L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

on 8/30/2015 1:31:00 AM

I was in serious looking for a new mascara. I was deciding between this one or Maybelline sensational mascara. I decided because I tend to like the formulas of L'Oreal products better to pick this one. The only thing that I was disappointed I was that I didn't pay attention to the plastic bristle brush. I normally like natural bristled mascara brushes. Upon using this mascara I dislike this brush even more when I noticed that is collected too much product. My lashes were coated with it so much so that they were clumping together. I am going to use it because there was no flaking and my lashes weren't crunchy but I decided to use one of the disposable mascara brushes that I got from the drugstore instead of the one that came with. my eyelashes are feathered and separated with a natural bristle brush. so for the formula alone I like this mascara.

on 8/17/2015 1:44:00 PM

This is a review for the Midnight version, not available everywhere (I got mine at Target and I've seen it at CVS)-

I'm not sure about this mascara. The brush is multi-sided so you can actually use whichever side is the most convenient for your application (you aren't forced to use the curved side, for example). Though this is a bristle brush, the effect is a little more like a comb mascara that creates really good definition. The volume side is trickier- the combing effect of the mascara and the way the brush is made makes it very easy to coat all of your lashes, even the very small ones which gives the effect of plentiful lashes. It's not quite a fan-effect, but it looks quite good with two coats. The formula isn't too wet but it dries rock hard on the lashes- when you touch your mascara later in the day, it feels like cement. It's not a waterproof formula so it does come off readily, but I'm always a little ambivalent about crispy lashes. Give it a try...it is worth a try and I don't hesitate to reach for it for certain looks.

I'm usually a big fan of Maybelline mascaras, but I don't love this one. It looked nice for the first two or three weeks, but it dried out really quickly. Then it would look clumpy upon application and flaked under my eyes--not a great look. On top of that, the stopper part that removes the excess product on the want disconnected from the bottle. There was still quite a bit of product left at that point, and while I could reposition it and still use the mascara, it was messy and just not something I should have to do. Could have been a defect, but there's other mascaras in Maybelline's line that are more functional. I found Maybelline's great lashes lots of lashes to be a similar product; the brush is a cone shape, so it offers that same fanned out, fluttery kind of look.
Overall, if you like mascara with a dryer formula, try this out. If not, there are plenty of other options out there.

In Australia, L'Oreal mascaras are expensive (in comparison to other brands of the same calibre), but I decided to buy it anyway for about $25. The wand is absolutely fantastic- it really does fan out and lift your lashes!! The formula itself hasn't clumped on me (yet) but I noticed it flakes A LOT by the end of the day :(

on 7/27/2015 6:22:00 AM

I was a fan of the voluminous million lashes but this is that x10! I love how the wand is designed, helping me get the outer lashes at the same time as the rest. I often have trouble getting them all even with a traditional brush. I don't mind turning my hand around like some others do. This wand even gets the bottom lashes great with the shorter, medium length and long bristles. I don't have any fallout unless I fall asleep with it on. I pray they never discontinue this bad boy cuz I am in love!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My new TOTALLY scientific method for choosing a mascara: choose a word that best encapsulates the characteristic that you want out of one and then choose the product that has the most similar letters in the product name. I tested this theory once and achieved a 100% success rate, BTW.

In my case, the chosen word was "fluttery" and wouldn't you know it, 100% of the letters ALSO appear in "L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly"! Butterfly...fluttery. Fluttery like a butterfly.

Yup, you just know that's gonna be a good match.

And that is how I finally decided to pick up this little ol' thing that I'd been eyeballing for months. The only reason it took so long to finally take the plunge is because I'd take one look at the brush head in the package and get scared and put it back on the shelf. Also, I was still working on a deluxe sample of Lanc˘me's Hypn˘se Drama, so the timing wasn't right.

Anyway, getting to the point. Turns out that I was wasting my time with all the other mascaras I've tried. This one does everything I've ever wanted in a mascara (non-waterproof formula, BTW). Doesn't clump. Doesn't smear. Holds up all day, even through runs where I get "dewy". Washes off easily. Those are the basics.

Aesthetically, this is a champ. Turns out that the brush head that looked so terrifying in the package does the best job of anything ever in the history of the world in terms of creating exactly what I'd been looking for all along. Yup, perfectly fluttery lashes. Butterfly lashes!

The brush has multiple sides to it, including one that combs/lifts your outer lashes so that they're sort of sideswept. I'm not quite sure how to properly describe the effect, but it draws them out so that your lashes extend past the outer corners of your eyes, so your eyes actually look wider. No other mascara I've tried has done anything quite like it. For me, that's the perfect effect since I don't exactly have the widest eyes.

The other notable effect I achieved with this stuff is making it look like I have more lashes than I actually do. The key thing is that the volumizing effects were achieved not by clumping or from a thick coating of product, but through separation and definition. The comb does an amazing job of that and the end effect is "feathery" rather than heavy-handed, as other mascara products sometimes tend to be. It's a different way of achieving volume and I vastly prefer the outcome.

It's also the first mascara I've ever been able to use on my otherwise non-existent lower lashes. Normally I don't even bother since it's just about impossible to apply mascara to next-to-nothingness, but the short side of the brush tackled that too, and somehow managed to coat what looked like "air", though apparently what I'd thought was "air" all along turned out to be microscopic lashes that can be made visible to the naked eye with with product applied. I don't know how I feel about that aspect of the overall look though, as I'm so unused to having lower lashes. But, it's nice to know there's at least one product that can handle them.

In sum, this is a 5/5 product for me, no reservations. I will repurchase unless something better comes my way or my eyes fall out. Or, I might try the other version of this stuff. But yeah, much love.

EDIT 8.05.2015: Two plus weeks into using this and still have just as much mad love and feel no need to look for another mascara at this point. Applying mascara used to be a somewhat perfunctory part of my routine; I now consider it the funnest part besides slapping on lipstick. I'm never gonna have MAD DRAMA EYES! with this stuff but that's not a look that works for me anyway.

on 6/27/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is actually a really good mascara

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Totally amazing

on 6/19/2015 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Yes, I gave it a 3. Yes, I would purchase it again. Let me explain.

I have many lashes, which is a blessing. However, it does make them difficult to separate. Even though this has the rubber brush, which I have found is usually better for separation than a traditional brush, this one separates only decently. And even though it's in L'Oreal's Voluminous line, I see way more length, not volume.

However. What makes me want to buy this again is the staying power. Yesterday, I went to the rally to honor the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2015 Stanley Cup Champions. The rally was amazing, but getting in and getting out were a nightmare. I was standing in a complete gridlock, shoulder-to-shoulder, for over an hour each way. It was over 80 degrees with plenty of humidity, and I wasn't getting any air because I was shorter than all the men.

This mascara did not flake and it did not smudge, even in those conditions. I was amazed. Most non-waterproof mascaras smudge on me, and this held up. (No, I do not want to switch to waterproof.) So, even though this mascara is just OK, I may have to pick it up again until I can find that holy grail...

on 6/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

This one did nothing for my short straight lashes. In one coat I dare to say it made my lashes look worse than they do on their own, since it uncurled them. Second coat (and I never do second coats, since I prefer a more natural look, but here I felt like I had to) dramatically increased volume, but it right away became spider leg territory when I tried to comb though clumped lashes. And this thing starts flaking immediately! Scent doesn't bother me. Comb is awkward and gimmicky, I poked myself in the eye and pretty much got mascara all over my face. This thing needs a manual. I didn't like the tube, it's the cheap kind of shiny. But wouldn't care if the formula were better. Washed off easily, so that's nice. Maybe it gets better once it dries up a bit? I might try a few more times, but I don't have high hopes.

Video Reviews & Tutorials