L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

In Australia, L'Oreal mascaras are expensive (in comparison to other brands of the same calibre), but I decided to buy it anyway for about $25. The wand is absolutely fantastic- it really does fan out and lift your lashes!! The formula itself hasn't clumped on me (yet) but I noticed it flaked slightly under my eyes at the end of the day.

on 7/27/2015 6:22:00 AM

I was a fan of the voluminous million lashes but this is that x10! I love how the wand is designed, helping me get the outer lashes at the same time as the rest. I often have trouble getting them all even with a traditional brush. I don't mind turning my hand around like some others do. This wand even gets the bottom lashes great with the shorter, medium length and long bristles. I don't have any fallout unless I fall asleep with it on. I pray they never discontinue this bad boy cuz I am in love!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My new TOTALLY scientific method for choosing a mascara: choose a word that best encapsulates the characteristic that you want out of one and then choose the product that has the most similar letters in the product name. I tested this theory once and achieved a 100% success rate, BTW.

In my case, the chosen word was "fluttery" and wouldn't you know it, 100% of the letters ALSO appear in "L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly"! Butterfly...fluttery. Fluttery like a butterfly.

Yup, you just know that's gonna be a good match.

And that is how I finally decided to pick up this little ol' thing that I'd been eyeballing for months. The only reason it took so long to finally take the plunge is because I'd take one look at the brush head in the package and get scared and put it back on the shelf. Also, I was still working on a deluxe sample of Lanc˘me's Hypn˘se Drama, so the timing wasn't right.

Anyway, getting to the point. Turns out that I was wasting my time with all the other mascaras I've tried. This one does everything I've ever wanted in a mascara (non-waterproof formula, BTW). Doesn't clump. Doesn't smear. Holds up all day, even through runs where I get "dewy". Washes off easily. Those are the basics.

Aesthetically, this is a champ. Turns out that the brush head that looked so terrifying in the package does the best job of anything ever in the history of the world in terms of creating exactly what I'd been looking for all along. Yup, perfectly fluttery lashes. Butterfly lashes!

The brush has multiple sides to it, including one that combs/lifts your outer lashes so that they're sort of sideswept. I'm not quite sure how to properly describe the effect, but it draws them out so that your lashes extend past the outer corners of your eyes, so your eyes actually look wider. No other mascara I've tried has done anything quite like it. For me, that's the perfect effect since I don't exactly have the widest eyes.

The other notable effect I achieved with this stuff is making it look like I have more lashes than I actually do. The key thing is that the volumizing effects were achieved not by clumping or from a thick coating of product, but through separation and definition. The comb does an amazing job of that and the end effect is "feathery" rather than heavy-handed, as other mascara products sometimes tend to be. It's a different way of achieving volume and I vastly prefer the outcome.

It's also the first mascara I've ever been able to use on my otherwise non-existent lower lashes. Normally I don't even bother since it's just about impossible to apply mascara to next-to-nothingness, but the short side of the brush tackled that too, and somehow managed to coat what looked like "air", though apparently what I'd thought was "air" all along turned out to be microscopic lashes that can be made visible to the naked eye with with product applied. I don't know how I feel about that aspect of the overall look though, as I'm so unused to having lower lashes. But, it's nice to know there's at least one product that can handle them.

In sum, this is a 5/5 product for me, no reservations. I will repurchase unless something better comes my way or my eyes fall out. Or, I might try the other version of this stuff. But yeah, much love.

on 6/27/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is actually a really good mascara

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Totally amazing

on 6/19/2015 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Yes, I gave it a 3. Yes, I would purchase it again. Let me explain.

I have many lashes, which is a blessing. However, it does make them difficult to separate. Even though this has the rubber brush, which I have found is usually better for separation than a traditional brush, this one separates only decently. And even though it's in L'Oreal's Voluminous line, I see way more length, not volume.

However. What makes me want to buy this again is the staying power. Yesterday, I went to the rally to honor the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2015 Stanley Cup Champions. The rally was amazing, but getting in and getting out were a nightmare. I was standing in a complete gridlock, shoulder-to-shoulder, for over an hour each way. It was over 80 degrees with plenty of humidity, and I wasn't getting any air because I was shorter than all the men.

This mascara did not flake and it did not smudge, even in those conditions. I was amazed. Most non-waterproof mascaras smudge on me, and this held up. (No, I do not want to switch to waterproof.) So, even though this mascara is just OK, I may have to pick it up again until I can find that holy grail...

on 6/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

This one did nothing for my short straight lashes. In one coat I dare to say it made my lashes look worse than they do on their own, since it uncurled them. Second coat (and I never do second coats, since I prefer a more natural look, but here I felt like I had to) dramatically increased volume, but it right away became spider leg territory when I tried to comb though clumped lashes. And this thing starts flaking immediately! Scent doesn't bother me. Comb is awkward and gimmicky, I poked myself in the eye and pretty much got mascara all over my face. This thing needs a manual. I didn't like the tube, it's the cheap kind of shiny. But wouldn't care if the formula were better. Washed off easily, so that's nice. Maybe it gets better once it dries up a bit? I might try a few more times, but I don't have high hopes.

on 6/11/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This was not an obvious choice for me to try, as I haven't had much luck with these unique brushes. However, WOWZA. I caught a glimpse of my eyes in the rear view mirror yesterday, and I couldn't believe how good this stuff looked. My lashes looked so lush and feminine, and even my eyeliner looked flawlessly applied (which it wasn't). Not appreciably thicker, but so feathery! It lifts the outer corners of my lashes, seems to make new lashes appear, and most unusually, coats the base of my lashes better than any mascara I've ever tried without weighing them down. And I hate to say it, as a long-time "naturalist", but the deep, deep brown/black is insanely flattering, for some reason. Yes, it doesn't look like my natural lash color, but it is so pretty, I don't care.

Update: so sad, but this is not aging well, the formula is getting kind of lumpy and harder to apply, and it's coming off a bit during the day.

on 5/19/2015 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I'm so torn on this mascara. It's amazing for length and volume. It makes my lashes really long and it decently gives volume. It gives a sort of spidery look(in a good way). It clumps a little too. I get compliments on my lashes with this. What totally threw me for a loop was that it flakes under my eyes after a couple hours and the formula is too wet for my liking. If someone has a mascara that basically does the same as this but has a better formula, please message me :(

on 5/18/2015 6:07:00 PM

This is one of MY favourite mascaras but its probably not for everybody. I love the length and curl I get from this, so-so volume, its a wee bit clumpy but I actually enjoy a bit of a spidery look. So I guess it depends what kind of look youre going for. This doesnt flake or smudge for me. The only turn off for me is the weird smell? A bit of a weird plastic/expired makeup kind of smell, even when its brand new

Video Reviews & Tutorials