Essie Fiji

3.5

on 3/29/2015 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have a real love-hate relationship with this product. Lets start with the pros:

1) Multi-colour: This specific colour is advertised as being "an opaque creamy pale pink." While I agree with that, it DOES look white in some light, cream in others, and a chalky-dusty light pink in some. Personally I have no problem with this, but it makes deciding if the colour is right for your skin tone very very hard. I kind of like that this is having an identity crisis. Also, the colour is very opaque once it is completely applied.

2) Applicator: I feel like this product needs a thin brush applicator which is exactly what you get. It makes it easier to apply the product as more of it gets on the nail verses the surrounding skin.

3)Lasting power: Lasted on my nails for about 4 days which is not bad at all.

Unfortunately those are all the pros...now for the cons:

1)Formula: who let this go to mass production??? WHO? This formula stinks. And yes, I have tried the matte coat method. It takes about 4-5 layers of polish to "perfect" the colour...so that's over 3 hours of my day gone just applying polish.

2)Price: I don't want to pay $10 CAD for a nail polish...but for some reason I did (It was on sale for $6 plus I had a $2 coupon)

3)Over-hyped: I love me a nail polish that everyone adores, in fact I search for recommendations all the time. This product is just all talk no game. Maybe Essie has reformulated? Either way, it stinks.

4)Look: I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel like your hands need to be in top condition to wear this polish. I went out into the harsh winter-cold without any moisturiser on my hands, the nail polish made my hands look about 50 years older than they are. Yes, the skin in to blame, but the polish acted as a catalyst to make them look even worse (some nail polishes just make your hands look flawless 24/7...I'm talking to you JOE FRESH- Faded Violet)

5) Formula: It's just THAT bad...I had to say it twice.

Overall: I'm glad I have this as I have nothing else like this in my collection...but I'm not repurchasing.

on 1/14/2015 5:25:00 PM

My all time favourite nail polish colour, I have been wearing it for at least a year. Since it takes soooo many coats for the colour to look that pastel pink I found it chips within the next day so it wasn't worth all the time you put in. I found a Sally Hansen nailpolish that still takes three coats but doesn't chip as easy and the colour is almost identical. It's the complete salon manicure line in pink a card!

on 12/18/2014 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Fiji is gorgeous- but it has too many drawbacks to maintain its hype.

Yes, it's the most beautiful pastel pink in the world. I admit that.

BUT: the formula is streaky as heck, the polish looks yellowy after a few days on my nails with a top coat over it? Like, ew. It's Seche Vite, supposed to be guaranteed not to yellow! It also takes like 4 coats for real opacity and I am not about waiting 3 hours for my nails to dry, no thank you.

Pass on this one. The search for the perfect pastel pink polish is still on.

on 12/18/2014 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I love the colour of this and as any light coloured polish does, it looks stunning against medium-dark skintones, however it is something of a nightmare to work with!

This polish applies streaky and thus takes 3 coats to become even and opaque, meaning that with a base coat and top coat it takes FOREVER to apply and is still susceptible to chipping should I accidentally let something touch my nails.

Such a beautiful colour but such a shame that the formula is so difficult to work with. I would only recommend this to those who have LOTS of patience.

on 10/5/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a very flat color without any dimension. It does not look good or sophisticated. My skin has cool undertones, this looks white on me, like I painted my hands with a tipp-ex. I hate this color. It might suit someone with warmer skin tone.

on 8/26/2014 8:27:00 AM

Thought i would love this but it takes 3 coats to get an even finish. Also the colour is a bit too chalky; it would be nicer if it had a hint of shimmer to stop it being so flat. Shame as i have a few other essie polishes that i love. I have Ballet slippers and Mademoiselle which i prefer as i can use only one or two coats only and they seem to look more classy.

on 8/23/2014 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was slightly disappointed in this product. The color looks beautiful in the bottle. It is a light creamy pink. However, the application is streaky and it takes me 3 coats to achieve an opaque look. I have yet to find a pink I like as much as this one, so I'm willing to put a little more effort into it as the end product is very pretty.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I absolutely love this color, but always had such a hard time applying it. It almost made it not worth putting on because it was so difficult and annoying. HOWEVER, I recently used a clean OPI brush and it made applying fiji so much easier! I highly suggest trying this out, just make sure you clean the OPI brush really well so none of the old color mixes in with fiji. I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this but I figured I would throw it out there just in case!

on 7/29/2014 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I heard you could get a bad bottle or great bottle of this. I think I have a good bottle. It's not super streaky or goopy like some I have heard. It's streaky, but nothing horrid. It takes 3 coats to even out and you need the top coat to make it all completely even.

It's a pale milky pink color that leans warm. It's perfect for summer and spring. It will make you look tanner and it looks chic.

on 6/28/2014 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I just purchased my 2nd bottle of this review after finishing my first one like a yr ago, IDK how I went that long without thinking about it! It is def one of my faves from essie's range of np. This color is the face of elegance, if it had a face of course. It's a baby milky pink, I think of it as a white color mixed w a few drops of pink. IT's Ahhh-mazing with a ta, it really pops. But this is a universal stunner;) Whenever I look at my nails I see myself at the beach rubbing my feet in the finesand, I see myself sunning myself somewhere fancy overseas like St. Tropez, I remember long summer nights w/ a minty mojito in hand. I have to stop myself from asking people to hold my bag bc I feel like a mil with my toes and finger manicured in this shade of sophistication :D I do not share the sentiments others have regarding the formula. I actually feel that with this second bottle the formula is actually better. It steaks a bit with first coat but thats normal since this color is a pastel. By the second coat, its def opaque enough, unless you're using microscope vision. I use a OPI natural base coat underneath, so that def helps. It's always my go-to shade for going out as well, because it makes you look good, which is crazy since its just a nail polish. It also helps you get away with wearing bright colors and you won't have to worry about it clashing with nails too. One of my HG for nails for sure. Def try it out

Top Rated Essie Products