure out a way to hack a better buffing disk (I'm thinking of attaching a circle cut out of rougher sandpaper on top of the buffer), I'll return this to Sephora before my three months are up (return deadline is 90 days). Also, what's up with the battery only holding an 18 minute charge? This is much too expensive to have such a weak energy source. If they can't figure it out, they should put an adapter on it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was fortunate to snag this item at wholesale ($80) and was super-excited to try it. You will see reviews all over the internet, and they are accurate: the device doesn't hold a charge well, but the attachments work well. The products, rather than the hardware, seem to be a significant part of the system. The products are overpriced if you want to continue to use them. I enjoy my Claresonic Pedi and am glad I have it, but I don't think I'd love it if I'd paid $200.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by sfmcle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Honestly. I have the worst feet on Earth. I hate shoes and if it were practical would never wear them - like THAT's going to work in Seattle. Even as a child I had terrible calluses and big cracks in the soles of my feet; my mother even took me to the podiatrist to try to fix it, to no avail.

That being said, I would like my feet to look nice, of course! So I decided to give the Clarisonic Pedi a try; I have a Clarisonic Pro brush that I love, so it seemed a safe bet, plus I bought it from a retailer where I could return it if I wasn't happy with it - and I had a discount coupon so paid $149 for it.

Let me just start out by answering the $200 question that Clarisonic carefully avoids a direct answer to: do the disc and brush fit on a regular Clarisonic handle? The answer is yes, they do, and it will run. BUT - the motor strength of the Pedi handle is much more than the regular Clarisonic, making the Pedi brushes effective with the Pedi handle, where they are not nearly so with the regular Clarisonic. I have no way to measure, but by comparing I'd say it's twice as strong as the regular brush. I don't think you'd get very good results by using the Pedi brush/disc with a regular Clarisonic handle. The downside of the Pedi's strength is it does need charging much more often than the regular Clarisonic - I don't find this an issue though; I just connect it to the charger when I'm done when it shows it's getting low.

Packaging is a bit minimalist, but does the job - and who wants to pay extra for a fancy box that gets tossed? The brush comes with two heads: a smoothing disc and a heavy-duty wet/dry brush. Also in the package are the charger and three products which are basically an exfoliant, a lotion, and an AHA serum. One minor quibble I have with Clarisonic is that they used kind of cutesy names for the products that in my mind are easy to confuse when reading their directions: Pedi-Buff, Pedi-Boost, Pedi-Balm. Uh, what do I do...?

The exfoliant is meant to be used with the wet/dry brush, and does a nice job. It reminds me a lot in texture, actually, of the (in)famous St. Ives Apricot scrub. The downside is it gets clogged in the brush and it takes a bit to get it clean when you're done using it. The exfoliant and lotion are peppermint scented, fairly strong but not overpowering. The lotion is nice but I haven't noticed anything that would differentiate it from any good lotion. The AHA serum seems to work really well, and in combination with the other products and the brush/disc does a great job of smoothing my feet.

Their suggested regimen includes using the smoothing disc twice a week, followed by the brush, followed by the AHA serum, followed by the lotion; the rest of the time they suggest using the brush with the exfoliant, followed by the lotion. I haven't been quite as religious about following these exact instructions; I probably use the whole set twice to three times a week, and honestly I find myself avoiding the exfoliant due to the challenge of cleaning the brush afterward. That being said, I do think this makes a big difference in the smoothness and appearance of my feet.

To use this, I sit on the edge of the tub and follow the directions in the pamphlet that comes with the brush. I do this before showering in the morning. The process will take probably 15 minutes all told, so if you're the get-out-of-bed-at-the-last-possible-minute type, you may want to handle it differently - maybe before bedtime? One warning that may be obvious to you, but it sure wasn't to me the first time - your feet will be soft and slick so watch out when you stand up in the tub and try to move around that you don't slip and fall!

I read one review where the writer was complaining that her feet didn't end up as baby soft at the end of the treatment as when she goes to the nail salon. I'd agree with this statement - they aren't quite as soft, it's true. You don't spend half an hour soaking your feet in this process, either, or with gobs of cuticle oil and lotion rubbed in at the end. And, I don't know about you, but I can't afford to go get a pedicure every week - and that baby softness doesn't last more than a day anyway, at least for me. Over time I'd say this does 85-90% of what a pedicure will do, and I think it's at least potentially more economical.

Am I going to keep it? Yes. Would I replace all of the products? Probably not; I like the serum, but I'd bet the St Ives exfoliant would do the trick just as well, and I have lots of lotions around. I'm not put off by this though; I really dislike the Clarisonic cleansers with my face brush and use a different product with that as well.

I've had the unit for a few weeks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it for those that are interested. I'll edit if something else occurs to me. Hope this helps you in making a decision!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by katpower

I'm not sold on this product. I compare it to a kitchen gadget that you think you need but will actually just end up in the back of the cupboard. The price for the system is very high, and replacement products will certainly not be cheap. I find that the scrub is hard to clean out of the wet/dry brush and the overall effect is no better than using a pumice stone or similar product. In the end, by the time you go through the steps, client he brush head, charge it up etc. you are better of using a $1 pumice stone, just as effective and less time consuming. By the way, I got this for FREE and still think it's a waste of time and money.

Just wanted to mention that I am a huge fan of my Clarisonic, but find the Pedi Sonic time consuming and expensive for the results that it achieves.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by whocareswhoiam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overal rating is 4. I would rate this system a 5 but the battery needs to be charged three times a week, and the cost of the device is expensive; foot products are pricey. Having stated that upfront, this system rocks! Anti-aging for the feet that actually works! The device feels great to use. Anyone with a seat in their shower will love using the wet/dry brush daily. The booster serum is effective. The dry, cracking callouses feet (toes, balls, heels) are so much smoother after just a couple weeks of use. Do NOT use this over toes as it will totally destroy nail polish. This device is worth the investment if you plan to use it daily and can afford to keep up with the products. The system does work but anti-aging foot transformation comes at a high cost.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No