January 27, 2015 | 1321 users online

Palettes - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2015 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Hesitance and lemming all at the same time.

I have wanted this palette for ages, due to 'Radiant Light' and 'Incandescent Light' being in the palette. Moreso, I did not want to spill $52 CAD for a large Radiant Light that I would likely never finish.

However, why was I hesitant? A. The price, and B. Dim light. That powder that I did not hit off with when I purchased a fullsize during the VIB 20% sale due to the hype.

I am NC15 for reference. With dry skin. My everyday powder all over (due to not needing a setting powder) is HG Ethereal or Diffused light. I lay these other three powders over as 'finishing powders' or face colors. Those with oilier skins may need a setting powder as these do not control oil.

After playing around, I realized that this palette was a perfect 'subtle enough for work, yet beautiful for everyday and photos etc' depending on how much I layered it. For my personal daily use, I wear a sheer layer of each.

Dim light: darker than my skintone, beigey peach powder. This served for me as a contour (oh my.) It's subtle and wouldn't work for those with darker skintones in this purpose, but I love it under the cheekbones for a subtle color. It's the only way I can use this shade. All over my face, it alters the colour of my foundation, and on my cheeks, it goes on patchy and has the color of a terrible patchy brown-pink tone.

Incandescent light: A subtle highlight that has more sheen than Ethereal Light or Diffused Light. I would only use this on high peaks of the face, ( as I have not tried it allover yet and do not plan on doing so.)

Radiant light: The one I was looking most forward to, which others found curious why. This is a perfect bronzer. Light, and slight sheen, it is rather orange, which was precisely what I wanted it for. Due to it's formulation, and with use of brushes that lend itself for light application, I love this atop my cheeks as a bronzer. ( I do not use this for contouring. ) This is my favourite of the palette which makes me happy.

To be honest, I do not think this is necessary in anyone's stash. We've all got highlighters, powders, bronzers, etc. If you're able to set aside some cash for this, I'd suggest trying it if you had your eye on them. I know the price is not exactly reasonable at $67 CAD. It's not necessary, but I do love it. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2015 1:45:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This palette was my first Hourglass purchase and despite using this several different ways, I just don't love it. Fortunately I purchased this using a %-off promo so I didn't pay full price, but it was still pretty expensive.

The first couple times I used this palette, it made my skin look chalky. I wasn't sure if it was my dry winter skin, my foundation choice, or this palette, so I tried again. Then, I noticed my face looked orange. I used a cotton pad and wiped my face and it was covered in orange powder. I think Dim was the culprit because I use mostly Dim and Incandescent, although I don't know if it applies orange, or oxidized on my skin. I used Dim all over my face as a setting powder, but after I realized it was making me orange I mixed it with the center shade, Incandescent, which seemed to help.

Incandescent is my favorite of the three shades, and it can be used as a highlighter all over the face, including under the browbone. It's not my favorite highlighter though because it's much too subtle. Radiant is considered the contouring shade of the three but I find it leans too orange for me. I like the contouring shade in the Charlotte Tillbury duo much better. In fact, the CT duo spoiled me because the shades suit my complexion much better and deliver better results.

I was expecting this palette to wow me but I didn't. I bought it because people were raving about how it made their skin look luminous and perfect but I didn't notice the blurring effect of Dim (just that it made my face orange), didn't think that Incandescent showed up unless applied with a heavy hand (too easy to overapply) and I just didn't like Radiant (too orange but also too subtle, seemed to disappear from my skin). The CT duo doesn't contain an all over setting/blurring powder like this palette does, but I think it does contouring and highlighting much better so I would pick it hands down over this HG palette, which leans much too warm/orange for me. For reference, I'm NC 25-30ish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by suzi2qs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I simply love this palette. I have used the individual colors as a wash of color for my lids. When I use it on my face, I sweep my brush over all three colors and lightly dust all over my face. The color is luminous, blends like a dream and lasts most of the work day. Thumbs up all the way!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This compact is just amazeballs. I use Dim all over my face after foundation with either a fluffy synthetic face brush or a fan brush, then use Incandescent to set my under eye concealer and highlight the tops of my cheeks. I don't use the third color so much (can't even remember the name) because my skin is rather yellow (nc25) and it turns slightly orange on my skin. However, it's not altogether unflattering and does really well in a pinch to add color and life to a face that is tired (or hungover).

I have used this compact every day for the last two months and just started to hit pan in the Dim color. The fabulousness of this product is in its subtlety. No matter what foundation you use or you just want to put it on bare skin, you will have an air brushed finish. It's your skin...but better. The blurring effect people are talking about is definitely real.

I will 100% buy the Dim color in its own compact when I run out of the one in the trio. My only gripe about Hourglass is that they don't make Incandescent in its own compact. It is a great way to set concealer or all over foundation if you're fair. The texture of the powder is like silk and doesn't dry my already dry under eye area. Instead of a regular translucent powder, Incandescent just adds a little something extra that is subtly flattering in all kinds of light.

The best thing about Hourglass as a company is that they don't test on animals.

Spread the amazeballs people!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by okazaki

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this, and the Ambient Blush palette during the Sephora VIB sale. The price --- very steep. This is probably one of the most expensive makeup products I've ever bought, but I decided to splurge. When I first opened it up, I was a little skeptical. The packaging is plastic; durable, but I feel that for the price, it should be more sturdy. It does collect fingerprints. But, it's pretty and sleek.

The powders themselves don't look like much, even when swatched. HOWEVER, when I tried this on my face... really beautiful. The first color, Dim Light, is what I use all over my face to set my foundation. I use a fluffy blush, and a little goes a long way. Next, I use Luminous Light to highlight (using the same fluffy brush) and it just adds a really pretty glow. If you're looking for a really intense, noticeable highlighter -- this is not it. It seems like people are expecting this to be very intense, but it's not. I also use a bit of this under my eyes to set my concealer. Next, I use Radiant Light as a bronzer of sorts, to sort of warm up my face (under cheekbones, down my nose, around temples) and it adds a lovely warmth to my fair skin, while still looking nice and not muddy, like most bronzers look on me.

This is about the 5th day I've used this stuff, and I can't get over how NICE it makes my skin look. I look so polished. I use it with the Ambient Lighting Blushes, and I think the combo is awesome.

So, like I said: Pricey, but I don't regret buying this stuff for a minute. It really makes my makeup look awesome. If you want to treat yourself, buy this! I feel that with daily use, it will last quite a while because a little really does go a long way.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by VeruskaRai

I have been wanting to try the ambient lighting powder for some time but I could never choose the one I wanted, so this was a perfect palette for me. The truth is that it's a total letdown. It's just a very subtle glow, like someone below me said, not really a highlighting powder. It really doesn't show up very well and it's too expensive to just keep in my junk beauty drawer so I'm returning it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by emilydoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I returned this because it didn't give me the highlight that I desire. It gives you a subtle... something, but it's not really a highlight. So if you're looking for something to really illuminate your cheeks, this is probably not the right product. But the quality is amazing. The powder is very very smooth and finely milled.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Guinnessgirl50

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I use every one of these powders and love the quality of each. Dim is an amazing all-over finishing powder for my fair, aging skin that appreciates the slight blurring effect. Luminous is my only favored highlighter, as it is subtle and doesn't emphasize the fine lines. Radiant is too warm for a winter bronzer or contour for me but worked great as blush/ bronzer in summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues to provide a subtle nude blush in winter. It has a pink tinge that I much prefer to more orange-skewing bronzers.

I will likely use up Dim first and will absolutely repurchase, as it's really exceptional and the one "must have" of the palette.

My only complaint about the palette is minor: I find the pan sizes to be too small to accommodate most of my powder brushes without dipping into the neighboring pans. Not a deal breaker, but it does make it less convenient than individual compacts would be.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've had this palette since November of last year and I just haven't got as much use out of it as I would've liked for how expensive this is.

Dim Light is just a bit too dark for my skin for an all over powder. My sister who is a shade or two darker than me loves this shade and can use it all over her face. Because I'm trying to find a use for this I've decided to use it as sort of a blending agent for my contouring under my cheekbones. I also run this around the perimeter of my forehead, which sounds odd, but my forehead is pretty big so I like to try to slim it down using contouring. This shade doesn't really do a whole lot for me.

Incandescent Light is a nice highlight. It's nothing special though in comparison to the other highlighters I own. I have a lot of highlighters, so maybe someone with a smaller collection would appreciate this more!

Radiant Light is a light shimmery bronzer. At least that's what I use it for. I'm not too wowed by this either because I'm not really one for shimmery bronzer in general.

I think when I purchased this I really wanted to see what the hype was about so I figured the best way to see was to get one palette with three shades to try. Well, I purchased Diffused Light right after this and I absolutely love it. I'm almost out and will definitely be repurchasing that shade. I think it's best to really know your skin and what you really use before you pay this much for something. Yes, it is a good deal, however keep in mind it isn't for everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by AmbyBambi88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

After I first saw this online I knew I had to have it, it seemed so wonderful and luxurious.
I am very pale, and I find this wonderful.
On days I wear no makeup I use this lightly to contour and highlight, and on days I am wearing a full face I apply my normal contouring and then the palette over the top.
I am left with such a flawless finish on my face, sheen and dim where you want it.
Just using the palette makes you feel good!

While I think the packaging is great I left a lippy off because I would have preferred it to be metal for longevity.