September 2, 2014 | 890 users online

Hair - Bumble & Bumble - Pret a Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is amazing. I have thick hair with oily roots that start to look stringy and horrible in a day. But not with Pret a Powder around! I sprinkle this into my hair wherever I need some oil absorption and volume and that is exactly what I get. It feels the tiniest bit sticky, but not nearly as much as other volumizing hair powders (i.e., Osis Dust It). It leaves a slight white cast on my near-black hair, but the white cast goes away when I massage the product in and brush it out. It doesn't create a ton of buildup on my scalp and I can apply more day after day without feeling gross. I even put this in clean, just-washed hair for a little bump of volume.

It has a light, fresh, powdery scent that is very pleasant and clean. I have been reaching for this most days. The packaging looks high-class and chic, and I am appreciative of the fact that the dispenser only has one hole so as to not fling powder everywhere. That being said, maybe I use it too much, but the product seems to be going down quite quickly compared to others I've owned. I've had a little 2oz bottle of Oscar Blandi dry shampoo that is still going strong after 2 years. But I don't think one one bottle of Pret A Powder will last me even 3 months.

But I need this in my life. I cannot be without this product. I love it so much I purchased another bottle to carry with me during the day. It's pricey, but it is absolutely worth every penny. Especially if you are lazy and don't prefer to shampoo your hair every day. On another note, I also picked up the Dryspun Thickening Finish by Bumble and Bumble but ended up returning it because it did next-to-nothing for my hair. The Pret A Powder, however, is amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Monday1

This stuff is great. It does its job as a dry shampoo, but is also very volumizing with no residue and, as far as I can tell, no scent. A little goes a long way, making it not as expensive per unit as it looks. It's just as fast and easy to apply as the spray brands, but with a much nicer finish.

I am a big user of dry shampoo and have tried MANY brands. Until this my strategy was to go as cheap as possible. I found that even the least expensive drugstore brands worked fine at getting rid of grease. However, the rough and chemical-y feel, plus sometimes the scent, bothered my husband a little bit, so I felt like I got a pass on at least sampling Pret a Powder (though it felt a little indulgent). I love it! I was concerned it would get all over the place when I put it on, but as long as you control where you're placing it and work it through with your fingers there is no mess. I've also started using it to give extra volume even when my hair is freshly washed. I never would have done that with my cheapie cans because of the feel. I'll also add that I have dark hair but have had no problem with this showing streaks after being properly zhooshed in.

This will also be very easy to travel with compared to a mini-spray bottle because it's so concentrated and does not count as a liquid or an aerosol.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the first and only dry shampoo I've had work with my hair! I've previously tried the Tresemme spray disaster, baby powder, and a few others.

This gives my hair volume and separates the strands. I apply at the roots and massage and my hair looks clean, and often better than the day I showered it. I can go two days dry shampooing now before I need a real shampoo.

The downsides are that it's fairly expensive, and the tip of the bottle requires vigorous shaking to get any product out (seriously vigorous, it could probably count as a workout!).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This and Klorane's dry shampoo with oat milk (non-aerosol) are currently my two favorite dry shampoos. I'm a long-time user of Psssssst! dry shampoo, but I switched over to non-aerosol dry shampoos because I got tired of the stinky spray smell.

PaP has a nice scent, it's a light floral but also a bit fruity (apricot?) at the same time. Hard to describe but it's a nice departure from the usual baby powdery scents. I don't have a problem with the dispenser. It's a one hole opening, but I find that it's easy to dispense and control. Just shake it onto your hair like you're using a salt shaker. I also like that I can massage this immediately into my scalp without waiting a few minutes and combing it out. It's easier to control than the Klorane non-aerosol bottle, which sometimes deposits too big a puff of product into my hair.

I have dark hair and I haven't had any problems with chalkiness or white spots so I do think PaP is suitable for all hair colors. Just be sure to massage carefully into your roots (I don't use this for the entire length of my hair as suggested, just my roots). I can't give this the full 5/5 rating however because 1) it doesn't deliver as much "grip" as the Klorane does; and 2) it's good at absorbing oil but not as good as delivering volume. For example, if I use the Klorane on 2nd day hair, it'll give me enough volume and thickness that I'll feel confident wearing my hair down. With the Bb PaP, not so much, because my roots will be flat so I'll have to put it up in a ponytail or bun to hide my hair's limpness. As for the product size, it appears much smaller than other dry shampoos but most aerosol cans are full of gas to propell the product into your hair so it's hard to say how much product you're getting even though the packaging looks bigger. PaP may look tiny but it's actually quite a bit of product (2 oz). For example, Klorane dry shampoo is 1.7 oz of product but the bottle is twice as tall as the Bumble & Bumble PaP container.

For reference, I have long (middle of back) wavy/straight fine, non-color treated hair with oily roots and dry ends.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by saarahkb4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The best dry shampoo I have ever, ever used. My scalp is so oily I can't even shower before bed without my hair looking lanky in the morning (it's very thin, very fine, and blonde). I desperately want to grow my hair out but I figured with daily heat styling it would never be a reality. Low and behold this! I massaged a bit into my scalp before bed two nights ago into my freshly styled hair. The day after I got compliments on my tussled style, today when I woke up my scalp was still not oily. Honestly I was shocked, and still had enough volume to pull off a bun!

It smells nice, is super easy to use and doesn't leave a white cast to the hair. It adds instant an lasting volume. I plan on using this constantly now. If I wanted to I could likely go another day but my styled curls aren't looking so hot. Best dry shampoo I have ever used! I will recommend this to everybody, and will come with me every god forsaken camping excursion my boyfriend guilts me into.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 7:57:00 PM More reviews by girlingoldboots

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is amazing. It's marketed as equal parts dry shampoo, style extender, and volume, and it does all those things very well. I have long highlighted hair, and was washing it every day due to my roots getting greasy. This was getting time consuming and I felt my hair needed a break, so I wanted to wash at least every other day. I was skeptical to try another dry shampoo, because every one that I used in the past just left residue and my hair weighed down.

To use, I sprinkled on my roots, (the directions say to massage like you would a shampoo) and just combed my hair out. I used this while traveling last week-I didn't have any hot tools with me, and my hair looked decent, and actually styled. In the past it would have been greasy and limp.

The main ingredients are corn starch, tapioca starch, oat kernel flour, and silica.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by allisonb93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells so much better than spray dry shampoos! It doesn't leave a white cast in hair, and I have black hair! Love the texture and volume it gives, great to revive a blowout!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by storybookheroine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I didn't put this under shampoo or styling products as technically it's marketed as both. I love Bumble and Bumble and most of my hair products come from them (I don't use a ton of styling stuff but the hairdressers invisible oil and brilliantine make the cut as well as Surf Spray) so when I saw they had a new dry shampoo (did not like the other spray one at all) I wanted to test it out. I have long, very thick hair. If I had to wash it and mess with it every day I'd not be a happy camper, plus the length lends itself to the roots getting oiler faster. So me and dry shampoo go back. I've used cornstarch, baby powder, tried various spray shampoos and settled on OB's Pronto Dry Shampoo in powder form (spray products and me never mix on the dry shampoo front). It worked well enough and the smell was nice enough. I did find the applicator could over apply quite easily and I have had issues with the powder drying out my scalp. I don't know if this is a change in me or a change in maybe some of the ingredients but it has made me not like it as much and sometimes caused dryness on my scalp, good times =(. So Bumble and Bumble sent me an email and I grabbed a good code for extras and ordered away. It is slightly more expensive per ounce than the OB but the applicator, a small hole in the top, dispenses less product than the OB which I think will help with "spillage" or too much coming out too fast so I guess my usage would be probably about the same length of time per the BB versus the large size OB. Speaking of size, I like the way they did the bottle. It's smaller, rounder and more travel friendly, plus the cap screws on so you can toss it in a bag or in your purse which I would not do with the OB.
As for the product it does exactly what it says. This morning my hair looked like @ss and I thought what better time than now (somehow I washed it but it looked horrible and oily this morning), I mean beyond bad to the point where I wondered if I messed up my products. I used the powder as it said, at the roots and then massage as you would a regular shampoo. Immediately I noticed a huge improvement in the weird mystery oil issue and it gave my hair a bit of grip, grit or texture. I ran a brush through it to get the powder fully dispersed and looked in the mirror. Somehow I look like I just got out of the hairdressers! Well that's a big win! It controlled oil that normally would have me running to rewash and gave me style as well! Totally no brainer for me as to what my new dry shampoo is going to be! It does have a very faint pleasant smell that I can't put my finger on but I would say it is clean and possibly a little floral. Honestly it smells like I just came from the hairdresser. I love this product and will repurchase! I bought through BB online because its only there now and they have good sample codes but I am sure Sephora will be selling it within a month or so. I highly recommend it and on a side note it gives you great and amazing body! I read on the package (or maybe it was the website) that is adds volume to thin hair as well. Overall I'm very happy to have a product that will refresh my style and if I really mess up clean it up and restyle it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No