L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I looooove this mascara. It's the first mascara I've used that actually made my lashes look different, it lengthens like crazy in a natural way, to the point where people have complimented them which like NEVER happens, and it also gives definition, though not that much volume despite the name. I also appreciate that the packaging is pretty sleek compared to the super bulky, bright neon tubes taking over the makeup aisle. I've bought it multiple times. However, it does flake a bit, and my eyes are quite sensitive and this makes my eyes red and dry :( so I'm on the hunt again for a gentler mascara that hopefully can be as pretty as this one.

i bought this in the waterproof version because my stick straight, downward pointing asian lashes can't handle normal mascara formulas. the weird brush was difficult to work with, and all it did was clump up my lashes which defeated the whole reason why i bought this in the first place.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I hate this brush.
The formula is not for me. It Smudges around my eyes yet is hard to completely remove at the end of the day!?
Flaked and just did not wear well, also it did not wow me in anyway.

It's not a bad mascara, there is just way better mascaras out there for the same price. Doesn't really give you anything special, and the odd shaped brush isn't easy to work with. Waterproof version isn't very waterproof.

This is a very good mascara but there are much better mascaras out there. I have fairly long lashes, but they're kind of flimsy and don't have a lot of them, so I need volume and definition more than length. This delivers the length but not the volume, and if the name "voluminous" is in the product name...well, I have to penalize you, L'oreal.

There's probably a learning curve for many with the brush, but I think it's ingenious. I think when I first looked at it and thought, Okay, which way is this supposed to go? You can turn it to the side with the shorter bristles to get really close to the base of your lashes and deposit more product; then the longer side brushes through your lashes to comb through every one and remove any large clumps.

Unfortunately, I think it's the longer bristles that comb too much product out of the lashes so it's hard to build up. I also think the bristles are so close together they don't define each lash separately, so when you do build up more product you start to get that "I have only five really big lashes" look. And the formula was nice and smooth at first; not too wet, not too dry. Now I get little clumps, and I've only had the mascara for a month. Such a shame!

Such a nice try, L'oreal! Great brush that needs tweaking; same thing for the formula. So close!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This mascara is AMAZING. It would be perfect..but it flakes. It flakes very bad. I still use it because it makes my lashes look so much fuller, longer and fanned out, its amazing. I swear maybe this has extending fibers or something, it looks so good. Its not shiny so it looks natural and it doesnt clump. The brush is plastic and works great. I wish it didnt flake. Thats why i took a lippie off.

This is by far the best mascara from L'oreal. It gives you lenght and volume, my lashes look sooo long when I wear this. It doesnt get into my eyelids and its easy to apply, also, it lasts all day and its buildable. I've tried almost every mascara from this brand and the Butterfly is my favorite.

I bought this mascara on sale from Shoppers Drug Mart for $2.99...the low price is why I decided to give it a try! I was shocked at its comparability in result of volume and length to what I typically use, "They're Real!" by Benefit. It has family decent staying power, however I always use a base layer (Clinique) under my mascara which may be contributing to it not flaking & staying put all day. The only thing I don't love is the slightly chemical/floral scent from the mascara, but it's something I've learned to get over since I love the result it gives me :)

I would repurchase this again to try the not waterproof version. I found the waterproof one really dried my eyelashes out very hard to remove.

I bought this mascara solely based on the intriguing looking wand. What I don't get is why it isn't already in the tube of mascara but there must be a reason as its not the only one to package itself this way. I found the product on the dry side, not a big issue for me as I have deeply hooded eyes and really wet mascara is a mess to clean up on me anyway. The wand works surprisingly well on my hooded downturned eyes and gave them the illusion of lift which was a very pleasant surprise. Staying power was remarkable, and no problem to remove with an eye makeup remover. In fact, I'm surprised just how much product was on my lashes gives the few brush strokes applied. I have tried many different drug store mascaras, this is one of the better ones for me, my lashes looked much longer than with most other formulas so I probably will purchase it again. As for all these claims that a mascara curls your lashes, I have yet to find this to be true in my lifetime. I routinely use an eyelash curler and I don't think that works all that well either.

Popular Mascaras