L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

on 6/27/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is actually a really good mascara

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Totally amazing

on 6/19/2015 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Yes, I gave it a 3. Yes, I would purchase it again. Let me explain.

I have many lashes, which is a blessing. However, it does make them difficult to separate. Even though this has the rubber brush, which I have found is usually better for separation than a traditional brush, this one separates only decently. And even though it's in L'Oreal's Voluminous line, I see way more length, not volume.

However. What makes me want to buy this again is the staying power. Yesterday, I went to the rally to honor the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2015 Stanley Cup Champions. The rally was amazing, but getting in and getting out were a nightmare. I was standing in a complete gridlock, shoulder-to-shoulder, for over an hour each way. It was over 80 degrees with plenty of humidity, and I wasn't getting any air because I was shorter than all the men.

This mascara did not flake and it did not smudge, even in those conditions. I was amazed. Most non-waterproof mascaras smudge on me, and this held up. (No, I do not want to switch to waterproof.) So, even though this mascara is just OK, I may have to pick it up again until I can find that holy grail...

on 6/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

This one did nothing for my short straight lashes. In one coat I dare to say it made my lashes look worse than they do on their own, since it uncurled them. Second coat (and I never do second coats, since I prefer a more natural look, but here I felt like I had to) dramatically increased volume, but it right away became spider leg territory when I tried to comb though clumped lashes. And this thing starts flaking immediately! Scent doesn't bother me. Comb is awkward and gimmicky, I poked myself in the eye and pretty much got mascara all over my face. This thing needs a manual. I didn't like the tube, it's the cheap kind of shiny. But wouldn't care if the formula were better. Washed off easily, so that's nice. Maybe it gets better once it dries up a bit? I might try a few more times, but I don't have high hopes.

on 6/11/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This was not an obvious choice for me to try, as I haven't had much luck with these unique brushes. However, WOWZA. I caught a glimpse of my eyes in the rear view mirror yesterday, and I couldn't believe how good this stuff looked. My lashes looked so lush and feminine, and even my eyeliner looked flawlessly applied (which it wasn't). Not appreciably thicker, but so feathery! It lifts the outer corners of my lashes, seems to make new lashes appear, and most unusually, coats the base of my lashes better than any mascara I've ever tried without weighing them down. And I hate to say it, as a long-time "naturalist", but the deep, deep brown/black is insanely flattering, for some reason. Yes, it doesn't look like my natural lash color, but it is so pretty, I don't care.

Update: so sad, but this is not aging well, the formula is getting kind of lumpy and harder to apply, and it's coming off a bit during the day.

on 5/19/2015 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I'm so torn on this mascara. It's amazing for length and volume. It makes my lashes really long and it decently gives volume. It gives a sort of spidery look(in a good way). It clumps a little too. I get compliments on my lashes with this. What totally threw me for a loop was that it flakes under my eyes after a couple hours and the formula is too wet for my liking. If someone has a mascara that basically does the same as this but has a better formula, please message me :(

on 5/18/2015 6:07:00 PM

This is one of MY favourite mascaras but its probably not for everybody. I love the length and curl I get from this, so-so volume, its a wee bit clumpy but I actually enjoy a bit of a spidery look. So I guess it depends what kind of look youre going for. This doesnt flake or smudge for me. The only turn off for me is the weird smell? A bit of a weird plastic/expired makeup kind of smell, even when its brand new

on 5/18/2015 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Decent mascara, makes my lashes look very.... sleek? I would classify this is as lengthening mascara personally, as I find it volumizing power isn't anything to rave about. It gives my lashes a very romantic look, seperating and flaring them out to the corner. There is a bit of clumping but not as much as some of the drugstore mascaras I've tried.
I can't shake the feeling this product is somewhat gimmicky, but I do enjoy the results it gives me. Three stars for makin my lashes look pretty good, but not holding up to the volumizing claim.

on 5/17/2015 2:26:00 AM

I really like this mascara a lot!! It glides on smoothly to the lashes and makes a good lengthy winged appearance to them:))I recommend this to anyone that wants that extra little flip to their lashes hence the name voluminous butterfly and it also does show volume like it says.

on 5/15/2015 5:28:00 PM

Let me begin with I love how this mascara makes my eyelashes look. They do not clump together I get both great length and volume. It looks like I'm wearing fake eyelashes. HOWEVER, this mascara dries out very quickly. I always make sure to close my caps correctly, but this dried out a week after buying it. This mascara also flakes really bad. I'm thinking because it dries quickly, but I apply 2 coats with other mascaras no problem. So yeah my eyelashes look great but I have to worry about flaking throughout the day

Video Reviews & Tutorials