July 24, 2014 | 1836 users online

Palettes - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Palette

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by PeacefulSeraph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After reading all the positive reviews on the web, I bit the bullet and bought this product. I wanted to love it, as it was highly coveted by other sephora and MUA members... but my feelings for it were just lukewarm. The lightest color wasn't light enough on my skin- it just blended in. The medium color was too dark and yellow to be of any use- least of all to lowlight areas! The only color I'm able to use is the darkest because it's working as a light bronzer. I'm not even very happy with the results as they do not last all day like my tarte waterproof bronzer does nor look as natural as my guerlain bronzer for blondes does. If it wasn't so expensive I'd just hand it over to one of my tanner friends (who don't wear a lot of makeup)- but instead I'll probably give it to my mom who asked me for it- even though her skin is only 1-2 shades darker than mine, and the product won't show up on her either.

NOTE: If you're porcelain skinned, and 98% of foundation colors are too dark for you- do NOT buy this palette! Sorry, but seriously, it's just not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 7:53:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Way back in the fall or winter, when Sephora had a 20% off VIB offer, I tried to buy this palette but it was sold out and I was disappointed. I was really on the fence about these Ambient Light Powders....were they really worth the price or was it a case of "the Emperor has no clothes" - a pricey gimmick that everyone was raving about because they'd dropped such a bundle on them that they felt they had to praise them. Of course, the reviews here on MUA (which I pretty much trust) were not a lot of help since they were so divergent, going from "pricey let-down" to "best powder EVER". Add to this the fact that I wasn't really sure (nor could I really tell "in-store" because of the lighting) which shade would be most useful to me AND I wasn't willing to splash out over $150 to get the 3 that I was most interested in, and there was my dilemma. I wanted a way to try several of these powders in a less costly way and the palette seemed the best idea but it sold out and it was LE so I gave up on these and found many new makeup distractions....

Lo' and behold, Hourglass then decided to make these permanent so I got this palette a few weeks ago and I'm really very pleased with it. All 3 shades work well for my skin tone. All 3 impart a very nice, flattering but subtle sheen or brightness quickly and easily, especially compared to liquid options like MAC Strobe cream, etc. The shade I like best is, of course, the one that is only available in this palette (Incandescent) - Hourglass would do well to release this as an individual powder. I really like to use it to set my Clarins under-eye concealer - it gives more staying power in warm weather and also helps with the "concealing" effect. Additionally, the shade I like the best from the regular sized powders and which I would love to try (and will probably purchase as a single) - the colour Ethereal - isn't included in this palette. But this is a great value and a great way to get an assortment of these powders without breaking the bank. Certainly, these aren't life-changing or "can't live without" products but they are darned nice to have.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette is possibly the most decadent, over the top, unnecessary make up product in all of my make up collection, but since everybody and their mother seems to be talking about these right now I felt compelled to go and buy it.
I know that a lot of people love the powders and the blushes but from most of the reviews I read a lot of people suggested buying this palette first to get an idea of what to expect, so I did exactly that. You get three beautiful shades called Dim Light, Incandescent Light (limited edition) & Radiant Light.
At first, like most others, I assumed this to be a highlighter palette, but it is in fact finishing powders designed to enhance and flatter your skin. The 'healthy glow effect' if you will. I was a little bit scared when I first found out they were finishing powders, I like dewy glowy skin as much as the next person but the sheer amount of shimmer in them made me feel a little like I was going to look as though I'd been smacked in the face with glitter. I could not be more wrong though.
Pretty much what they are designed to do is bring the life back into the face after you've done all your make up. They are not setting powders; seeing as setting powders are mostly designed to mattify and keep the make up in place. They simply finish the face to give you a subtle glow that sometimes we take away by using matte products all the time.
Anyway, the shades themselves are as follows:
. Dim Light- This is a very neutral toned pale beige shade, with very pale subtle satiny sheen. When applied to the skin, in neither darkened nor lightened my face at all, hence the neutral tone making it almost translucent. It just gives you a little bit of 'health' back into the face, it is also the least shimmery of the three in the palette.
. Incandescent Light- Again a very pale beige ivory shade with white shimmer running through it, and very neutral toned once again. This is probably the only shade in the palette designed to be placed on the high points of the face like cheekbones, nose bridge and cupids bow. Its pearlescent shimmer makes it one of the prettiest highlighters I own.
. Radiant Light- This is a peachy orange shade that looks a little like it could be a very pale bronzer for a fair person like me but it is still a finishing powder. It a light to medium tone, so for fair skinned people this will make you look a bit warmer, because again it blends out so it doesn't make you look orange or anything like that. I actually find this accompanies a bronzer very well though, it makes it look more glowy and sheeny and beautiful.
The main reason why I say this palette is 'decadent' is because you don't need a finishing powder, although it has changed my make up dramatically, its not necessary for use every day. Plus it is ridiculously expensive, if I were on a budget this would be the first thing I'd cut out, but on the flip side the quality is unreal. The powders are so soft and delicate to the touch and you don't need a lot of the product so it should last you a good while, seeing as you don't need to pack it on to make a difference.
Overall, I love it. It gives a gorgeous glow and people have commented that my skin looks healthier and radiant on more than one occasion which makes me feel good about having spent the money on it. Would most definitely recommend, not sure if I'd be able to afford repurchase all the time but I probably will be buying more from the line.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by justinetindall

Amazing powders, thought this palette is a total RIP OFF for the amount you get. There's only 3.3 grams in the whole thing! At $67, I would expect to get at least the typical 8-12g amount.
Anywhoo, face looks flawless, love how lux it makes my skin look. Soft, matte, and luminous all at the same time. Works great with my combo-oily skin. Stays all day.
I would only buy the full product of Dim once I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

Hourglass ambient powders are superb; but they are subtle. That is part of what makes them so special. As a whole they provide, depending upon their color, sheer highlight or sheer shading for your face. This palette gives the buyer an opportunity to try more than one shade for a lesser price than buying three separate shades. In this palette there is a very sheer (non shimmery) highlighter, a brightening powder and an overall dusting shade (dim light). All three are gorgeous. (Although I admit I most love the Diffused Light powder which is not included in this trio...)

If you have been wanting to try these powders this is the way to do it. I will echo the sentiments of another reviewer who said that it's not like you HAVE to have these powders. They do not particularly mattify the skin or conceal but more diffuse light reflecting off of the complexion, making the skin look more "air brushed."

I, too, await the next "big" thing from Hourglass. I also love their ambient blushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by xajaso

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was wary about buying this palette for months. I read dozens of reviews. It is semi-expensive, and as a really pale (NC15) neutrally-complected gal with zero bronzer needs or skills, I was not sure how much I'd actually use it. SO GLAD I FINALLY BOUGHT THIS; HOLY GRAIL STATUS.

I use the darker shade to contour and as other reviewers have mentioned, it works beautifully with no glitter or weird oxidization. The middle shade gives a lovely burnished blend, and the lightest is a subtle, lovely highlight for cheekbones, inner eye corners, and Cupid's bows. I am 46 years-old and have no desire to use glittery makeup, draw attention to flaws, or look oily or obvious in any way. This applies so smoothly and softly it is truly akin to a high-end luxury item. I never go wrong with it. I have used the shades on my eyes, neck, collarbones, and on my décolleté. Always delicate and pretty without looking like I'm headed to the club.

I can't recommend this palette enough. There is an intangible sheen that we ladies have when we are young and though it fades slowly, it does fade. No amount of dermatology procedures, peels, facials, sunscreen, or expensive moisturizers can preserve the glow a 16- to 34- year old wears naturally. The lightest shade here gives me the closest possible result to achieving my lost gleam. The powders all photograph nicely as well, no shiny shocker selfies to embarrass later on. It is a great contour/highlight product, even for PPP girls like me. It is so blendable and soft I can do a blush over top without looking like a clown. If you want to have some color, but look polished, together, and natural, this is a key palette to have.

The only problem with this product is that you will likely feel compelled, as I do, to go and purchase ambient lighting powders and the marvelous ambient blushes in every shade they make. I look forward to seeing what Hourglass comes up with next.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 6:02:00 PM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love ambient light powders and blushes. I generally use Dim Infusion blush and Diffused Light powder daily and couldn't pass this up after I fell in love with those two products. I wear NC20 in Mac, Fiji in Nars, Fresco in Estee Lauder DW, 4 or 4.5 in Armani Luminous Silk, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, Warm Ivory in Dermablend Cover Cream. On my skin Diffused (not in this palette) basically evens out any redness on my skin still visible and works as a great finishing powder. These 3 powders are the same for finishing but do different things. Dim Light works similarly to Diffused but is a bit warmer, so it's almost like Dim is my summer powder and Diffused is my winter powder. Incandescent light is only found in this palette and it could be used as a highlighter if you were fair, and to brighten you up otherwise. Radiant is the darkest of the 4 powders that I have and I have started using it for light contouring instead of using Hoola bronzer.

I think a lot of bad reviews stem from the fact that if you use these powders right you won't actually see them. Instead you'll see great skin. Sometimes when I wear new makeup I get asked "Where did you get that blush?" etc but with these powders I get told "I want your skin!" or asked if I had a facial recently.

I like to use my foundation, conceal if necessary, then use Radiant to contour, Incandescent to highlight, and Dim (or diffused) all over to finish. I love the Ambient Light brush that they sell separately because it's crazy soft, fits well, and if I use it from it's long or wide ends I can really control where the powder goes. It's great for a daytime light highlight/contour and makes a GREAT finishing powder. My makeup lasts until I take it off.

1 lippie off for price because if you do the math, the value isn't all that great, but there is the exclusive shade here. 1 lippie off for package- I wish it could hold the brush for on the go.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by sase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Appearance: The product comes in a sleek plastic metallic brown case. There is a mirror on the inside. The palette contains three different powders. Dim light, Incandescent light, Radiant light. Dim is more of a sheen while the other two contain visible shimmer.

Cost: This cost $58.00 at Sephora. You get 0.1oz in each of the three shades.

Wearability: For reference I am Korean with fair skin and heavy yellow undertones. The trick to this palette is finding out what you want it to do for your skin. For me I like using Dim as an all over setting powder. The incandescent light is perfect for highlighting my cheeks. I use the radiant light lightly over my cheekbones or near my hairline. The shimmer in these while visible in the palette blends beautifully into my skin. The texture of these of so soft applies wonderfully.

Overall thoughts: While this palette was on the expensive side I think that it was worth it. I think that I'll end up purchasing a separate Dim light compact since I use that one as an all over powder. The overall effect it has on making my skin appear flawless is definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2014 3:07:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

The one reviewer gave a great description of the product but I'm going to take this a little different for us gals a bit older and a little more afraid of too much shimmer. I've been wanting to try the Dim light powder as the color and effect appealed to me. But at $45 I kept balking. Then I came across this beauty on Sephora and getting 3 for $59 especially with the one color only being available in the pallet sold me. I think this product is the bomb for mature skin and gives radiance without making you look like a disco ball.

The pallet is long a beautiful brown metallic in look and very sturdy. The product itself is small but you do not need to use a lot and unless you are covering your body in this it should last quite a while the colors are:

Dim light - a beige non shimmer that I won't say mattifies because would indicate the look is flat it's not. It's a VERY subtle illumination of the skin. I use it after makeup and even take it down into my decolletage if I want something subtle. The only skin tone that might have a little trouble with this is olive but then again I think it depends on the individual.

Incandescent - a subtle shimmer and the brightest of the 3. It doesn't show up white on me but a creamy slightly shimmer. I use it under my eyes around my hairline in my cupids bow or under my lower lip. I've also use this in my decolletage for a little punch. This is not chunky glitter but more of a bright glow. This shade is exclusive to the pallet only.

Radiant - a peachy warm toned shimmer. I love it on my neutral skin over my blush and in my hair line. This one I will probably use the least but I'm experimenting still. Again the shimmer is so subtle mature skin can use it without feeling like they've overdone the shimmer

I love this pallet and glad I decided to try the hour glass products this way. If the pallet is available when I need a refill I will repurchase it. If not I will probably purchase Dim light only. I agree with the other reviewer it's not necessarily a must have however if you are looking for a highlighter the 3 of these if you split them down are about the cost of a regular good highlighter and you will not need to use much to get the desired effect.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2014 2:21:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This cost me an arm and a leg because by the time I found it, it was nearly impossible to find, so naturally, the price was ridiculous... In any case, it was my first opportunity to try the ambient lighting powders and the hype is worth the hype. They apply really smoothly, not cakey at all, with a lovely sheen that is natural and provides nice coverage. I use the darkest colour in this palette to set my foundation and it looks really lovely and I look very 'healthy' and 'glowy' without shininess. I use the lighter colours as a highlight on my cheeks and nose and the product lasts very well throughout the day. Very expensive, and was a good way of sampling multiple colours; if you can get your hands on this somehow, you won't be disappointed.