Coastal Scents Hot Pots (general)

4.7

on 4/13/2015 4:44:00 AM

I noticed that there aren't many reviews for matte Hot Pots. I have 11 matte Hot Pots and 1 shimmery shade. One light matte (Chamois Nude) and a range of reddish-purplish and brown shadows, plus a shimmery Light Apricot. They're fantastic!

The matte shadows are pigmented BUT there is a bit of a learning curve. They are not buttery soft like Urban Decay eye shadows. Still, they can be blended beautifully -- it just takes a bit more than one quick swirl. This allows for more control over blending. It is easy to build up colour. I think this is because the shadows contain kaolin clay. Kaolin clay increases adhesion. I have an Illamasqua Facets palette that includes a few eye shadows and an eyebrow powder. In that palette, the brow powder has kaolinite in it and it performs differently to the eye shadows. It kind of sticks more. It's the same with the Coastal Scents Hot Pots. It's more noticeable in the mattes.

I do use a primer so I don't know how the shadows would last alone on my oily lids but with primer they last all day unchanged, from 8am to 7pm, when I remove my make up.

on 12/19/2014 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Coastal Scents Hot Pots are among my favorite eyeshadows. The price/quality ratio simply can not be beaten as the pigmentation and blend-ability of them is awesome. I bought these Hot Pots when they were on sale at $0.99 a piece. The regular price is $1.95 each which is still very affordable. There are also more than 300 colors to choose from so there are a few unique shades in the line.

The performance of these is on par with any high end eyeshadow in my opinion. I have purchased both their mattes and shimmers, the matte eyeshadows are very good but the shimmers are outstanding-I prefer Coastal Scents Hot Pot shimmers to Makeup Geek and they are cheaper. I have over 30 of the Hot Pots and the following are my favorites:

Fleshtone- Gorgeous champagne highlight color. A universal color that will suit most skin tones. I really like this on the browbone/inner corners but it also works well on the cheekbones.

Bright Copper- Stunning rose gold shimmer that is so smooth and pigmented.

Elven Gold-This is a light gold with a slight green undertone. It works well as a highlight and looks great paired with green eyeshadows.

Tuscany- This is a unique color that I'd describe as a matte pinky brown with a bit of orange in it. It reminds me of a terracotta tile and I love this color in the crease. Beautiful.

Paprika- This is a deeper version of Tuscany, the two are very similar and I love both.

Dark Golden Olive- The name is a bit of a misnomer as there's nothing golden about it. It's a dark khaki green with more of a satin than shimmery finish. Awesome color.

Medieval Gold-This is an antique bronze color with great texture and pigmentation.

Cherry Moss- A gorgeous brown/green duochrome eyeshadow. Similar to MAC Club

Spruced Up-A shimmery light green with some grey tones. Very pretty.

Mai Tai- A pretty shimmery taupe with some purple tones. Along the lines of MAC Satin Taupe/Makeup Geek Prom Night.

Deep Viridian- this is a matte deep turquoise, not quite as wearable a color as some of the others but the pigmentation/quality of it is insane. Would make a great eyeliner. If you're a fan of blue-green eyeshadows, you'll want this.

on 9/23/2014 4:30:00 PM

Wow this has to be the highest rating i've ever given a product! These are so cheap, under $2, and soooo incredibly buttery, creamy, and pigmented. They're so pigmented that you would swear that its a loose pigment rather than a pressed eyeshadow. These blend better than makeupgeek eyeshadows, and i have a bunch of those two, which are 3x the cost :/

Also there are so many colors to choose from which is great. I love the neutrals and coppers--definitely check out "bright copper" and "peachy copper"--soo vibrant, blendable and gorgeous!

on 8/6/2014 3:13:00 PM

I really like Coastal Scents' hot pot single eyeshadows! There are TONS of colors to choose from, way more than the singles BH Cosmetics offers. They have a good range of textures to choose from as well, & they have everything to rich metallics, everyday neutrals, blending shades, brights, darks, satins, & everything in between! Also, I'm convinced that the eyeshadow they use for the hot pots is different than the eyeshadow in the 88 palettes (or the 120's, 252's, etc. Basically the ones that have tons of colors), it seems to be much better quality. Don't get me wrong, I have the 88 Original palette & I love it & am satisfied with the quality, but I'm just saying that in my experience, I feel that the shadow for the Hot Pots is better. It's cool because they sell the pans of eyeshadow separately, & empty palettes, so you can build your own palette, or if you already have a palette at home & don't need a new one you can save some money & just buy the refills-I believe that they fit into Mac palettes, but am not 100% certain on that-would be easy enough to find out though. A few of my favorites I reach for alot off the top of my head are Wishy-Washy, Steel Grey, Kodiak, & Rainstorm.

on 7/25/2014 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Generally, the more shimmery the color, the better the payoff. Some of these feel like a dream but look frosty and garish on my eyes. That is not to say there aren't some beautiful shades in this range with excellent quality that rival department store products. With 300 separate pans, there are bound to be some hits and misses. I find that these are about on par with good drugstore brands like Nyx and Milani. The most fabulous thing about them is the customizability. I love that these pans are magnetic and I can switch them around and create looks. You get a ton of product for the price, which is normally $1.99 but will go on sale for half off. I don't recommend getting the pre-made palettes unless you can get them deeply discounted. I have 4 of them and there are several colors that overlap. (I got them deeply discounted). You do need to get the empty palettes separately (a 12 pan palette costs $6 and has a nice big mirror). Some of my favorites: Cherry Chocolate, Regalia Purple, Deep Merlot, Mauve, Camel Taupe, Bazaar, Berry Grey, Dark Golden Olive. I don't have enough mattes to recommend any of them.

on 7/21/2014 9:16:00 PM

Hot pots are fantastic little gems!!!! Highly pigmented, great wearing, and the colour selection is vast. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I have almost every colour.

on 7/18/2014 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My video review of the Coastal Scents Hot Pots & a video of my collection with swatches.

Mini Review & Haul -

Collection & Swatches -

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Highly pigmented, these little beauties come in a wide range of colors and to top it all off they are super cheap. Not even going to lie I love them more than the MAC shadows I spent $12 a piece on! I will definitely be purchasing more

on 1/15/2014 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

CHECK OUT MY REVIEW HERE: https://makeupbyfranchesca.squarespace.com/reviews/2013/12/11/coastal-scents-haulreview-dec-2013
INCLUDES A REVIEW OF COASTAL SCENTS HOT POTS AND MORE

on 10/3/2013 9:31:00 PM

These separate pot shadows are really great quality! They are about $2 each, and go on sale for $.99 occasionally! You can get your own empty palette and fill it with whatever shadows you choose so it's totally custom. I believe the quality of the "hot pots" which are separate is much better than the pre-made palettes by Coastal Scents.

Video Reviews & Tutorials