April 24, 2014 | 1485 users online

Eyes - Cover Girl - Flamed out shadow pencil

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 1:15:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerismywarpaint

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Red Hot along with the corresponding shadow pot in Red Hot (I reviewed that as well.)
This is a very creamy shadow pencil. It is not self sharpening, so be aware that you'll need a jumbo sharpener when you go to sharpen this. It does not drag at all, and when you first apply the colour it looks very bold but sheers out nicely when you blend it. It can be built and layered to get a more vibrant colour.
I was really excited about this product simply because of the colour--I know of only three drugstore red eyeshadows, and I own them all. (I'd love to know more, if anyone knows of any.) The price was also very good.
I read the reviews here after purchasing and was a bit scared that my eyes would react badly to it, but they didn't. The colour last a good seven hours, without primer, before creasing. It looks very nice and vibrant with the Shadow Pot on top.
I recommend this product and I can't wait to try other colours.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by GirlieReview

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love shadow pencils, so I was excited to try these out as soon as they launched. I picked up Melted Caramel and Gold Flame.

Melted Caramel is a taupe/bronze/brown color. It is very similar to Urban Decay's Rehab; Hard Candy's Head to Toe (liquid to powder) or Quicksand (cream); MAKE UP FOR EVER's #15, Tom Ford Platinum and on and on. I do think that Melted Caramel tends to swatch much browner and darker than you might think looking at the pencil.

I picked up Gold Flame on a whim and it turned out much yellower than I anticipated. I think it looks a lot like the Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal in Gold Rush, maybe not quite as patchy, but both are a very banana yellow gold, which I do not like or use.

Both colors applied easily, blended well and wore great. They set in less than 30 seconds and did not crease on me. I saw some minor wear by six hours, but nothing bad. I did have to use an oil cleanser to remove them completely.

The packaging is okay. I am not crazy about the fact that you have to sharpen them like eyeliners, but at this price point, I'm willing to deal with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by scatcat92

I understand many people have a problem with this shadow pencil- burning or irritating on the skin. I luckily haven't had that problem and THANK GOODNESS because I love it. I have this in 350 (melted caramel flame) and it is such a flattering shade. I don't ever wear eye shadow, and this this color is just the right amount of subtle and slightly shimmery for me. I have light olive skin, but I've put it on my very fair sister and my tan sister and looks gorgeous on them. It goes on so smoothly and I haven't had a problem with fading or flaking (I do not use a face or eye shadow primer). It feels cold when I put it on, because it's sort of like a cream. The packaging is sleek, I wish it was twistable, not a sharpener. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 10:02:00 AM More reviews by chispa

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

What the heck?! How did this stuff make it to the store shelves and how is it still there?

As other reviewers said, this pencil will make your eyes sting and burn. I had to stand in my bathroom for five minutes with my eyes closed until the pain and the tearing finally stopped. And my eyes were bloodshot for hours.

Given all the other reviews saying about the same thing - I don't understand why this eye pencil is still on the market.

Worst product I've ever bought.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by kimt99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I forget which color I bought, I think it's called Ginger Flame. It's a rose gold kind of color and is absolutely gorgeous. It didn't burn my eyes like it seemed to have with other people. I did stab myself in the eye, ironically enough, and it didn't burn my eyes. I really like the color; it's a pretty alternative to a white pencil in your waterline.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

I'm like the previous reviewer...this stuff "flamed" my eyes! I purchased #345 Ice Flame and omg!!! It felt like I was holding a match to my eyeball! Couldn't get it off fast enough! I don't have sensitive eyes, I don't wear contacts, etc... This crap just burns! I returned it to the store and wrote out why they should take it off the shelves and I also contacted Covergirl. The rep was very nice and apologetic and took my info to send me some coupons in the mail. I love their mascara so that will be what I get with the coupons. The experience wasn't pleasant, but the rep was :-) When you have an issue with their makeup, I suggest contacting them. The customer service was superb!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by lulu56

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought #335, a greyish green color. This burns my eyelids and made my eyes water. I had to get this off immediately! After taking it off with a makeup remover, it left little particles of microglitter behind, which was not noticeable in the pencil itself. Ugh. This has very little pigment when I first swatched it on my hand when I bought it home, and left a metallic shine on my hand when I rubbed on it. It did leave a cooling sensation on my hand, so I thought it would be a nice cool thing for my eyelids. Nope. My eyes are not sensitive nor oily but I do wear contacts and this stuff really stings. So beware.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by Amymarie716

I bough this in 305 which is a pearly white color with a hint of shimmer. It is just the right amount of pigmentation, not too harsh but not too sheer. I use it on my bottom waterline, inner corner, and it can be used for your whole eyelid. Some people are complaining that they had a burning feeling in their eye after using this but I did not experience that at all. Overall safe to use, beautiful color, and good price.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by inthemindsofangels

I don't often write reviews here, I mostly just lurk, but this product irked me so badly I created an account just to splutter out my feelings about it. "Wow," you say, "That's a bit harsh."
...Yeah, pretty much.

. I wanted a golden eyeliner but could not for the life of me find my go-to eyeliner (Rimmel's kohl pencils do the trick) so I grabbed this one in the color 'Gold Flame.' It's a pearl-finish marigold-color and I hoped it suiting for a Greek goddess-type Halloween look. CG and I have been frenemies for a while; I like their Lip Perfection lipsticks and their LashBlast mascaras. Everything else just seems like it isn't worth the price. Or hype.

The packaging is actually really attractive and almost striking; it draws attention to itself. It's a shiny black chubby pencil with the end cap and actual cap matching the color inside. I was disappointed to find out that this wasn't a twist-up and it needed to be sharpened eventually, but it wasn't a huge detail for me.

When I swatched it on my hand, it wasn't very visible. The texture is creamy and smooth, but you have to strain your eyes to see the product. It could almost be described as a sheer cream eyeshadow. I decided to experiment with it and ran it across my waterline, paired with a black cateye; it gave barely a hint of color. Not an attractive pop of color, but just a hint. I let it be for a couple minutes and got a stinging, burning sensation in my eyes. My eyes watered and I quickly removed the product from my waterline, bringing sweet relief.

I don't ever have problems like this with other products; I don't have sensitive eyes or skin.
My first thought was "So THAT'S why they call it 'flamed' out..."
Dohoho. See what I did there? Anyways.

The packaging of this product is nice, the $6 price tag for what you pay for isn't. I can't bring myself to throw away a brand new makeup product that cost me the price of three of my preferred eyeliners, so I'll keep it tucked away in my Caboodle "just in case."

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by Cher86

I tried the ice blue pencil. After about 2 minutes,it was flaking like mad. It made my eyes red and watery. The color is nice, but not worth the pain.