MAC Prep + Prime Natural Radiance

2.9

on 6/7/2015 12:51:00 PM

I purchased this in Radiant Pink and I apply this literally right before I apply my foundation (the primer is still "wet" when I apply foundation) and I find that I can see the difference in my make up when I wear this as opposed to when I don't. I wear Estée Lauder Double Wear and it comes off way too matte on my skin when worn alone with Benefit Porefessional or Urban Decay Pore Perfecting primer so I purchased this to add a little radiance to my skin, I don't apply this to the "V" highlighting area on my face as anything radiant seems to make my pores more visible so I apply this to my forehead, down the bridge of my nose, cheeks and chin. I've been using this for a few months now and it hasn't irritated my sensitive skin (YAY), some products burn my skin and I suffer a lot with breakouts and this primer hasn't had any negative effects on my skin. The texture of this is kinda in the middle, not runny but not overly thick either so it's easy to apply and I can't smell any fragrance when I apply this product.

Although I'd recommend this product I'm not 100% sure whether I'd personally repurchase this as all I find it does is make my foundation appear more radiant (as the name of the product suggests) which is great for some people but for me it doesn't pro long the wear of my foundation (although the foundation I wear is long wearing anyway so you might notice a difference if you don't wear the same foundation as me), it doesn't help disguise my pores and it doesn't dim down any redness I get around my nose and sometimes on my cheeks and chin. Once I use all this I think I'll look for another illuminating primer that isn't so expensive as I contour and highlight my face so I add luminosity to my skin after I've set my foundation anyway but for those who prefer a more natural look to their every day make up then I think you'll see a difference when you apply this as the foundation I wear is full coverage and I can still see the difference.

I'm actually not sure if I will repurchase this. It seems to work pretty well with the MAC Pro Longwear foundation that I'm using. I don't get very oily which is really great, and the dry patches I have do seem to be more hydrated. The downside of this product is that it doesn't seem to sink into my skin. I definitely don't use too much, just half a pump for my whole face. I make sure to blend it in evenly. Still it doesn't seem to sink in very well. It gives a nice glow (even though the shimmery particles are pretty big and noticable) . At least until I apply my foundation. Then, it just seems to dissappear. Too bad. When I use it with a foundation not designed for hours of wear, it makes me even oilier than usual and seems to make my foundation slide off. I love MAC but this is not a winner.

I think this is a wonderful product ! It lubricates well and after application you get a nice glow. You don't need much product to apply it over the whole face. The make up really lasts longer! But i also find the product expensive and I find it unfortunate that the glow of the primer is disappears after the application of foundation.

on 10/6/2014 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I loved the old formula of prep and prime SPF 50 so when that was reformulated I decided to try this version. Big mistake! It felt greasy going on and my face was sparkly! Not a subtle shimmer, very VERY sparkly glitter all over my entire face. My concealer, which normally goes on flawlessly and never creases, looked cakey and creased big time! But worst of all: a couple hours later I was at work and my face started burning! I looked in the mirror and my face is red and splotchy and I'm starting to get little bumps!! This stuff is absolutely horrible! Thanks to this product my face is sparkly, cakey, red and blotchy and burninggg!!!! :-( I can't wait to get home and wash it off!!!!!!

on 9/3/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This was like putting Crisco with pink glitter on my face. My foundation looked horrible over this. I looked like I hadn't showered in a week...so greasy and gross.

on 8/17/2014 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I used to really love this primer, but recently was wondering why my foundation oxidising so terribly (becoming darker throughout the day), so I thought I would try stop using this primer, as primers are usually the biggest culprit for darkening foundation, and un fortunately this was the product doing so. The primer does give a beautiful glow to the skin, but a lot of foundations I have tried react badly to it, Max Factor PanStik being the worst, it literally goes about 2 shades darker, the Bobby Brown Foundation Stick doesn't react to badly, going about half a shade darker, Mac Studio Fix Fluid, being a disgusting foundation to start with doesn't seem to go any darker or worse with this primer. Maybe stick with Mac Foundations when using this primer. I would recommend something like the Smashbox primer instead.

on 1/15/2014 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I actually like this product. I also think I'm Addicted to using it lol. I really can't put my foundation on without it. It does make a difference with how my foundation goes on and even better when you wear it alone. Your face sorta just looks refreshed and Hydrated. It hasn't broken me out so I will def keep buying it. It is a little pricey but it will last you a very long time since you literally just need a pump for all over your face. If you guys want to see my foundation Routine
Here's my Youtube tutorial showing you the steps I take

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ignoring the reviews for this after one of the saleswomen at MAC put this under a foundation I bought it. First, I was extremely surprised at how amazing this primer made my skin look with my foundation. It added brilliance while thinning out the rather heavy and cakey foundation I was wearing at the time (MAC Pro-Longwear). I swore by this product, and even recommended it. I wore this every day for two weeks straight and got many compliments. And then...my entire face started breaking out. I didn't want to admit it was the primer and even checked with MAC that it was in fact "oil-free" and continued to use it. At this point, I was breaking out non-stop all over my face. Stopped the primer and my skin went back to normal.
I was very disappointed in this product and have to say it was a total waste of money. It felt greasy because it is -- It's like an oil slick with shimmer. I caution anyone not to buy this.

on 11/15/2013 6:25:00 PM

This primer made a really good base for my makeup unfortunately it broke me out. It's really a shame, my makeup loved it but my skin hated it. Even after the first day I used it, I noticed little bumps on my cheeks, I didn't think much of it but after a week of using it more red bumps appeared. I suggest get a sample if possible, if it doesn't irritate your skin lucky you! Gah, such a shame and it was so expensive as well!

on 10/7/2013 4:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I can't believe I am the first one to review and rave about this product! I first got my hands on it early January and has been my HG primer for months now. The girl at MAC showed me after I told her I had dry skin that would interfere with my makeup. She should me this, saying it was new and specifically for dry gals like me. I tried all the other primers on the market but they were all too drying for me (Benefit, Smashbox, Tarte, other MAC ones) But this after the first time I used was the best I have found. It kind of plumps the skin and doesn't dry at all, it gives the makeup a great base to cling on to, I don't touch up out as much with it and it helps lock in moisture in my skin through out the day. LOVE IT! Have repurchased and will repurchase again. Dry sensitive gals must try! :) Worth every penny!

Popular Primer/ Correctors

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv

Top Rated MAC Products