Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Shame

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Lovelyyyyyyyy colour!!!! Love the formula... feels super hydrating on the lips! The only thing I don't like is sometimes the formula is just a little too creamy, as it never seems to set ever on my lips. So it's very easy to smudge throughout the day... which sucks. Maybe I'll try different ways of applying it, or mix it with another lipstick. It is true though that it is a unique colour! This one is definitely for someone who is looking for a unique vampy lip, without that disgusting matte dry factor.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I ordered this last year because I'm a long time UD fan, the color looked gorgiful, I make bad impulse decisions sometimes, and at the time I didn't have anything quite like it in my stash. Not heading down to the local Ulta and swatching it first was a real mistake.

When I received it, the first thing I learned was that its appearance on screen and even looking at the tube right in person is a completely different color than how it applies. The swatches I studied and the actual product in person is a deep, vampy, blackened plummy-burgundy which is exactly what I wanted. On the skin and lips however, it's a bright vibrant screaming cranberry red, which is absolutely not what I wanted. How the color transforms so drastically from tube to skin, I will never know.

The second thing I learned was that this was and still is the messiest lipstick I have ever used - with or without liner, straight from the tube or applied with a brush. Normally, you want to hear words like "buttery," "creamy," "smooth," or "glide," when you're looking for lipstick. I can't speak for the other colors, but Shame is a little TOO buttery, like it had been sitting in a hot car for a few hours and started to melt. It "glides" alright. It glides on and then keeps on going without you. It's like trying to wrangle greased lightening onto your lips. Once I finally got it on, I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning up my edges because it moves all over the place and never sets. It smudges if you move your mouth the wrong way. It smudges if you sneeze. It smudges if the wind blows. For such a creamy lipstick, it clings to the slightest dry patches and the coverage is quite patchy and difficult to even out. It doesn't matter much though, because within the hour it will inevitably be smeared on your chin, cheek or even your nose (like another reviewer stated) without even trying. You'll have no idea how it ends up in the places that it does. I have worn this lipstick 4-5 times before coming to the conclusion that it's not worth the hassle or the $22 price tag.

I will say that it does feel very comfortable and moisturizing on the lips, like a heavy protective balm. The best part about this product is the packaging, which I usually couldn't care less about unless it affects the product's performance. The tube is like a bullet! Shiny and heavy, feels nice in your hand. Its slightly odd shape and metallic texture make it easy to find in a purse or makeup bag. However, I'm gonna need more than just a pretty package for $22. This was the first UD product I wasn't completely, 100% satisfied with and I've been using UD since the late 90's. Definitely expected much more from Urban Decay, especially for those prices. I will certainly continue to by UDs other products but I will approach the lipsticks with caution be sure to seek them out to swatch in person before making my decision.

The good news is - because it transfers so easily I was able to use it as a guideline for custom fitting homemade latex prosthetic pieces to my face by roughly mapping it out with Shame on an angle brush then pressing the latex sheets to my face... voila! Instant pattern lines for cutting and fitting. I'll probably come up with a few little ideas here and there to work it into SFX makeups just so it's not a complete waste, but that's the end of the line for UD's Shame, at least in my wardrobe.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Sheer Shame: I ordered this online after reading about it somewhere. I meant to order the regular one and wound up with the sheer one. It's pure freaking bright pink berry on me and I can't stand it. BUT, it is no doubt the absolute best feeling, smoothest, lipstick I've ever put on my lips and I love that for the ten minutes it stays on. So, I will definitely be trying it in another shade, Sheer Shame just isn't for me. It really doesn't stay on anytime at all on me. The packaging (tube) is amazing, shiny and heavy, I really love that.

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I picked up this lipstick for $22 at Sephora. It is definitely not a cheap buy. It is very easy to apply and it holds well. The color came off as very red on my lips, which means that for some of us our teeth will look yellow. The color seems more purple in the tube and when blotting, but on my lips it's undeniably red. It is a very bold color, so if you like that this lipstick is perfect for you. The color is stunning, but unfortunately it just isn't the right shade for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love UD's Sheer Revolution Lipsticks. The formula is beyond compare (hence the three lippies). But Shame... Meh... It just wasn't right for me. it pulled much more "bright hot pink" than "berry" on me. I had to return it because it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wish they actually had a sheer berry lipstick in this line.

The colour is absolutely gorgeous. I've been looking for a perfect dark lipstick without looking "too goth" and this shade was the best so far. I didn't have any problem with application even on quite dry lips. Feels and wears nicely. Creamy, a bit too much shine for me. However. Needs a lip liner. Runs off of lip line pretty easy. Which for that price (and from that brand) is disappointing. I guess it's because of creamy consistency, but still... It's not a stain, smudges easily, although if not touched, the staying power is good.

Overall good product.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Wow! I just wandering around the makeup counters and wanted a new lipstick. Id been interested in Shame so the Urban Decay SA tried it on me. We both loved it. It goes really well with my olive skin! I didn't actually expect to like the quality so much. I always get gross dried skin and "crusties" (new word!) when i wear dark lipstick throughout the day, but this really holds up! I don't expect a dark red/berry to not need touch ups though, so of course after eating it needs a small reapplication. Love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have to admit that I wasn't nearly as impressed with Shame as I had hoped. The color is a gorgeous very deep vampy red with a bit of plum undertones. It's really hard to describe just how pretty a shade it is! Unfortunately, it applies a bit unevenly, even on my exfoliated and moisturized lips. I find that after a couple hours of wear it also sinks into lip lines a bit. And without a good liner it feathers and travels outside my lips. I invested in UD's liner in Venom and using it with Shame helps a ton but I feel a $20 lipstick should perform better on it's own. I don't regret purchasing Shame but I don't feel it's up to par compared to other shades in the Revolution line. I won't repurchase this one.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Damn, this lipstick is GORGEOUS!! I'm a red lipstick fanatic and I've had Urban Decay's Revolution reds on my wish list forever. Finally, I had a 20% off rewards coupon for Ulta and I decided to use it to buy Mrs. Mia Wallace, F-Bomb and Shame. Shame scared me a bit at first, but it got such fantastic reviews, I knew I had to try it. I've worn it as a stain and full-on and both ways it is gorgeous. It also has fantastic staying power (since it basically wears down to a stain). I *love* it! It's a gorgeous color for fall! EDIT: I understand why Temptalia had issues with this lipstick. I found that in order to have the color apply evenly, I had to exfoliate my lips with a sugar scrub first. However, I end up doing this with most pigmented lipsticks and the color is worth a little extra work imho!

I've wanted Shame ever since Urban Decay launched the Revolution lipstick line last year. I finally caved and treated myself to it this past weekend, and I'm very happy with my choice.

The color is a gorgeous, rich dark red. It's an excellent pick if you love a vampy red lipstick. I'm sure that you could sheer it out with a lip brush if you wanted to and it would look great, but I've been applying it straight from the tube and enjoying it that way. I love how dramatic the color is. It stays in place very well throughout the day, too. I think we can all agree that there are few beauty problems more annoying than an otherwise gorgeous lipstick feathering or bleeding outside of the lip line. I purposely wore Shame a few days in a row with no lip liner or primer, and I experienced no feathering or smearing.

The formula of the Urban Decay Revolution lipsticks is as good as every beauty blog says it is. It's rich and creamy without being slippery -- think a Revlon Lip Butter with a bit more grip. Shame stays on pretty well for me during the day. It's probably my longest-wearing non-matte lipstick. I did have to touch up a bit after eating a meal, but I definitely didn't feel like I was constantly reapplying during the day. And because the formula is so awesome, the application is great, no tugging on lips or drying them out. UD's packaging and site say that the Revolution lipsticks contain several moisturizing ingredients. I do notice that my lips, which are constantly dry and flaky, feel lightly moisturized during the day when wearing Shame, and that when I take the lipstick off at the end of the day, my lips aren't chapped.

Even the packaging is amazing. The sleek gunmetal tube is pretty in its own right, and the lid clicks securely into place. I can tell that I won't need to worry about it coming off in my purse and making a mess.

I put off buying Shame for a couple of reasons: the hefty price tag, and the review on Temptalia, which was pretty disappointing. I'm really glad that I checked out the reviews here and changed my mind, because I couldn't be happier with it! It's definitely a great splurge item to add to your collection if you love a bold, showstopping dark red.

Recommended for Medium Skin