August 2, 2014 | 1530 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous Butterfly

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by LalaGinger29

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first heard about this product I got really excited to get it because of all the high reviews. However I was not that impressed. The mascara I purchased was the waterproof black and it was $8. The brush was ok but clumped a little bit unless I brushed very fast. But it didn't really do much volume wise. But I did like the length it gave me and how long it lasts. It's just a pain to get of since it's waterproof but a oil based remover usually takes care of that. Overall, I'm giving it a 3/5 because it does work really good for how cheap it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by TuesdaysChylde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have tried so many of the low and high end brands of mascara, paying anywhere from $12-$45. Much of the time there is little difference that i can see. Quite simply, I love this product. I find it on par with Benefit or Mac (both of which I have tried and like) but with a lower price tag. I find that the wand is pretty easy to use, I get full coverage (meaning outer lashes, lower lashes, and blonde tips) in 2 coats, and there is almost no clumping or spidering. I will definitely purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by winniel

I love this mascara! I have the waterproof version and I find it goes on really nicely! I have short Asian lashes and after I curl them, I put a coat of these on and I find they do not flake nor clump! But, it is a tad tricky to put on my left side because the "lengthening" part of the stick is backwards; whereas application on the right side makes sense because the mascara catches the outer lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Shaunesyd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this recently and I love it! If you are looking for a simple look, it's perfect. Not clumpy at all, divides the lashes pretty evenly. I usually use this with another mascara for a more dramatic effect. I've already bought another one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by daaiissy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is one of the best mascaras I've ever tried. it gives me the length & volume I desire

rated 3 of 5 on 7/25/2014 5:11:00 AM More reviews by lvrgurl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The mascara is ok but the brush is a pain to get used to. It's complicated to use . But other than that it's ok . Does lengthen lashes but not thicken.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was extremely intrigued by this mascara for the longest time. Sure, the flared out "butterfly-like" mascara wand seemed quite gimmicky. I mean really, can there really be that much more innovation and variation when it comes to mascaras?

Of course this mascara has that pungent L'oreal mascara smell - I really wonder if it's an unnecessary additive L'oreal mixes into their mascaras, not a fan of it! Upon the first few applications, I noticed this mascara tended to considerably weigh my naturally straight lashes down. Mind you I curl my lashes with a eyelash curler heated with a hair dryer and I lay down a thin waterproof mascara layer to set the curl. Bummer. Now that I've had the mascara awhile (it's probably actually time to toss it!), it's drier and more suitable for my sparse Asian lashes.

Considering that this is not a fiber mascara, it actually does a decent job of adding volume and length to my lashes. I think the flared out bristles on the end do actually facilitate the distribution of more product on the outer lashes. I usually don't venture past two layers, as it starts to become rather clumpy and unattractive. The mascara also does appear to translate into a deep black color. However the downside - crazy intense smudge city on the lower lashes. Granted mascaras generally smudge and flake on my lower lashes, but the effect was noticeably worse with this mascara.

All in all this is an okay mascara. I purchased two tubes during a "Buy One, Get One Half Off" promotion, but I won't be repurchasing once I've used up the tubes. I do need to remember to reserve the mascara wand to see how it fares with other mascara formulas.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Sarahjeeezy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My all-time favorite mascara, and I just owned it for about a week!! I bought this mascara because the reviews on youtube were very good. I have yet to find a mascara that I kept repurchasing, until now! It makes my lashes very long and very separated and I do not get as much product on my eyelid as I do with other mascaras. One coat is all I need for an everyday look, and its easy to layer this in because the brush is so small and the teeth in it are so thin. The formula is a little wet, but after it dries a little its even better! I don't understand how the reviews are so bad :( but I strongly recommend! This will also probably work better if your lashes are already curly and long :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by bettybrilliant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't understand all the negative reviews because this stuff is incredible.
I have tried virtually every drugstore and high-end mascara and this is the best value, only comparable to Benefit's They're Real. I've recommended this to 3 or 4 people, and they all loved it as well!

The dual-ended brush works amazingly to separate lashes while layering on product. It's not too dramatically pigmented; it's a nice black. Works pretty well on bottom lashes too!

Love this and I'll keep coming back for more!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think the brush is the key to this mascara and not the formula. I wish it were a very dense black like the original L'Oreal Voluminous. That said, the brush is a winner because it really does separate extremely well. It adds more length than volume imo. The trouble came when I chose to add a second coat and all of a sudden the formula got kind of spiky. So I may try to use two mascaras - one for volume and this for length. The brush alone is the stand out of this product imo.