July 28, 2014 | 1973 users online

Gels/Soaps - Verve Natural Deodorant Bar Soap

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by DJCupcakes

I had this in the Unscented variety (teal box). I bought it from Whole Foods after reading online that it was a more natural and vegan version of Dove bar. Mind, it's been quite a few years since I've used a Dove bar, but the idea appealed to me in a simplistic, low-maintenance sort of way.

The soap itself is a simple white bar with the brand logo embossed on the top. The bar is roughly the same size as a Dove bar. It lathers well, even in hard water. There is absolutely no scent at all. It cleanses well - I used this both on my body and on my face, and I found it perfectly adequate to remove sweat, oil, and non-waterproof makeup. It rinses cleanly. It certainly didn't leave a moisturized feeling as the package would claim, but it also didn't leave my skin dry or tight. It felt clean and neutral.

My problem with this is that something in it did not agree with my skin. I don't see anything on the ingredients list that would alarm me, but after using up an entire bar (took about 2 months with daily use on both face and body), my skin did not look good. My face had more clogged pores than usual and also looked dull. My body, which is not acne-prone at all, was sporting a few very small (but still unusual) breakouts on my shoulders, chest, and upper back, and the keratosis pilaris that my upper arms and thighs sometimes deal with seemed aggravated. These symptoms lead me to think that it was leaving some sort of a film on my skin that I couldn't see or even feel, but that prevented my pores from clearing themselves out. Once the bar was gone and I switched to other products for cleansing, the issues began to resolve themselves almost immediately.

Overall, the soap performed well, but didn't play nicely with my skin. If you're not prone to clogginess of the pores in any way at all, I would recommend giving this a shot for basic cleansing, as it is inexpensive and can be used all over.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in the invigorating scent and it is green in color and packaging. It's shea butter- based which my skin loves and smells like a smoother Irish Springs, which was beloved by the men in my family. The scent just embodies my idea of a clean soapy scent. The soap itself produces a creamy lather and rinses clean without drying out my fickle skin or making me itchy. I have used it in the acne prone areas of my back and chest with no problems and I like that it isn't loaded with too many chemicals. It is cheap too and I like how the scent lingers lightly on my skin and bathroom. I found this at my local Wholefoods and I believe they have two other scents, including an unscented version. I am looking forward to buying the packs now. Update: Currently bought the original soap version and like it just as much, however I detect very little fragrance. It cleans well and doesn't dry out my skin.