September 21, 2014 | 1832 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - total matteness pore-minimizing & mattifying cleanser + mask

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So far, I'm really liking this stuff. It keeps me significantly less shiny during the day when used as a cleanser in combination with my acne cleanser. Nothing is going to keep me totally shine-free unless I leave it on my face (not the point of a cleanser). It's a thin, grey, goopy, not sticky liquid; it doesn't really foam up, but that's due to the lack of "detergents" in this cleanser, which is a good thing because most cleansing agents like sulfates are comedogenic (which brings me to my next point). This product is also 100% NONCOMEDOGENIC! Yay! For those of us with acne-prone and oily skin, this cleanser/mask is great! When used as a mask, I didn't find it dried me out too bad. I don't think it would be so great as an acne treatment any more than just drying up a pimple. Overall, for the price, I'll have to use this sparingly, but it's pretty great so far.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have all 3 products in the Total Matteness range. The aim of this range of products is to mattify skin and reduce pore size. I do not have oily skin but I have a few enlarged pores around my t-zone. Generally, my skin is easily dehydrated and I only get slightly oily around the T-zone towards the end of the day.

The range consists of a cleanser, a pore refiner which I use like a toner and a pore eraser which I put on after serum. The cleanser is hands down my favourite of the three. I love all of them though!

I usually use the cleanser at night with my Clarisonic. I am not able to use it twice a day as it dries out my skin. At first, I used it twice a day but within 2-3 days my skin started peeling. I'm guessing those with oily skin would be able to use it twice daily.

I marked it down for packaging because the tube can be really hard to open so it may ruin your nails. The cleanser itself is grey, gloopy and doesn't really smell good but the smell has ceased to bother me after some time. The instructions also say to use it as a 3-5 minute mask weekly. Again, I don't do that as I'm afraid that it will dry my skin out. However, it is very convenient for those who are lazy to mask regularly as you can just leave it on in the shower and rinse it out quickly.

I've seen many comments that this range is better for mattifying and I agree. I think this cleanser hasn't done much for my pores but it's helped to reduce my oil production around the T-zone. I am more than happy to give it 5 lipsticks for doing that. You might be wondering..why did I feel that it was the cleanser and not the pore refiner or eraser that reduced my oil production? It's because I got the latter two much earlier and I felt that they were pretty nice but not as great as the cleanser. Of course, if you're thinking of trying only one product from the range, get the cleanser first :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I recently picked this up to take a break from using the usual topical acids to exfoliate and combat my t-zone. I use it 2 a week as a mask and it has worked wonders. The clay glides on like silk and once it drys, just pat on some water on your face and rub. It foams up and has fine bamboo bits to exfoilate! My skin is left refreshed and clean...def worth the $25.