December 18, 2014 | 1839 users online

Palettes - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Palette

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This compact is just amazeballs. I use Dim all over my face after foundation with either a fluffy synthetic face brush or a fan brush, then use Incandescent to set my under eye concealer and highlight the tops of my cheeks. I don't use the third color so much (can't even remember the name) because my skin is rather yellow (nc25) and it turns slightly orange on my skin. However, it's not altogether unflattering and does really well in a pinch to add color and life to a face that is tired (or hungover).

I have used this compact every day for the last two months and just started to hit pan in the Dim color. The fabulousness of this product is in its subtlety. No matter what foundation you use or you just want to put it on bare skin, you will have an air brushed finish. It's your skin...but better. The blurring effect people are talking about is definitely real.

I will 100% buy the Dim color in its own compact when I run out of the one in the trio. My only gripe about Hourglass is that they don't make Incandescent in its own compact. It is a great way to set concealer or all over foundation if you're fair. The texture of the powder is like silk and doesn't dry my already dry under eye area. Instead of a regular translucent powder, Incandescent just adds a little something extra that is subtly flattering in all kinds of light.

The best thing about Hourglass as a company is that they don't test on animals.

Spread the amazeballs people!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by okazaki

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this, and the Ambient Blush palette during the Sephora VIB sale. The price --- very steep. This is probably one of the most expensive makeup products I've ever bought, but I decided to splurge. When I first opened it up, I was a little skeptical. The packaging is plastic; durable, but I feel that for the price, it should be more sturdy. It does collect fingerprints. But, it's pretty and sleek.

The powders themselves don't look like much, even when swatched. HOWEVER, when I tried this on my face... really beautiful. The first color, Dim Light, is what I use all over my face to set my foundation. I use a fluffy blush, and a little goes a long way. Next, I use Luminous Light to highlight (using the same fluffy brush) and it just adds a really pretty glow. If you're looking for a really intense, noticeable highlighter -- this is not it. It seems like people are expecting this to be very intense, but it's not. I also use a bit of this under my eyes to set my concealer. Next, I use Radiant Light as a bronzer of sorts, to sort of warm up my face (under cheekbones, down my nose, around temples) and it adds a lovely warmth to my fair skin, while still looking nice and not muddy, like most bronzers look on me.

This is about the 5th day I've used this stuff, and I can't get over how NICE it makes my skin look. I look so polished. I use it with the Ambient Lighting Blushes, and I think the combo is awesome.

So, like I said: Pricey, but I don't regret buying this stuff for a minute. It really makes my makeup look awesome. If you want to treat yourself, buy this! I feel that with daily use, it will last quite a while because a little really does go a long way.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

I have been wanting to try the ambient lighting powder for some time but I could never choose the one I wanted, so this was a perfect palette for me. The truth is that it's a total letdown. It's just a very subtle glow, like someone below me said, not really a highlighting powder. It really doesn't show up very well and it's too expensive to just keep in my junk beauty drawer so I'm returning it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by emilydoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I returned this because it didn't give me the highlight that I desire. It gives you a subtle... something, but it's not really a highlight. So if you're looking for something to really illuminate your cheeks, this is probably not the right product. But the quality is amazing. The powder is very very smooth and finely milled.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Guinnessgirl50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I use every one of these powders and love the quality of each. Dim is an amazing all-over finishing powder for my fair, aging skin that appreciates the slight blurring effect. Luminous is my only favored highlighter, as it is subtle and doesn't emphasize the fine lines. Radiant is too warm for a winter bronzer or contour for me but worked great as blush/ bronzer in summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues to provide a subtle nude blush in winter. It has a pink tinge that I much prefer to more orange-skewing bronzers.

I will likely use up Dim first and will absolutely repurchase, as it's really exceptional and the one "must have" of the palette.

My only complaint about the palette is minor: I find the pan sizes to be too small to accommodate most of my powder brushes without dipping into the neighboring pans. Not a deal breaker, but it does make it less convenient than individual compacts would be.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had this palette since November of last year and I just haven't got as much use out of it as I would've liked for how expensive this is.

Dim Light is just a bit too dark for my skin for an all over powder. My sister who is a shade or two darker than me loves this shade and can use it all over her face. Because I'm trying to find a use for this I've decided to use it as sort of a blending agent for my contouring under my cheekbones. I also run this around the perimeter of my forehead, which sounds odd, but my forehead is pretty big so I like to try to slim it down using contouring. This shade doesn't really do a whole lot for me.

Incandescent Light is a nice highlight. It's nothing special though in comparison to the other highlighters I own. I have a lot of highlighters, so maybe someone with a smaller collection would appreciate this more!

Radiant Light is a light shimmery bronzer. At least that's what I use it for. I'm not too wowed by this either because I'm not really one for shimmery bronzer in general.

I think when I purchased this I really wanted to see what the hype was about so I figured the best way to see was to get one palette with three shades to try. Well, I purchased Diffused Light right after this and I absolutely love it. I'm almost out and will definitely be repurchasing that shade. I think it's best to really know your skin and what you really use before you pay this much for something. Yes, it is a good deal, however keep in mind it isn't for everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by AmbyBambi88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After I first saw this online I knew I had to have it, it seemed so wonderful and luxurious.
I am very pale, and I find this wonderful.
On days I wear no makeup I use this lightly to contour and highlight, and on days I am wearing a full face I apply my normal contouring and then the palette over the top.
I am left with such a flawless finish on my face, sheen and dim where you want it.
Just using the palette makes you feel good!

While I think the packaging is great I left a lippy off because I would have preferred it to be metal for longevity.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been eyeing the individual Ambient powders for so long but could never decide on a shade. I had no idea what kind of "lighting effect" I wanted, and being so pale I felt like a lot of the colors would just end up being too deep for my skin tone. This palette has been on my mind since it was released and I finally decided to buy it two weeks ago. Overall I think it's a great product. I think it being considered "necessary" depends on a person's particular needs and if that person feels it's adding something special to their makeup routine. Everyone's going to have a different experience with it.

I've been using Chanel's Perfection Lumière Velvet foundation this summer, which has a more satin/matte finish, so I like the extra glow this palette gives my skin. I find the effect similar to what I get using Guerlain's pressed meteorites powder, though that's more sheer and shimmery. For reference my skin is normal with occasional dry or combination areas, and very sensitive.

Here's a few of my past and current foundations for a color reference:
Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet in 10 Beige
Laura Mercier TM in Porcelain
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation in 200
YSL Touche Eclat in B10

Here's how I use the powders:

Dim Light- I use all over to set my foundation. It's doesn't seem to add any color to my skin, only a softening, luminescent effect that's very subtle. It looks neutral to cool beige to my eyes and I love that it brightens my face without the need for a dewy, more moisturizing foundation underneath.

Incandescent Light- This I use as a highlighter on the tops of my cheekbones, my brow bones, and down the center of my nose. Sometimes I use it to set my under eye concealer too. It's a pale, neutral white-beige that has more shimmer than the other two powders but still doesn't read as sparkly or over the top.

Radiant Light- I like this as a blush/bronzer and dust it over my cheeks and chin and forehead rather than using it in a contour type of way. It adds some healthy summer looking color to my skin while still being subtle and not giving me that traditionally bronzed appearance. On my skin it looks like a warm, light golden-copper tone.

I really like the soft texture, though they're incredibly powdery so it tends to get all over the palette every time I swirl my brush around. Luckily it doesn't translate as a dusty or dry effect once its on my skin. Blends well and feels comfortable on.

I don't think they're as subtle as I was expecting based on blog swatches and reviews. They're definitely luminescent to certain degrees so I can see how they might be off-putting to those who like a more mattifying effect in their powders. And yes the palette itself is quite small for the price. But a little goes a long way and since I use two of the powders in light doses (as highlighter and bronzer/blush) I think it's going to go a long way for me. Having this I don't feel like I'd want to buy any of the individual Ambient Powders now since this covers basically anything I'd really need as far as a finishing powder goes. So at least it killed that ongoing lemming!

I don't regret purchasing this and overall I think it's a lovely, quality palette. Would I buy it again? I'm not sure... especially considering how many other great powders are out there. But for now I'm saying yes I would repurchase.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by organicmakeupjunkie

Though nice, nothing justifies the price for this product. Let's face it, you're paying for the name and the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by PeacefulSeraph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After reading all the positive reviews on the web, I bit the bullet and bought this product. I wanted to love it, as it was highly coveted by other sephora and MUA members... but my feelings for it were just lukewarm. The lightest color wasn't light enough on my skin- it just blended in. The medium color was too dark and yellow to be of any use- least of all to lowlight areas! The only color I'm able to use is the darkest because it's working as a light bronzer. I'm not even very happy with the results as they do not last all day like my tarte waterproof bronzer does nor look as natural as my guerlain bronzer for blondes does. If it wasn't so expensive I'd just hand it over to one of my tanner friends (who don't wear a lot of makeup)- but instead I'll probably give it to my mom who asked me for it- even though her skin is only 1-2 shades darker than mine, and the product won't show up on her either.

NOTE: If you're porcelain skinned, and 98% of foundation colors are too dark for you- do NOT buy this palette! Sorry, but seriously, it's just not worth it.