September 19, 2014 | 985 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Thickening Dryspun Finish Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by elajean

If you can afford to buy a $30 can of hairspray once a month and you've got fine hair, this might be for you.

I definitely think this is a product for fine hair only- I doubt it will do much on thicker hair.

Just as a previous reviewer, I too was seeking Brigitte Bardot volume for my fine hair and this product does the trick. It adds just enough texture and hold to boot - great because I have not found a hairspray that doesn't weigh my hair down or look awful after an hour or so. Fine hair is tricky! This stuff is magic!

HOWEVER, I can't keep buying it! I may buy one more can to use for special occasions but I seriously blow through a can in a month or less and this stuff isn't cheap! And that's not even with very liberal use - once a day, mainly on my fringe!

Terribly sad I can't afford this and I'm on the hunt for a comparable product that is more affordable - message me if you know of one!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by achtungbaby80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair is straight and fine yet I always want Brigitte Bardot-style volume, which can be tricky sometimes. I love this product, though--I can spray it on my hair and voila, there seems to be twice as much of it and it isn't as slippery, which means I can coax it into those voluminous updos pretty easily. It doesn't get all stiff like hairspray or make my hair greasy, which I really appreciate. As a bonus, it smells divine! The price is a bit steep here, but for this I would say it's worth it depending on how long it takes me to go through a bottle. If it's anything like my other Bumble and bumble products it will last awhile, and if that's the case, I won't hesitate to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love it. I have pretty fine hair and nothing adds the volume that much as this Finish Spray. I just got a haircut recently (up to shoulders lenght) and my hairstylist used this spray to add some volume. I must say - Wow, I was very impressed. My hair got that extra 80% volume and it was easy to brush out, still keeping the volume at 50%. My hair felt strong and thick for 2 days. I absolutely love it. It was $29 at the salon so I did not purchase it. But I am planning to buy it online.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by ymillie

I had really high expectations for this. I expected it to give me some nice volume, texture and grit but unfortunately, it didn't live up to its expectations.
When I first use the Dryspun Finishing Spray in the morning, I like the results it gave me, but I have to use quite a lot of product to get the volume I want. It's great for adding some grit to my hair if I'm braiding it and that's about it.
It doesn't last long at all and there's too much product that comes out when you want to spray at little at a time. It's also very expensive and small for the price.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2014 3:44:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Thank God that Boots allows one to buy a mini version of this product (still, I am minus 11 grrrrr) because it turned out to be another jolly disappointing product from Bumble & Bumble.

Packaging is really lovely but the product itself is a total waste of money if you like me have delicate, thin hair and you are hoping for some lift at the roots without having to dust powder, spray dry shampoo or a sticky hair spray - all of which always creates a sad, limp, terrible looking second day hair.

I watched a couple of reviews on YT (of lovely beauty columnist Sally Hughes among others who used it on her fringe where it seemed to work? Sorry, I have no fringe.) where people were hesitantly saying 'Errrrmmm, maybe it will work better for people with thin hair?' < well, if you have thick hair why do you bother with it in a first place and fyi if you have thin hair, nope, it will not work for us either.

The first thing is the smell. People, THE SMELL. Like I went on a time trip back to the 1980s and ended up in a suburban hair salon which would inevitably give you a poodle perm - simply awful, cheap, cologne-like smell. Who on Earth in the B&B marketing department came up with the idea?! Beware, it lingers and overpowers any perfume you would be wearing so you spray it, you're stuck with it until you wash your hair.

Then the main disappointment which is actually the product in action - there is no added volume. Nada. No grip, nothing gets a lift at the roots no mater how much you spray. What I got instead is a flyaway, matte, stinky hair that looked even thinner than before.

Not the look (or smell) I was hoping for - I am sticking with Charles Worthington texturising spray (pink bottle) or my absolute favourite (because one does not have to tightly control the amount sprayed like in Ch W's product case) L'Oreal Txt. I am yet to try the infamous Oribe but I've heard people talking about the perfume in it, and now I got seriously worried...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Susanner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've worked with this for two weeks and it's going back. I have very fine hair but a decent amount of it. I need something to add volume to the roots or it lays flat on my head. Looking at the video for this I thought it might be a good way to get the hold and texture I get when I first add loose curls to my hair. Most hair spray weighs my hair down so the "dry spun" aspect intrigued me. This holds my hair the first day but the next day when I restyle without washing it's flat and chunky no matter what I do, not matter how little I use the first day. I had a co-worker ask if she could brush my hair to get it to look "like it normally does"! For the ridiculous price point it's going back. I'm sticking with my HG root lifting product Osis Dust It with a light spray to Tres 2.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 6:17:00 PM More reviews by juliaesands

I like this spray. It really does just take a poof to start giving more volume to my second or third-day hair. I can start getting a fairly decent beehive as well with this and it lasts at least 2 days on me. As with all sprays, you can't tell how much is left in the bottle but it only take a few poofs to get results. The price is around $30 which is a lot but at the same time the bottle could last awhile.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Poli93

I have (lots of) fine hair, with oily roots. I got this alongside the Spray De Mode (which I love) to give a bit of oomph to my hair when I curled it. I hate any type of texturizing/salt spray because it makes me feel like my hair is super dirty. I had high hopes for this one and I gotta say I'm dissapointed.
It does give that "airy" volume, and hair doesn't feel too crunchy, but if you spray this on the roots of your hair it makes it a sticky, gross mess. Not a fan of the scent either!
I think with this one it's best to use it SPARINGLY, spraying it from as far away as possible, and concentrating on the midlengths of the hair rather than the roots. Also, when you spray it on a section of hair make sure to let it dry (it's really wet, which you wouldn't expect from something called "Dryspun") before releasing the hair because otherwise it does absolutely nothing.
It took me a while to get a grip on how to use this, and it's alright if done properly but I definitely won't repurchase considering the underwhelming results and overwhelming price.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by staceygrigas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I want to be able to give this 5 stars so badly. The lift and separation it gives is incredible. I have been trying out products to find the best styling routine for my medium, choppy layered cut. This spray gave me huge volume and some layer and piece separation that I wasn't really expecting. The problem is that it falls after a few minutes - you can revive it with your fingers, but using this once a day every day or two I ran out of this in just over 2 weeks. I'm not going to spend $60 a month for something I can probably find a cheaper and longer-lasting alternative to.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Bclancy

This stuff is sort of a cross between dry shampoo and hairspray. It has the light airy texture of dry shampoo only it has more hold, like that of a super light hairspray. If you have fine hair I bet this would work well as a light hold hairspray, as it won't weigh hair down.
When I played around with the tester of this in the store on my non-styled hair it didn't do much. It gave maybe a little bit of lift but it wasn't long before it fell flat as usual. Fast forward to months later and I am a full on Bumble and Bumble addict. Now I own many of their products, and the only one I haven't fallen in love with is Prep. One of my most recent purchases was Sumotech, another product which I was really NOT impressed with when I tested it at Sephora. Regardless of my first impression, I eventually bought it anyway and let me tell you I LOVE that stuff. I think it may be my favorite hair product ever. So back to Dryspun: after the Sumotech incident I decided to give Dryspun a chance, just trusting in the general quality of Bumble and Bumble. After all, the concept of this product really appealed to me. Well once again I have not been disappointed. This afternoon I gave my hair a blowout -first blow drying my hair upside down, then adding B&B Styling Creme(to help hold curl), then finishing the blowout with a small round brush so that I have voluminous curls. I use B&B Texture on my roots before drying to begin building volume. When if was done I finished it off with a lot of Dryspun, kind of tousling it with my fingers as per the instructions. Well I can tell it's made a big improvement in volume than if I didn't use it. I actually have pictures of how my hair looked from previous times I have worn this style. Those times I did everything the same and used exactly the same products except for Dryspun. So I can say for certain it makes a difference. So glad I purchased this. I bet this will work great in the morning to refresh my style and reinflate the volume.

Oh, and a word to the reviewers who find that the volume this provides doesn't last: when I first tried it at Sephora only lank, non-styled hair, it didn't last for me either. But I have since learned, as this is labeled as a finishing product, it's purpose is not so much to create volume as to hold it in place. Just like a hairspray holds curls in place, but it doesn't create them. Yes this can add a little more volume to an already volumized style, and it can help hold volume in place after you've blow dried with your head upside down or teased it or whatever. Just don't expect this product to do all the work all by itself. You need a good foundation product(like mousse or a volumizing gel. I use BB Texture for this) applied to the roots when hair is wet. Then you need to build volume with a blow dryer. The foundation product + Dryspun Finish work together to keep a style voluminous, but only if used correctly. At least that's my experience. If you think $29 for a finishing product is ridiculous then don't buy this. But don't buy it and expect it to work miracles all on its own. A product, even a very good one cannot replace hard work and skill. And no single product can do everything, we need different types of products to address different needs. As for me, I will continue to pay the high price for this product, as IMO it is a really good product and for me it is worth it.

Caveat on this product: if used generously it can be pretty drying and cause hair to frizz. I still love this product, nothing helps volumize my hair like this. I just use some kind of anti-frizz/shine product in conjunction with this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No