April 20, 2014 | 1684 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Butterfly

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 7:44:00 PM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

I love this mascara!

Why?

- it makes my lashes look amazingly long and separated
- it doesn't cause eye irritation
- it removes very easily
- it doesn't smudge or smear during application
- it lasts through a long sweaty workout or a 9 hour workday
- it's pretty cheap at about $8
- people constantly ask me if I'm wearing false lashes because my lashes look just that amazing with this mascara,

If you haven't tried it then try it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by ImagineDestiny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this mascara for about a month now. I like to try new mascaras every so often and this one is my favourite that I've tried in a long time. I was weary to try it because a few reviews mentioned the smell of it sticking with them the whole day. Maybe my nose isn't as sensitive, but I DO NOT smell this mascara when it is on my lashes. If I stick my nose up to the tube, of course I do. ;) It does have an odd smell but trust me, you do not smell it after application. One thing I really liked about this mascara was the shape of the brush and bristles. It perfectly separated my lashes so I didn't get any clumps. It also adds a lot of length. It does not add a lot of volume if that is what you are looking for but if you know some application tricks, that shouldn't be much of a concern. It's a very "wet" mascara, which I like because I find it doesn't flake much compared to other drug store brands. Also, I'm guilty of drifting off to sleep before removing my mascara, and it still looks good in the morning. It really stays on your lashes!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2014 5:00:00 AM More reviews by xxirishbutterflyxx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I couldn't wait to try the butterfly mascara and was excited when I found it on sale. The brush is very unique to fan out the wings of your lashes and separate even the smaller lashes. The formula is very wet. You should wait for the first coat to at least partially dry before putting on multiple coats to get the desired effect. However, I was very sad and disappointed that this mascara is not made for us ladies who wear contacts and have gentle eyes. After beginning to apply my multiple coats of mascara my eyes began to burn like acid and I couldn't get the mascara off soon enough to relieve the pain! I've never experienced that with any other mascara before. I don't consider my eyes extra gentle either. This formula just was way too strong for me!! I was so sad! I really had high hopes for this mascara. Not so much haha!! Hope you ladies have a better experience than me!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by LightPink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been wearing this every day ( yes, 7 days a week and have not missed a day!) since I bought it on March 14, 2014. I loved it at first, it made my lashes look so pretty and very black (Blackest Black formula) but it did flake a little at the end of the day and it was not my fault because I never touch my eyes or rub them so I felt like I had to check in the mirror more than usual to wipe off flakes although I do apply to lower lashes too but never had a problem with flaking with other brands/mascaras. I liked the super wet formula, didn't mind the fragrance, to me was pretty easy to remove.

As of today a month later - the formula seems dryer and it flakes more but it does still look great but I don't think it will last 3 months ( I always toss my mascara after 3 months because I wear it 7 days a week and most don't look good anymore by 3 months of daily use and I worry about it going bad.) and still look and work great. so I may buy it again because it does make my lashes look so long, have extra volume and color my lashes super dark.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by aprilpinkbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product may be the first L'oreal mascara that I didn't LOVE. I waited and waited for my local drugstore to come out with the waterproof version since that is all I ever use and I wanted to give it a fair review.

It definitely tops all the other brands out there that I've tried (Maybelline, Rimmel, etc) but this one is just not for me. I find the brush super hard to work with and even as a makeup artist it took me a few days to figure out how to do it correctly. The short bristles give you some volume and the section with the longer bristles (or the part that looks like a comb) is used to make the outer part of your lashes longer for that "butterfly" effect. I found that once I tried to make the outer part of my lashes look longer, for some reason they didn't match with the rest of my lashes and that really bothered me. So I would go over the rest of my lashes with that comb part of the brush to even it all out. The formula dries very quickly so when I do this it clumps up if I am not fast with the application.

This mascara did hold my curl super well and kept it in place all day long which is what all L'Oreal mascaras do for me and makes them my favourite. Removal of this product was absolutely brutal. It made my lashes super hard and brittle as I tried to remove it. MAC cleansing oil lifted it a little bit but even after washing my face with my cleanser I would still have mascara left on my lashes and raccoon eyes after I got out of the shower. Some mornings I would even go over my eyes with a makeup wipe to remove access product that didn't get removed before I apply more.

I also find this to be a bit pricey - I'm not sure if that is because it is new or not. I can get my favourite L'Oreal mascaras for $10 but this was $15 plus tax at my local drugstore which is almost getting into the high end mascara category for me.

The packing is super cute, the concept is interesting, and the brush is definitely unique but I couldn't get into this particular mascara at all. I won't be repurchasing this particular one but I will ALWAYS be a L'Oreal mascara girl and will repurchase the ones I know and love.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by stargirl114

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this mascara because I thought it had a cool wand and I wanted to give it a try. This mascara has a very wet formula. Since I have very fine lashes this ended up just making them clumpy. Generally I go for the more defined lashes look. I also had problems with this mascara flaking off throughout the day. I love the length and volume it added, but since it was too hard to work with I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2014 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Saimiri923

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to say, I wasn't a fan of this and I generally like L'oreal mascaras. I thought the wand shape was actually pretty cool, and the longer combs did help me get to the outer lashes, so props for that. But the teeth on the combs were spaced far apart and the formula was quite wet, so those two things combined made it hard for me to get a separated, fanned-out look. I had a hard time keeping it from looking too clumpy, which is just my own preference. But it was good about not smudging/flaking/etc so that's a plus.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Everythinghappens4areason

MAYBE the best mascara i have ever used!! I have a medium length and small volume for my lashes. my mom bought something in sephora and gave me the medium size of this (it was a sample) and when i first saw it, I was like wth is with the mascara bottle? Anyways, I used this on my plain lashes and it was pretty awesome because it coats every hair on your eyelashes! Some of it though was sticking to each other so i had to use the small eyelash comb. Then i experimented with my other eyelash and curled it then combed it and finally put it on. My lashes were beautiful!! IT IS PROBABLY THE BEST MASCARA EVER!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 8:41:00 AM More reviews by felicialove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a decent product. I've bought it several times and would do so again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 7:37:00 AM More reviews by aleyton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm always on the lookout for a new mascara. My own lashes are fairly long, irregular in volume, and blonde. This mascara is wonderful for separation and color. I don't notice any flaking throughout the day when worn alone. This mascara, in combination with Voluminous False Fiber Lashes mascara, is amazing. One coat of Butterfly (to define roots), one coat of FF on ends, and one final combo of Butterfly for additional color will result in tip top glamour!
This mascara is one of the true black colored mascaras I've used.