December 19, 2014 | 1449 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - total matteness pore-minimizing & mattifying cleanser + mask

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by shuz2359

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I am already into my 2nd tube of Total Mattness Cleanser! *claps*

Believe to (taken from advertising claims):
be a pore-minimizing & mattifying cleanser and as a mask to absorbs oil and minimizes shine for a totally matte, smooth-touch finish. glacial clay helps unclog enlarged, dark pores. the formula deeply cleanses daily and multitasks as a weekly purifying mask.

How I use this:
As a morning cleanser (which I alternate with other cleansers) as I treat this as a "specialist".
As a mask after my evening cleansing routine to further purify my skin.
Not tried it with any cleasing apparatus (like the clarisonic)

What I like about it is:
It is both a cleanser & a mask which is easy to use (both ways); it does not have an offensive scent; after "masking" I literally feel my face become smoother ("purer" I suppose) . While it is a mud mask and dries up to a form a cracked desert appearance after allowing it to sit on my face for 10-15 mins, it was easily washed out and I could feel the grim, dirt and impurities being pulled from the skin (or perhaps that was my imagination?!).

After-effect was not over drying (where you encounter an overly squeaky effect with a tight sensation), neither was any oil-film formed over the skin. Pores are clean and face tone becomes brighter (doesn't your face appear brighter each time you wash it?)

What I don't like about it:
... I haven't had any reasons to not-like it yet.

Overall:
Well, I guess I am a happy-user of this product because I have a realistic expectation. Pores are pores, and they don't become smaller no matter what any product claims to do and who can we blame for the excess-sebum production apart from our genetic make-up of cell DNA?

For me, I believe that as long as my pores are clean, they look minimised and this product does that - unclogs the pores at a good price. (So I use this more frequently than the highly-sought after glam-glow masks, which I use ever so gently because it is SOO EXP!).

Although my skin still shines and the effects of "oil-control" is minimal, total mattness cleanser did live up to its claim about having a smooth-touch finish, where makeup application really was easier and more matt, at least for the first 2-3 hours.

I will continue to use this because it is worth it's value as a cleanser/mask.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by aprice2017

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love this stuff! One of the few products I have used that claims to control oil, and actually does it.

The pros:
- Feels amazing when you apply it, and my face felt so clean and so smooth after using it.
- I actually could notice that my pores looked smaller, and it actually did do a good job controlling my horribly oily skin without overly drying my face.
- Despite the slightly thick formula, this did not clog my pores or break me out at all. And my skin is fairly sensitive, so that is always a concern for me.

The cons:
- The only reason I docked a star is because of the price. It's about $26 a tube, I believe. And that wouldn't be an issue if it lasted a long time, but it only lasted me a little over a month. And as a broke graduate student, I just don't think I can pay that every month.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So far, I'm really liking this stuff. It keeps me significantly less shiny during the day when used as a cleanser in combination with my acne cleanser. Nothing is going to keep me totally shine-free unless I leave it on my face (not the point of a cleanser). It's a thin, grey, goopy, not sticky liquid; it doesn't really foam up, but that's due to the lack of "detergents" in this cleanser, which is a good thing because most cleansing agents like sulfates are comedogenic (which brings me to my next point). This product is also 100% NONCOMEDOGENIC! Yay! For those of us with acne-prone and oily skin, this cleanser/mask is great! When used as a mask, I didn't find it dried me out too bad. I don't think it would be so great as an acne treatment any more than just drying up a pimple. Overall, for the price, I'll have to use this sparingly, but it's pretty great so far.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have all 3 products in the Total Matteness range. The aim of this range of products is to mattify skin and reduce pore size. I do not have oily skin but I have a few enlarged pores around my t-zone. Generally, my skin is easily dehydrated and I only get slightly oily around the T-zone towards the end of the day.

The range consists of a cleanser, a pore refiner which I use like a toner and a pore eraser which I put on after serum. The cleanser is hands down my favourite of the three. I love all of them though!

I usually use the cleanser at night with my Clarisonic. I am not able to use it twice a day as it dries out my skin. At first, I used it twice a day but within 2-3 days my skin started peeling. I'm guessing those with oily skin would be able to use it twice daily.

I marked it down for packaging because the tube can be really hard to open so it may ruin your nails. The cleanser itself is grey, gloopy and doesn't really smell good but the smell has ceased to bother me after some time. The instructions also say to use it as a 3-5 minute mask weekly. Again, I don't do that as I'm afraid that it will dry my skin out. However, it is very convenient for those who are lazy to mask regularly as you can just leave it on in the shower and rinse it out quickly.

I've seen many comments that this range is better for mattifying and I agree. I think this cleanser hasn't done much for my pores but it's helped to reduce my oil production around the T-zone. I am more than happy to give it 5 lipsticks for doing that. You might be wondering..why did I feel that it was the cleanser and not the pore refiner or eraser that reduced my oil production? It's because I got the latter two much earlier and I felt that they were pretty nice but not as great as the cleanser. Of course, if you're thinking of trying only one product from the range, get the cleanser first :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I recently picked this up to take a break from using the usual topical acids to exfoliate and combat my t-zone. I use it 2 a week as a mask and it has worked wonders. The clay glides on like silk and once it drys, just pat on some water on your face and rub. It foams up and has fine bamboo bits to exfoilate! My skin is left refreshed and clean...def worth the $25.