Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

4.3

on 5/20/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i really like this. i use dim light all over. incandescent over my highlight, and radiant light as a bronzer. i use it sometimes if i dont want to wear foundation and it actually makes my skin look better. at first i felt like it did nothing but i really like it now. adds a nice glow and makes the skin look better. can't tell you exactly what changes, just seems nicer. maybe its all placebo. anyway its pretty pricy but seems like itd last a while

on 5/12/2015 6:25:00 PM

I've heard a lot about hourglass ambient lighting powders and was curious to try. The palette is SMALL. You get 3 colors: dim light, incandescent light (LE) and radiant light. Each color contains about 3.3g of product. It costs $67CDN. When you think about it, you're actually paying more for the palette than you would for 1 full size product. Granted, you do get 3 colors which includes an LE shade but ultimately... total weight of product is equivalent to 1 full size ambient lighting powder ($52CDN).

The powders are very smooth and silky and I love how they feel! Unfortunately, this palette did nothing for my skin. I realize these are "finishing" powders not highlighting powders but when I applied it, I saw no difference in my skin. The powders are EXTREMELY sheer. I have tried using many different types of brushes and they all yield the same result. No difference. I get "slightly" better results using a sponge and packing the product on, but to me, that defeats the purpose. This also broke me out.

I really wanted to love this palette but sadly, it didn't work out for me.

I do want to note that I love what hourglass stands for: cruelty free, vegan friendly, quality ingredients etc.

on 4/14/2015 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Saw this a while back on the beauty blogs and had to get it! I know this is technically a "finishing powder," but because I'm lazy, I've been using it also as a setting powder with great results. I set my concealer with the lighter powder (incandescent light) and use the medium (dim light) for the rest of my face. I finish off by using the radiant light as a bronzer around the edges of my face. Doesn't replace my bronzer but gives a nice glow. A sephora worker told me she mixes dim and radiant light for an all over wash. I absolutely love this palette! I love the subtle glow it gives. If you hare that matte cakey look some powders give, brush this on top and it will make your skin look gorgeous.

I love this product.

When I received it in the mail, I immediately had buyers remorse, because I didn't want to spend that much money on makeup. But nontheless, I decided to try it out... and I love it.

I am very pale. Like fair skinned to begin with, but also haven't been out in the sun all winter. I use the lightest shade to highlight under the eyes. It sets my concealer with a highlighty glow. Diffuses lines, pores, wrinkles. Very finely milled.

I use the bronze shade to dust my large forehead for a very natural sun kissed bronze.

Stays on all day. Expensive. Ugh I love it and will buy it again

on 4/8/2015 1:08:00 AM

I've had this for probably five months now and I've maybe used it eight times. I'm still trying to fall in love with this like so many others but the pallet so toon may not be the right fit for me. The packaging is luxurious and the formula is great. I swatched it in the store and it looked beautiful. Saved up to buy this and got it. Have tried numerous times to try contouring with it a bit of just use it as a light dusted highlight...., I'm not wowed. The color I thought I'd love ( Dim) It looks too pink on my NC20 skin tone. I like the radiance and incandescent. But I feel like my MAC skin finish singles I've used as a setting powder work better.I would not repurchase

on 3/28/2015 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is one product I use everyday in some way. I would repurchase the palette again, but would 100% repurchase Dim and Radiant light in the single when I run out. Since Incandescent light is exclusive to the palette I would probably go with Luminous Light. Dim light has been my go to finishing powder. I use my It Cosmetics Stippling Brush which is quite big and when I'm done with all my makeup I lightly sweep this over my entire face. It blurs my pores and fine lines and gives a lovely glow. I apply radiant light with a big powder brush on top of my bronzer and it adds a hint of warmth but again gives you a natural sun kissed glow. Incandescent Light is a lovely highlight for a natural everyday look IMO. I think this is worth every penny and I'm curious to try more colors.

I am in love with this! At first I thought it was verrrry pricey, but then I thought, well you get 3 colors and the pans are raised/rounded. I feel like they will last me a long time. It took a lot of time for me to cave and actually purchase this palette but I absolutely love it. The dim light is so gorgeous on top of your cheekbones or on your forehead/ all over. The incandescent light is an amazing highlighter shade for cheek bones or brow bone. And radiant light gives such a nice glow to the cheeks. A lit from within look as they say. If you want a truly natural glow, get this pallet. It's so versatile. Very happy with my purchase

on 3/2/2015 3:07:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This palette looks mighty scary in the pan, to me anyway, i never use shimmery powder since i have got an oily tzone, and the pan looks too shimmery to me.
My girlfriends assured its not shimmery and once it go on the skin, they are so right.
This powder is nothing I have seen before in a setting powder, it imparts a glow, not shimmery but light reflecting, healthy glow.
I still set my foundation with translucent powder first then a light dust with a mix of dim light and iredesent light (the one in the middle). It instantly blurs things out, i don't know how to describe it but its probably the nicest looking powder i have come crossed.
Even after a full day at work, i don't look greasy, its glowy!
Its super fine milled, the darkest shade works like a light bronzer for me which i love.
definitely will buy the full size if i ever run out, really great product.

on 2/7/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love it! No animal testing (thankyou Hourglass as this has started to be a dealbreaker for me) and all three colours in the palette are purrrfect! I purchased it with a Christmas voucher and if I could walk around with a handmirror to admire myself - I would! But don't/can't. I use the Radiant Light ( hope I'm reading the names underneath in the correct order) lightly over my foundation with a big powder brush which wipes a few years off, then the middle one Incandescent across my eyelids with a fat eyeshadow brush and top of my cheekbones and cupid's bow then the Dim Light as a contour using a buffing brush. Takes 2 minutes, looks amazing and lasts all day. Someone at work actually said " what have you done? you look good" ( thanks I think!). I'm delighted! My skin colour is basic beige ( Chanel #30 usually during our Aussie summer), combination - oh forgot to say I'm not shining at lunchtime either now but I did reapply one night when I got home just to see it caked/got heavy/looked dreadful and it didn't. Its FABULOUS!

on 1/25/2015 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hesitance and lemming all at the same time.

I have wanted this palette for ages, due to 'Radiant Light' and 'Incandescent Light' being in the palette. Moreso, I did not want to spill $52 CAD for a large Radiant Light that I would likely never finish.

However, why was I hesitant? A. The price, and B. Dim light. That powder that I did not hit off with when I purchased a fullsize during the VIB 20% sale due to the hype.

I am NC15 for reference. With dry skin. My everyday powder all over (due to not needing a setting powder) is HG Ethereal or Diffused light. I lay these other three powders over as 'finishing powders' or face colors. Those with oilier skins may need a setting powder as these do not control oil.

After playing around, I realized that this palette was a perfect 'subtle enough for work, yet beautiful for everyday and photos etc' depending on how much I layered it. For my personal daily use, I wear a sheer layer of each.

Dim light: darker than my skintone, beigey peach powder. This served for me as a contour (oh my.) It's subtle and wouldn't work for those with darker skintones in this purpose, but I love it under the cheekbones for a subtle color. It's the only way I can use this shade. All over my face, it alters the colour of my foundation, and on my cheeks, it goes on patchy and has the color of a terrible patchy brown-pink tone.

Incandescent light: A subtle highlight that has more sheen than Ethereal Light or Diffused Light. I would only use this on high peaks of the face, ( as I have not tried it allover yet and do not plan on doing so.)

Radiant light: The one I was looking most forward to, which others found curious why. This is a perfect bronzer. Light, and slight sheen, it is rather orange, which was precisely what I wanted it for. Due to it's formulation, and with use of brushes that lend itself for light application, I love this atop my cheeks as a bronzer. ( I do not use this for contouring. ) This is my favourite of the palette which makes me happy.

To be honest, I do not think this is necessary in anyone's stash. We've all got highlighters, powders, bronzers, etc. If you're able to set aside some cash for this, I'd suggest trying it if you had your eye on them. I know the price is not exactly reasonable at $67 CAD. It's not necessary, but I do love it. :)

Popular Palettes