April 17, 2014 | 1914 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Thickening Dryspun Finish Spray

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Susanner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've worked with this for two weeks and it's going back. I have very fine hair but a decent amount of it. I need something to add volume to the roots or it lays flat on my head. Looking at the video for this I thought it might be a good way to get the hold and texture I get when I first add loose curls to my hair. Most hair spray weighs my hair down so the "dry spun" aspect intrigued me. This holds my hair the first day but the next day when I restyle without washing it's flat and chunky no matter what I do, not matter how little I use the first day. I had a co-worker ask if she could brush my hair to get it to look "like it normally does"! For the ridiculous price point it's going back. I'm sticking with my HG root lifting product Osis Dust It with a light spray to Tres 2.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 6:17:00 PM More reviews by juliaesands

I like this spray. It really does just take a poof to start giving more volume to my second or third-day hair. I can start getting a fairly decent beehive as well with this and it lasts at least 2 days on me. As with all sprays, you can't tell how much is left in the bottle but it only take a few poofs to get results. The price is around $30 which is a lot but at the same time the bottle could last awhile.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Poli93

I have (lots of) fine hair, with oily roots. I got this alongside the Spray De Mode (which I love) to give a bit of oomph to my hair when I curled it. I hate any type of texturizing/salt spray because it makes me feel like my hair is super dirty. I had high hopes for this one and I gotta say I'm dissapointed.
It does give that "airy" volume, and hair doesn't feel too crunchy, but if you spray this on the roots of your hair it makes it a sticky, gross mess. Not a fan of the scent either!
I think with this one it's best to use it SPARINGLY, spraying it from as far away as possible, and concentrating on the midlengths of the hair rather than the roots. Also, when you spray it on a section of hair make sure to let it dry (it's really wet, which you wouldn't expect from something called "Dryspun") before releasing the hair because otherwise it does absolutely nothing.
It took me a while to get a grip on how to use this, and it's alright if done properly but I definitely won't repurchase considering the underwhelming results and overwhelming price.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by staceygrigas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I want to be able to give this 5 stars so badly. The lift and separation it gives is incredible. I have been trying out products to find the best styling routine for my medium, choppy layered cut. This spray gave me huge volume and some layer and piece separation that I wasn't really expecting. The problem is that it falls after a few minutes - you can revive it with your fingers, but using this once a day every day or two I ran out of this in just over 2 weeks. I'm not going to spend $60 a month for something I can probably find a cheaper and longer-lasting alternative to.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Bclancy

This stuff is sort of a cross between dry shampoo and hairspray. It has the light airy texture of dry shampoo only it has more hold, like that of a super light hairspray. If you have fine hair I bet this would work well as a light hold hairspray, as it won't weigh hair down.
When I played around with the tester of this in the store on my non-styled hair it didn't do much. It gave maybe a little bit of lift but it wasn't long before it fell flat as usual. Fast forward to months later and I am a full on Bumble and Bumble addict. Now I own many of their products, and the only one I haven't fallen in love with is Prep. One of my most recent purchases was Sumotech, another product which I was really NOT impressed with when I tested it at Sephora. Regardless of my first impression, I eventually bought it anyway and let me tell you I LOVE that stuff. I think it may be my favorite hair product ever. So back to Dryspun: after the Sumotech incident I decided to give Dryspun a chance, just trusting in the general quality of Bumble and Bumble. After all, the concept of this product really appealed to me. Well once again I have not been disappointed. This afternoon I gave my hair a blowout -first blow drying my hair upside down, then adding B&B Styling Creme(to help hold curl), then finishing the blowout with a small round brush so that I have voluminous curls. I use B&B Texture on my roots before drying to begin building volume. When if was done I finished it off with a lot of Dryspun, kind of tousling it with my fingers as per the instructions. Well I can tell it's made a big improvement in volume than if I didn't use it. I actually have pictures of how my hair looked from previous times I have worn this style. Those times I did everything the same and used exactly the same products except for Dryspun. So I can say for certain it makes a difference. So glad I purchased this. I bet this will work great in the morning to refresh my style and reinflate the volume.

Oh, and a word to the reviewers who find that the volume this provides doesn't last: when I first tried it at Sephora only lank, non-styled hair, it didn't last for me either. But I have since learned, as this is labeled as a finishing product, it's purpose is not so much to create volume as to hold it in place. Just like a hairspray holds curls in place, but it doesn't create them. Yes this can add a little more volume to an already volumized style, and it can help hold volume in place after you've blow dried with your head upside down or teased it or whatever. Just don't expect this product to do all the work all by itself. You need a good foundation product(like mousse or a volumizing gel. I use BB Texture for this) applied to the roots when hair is wet. Then you need to build volume with a blow dryer. The foundation product + Dryspun Finish work together to keep a style voluminous, but only if used correctly. At least that's my experience. If you think $29 for a finishing product is ridiculous then don't buy this. But don't buy it and expect it to work miracles all on its own. A product, even a very good one cannot replace hard work and skill. And no single product can do everything, we need different types of products to address different needs. As for me, I will continue to pay the high price for this product, as IMO it is a really good product and for me it is worth it.

Caveat on this product: if used generously it can be pretty drying and cause hair to frizz. I still love this product, nothing helps volumize my hair like this. I just use some kind of anti-frizz/shine product in conjunction with this.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

rtunately I sprayed this on while in Sephora (I don't test a thing there for sanitary reasons but this sprays from a can). It gave my hair a little lift but it feels like a coating of hairspray. Plus it has alcohol so I am glad I left it behind. It dulled the shine from my fresh washed hair as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ssaddle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have very long, fine blond hair that is so finicky that I've stuck with BB styling products for years because of the results I get. The cool thing about BB is you can mix them, such as adding a dot of Grooming Cream with Texture and the results are sublime! I digress...this spray has a fantastic smell (doesn't last though) and have been using this mainly for quick volume buildup when I'm in a hurry. Wash hair, dry and comb out then spray this on the length of the hair by sections and BOOM, I have tons of volume and great textured mess that I can clean up with a few swipes of a comb (if I want). Its quick and hasn't failed me yet. I am just about finished with my first purchase and will definitely go for it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by allisonb93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this spray to give me texture and volume after a blowout. My hair is too smooth and silky(which I like) but it won't hold any teasing or if I want it up the pony tail holder just slips right out. This is defiantly a texture spray. It will give you tons or texture, makes hair a little but dry feeling, don't overuse! Good to spray on roots on 2nd and 3rd day hair. It's great for giving that bed head look. I spray into my roots before I tease and it gives it some grip, I also spray a little bit on the length of my hair to give it that not so perfect look. My hair is thick and I have lots of it and it really helps with texture!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Avril14th

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been dying to try this as it has been all over the beauty blogs. My stylist tried this and a Redken texture spray on me yesterday after drying my hair. I did not notice any volume at all with either of them. The new texture sprays at Bath and Body stores give incredible volume, smell great and are pretty cheap compared to this. I still want to try Oribe and Beehive sprays to see if the live up to their hype.