October 30, 2014 | 1677 users online

Eye Shadow - LORAC - Dazzling Dozen Eyeshadow Collection

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Being the shadow horder that I am when I saw this set at Ulta last fall I had to have it. This was my first (and last) purchase of Lorac shadows. I just wasn't impressed. The palettes, Pro Unzipped etc. always get so much love so I figured the shadows would be amazing. Wrong. They're average. These shadows are so soft they just end up being powdery. They do blend well, almost too well, and some of them sheer out to nearly nothing. The shades are all dupable and none of them are very unique. The other day I was using one of the brown shades and turned the little pot over to check the shade name and the shadow plopped right out of the pan onto my bathroom counter. This might be a great set for those who don't own lots of shadows because you could create several looks with it as it does include some neutrals, some darker smokey colors and a couple brights. But if you already have a large collection this set is pretty redundant, also as I mentioned earlier, quality is just so so. I wish I could have my $35 back! Repurchase? No way.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by cwabby

What a fabulous set! This is one of my best purchases in terms of great value, amazing quality and fantastic colours. I already had the Lorac pro palette and I feel like some shades are very similar to the pro palette. But I don't mind because those are my favourite shades so will be good to have backups.

The quality of the shadows is the same as the pro palette - so soft and buttery, amazing color payoff and they blend into each other like a dream. The lorac mattes especially, are super impressive. Just the quality of them is unlike any other mattes i've tried before. Not powdery at all, less fallout than the shimmer shades and great pigmentation.

Lovely colour selection in this set too. The navy blue shade called "sapphire" is just the prettiest deep blue colour. Also starlight, luxury and dazzle are super glitter shades but not at all like the urban decay glitter eyeshadows that have so much fallout.

One major con though is that the shadows are so soft and that makes them easy to break. I already broke 'luxury' when nudged it against a table. None of my other eyeshadows would break that easily. However my lorac pro shadows have been fine so maybe they are just better pressed.

So in summary, this is definitely worth purchasing :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The Dazzling Dozen collection from LORAC is a lot of very good things, and not a lot of bad ones. Firstly, it is a set from 12 full sized eyeshadows for $35 from Ulta. $35! That's 3 bucks a shadow. How can you beat that?

Note: this is NOT a palette. The cardboard package these come in is just a shiny box with an insert that corrals your 12 individual screw-top compacts together so they look nice before you buy them. I immediately separated them from their homes and put them in a nice Z-palette. More on depotting in a moment.

This collection includes (and in the first picture, they are in this order)
Au Natural, a matte light beige with innumerable dupes
Bronze, lighter than MAC's Bronze
Celebutante, turquoise/teal with a bit of a pearl finish
Dazzle, blackened plum with purple sparkle, reminds me of MAC's Beauty Marked
Gleam, a pink champagne shimmer. Pinker than UD's Sin
Luxury, a dark dark brown with a little copper sparkle. When I used it I didn't see any sparkle transfer to the lid
Mango, a ballet pink matte. Needed a few layers to show well.
Sapphire, a medium-dark matte blue. Very soft and pigmented and goes beautifully with silvers.
Serenity, a soft gold shimmer
Shimmer, a white frosty shimmer
Smokin', a light brown/tan matte
Starlight, a dark blue-black pearl

They are all of them lovely shadows and not powdery or chalky. They blend easily and are quite soft, so using them kicks up a bit of extra in the pan. I would recommend that when applying Sapphire or any of the other dark/bright colours you blow off your brush before applying as it immediately left a bunch of blue freckles on my upper cheek.

Regarding depotting: extremely easy compared to say Urban Decay, and just above MAC in ease. Unscrew the top, then separate the bottom from the plastic around the pan with a knife or a sturdy pointy object. That step was the toughest for me as some of them popped right apart when I applied upward pressure around the screwtop lines, but some were not so easily appeased. You will notice that the bottom of the plastic part surrounding the metal pan has longer sides than usual, so the normal method of a hair straightener or a flat iron won't help you here. I used one of those long candle lighters and held the plastic with tweezers so I would not burn the crap out of my fingers. ****You only need to hold the flame there for 5-6 seconds so don't overcook it.**** Afterward, flip the thing over so that the eyeshadow pan is face down on something like the handy cardboard insert, then push on the bottom of the plastic part with the tweezers. I did a box formation, one indentation on each of the four sides. You will hear the pan pop out on each side as you do this. Poke the plastic to see if the pan came all the way out, flip it over, and add your magnet and the label if you like. I sliced down the labels so that they fit the pan and magnet. Presto!

It is a great deal (THREE DOLLARS AN EYESHADOW!) and unless you have a lot of LORAC's palettes or singles already, you absolutely need this in your life!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No