October 22, 2014 | 1962 users online

Palettes - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Palette

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by emilydoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I returned this because it didn't give me the highlight that I desire. It gives you a subtle... something, but it's not really a highlight. So if you're looking for something to really illuminate your cheeks, this is probably not the right product. But the quality is amazing. The powder is very very smooth and finely milled.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Guinnessgirl50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I use every one of these powders and love the quality of each. Dim is an amazing all-over finishing powder for my fair, aging skin that appreciates the slight blurring effect. Luminous is my only favored highlighter, as it is subtle and doesn't emphasize the fine lines. Radiant is too warm for a winter bronzer or contour for me but worked great as blush/ bronzer in summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues to provide a subtle nude blush in winter. It has a pink tinge that I much prefer to more orange-skewing bronzers.

I will likely use up Dim first and will absolutely repurchase, as it's really exceptional and the one "must have" of the palette.

My only complaint about the palette is minor: I find the pan sizes to be too small to accommodate most of my powder brushes without dipping into the neighboring pans. Not a deal breaker, but it does make it less convenient than individual compacts would be.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had this palette since November of last year and I just haven't got as much use out of it as I would've liked for how expensive this is.

Dim Light is just a bit too dark for my skin for an all over powder. My sister who is a shade or two darker than me loves this shade and can use it all over her face. Because I'm trying to find a use for this I've decided to use it as sort of a blending agent for my contouring under my cheekbones. I also run this around the perimeter of my forehead, which sounds odd, but my forehead is pretty big so I like to try to slim it down using contouring. This shade doesn't really do a whole lot for me.

Incandescent Light is a nice highlight. It's nothing special though in comparison to the other highlighters I own. I have a lot of highlighters, so maybe someone with a smaller collection would appreciate this more!

Radiant Light is a light shimmery bronzer. At least that's what I use it for. I'm not too wowed by this either because I'm not really one for shimmery bronzer in general.

I think when I purchased this I really wanted to see what the hype was about so I figured the best way to see was to get one palette with three shades to try. Well, I purchased Diffused Light right after this and I absolutely love it. I'm almost out and will definitely be repurchasing that shade. I think it's best to really know your skin and what you really use before you pay this much for something. Yes, it is a good deal, however keep in mind it isn't for everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by AmbyBambi88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After I first saw this online I knew I had to have it, it seemed so wonderful and luxurious.
I am very pale, and I find this wonderful.
On days I wear no makeup I use this lightly to contour and highlight, and on days I am wearing a full face I apply my normal contouring and then the palette over the top.
I am left with such a flawless finish on my face, sheen and dim where you want it.
Just using the palette makes you feel good!

While I think the packaging is great I left a lippy off because I would have preferred it to be metal for longevity.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been eyeing the individual Ambient powders for so long but could never decide on a shade. I had no idea what kind of "lighting effect" I wanted, and being so pale I felt like a lot of the colors would just end up being too deep for my skin tone. This palette has been on my mind since it was released and I finally decided to buy it two weeks ago. Overall I think it's a great product. I think it being considered "necessary" depends on a person's particular needs and if that person feels it's adding something special to their makeup routine. Everyone's going to have a different experience with it.

I've been using Chanel's Perfection Lumière Velvet foundation this summer, which has a more satin/matte finish, so I like the extra glow this palette gives my skin. I find the effect similar to what I get using Guerlain's pressed meteorites powder, though that's more sheer and shimmery. For reference my skin is normal with occasional dry or combination areas, and very sensitive.

Here's a few of my past and current foundations for a color reference:
Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet in 10 Beige
Laura Mercier TM in Porcelain
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation in 200
YSL Touche Eclat in B10

Here's how I use the powders:

Dim Light- I use all over to set my foundation. It's doesn't seem to add any color to my skin, only a softening, luminescent effect that's very subtle. It looks neutral to cool beige to my eyes and I love that it brightens my face without the need for a dewy, more moisturizing foundation underneath.

Incandescent Light- This I use as a highlighter on the tops of my cheekbones, my brow bones, and down the center of my nose. Sometimes I use it to set my under eye concealer too. It's a pale, neutral white-beige that has more shimmer than the other two powders but still doesn't read as sparkly or over the top.

Radiant Light- I like this as a blush/bronzer and dust it over my cheeks and chin and forehead rather than using it in a contour type of way. It adds some healthy summer looking color to my skin while still being subtle and not giving me that traditionally bronzed appearance. On my skin it looks like a warm, light golden-copper tone.

I really like the soft texture, though they're incredibly powdery so it tends to get all over the palette every time I swirl my brush around. Luckily it doesn't translate as a dusty or dry effect once its on my skin. Blends well and feels comfortable on.

I don't think they're as subtle as I was expecting based on blog swatches and reviews. They're definitely luminescent to certain degrees so I can see how they might be off-putting to those who like a more mattifying effect in their powders. And yes the palette itself is quite small for the price. But a little goes a long way and since I use two of the powders in light doses (as highlighter and bronzer/blush) I think it's going to go a long way for me. Having this I don't feel like I'd want to buy any of the individual Ambient Powders now since this covers basically anything I'd really need as far as a finishing powder goes. So at least it killed that ongoing lemming!

I don't regret purchasing this and overall I think it's a lovely, quality palette. Would I buy it again? I'm not sure... especially considering how many other great powders are out there. But for now I'm saying yes I would repurchase.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2014 10:20:00 AM More reviews by organicmakeupjunkie

Though nice, nothing justifies the price for this product. Let's face it, you're paying for the name and the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by PeacefulSeraph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After reading all the positive reviews on the web, I bit the bullet and bought this product. I wanted to love it, as it was highly coveted by other sephora and MUA members... but my feelings for it were just lukewarm. The lightest color wasn't light enough on my skin- it just blended in. The medium color was too dark and yellow to be of any use- least of all to lowlight areas! The only color I'm able to use is the darkest because it's working as a light bronzer. I'm not even very happy with the results as they do not last all day like my tarte waterproof bronzer does nor look as natural as my guerlain bronzer for blondes does. If it wasn't so expensive I'd just hand it over to one of my tanner friends (who don't wear a lot of makeup)- but instead I'll probably give it to my mom who asked me for it- even though her skin is only 1-2 shades darker than mine, and the product won't show up on her either.

NOTE: If you're porcelain skinned, and 98% of foundation colors are too dark for you- do NOT buy this palette! Sorry, but seriously, it's just not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 7:53:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Way back in the fall or winter, when Sephora had a 20% off VIB offer, I tried to buy this palette but it was sold out and I was disappointed. I was really on the fence about these Ambient Light Powders....were they really worth the price or was it a case of "the Emperor has no clothes" - a pricey gimmick that everyone was raving about because they'd dropped such a bundle on them that they felt they had to praise them. Of course, the reviews here on MUA (which I pretty much trust) were not a lot of help since they were so divergent, going from "pricey let-down" to "best powder EVER". Add to this the fact that I wasn't really sure (nor could I really tell "in-store" because of the lighting) which shade would be most useful to me AND I wasn't willing to splash out over $150 to get the 3 that I was most interested in, and there was my dilemma. I wanted a way to try several of these powders in a less costly way and the palette seemed the best idea but it sold out and it was LE so I gave up on these and found many new makeup distractions....

Lo' and behold, Hourglass then decided to make these permanent so I got this palette a few weeks ago and I'm really very pleased with it. All 3 shades work well for my skin tone. All 3 impart a very nice, flattering but subtle sheen or brightness quickly and easily, especially compared to liquid options like MAC Strobe cream, etc. The shade I like best is, of course, the one that is only available in this palette (Incandescent) - Hourglass would do well to release this as an individual powder. I really like to use it to set my Clarins under-eye concealer - it gives more staying power in warm weather and also helps with the "concealing" effect. Additionally, the shade I like the best from the regular sized powders and which I would love to try (and will probably purchase as a single) - the colour Ethereal - isn't included in this palette. But this is a great value and a great way to get an assortment of these powders without breaking the bank. Certainly, these aren't life-changing or "can't live without" products but they are darned nice to have.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette is possibly the most decadent, over the top, unnecessary make up product in all of my make up collection, but since everybody and their mother seems to be talking about these right now I felt compelled to go and buy it.
I know that a lot of people love the powders and the blushes but from most of the reviews I read a lot of people suggested buying this palette first to get an idea of what to expect, so I did exactly that. You get three beautiful shades called Dim Light, Incandescent Light (limited edition) & Radiant Light.
At first, like most others, I assumed this to be a highlighter palette, but it is in fact finishing powders designed to enhance and flatter your skin. The 'healthy glow effect' if you will. I was a little bit scared when I first found out they were finishing powders, I like dewy glowy skin as much as the next person but the sheer amount of shimmer in them made me feel a little like I was going to look as though I'd been smacked in the face with glitter. I could not be more wrong though.
Pretty much what they are designed to do is bring the life back into the face after you've done all your make up. They are not setting powders; seeing as setting powders are mostly designed to mattify and keep the make up in place. They simply finish the face to give you a subtle glow that sometimes we take away by using matte products all the time.
Anyway, the shades themselves are as follows:
. Dim Light- This is a very neutral toned pale beige shade, with very pale subtle satiny sheen. When applied to the skin, in neither darkened nor lightened my face at all, hence the neutral tone making it almost translucent. It just gives you a little bit of 'health' back into the face, it is also the least shimmery of the three in the palette.
. Incandescent Light- Again a very pale beige ivory shade with white shimmer running through it, and very neutral toned once again. This is probably the only shade in the palette designed to be placed on the high points of the face like cheekbones, nose bridge and cupids bow. Its pearlescent shimmer makes it one of the prettiest highlighters I own.
. Radiant Light- This is a peachy orange shade that looks a little like it could be a very pale bronzer for a fair person like me but it is still a finishing powder. It a light to medium tone, so for fair skinned people this will make you look a bit warmer, because again it blends out so it doesn't make you look orange or anything like that. I actually find this accompanies a bronzer very well though, it makes it look more glowy and sheeny and beautiful.
The main reason why I say this palette is 'decadent' is because you don't need a finishing powder, although it has changed my make up dramatically, its not necessary for use every day. Plus it is ridiculously expensive, if I were on a budget this would be the first thing I'd cut out, but on the flip side the quality is unreal. The powders are so soft and delicate to the touch and you don't need a lot of the product so it should last you a good while, seeing as you don't need to pack it on to make a difference.
Overall, I love it. It gives a gorgeous glow and people have commented that my skin looks healthier and radiant on more than one occasion which makes me feel good about having spent the money on it. Would most definitely recommend, not sure if I'd be able to afford repurchase all the time but I probably will be buying more from the line.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by justinetindall

Amazing powders, thought this palette is a total RIP OFF for the amount you get. There's only 9 grams in the whole thing! At $67, I would expect to get a little more...

Anywhoo, face looks flawless, love how lux it makes my skin look. Soft, matte, and luminous all at the same time. Works great with my combo-oily skin. Stays all day. Super sexy in the summer heat- no lie.

Though I always love to try new things, I would still buy it again.