Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

4.4

I came across this on the Sephora website when I filtered by highest reviews. I read the reviews on Sephora and then on Makeupalley and was really impressed with what people were saying. I decided to give it a try, even though itís really expensive at $58. Iím so glad I tried it!

This palette consists of three shades of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders. From left to right, itís Dim Light (which I see as an all-over-face finishing powder), Incandescent Light (for highlighting cheekbones, brow, nose, etc.) and Radiant Light (a warmer, bronze-ier shade that could be used for adding warmth if youíre medium skin toned or for contouring if youíre fair or light). Dim doesnít have much shimmer, while Radiant Light has a little, and Incandescent Light has the most of the three, but itís still not too much and itís not overly glittery, just a slight shimmer.

At first, I wasnít sold on this. I tried it out on my whole face and I thought it looked nice, but I wasnít sure if it was doing anything more amazing than my Smashbox Contouring Kit was doing. The next day, I put on my foundation, and then used the powders on one half of my face as follows:

Dim Light all over

Incandescent Light on my cheekbone, brow bone, above my eyebrow, down my nose, cupidís bow, and chin.

Radiant Light in E shape on face (temple, hollow of cheekbone, jawline)

When only half my face was done, I could tell a drastic difference between the two halves. One side looked soft, perfected, and healthy, while the other half looked flat, dull, and one dimensional. The contouring was subtle, but I could still see that my cheekbones looked more defined. I saw the ďglowyĒ effect that I had read in the reviews. I even asked my boyfriend, who knows nothing about makeup, if he could tell a difference, and he said that one side looked like it had more color and was healthier (he was talking about the side with Ambient Lighting powders).

Overall, I am in love with this powder. Itís a subtle difference, but I think I look much more polished and pretty with this on. Iíve gotten a few compliments at work that I look ďniceĒ or ďso cute.Ē This is really expensive, and Iím interested to see how long it lasts me, but I think Iím hooked!

on 8/16/2015 9:32:00 PM

OMG love live love this product!! I have it onbin the video below.. I wear it daily.. gives a soft glow to your face.. VERY natural looking!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Hourglass is not available in Singapore. I heard so much about this that when I saw them in London, I bought not one palette, but two, despite the hefty price tag! Anyway, I share the same opinion as the reviewer below - doesn't make me prettier than if I were to use Bobbi Brown's Pale Yellow Powder, or Guerlain Meteriotes (compact). Also, I avoid Incandescent Light (center) on my T-zone/sides of nose. Don't want to add any shine. I am just trying to finish up both palettes. Most times I'll use a big brush, swipe through all three colours and then swipe over my face.

on 8/1/2015 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is good but I believe it is totally unnecessary. Is any face product worth $75? I looked at photos where I am wearing this, and then photos where I am wearing regular highlighters and powders, and there really is not a noticeable difference. I wanted to believe there was a miraculous change in my skin tone, subtle and mysterious, and it was worth it, but I had to admit that was not true. I got an equally good effect using drug store powders. If you can afford it, sure, it is nice, but it's not a miraculous effect by any means.

on 7/26/2015 6:55:00 AM

I've been lemming over this for a loong time but finally caved in.

It costs $76.00 here in Australia, you know. But, it was worth it.

You get a glow from within once applied. No obvious glittery shimmer
from cheap highlighters ( I have W7's Hollywood bronzer/highlighter which is good
but the glitter was a little obvious.).

I urge women my age to buy this, it literally shaves years off from your face.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I use this allll the time, it is soo worth every penny spent. Honestly my only gripe is that from repeated use, the Hourglass logo has rubbed off from the top cover of the palette. But I am weird like that. Anyways, this baby has kept me from spending $$$ elsewhere looking for another highlighter, and MANY have come out this summer from the whole strobing craze etc. I love how fine the powder is, how it just melts into my skin, it really does look like flattering light cast on the high points of your face. Dim light is the star though, I use it most often, sweeping it all over. Don't think it's doing anything? Take a photo of yourself. For some inexplicable reason, Dim light will make your skin look flawless and I think the effect is much more obvious in photos. I havent appreciated the Radiant bronzer/highlight till recently. As an aside, I love and have a full compact of Mood light, but I hated Diffused, it looked glittery to me, like Radiant, but ymmv. The only other highlighter I have been impressed with enough to want to buy is Kevyn Aucoin's celestial powder.

on 6/22/2015 6:21:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I came across this Hourglass Ambient Lighting palette while browsing in Sephora. Decided to try the product on my hand and was immediately sold. The palette is quite pricey but had to have it. When I got it home and applied to my face I couldn't believe how smooth and air brushed my makeup looked! I am very fair so the darker colors actually give me a look like I have a bit of a tan. The powder is so soft and smooth, not cakey, no perfume smell and there is just a bit of I guess you would say pearl to it that gives you a dewy look but not shiny or sparkly. A little bit goes a long way. Like I said it's a bit pricey but I would definitely buy again because I use this everyday...a definite must have!

on 6/17/2015 7:44:00 PM

I love this brand! I remember I used to always asked Nordstrom if they will ever carry this brand, then they finally do!

I love the packaging of Hourglass. It's just very sleek and elegant. Definitely high end. Price wise - well it's not affordable at all. Only if you have the extra money, then go for it.

Is it worth? This palette is very worthwhile of your money!! First I rarely used up a powder compact ever, never did actually because I keep buying new products and they made me do it - Sephora, Ulta and Nordstrom!!

So if you can have three shades in one compact, that is really fantastic! That's more than enough for one person anyway. I regret deeply that I did not get the blush palette as well, too bad for me. But if you can still get this powder palette. Go Get It.

The shade is very versatile no matter what shades you are wearing. I am NC20 -25, I use them all over my face. No problem. It does not cake up and very fine and smooth texture. Does not come with any scent so I know it's not too chemical, peace of mind.

The product does not harm my sensitive skin at all, no seabum or breakout whatsoever. I will continue to use this product!! Not sure if I will purchase it again, not that I don't want to but I don't think I 'need" to because there are new products coming out almost every week from different brands!!! We consumers are very lucky.

I love this stuff! It's beautiful, light and gives you an amazing glow. I find it lasts really long and if it's not lasting long then you need to use less, hourglass makeup is intended to make you look great without anyone being able to tell it's on your face - resist the urge to be heavy handed!

Dim light is my all round finishing powder and it blurs all my bumps and creases into smoothness. Incandescent Light is a great highlighter for my daytime makeup and then at night I combine it with another highlighter. Radiant light I use on top of bronzer, blush and or concealer to add a bit of a sunny glow. When I go out I swipe a big brush over all of them and use that as my last bit of powder which looks fantastic IMO.

It is really expensive, but I love it so much that I justify it and well...beauty is pain...the painful demise of your bank accounts.

on 6/5/2015 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Really brightens up your face, I mix dim light and radiant light and dust it all over my face and then take radiant light under my eyes to set my concealer. I use incandescent light to highlight my cheeks and nose. It makes you look glowy and refreshed. Go buy it!

Popular Palettes