MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

4.5

Amazing colour :) Downsides: the formula isn't very creamy so it's a bit hard to apply. Also fairly drying. If you have any flakey/dry skin on your lips at all, this will only make it worse!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

For a nude lover like myself, this is extremely out of my comfort zone, yet I'm obsessed with how this lipstick just brightens up my face. It is a bright pinky red that gives such a beautiful velvetty matte finish. Be careful, this is super drying as all retro matte finishes are, but if you exfoliate, let a lip balm sink into your lips for a couple minutes and then apply, you should be all set. The fact that its long wearing, gives off such a beautiful matte finish & its ability to brighten up my face is enough justification to continue to purchase this lipstick as long as it's available. I'm an NC30 from Mac for reference, but I haven't seen this color be unflattering to anyone.

This shade is literally never in stock, because everyone seems to be obsessed with it and now that I own my tube of it - I totally justify the hype.

All Fired Up is a beautiful, deep berry red colour that has a retro matte finish. This means that it is drier than a matte and a bit difficult to apply. You certainly need to prep your lips beforehand for a flawless lipstick application.

It does however last all day long and survive all the drinking and eating. It doesn't smudge and has got that velvety-smooth look to it. Absolutely divine! If you like your reds a bit blue-ish and berry in colour - try this lipstick!

For swatches and more info on other best selling MAC lipsticks use the link below. Hope it helps deciding!

I'm in love with this shade it's a more red / pink. I never wear pink so this was a perfect find for me with just a tad bit of a vibrant Pink. The retro matte formula is my favourite as long as your moisturizing your lips. I great colour to finish off a natural makeup for a nice pop

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I got this from my sister(didn't go well with her skin tone). At first I didn't like it so much because it just made my lips look rough and loud but then I started mouturising my lips properly that helped a lot as it's super drying. Then the colour, it can be a bit Loud and overwhelming - it's a cross between ruby woo and flat out fabulous(it's like a reddish pink). If you're a bit conservative ensure you line it with a brown lip liner and fall in love with your lips!

Returning this. It's dry, and as a retro matte I expected that. Unfortunately even after applying with a brush, blotting, all that, the second I purse my lips, the inner lipstick comes off. This is immediate. Disappointed.

I really like this lipstick. On me, it's a matte berry red shade that goes great with a brown smokey eye or a no-makeup makeup look. The retro matte finish is not too drying and glides on smoothly, however, it does tend to transfer. I'd recommend exfoliating/moisturizing your lips before applying this lipstick because it slightly accentuates cracks and fine lines. It's a bold color perfect for spring and summer.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

The MAC website describes All Fired Up as a 'bright fuschia matte' however that would depend on your skin tone and the pigmentation of your lips. On me, it's a deep yet bright dark pink. It doesn't look red on me at all. The finish is a 'retro matte', it takes a few swipes to get it on your lips and the colour pay off is highly pigmented and intense. It seems like a dry formula however it doesn't feel dry or heavy on my lips, and doesn't settle into the lines. It is a very beautiful shade, and would suit a variety of different skin tones.
A very good dupe for it is the KIKO Rock Idol Lipstick in Rossetto 06, they look practically the same on me. I love having both, as the familiar vanilla scent of the MAC lipsticks is just lovely.

Such a beautiful watermelon red shade! I love it so much.

It looks kind of pink in the tube, but don't let that fool you. It's much more red and intense when you put it on. You could even probably get away with using a red liner if you don't have a matching liner.

In terms of texture, it is a DRY matte. A bit difficult to put on, but quite long-lasting once you do.

Recommended for Medium Skin