NARS Eye Paint in Transvaal

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have a total of 3 of these Eye Paints and love them. This one...not so much. The others are creamier and build up nicely without flaking. Transvaal took 3 coats to get a dense line on my top lash line. I use these only as eyeliner not shadow.

The color of this does not match the color in the pot after it dries down. It lightens and turns a strange dusty blue that I do not like with my green eyes. In the pot I expected it to be a medium steel gray with not as much blue.

I am not sure why the different colors wear so differently. The other colors I have Tatar, Snake Eyes and Mesopotamia are all very true to color in the pot and wear like iron even without eye primer. I thought at first it was because Tranvaal was matte finish but so is Mesopotamia and they could not be more different in their wear and color density.

NARS is always a bit hit or miss with me. Either I love it or hate it...frequently the colors oxidize on me which I don't have that problem with other brands.

So back to looking for a medium gray gel/cream liner.

on 11/7/2013 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Great product! This is a lovely muted shade of grey which looks far softer on me than black. (I'm blonde with fair skin and light eyes.) Have only used the eye paint as a liner. Its consistency is that of a cream rather than a gel like Bobbi Brown for example.

I might also mention that the eye paint wears very well. It doesn't fade nor does it flake even when worn for 12-14 hours straight.

Yes it's expensive but Nars is a quality high end brand. I will definitely buy again.

on 9/22/2013 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I've been on the search for a grey liner that's not blue, or black, or purple. This is it. Transvaal is a true grey that leans the tiniest bit blue on the lid. The product comes in the usual jar packaging, but the opening of this one allows easy access to the liner. The texture is incredibly soft and creamy, which makes it easy to pick up on the brush and apply. The look is more that of an opaque cream, but it remains true to color--it doesn't go lighter or darker on the skin. It dries quickly (although not as quickly as BB gel), so you do need to work quickly, but once it's set, it's on for the day. If you overapply, it can be lightened up a bit with a brush (I used my trusty MAC 219, which worked well). Although the staying power is great, it comes off easily with a two-phase eye makeup remover. We'll see if this will be a liner that dries out quickly, and I'd prefer a cream formula to a gel, but for now, this is a winner. I would repurchase.