Cover Girl Flamed out shadow pencil

2.9

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this because for awhile I was looking for a light pink shade that wasn't too light to see but also wasn't hot pink. I bought this pencil (I forgot the name but maybe primrose flame?) and the color is beautiful. I have super oily lids and compared to maybelline's color tattoo this stuff stays on great, the maybelline creased right away even with primer potion. Unlike others I never experienced any burning and my eyes are really sensitive to fragrance, then again I was using as a shadow and not a liner. Overall I'm absolutely buying more because the pigmentation and staying power is just too good, and cheap, to not take advantage of.

I purchased #315 Lime Green Flame. It's a gorgeous metallic lime green. I wore it on my lids under a powder shadow without any problems but a few days later when I went to use it in my water line my eyes started to burn and sting. My eyes were so watery and red I had to wash my face and eyes off to get it to stop. At that point I couldn't decide if it was the new eyeshadows or the pencil. So I used it again a few days later and the same thing happened and it was the only thing I had on my eyes. I promptly threw it out and won't be using anymore of that line.

on 11/2/2014 1:32:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was pleased that Cover Girl finally came out with a cream shadow product that I consider close to acceptable (unlike the shadow blast nightmares) These stay put all day and are crease proof, they are also good when you are in a pinch (I tried melted caramel and dark grey one by the way) However, the formula is a bit more dry and tends to tug on the skin when compared to the maybelline color tattoos. Also, they are a pain in the butt to sharpen, so bad in fact that I ended up going through one in a month because every time I applied it the tip would break off and when Id sharpen the pencil would come apart in chunk like pieces...if only they could be in a twist up stick type formula!

Covergirl I noticed has perfume in their products so if you have sensitive eyes steer clear! These would be great if they were easier to sharpen.

on 9/16/2014 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Update: I found the 3-in-1 sharpener at CVS. It's CVS brand, and for whatever reason, it's not located with the dual sharpeners. Bottom line is that I found it and it works.

I bought 350 and fell in love with it immediately. So easy to apply; it stays put all day on me, and let's face it, it's cheap. No burning as others have mentioned, but when it comes time to sharpen it, you need lots of patience. The sharpener size is between a regular sharpener and a chubby one, so the chubby size doesn't really work. You would think Cover Girl would sell the correct sharpener, wouldn't you? They don't, but the SA at Walgreens sold me a dual sharpener by Wet and Wild. I sharpened. And I sharpened. And I sharpened some more, until over half the pencil was gone. The tip broke off in the sharpener as soon as I made any progress.

I took the pencil and the sharpener back to Walgreens and showed another SA the problem. He gave me a new pencil and I bought the Revlon double sharpener. I haven't used this sharpener yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't work any better than the first one. I just read on another review site that CVS has a triple sharpener that fits this pencil perfectly. Next time I'm there, I'll get one. If it weren't for the sharpening problem, I'd give this 5 stars.

on 6/4/2014 9:47:00 PM

I love love love the Flamed out shadow pencils however I tried sharpening it and completly distroyed the tip and still can't get it usable. I feel lucky after reading the reviews that I haven't have any allergic reactions to the pencils as I truely like them!

on 5/19/2014 1:49:00 AM

I was super excited to get this stuff because of the beautiful color, but I ended up extremely disappointed. The color was beautiful, 340, which is kind of a light shimmery pink, but I opened the container and the tip literally fell off. I was so upset. This is also EXTREMELY HARD TO SHARPEN. The top was basically destroyed by the time I got some kind of tip. once I did put it on, it did burn and usually I don't have sensitive skin like that. very disappointed.

on 12/5/2013 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love shadow pencils, so I was excited to try these out as soon as they launched. I picked up Melted Caramel and Gold Flame.

Melted Caramel is a taupe/bronze/brown color. It is very similar to Urban Decay's Rehab; Hard Candy's Head to Toe (liquid to powder) or Quicksand (cream); MAKE UP FOR EVER's #15, Tom Ford Platinum and on and on. I do think that Melted Caramel tends to swatch much browner and darker than you might think looking at the pencil.

I picked up Gold Flame on a whim and it turned out much yellower than I anticipated. I think it looks a lot like the Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Gold Rush, maybe not quite as patchy, but both are a very banana yellow gold, which I do not like or use.

Both colors applied easily, blended well and wore great. They set in less than 30 seconds and did not crease on me. I saw some minor wear by six hours, but nothing bad. I did have to use an oil cleanser to remove them completely.

The packaging is okay. I am not crazy about the fact that you have to sharpen them like eyeliners, but at this price point, I'm willing to deal with it.

on 11/13/2013 10:58:00 PM

I understand many people have a problem with this shadow pencil- burning or irritating on the skin. I luckily haven't had that problem and THANK GOODNESS because I love it. I have this in 350 (melted caramel flame) and it is such a flattering shade. I don't ever wear eye shadow, and this this color is just the right amount of subtle and slightly shimmery for me. I have light olive skin, but I've put it on my very fair sister and my tan sister and looks gorgeous on them. It goes on so smoothly and I haven't had a problem with fading or flaking (I do not use a face or eye shadow primer). It feels cold when I put it on, because it's sort of like a cream. The packaging is sleek, I wish it was twistable, not a sharpener. Love it.

on 11/7/2013 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

What the heck?! How did this stuff make it to the store shelves and how is it still there?

As other reviewers said, this pencil will make your eyes sting and burn. I had to stand in my bathroom for five minutes with my eyes closed until the pain and the tearing finally stopped. And my eyes were bloodshot for hours.

Given all the other reviews saying about the same thing - I don't understand why this eye pencil is still on the market.

Worst product I've ever bought.

on 11/6/2013 10:08:00 PM

I forget which color I bought, I think it's called Ginger Flame. It's a rose gold kind of color and is absolutely gorgeous. It didn't burn my eyes like it seemed to have with other people. I did stab myself in the eye, ironically enough, and it didn't burn my eyes. I really like the color; it's a pretty alternative to a white pencil in your waterline.