November 28, 2014 | 915 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Neutrogena - Norwegian Formula Hand Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2014 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

There are many more effective products about. This one does not absorb very quickly and leaves a slight layer of grease on my hands. I expected the layer of grease to do wonders for my cuticles- WRONG!
In my frustration I even tried using it on my heels- to minimal benefit.
I suspect this functions more as a crude-ish barrier cream to prevent moisture leaving your hands. It does not seem to add moisture to the skin.
The tube system is functional with good control. The product is lightly scented and non irritating.
Not worth the effort.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a longtime fave for work. I never tried the fragrance-free version, I particularly like the scented one (a bit medicinal, reminds me of bandaids & antibiotic ointment, lol, which disappears after application). Because I've been using this cream for over half of my lifetime, the scent has become nostalgic to me. I notice it's harder to find the regular version in stores these days compared to the fragrance-free type.

This cream is always a lifesaver for me at work - I've always had full-time desk jobs, shuffling paper constantly. If my hands feel dry, they're uncomfortable & it's difficult to handle paper properly. If I put on any other lotion or cream, my hands are too greasy & slippery to write. With a busy job I don't have time to wait for it to sink in, only to end up feeling dry again after it does. Other brands are great for home, but at work they always failed.

This cream works best after washing hands. It keeps the moisture in the skin & my hands feel comfortable & normal all day, even if I wash again later. For me it fails to moisturize adequately if applied straight to dry skin without some dampness. Glycerin works best in the presence of moisture, so applying it to dry skin during dry, parched winter won't work at all - I wasted time trying other products until I figured it out & came back to this. The tiniest smidge is all that's needed (not even pea size, more like a small sunflower seed), more would just be excess. This amount absorbs into hands instantly & I can return to work immediately with a lasting grip for paperwork.

Love the continued low price over the years. This staple is a real gem & I hope Neutrogena never scraps it. The only thing it's missing is a flip-open cap (& eliminate the parabens).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2014 11:51:00 AM More reviews by fabmac1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the one with the fragrance. It has a nice clean, fresh scent. Not at all bothersome. It's really refreshing actually. I have really dry chapped skin on my thumbs... it's a combo of eczema and a bad habit of picking at it. I don't use this cream for all over my hands, just more targeted areas and it works great for it! I love the texture of the cream. It does take a while to work into the skin, but i don't mind it at all. My only complaint is that I wish it came with a flip cap rather than a screw on cap. I always find myself fumbling around with it when putting the cap back on lol. All and all, great product and would definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by lifeinfuschia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a decent hand cream, but it's not good for extreme dryness. I prefer more creamy textures, and this has a silicone like feel to it. It made my hands very soft but it didn't completely relieve the dryness. Overall a good cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by mzjade22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The last time I got a tattoo, the shop was out of the after care cream they give out, but said to just find a thick unscented lotion, and it will do the trick. This cream healed my tattoo perfectly, but its also great in the winter for my hands. It used to be that I could never put enough lotion on my hands, they would always be dry and uncomfortable. This stuff is excellent for winter hands/skin. Its not greasy, odorless, and one application takes care of everything.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by jcbalint

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best hand cream ever! I can't recall when I've bought any other in the past 15 years. The only time I have used others recently has been when I received them as a gift (ie good quality).
In comparison to the Norwegian, the other creams are thin and watery, and do not provide any lasting hydration, moisture or softness. I use the Norwegian only at night, last thing before going to bed, and wake up with soft, moisturised hands that last all day, without having to constantly re-apply (pet hate!).

Oh, and by massaging the cream really well into the nails & the cuticles, over time it eliminates dry, raggedy & spilt cuticles, & saves you having to use a separate cuticle oil, etc.

There is a fragrance free version, for those who prefer it. Both work equally well, IMHO.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by cblazer973

Eh. That's really the only thing I can think of when I think of this hand cream. I loved my Victoria's Secret hand cream but wanted something smaller and heavier for traveling since I hate super dry skin especially on my hands. I usually apply this before bed since it now sits on my bedside table but when I apply it, it takes a good 5 minutes for it to really sink in. And then I don't feel like I've even done anything. I like this around my cuticles but even then it's a pain to get it to sink in. I won't repurchase, off to find a new, inexpensive hand cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 11:31:00 PM More reviews by jamieisjewish

I use this on my face as a preventative measure because my skin gets dry and chapped in winter. My face has become so soft since I started using it. I never knew that my skin needed moisture so much. I use it twice daily. I am so sad that I did not know how much my skin needed this before recently. I had previously had a lot of clogged pores/blemishes/pimples. Over the years, they resulted in scars and large pores that maybe only I notice. But since I started using this, the clogging and pimples almost completely stopped happening or began to heal quickly, sometimes literally overnight. I had misplaced it for about 2 days in the 2 months that I have been using this and I started noticing the skin problems coming back. I have felt so much more confident about my skin with this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by fallfromgrace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim because I noticed my hands were getting very dry from the start of winter and because it was sale. Regular price was 9.99 Canadian and I got it for something like 5.99. Thinking back, that is a great price for such a good product. I went back to the Rexall where I bought it to pick up more at the sale price but they were all gone. I would pay full price but it's been a while and this product has not been re-stocked.

In terms of the product, it comes in a small tube so it's easy to pop into a purse. The actual product looks a bit like vaseline but it's not oily or greasy. I use a dab for each hand, only applying to the back of my hands and knuckles where my skin is most dry. When you start rubbing it into your skin, the cream turns white. It takes a little bit of work but keep rubbing it and it eventually absorbs into the skin. There's no fragrance and leaves no sheen either. If you use a little and don't notice much of a difference, use a bit more. When I use it I notice a difference in the look and feel of my skin right away! Pretty amazing!

I'm not keen on the price so I gave it 3/5. I'm not very particular about the packaging so I gave that 5/5 but I suppose there could be a better packaging method to use so that you can use all the cream. I plan on cutting my tube open. Overall, I gave it a 4/5, 1 lippie deduction for the cost. This product really does work for dry hands so I would definitely give it a try, particularly in the winter months.

P.S. I've even tried using it on my lips. I think it's ok but honestly, I unconsciously lick my lips way too much that when I get cracked lips it takes a little while to heal. So, I can't say that this product works any better on my lips than a lip product specifically for dry lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Peanutbutterbaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best hand cream I've ever used. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist as I get extremely severe dermatitis/eczema (cracked and bleeding palms and fingers). This soothes my hands instantly and when I use it regularly my hands are in good shape. So cheap too!