Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

4.4

on 3/28/2015 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is one product I use everyday in some way. I would repurchase the palette again, but would 100% repurchase Dim and Radiant light in the single when I run out. Since Incandescent light is exclusive to the palette I would probably go with Luminous Light. Dim light has been my go to finishing powder. I use my It Cosmetics Stippling Brush which is quite big and when I'm done with all my makeup I lightly sweep this over my entire face. It blurs my pores and fine lines and gives a lovely glow. I apply radiant light with a big powder brush on top of my bronzer and it adds a hint of warmth but again gives you a natural sun kissed glow. Incandescent Light is a lovely highlight for a natural everyday look IMO. I think this is worth every penny and I'm curious to try more colors.

I am in love with this! At first I thought it was verrrry pricey, but then I thought, well you get 3 colors and the pans are raised/rounded. I feel like they will last me a long time. It took a lot of time for me to cave and actually purchase this palette but I absolutely love it. The dim light is so gorgeous on top of your cheekbones or on your forehead/ all over. The incandescent light is an amazing highlighter shade for cheek bones or brow bone. And radiant light gives such a nice glow to the cheeks. A lit from within look as they say. If you want a truly natural glow, get this pallet. It's so versatile. Very happy with my purchase

on 3/2/2015 3:07:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This palette looks mighty scary in the pan, to me anyway, i never use shimmery powder since i have got an oily tzone, and the pan looks too shimmery to me.
My girlfriends assured its not shimmery and once it go on the skin, they are so right.
This powder is nothing I have seen before in a setting powder, it imparts a glow, not shimmery but light reflecting, healthy glow.
I still set my foundation with translucent powder first then a light dust with a mix of dim light and iredesent light (the one in the middle). It instantly blurs things out, i don't know how to describe it but its probably the nicest looking powder i have come crossed.
Even after a full day at work, i don't look greasy, its glowy!
Its super fine milled, the darkest shade works like a light bronzer for me which i love.
definitely will buy the full size if i ever run out, really great product.

on 2/7/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love it! No animal testing (thankyou Hourglass as this has started to be a dealbreaker for me) and all three colours in the palette are purrrfect! I purchased it with a Christmas voucher and if I could walk around with a handmirror to admire myself - I would! But don't/can't. I use the Radiant Light ( hope I'm reading the names underneath in the correct order) lightly over my foundation with a big powder brush which wipes a few years off, then the middle one Incandescent across my eyelids with a fat eyeshadow brush and top of my cheekbones and cupid's bow then the Dim Light as a contour using a buffing brush. Takes 2 minutes, looks amazing and lasts all day. Someone at work actually said " what have you done? you look good" ( thanks I think!). I'm delighted! My skin colour is basic beige ( Chanel #30 usually during our Aussie summer), combination - oh forgot to say I'm not shining at lunchtime either now but I did reapply one night when I got home just to see it caked/got heavy/looked dreadful and it didn't. Its FABULOUS!

on 1/25/2015 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hesitance and lemming all at the same time.

I have wanted this palette for ages, due to 'Radiant Light' and 'Incandescent Light' being in the palette. Moreso, I did not want to spill $52 CAD for a large Radiant Light that I would likely never finish.

However, why was I hesitant? A. The price, and B. Dim light. That powder that I did not hit off with when I purchased a fullsize during the VIB 20% sale due to the hype.

I am NC15 for reference. With dry skin. My everyday powder all over (due to not needing a setting powder) is HG Ethereal or Diffused light. I lay these other three powders over as 'finishing powders' or face colors. Those with oilier skins may need a setting powder as these do not control oil.

After playing around, I realized that this palette was a perfect 'subtle enough for work, yet beautiful for everyday and photos etc' depending on how much I layered it. For my personal daily use, I wear a sheer layer of each.

Dim light: darker than my skintone, beigey peach powder. This served for me as a contour (oh my.) It's subtle and wouldn't work for those with darker skintones in this purpose, but I love it under the cheekbones for a subtle color. It's the only way I can use this shade. All over my face, it alters the colour of my foundation, and on my cheeks, it goes on patchy and has the color of a terrible patchy brown-pink tone.

Incandescent light: A subtle highlight that has more sheen than Ethereal Light or Diffused Light. I would only use this on high peaks of the face, ( as I have not tried it allover yet and do not plan on doing so.)

Radiant light: The one I was looking most forward to, which others found curious why. This is a perfect bronzer. Light, and slight sheen, it is rather orange, which was precisely what I wanted it for. Due to it's formulation, and with use of brushes that lend itself for light application, I love this atop my cheeks as a bronzer. ( I do not use this for contouring. ) This is my favourite of the palette which makes me happy.

To be honest, I do not think this is necessary in anyone's stash. We've all got highlighters, powders, bronzers, etc. If you're able to set aside some cash for this, I'd suggest trying it if you had your eye on them. I know the price is not exactly reasonable at $67 CAD. It's not necessary, but I do love it. :)

on 1/1/2015 1:45:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This palette was my first Hourglass purchase and despite using this several different ways, I just don't love it. Fortunately I purchased this using a %-off promo so I didn't pay full price, but it was still pretty expensive.

The first couple times I used this palette, it made my skin look chalky. I wasn't sure if it was my dry winter skin, my foundation choice, or this palette, so I tried again. Then, I noticed my face looked orange. I used a cotton pad and wiped my face and it was covered in orange powder. I think Dim was the culprit because I use mostly Dim and Incandescent, although I don't know if it applies orange, or oxidized on my skin. I used Dim all over my face as a setting powder, but after I realized it was making me orange I mixed it with the center shade, Incandescent, which seemed to help.

Incandescent is my favorite of the three shades, and it can be used as a highlighter all over the face, including under the browbone. It's not my favorite highlighter though because it's much too subtle. Radiant is considered the contouring shade of the three but I find it leans too orange for me. I like the contouring shade in the Charlotte Tillbury duo much better. In fact, the CT duo spoiled me because the shades suit my complexion much better and deliver better results.

I was expecting this palette to wow me but I didn't. I bought it because people were raving about how it made their skin look luminous and perfect but I didn't notice the blurring effect of Dim (just that it made my face orange), didn't think that Incandescent showed up unless applied with a heavy hand (too easy to overapply) and I just didn't like Radiant (too orange but also too subtle, seemed to disappear from my skin). The CT duo doesn't contain an all over setting/blurring powder like this palette does, but I think it does contouring and highlighting much better so I would pick it hands down over this HG palette, which leans much too warm/orange for me. For reference, I'm NC 25-30ish.

on 12/24/2014 2:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I simply love this palette. I have used the individual colors as a wash of color for my lids. When I use it on my face, I sweep my brush over all three colors and lightly dust all over my face. The color is luminous, blends like a dream and lasts most of the work day. Thumbs up all the way!

on 12/16/2014 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This compact is just amazeballs. I use Dim all over my face after foundation with either a fluffy synthetic face brush or a fan brush, then use Incandescent to set my under eye concealer and highlight the tops of my cheeks. I don't use the third color so much (can't even remember the name) because my skin is rather yellow (nc25) and it turns slightly orange on my skin. However, it's not altogether unflattering and does really well in a pinch to add color and life to a face that is tired (or hungover).

I have used this compact every day for the last two months and just started to hit pan in the Dim color. The fabulousness of this product is in its subtlety. No matter what foundation you use or you just want to put it on bare skin, you will have an air brushed finish. It's your skin...but better. The blurring effect people are talking about is definitely real.

I will 100% buy the Dim color in its own compact when I run out of the one in the trio. My only gripe about Hourglass is that they don't make Incandescent in its own compact. It is a great way to set concealer or all over foundation if you're fair. The texture of the powder is like silk and doesn't dry my already dry under eye area. Instead of a regular translucent powder, Incandescent just adds a little something extra that is subtly flattering in all kinds of light.

The best thing about Hourglass as a company is that they don't test on animals.

Spread the amazeballs people!

on 11/12/2014 2:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this, and the Ambient Blush palette during the Sephora VIB sale. The price --- very steep. This is probably one of the most expensive makeup products I've ever bought, but I decided to splurge. When I first opened it up, I was a little skeptical. The packaging is plastic; durable, but I feel that for the price, it should be more sturdy. It does collect fingerprints. But, it's pretty and sleek.

The powders themselves don't look like much, even when swatched. HOWEVER, when I tried this on my face... really beautiful. The first color, Dim Light, is what I use all over my face to set my foundation. I use a fluffy blush, and a little goes a long way. Next, I use Luminous Light to highlight (using the same fluffy brush) and it just adds a really pretty glow. If you're looking for a really intense, noticeable highlighter -- this is not it. It seems like people are expecting this to be very intense, but it's not. I also use a bit of this under my eyes to set my concealer. Next, I use Radiant Light as a bronzer of sorts, to sort of warm up my face (under cheekbones, down my nose, around temples) and it adds a lovely warmth to my fair skin, while still looking nice and not muddy, like most bronzers look on me.

This is about the 5th day I've used this stuff, and I can't get over how NICE it makes my skin look. I look so polished. I use it with the Ambient Lighting Blushes, and I think the combo is awesome.

So, like I said: Pricey, but I don't regret buying this stuff for a minute. It really makes my makeup look awesome. If you want to treat yourself, buy this! I feel that with daily use, it will last quite a while because a little really does go a long way.

on 11/4/2014 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been wanting to try the ambient lighting powder for some time but I could never choose the one I wanted, so this was a perfect palette for me. The truth is that it's a total letdown. It's just a very subtle glow, like someone below me said, not really a highlighting powder. It really doesn't show up very well and it's too expensive to just keep in my junk beauty drawer so I'm returning it.