January 30, 2015 | 1078 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - RESIST C15 Super Booster

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Yawn: another Vitamin C miracle snake oil !!!
I didn't expect much to begin with but PC has a good return policy from my previous experience. and so I placed one in my order.
In fact, they made a mistake and end up sending me 2 for the price of 1.

I've been using it under my night cream for a couple of months now, and recently I found my foundation looks heavy & rather unnatural looking (for a man). In fact, I still used the same fdn. routine as usual, what happed was my skin has got much better that a tinted moisturizer will do, and no concealer. The only difference is using this product and Forma treatment from the dermatologist. But I gave credit to this product because Forma is just a firming treatment, it does not brighten or lighten dark spots.
I have 2 dark spots on my lower lip that looks like its dotted on by eyebrow pencil, now it is more like a light taupe colour.
I like this more than the Ester C-15 by Perricone, and the price is easier to swallow too.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by purplerose95

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The C15 booster is a holy grail product! I've been using this serum since the beginning of August and I am on my third bottle! The price is steep, however, using discount codes allows me to purchase it. I refrigerate my bottle because it slows down oxidation. My second bottle was still clear after 2 1/2 months, usually the time when it turns yellow, orange, and then brown rendering it useless. The C15 booster smells like hot dog, when you refrigerate it, the smell goes away. I use 4-5 drops of the serum every night, after cleansing my face with Paula's Choice hydralight and moisture boost or CeraVe foaming.

Now, on to the performance of the serum. Back in August, I had many acne scars which wouldn't budge after several months of them being present. After using the serum for a few months, I noticed the acne scars fading. To accelerate the results, I began to use the serum straight after washing my face. I used to use it after applying the Hada Labo arbutin lotion (aka toner) but I guess using it slowed down the effect of the C15. Now, many acne scars have faded! My face looks very clear and some people ask me what I do to my skin to make it look that way. I also had a tanned forehead and chin from sun damage, the hyper-pigmented areas have lightened up making my skin look more even. Now when I get any pimples, I'm not scared of their scar because I know my C15 booster will fade them quickly.

I think most people will benefit from using antioxidant serums. Antioxidants can boost your sunscreen's protectiveness. You must wear sunscreen when you're out or else your efforts will be futile. I use the Biore uv watery essence sunscreen spf 50 pa +++ and apply 1/4 tsp to get the advertised spf 50 and pa +++.

I plan to use the C15 booster for as long as I can :D

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by LTcurlygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Love this! I really see a difference in the clarity of my skin with regular use. I use this straight up in the morning before moisturizer...I don;t mix with another product/serum like it states to do in the instructions. It does have a smell to it like some other vitamin C products (faintly like hot dogs). And the packaging is not the best as there is some leakage sometimes off the top when dispensing the product, but all and all I'm pretty happy with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by summerbrow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Due to the price of this, I only got a reduced size, sort of like a luxury sample containing enough to last me about a month. After about a weeks use I noticed my skin was getting patchy and uneven. I discontinued and my skin cleared up and went back to normal. I then tried two more times to use it for a week or so, but again my skin went patchy. It didn't break me out, it just messed with my skin's balance in a way that made it look less healthy.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2014 9:02:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For the first 3 months I thought I would be agreeing with the tonne of people that said this isn't great, but then I changed how I used it and instantly my skin is brighter with my post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and melasma fading more each day.

Instead of using it as a booster with other serums and the products from the resist line, I have started applying it straight on to my skin. A lot of people don't do this because it's quite tacky, but I find it absorbs into my skin after a few minutes no problem.

Originally I was mixing it in with the resist retinol serum and getting no results. Now at night I apply PC 8% AHA gel, wait 15mins, apply C15,wait at least 5 mins before following with the retinol serum and moisturiser. I have also started using in the morning straight after cleansing, again waiting at least 5mins before applying the resist brightening treatment, mosituriser, sunscreen then make up.

I read an article recently that suggested that ascorbic acid and niacinamide can reduce the efficacy of each other. I don't know if its true but it prompted me to change the way I use it and instantly saw results that are ongoing and very positive.

I keep this in a dark cabinet, but recommend refrigerating it as there is more product in this little bottle than I expected and it is likely to go off before I use it all, even now I'm using 3 drops twice a day.

So if you are not seeing positive results after a few weeks, try applying more frequently by itself so it can do its own thing, and don't be too conservative as this does go off and you want to maximise the value.

Edit Dec 27: although this HG product absolutely deserves 5 lippies, the packaging is very problematic. After reading so much feedback on breakages I have been super careful, but last night I bumped it and it rolled over into the sink and broke, in what would only be a few inches roll at most. This would not have happened if the bottle was not round and the glass so flimsy, although I accept the PC verdict that VitC is better in glass. The dropper also completely shattered inside the vessel rendering everything useless and unsalvagable. Also the removable dropper obviously means that the product is exposed to air each time you use it, a no-no for unstable VitC and antioxidant ingredients (this is also a factor Paula rates products down for so I'm surprised she went with this design herself). I feel this is an oversight from Paula that can be fixed easily by using a pump dispenser in more squared off sturdy glass container. The product was turning after nearly 5 months of use anyway but this kind of tragedy should not happen at all. Given the price and quality of this serum, the packaging is very problematic and too easily broken/spoiled, so I am sincerely sad to be knocking off a lippy. Off to repurchase right now!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This serum in a dropper bottle has a lightweight consistency. I went through two bottles of this and noticed no improvement in my skin even when using twice a day. When I switched to Dr Loretta's vitamin C serum, my skin brightened within a week.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2014 3:57:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! Since I started using Paula's Choice products, my hyper pigmentation has decreased to the point that I can cover it with tinted moisturizer rather than full coverage foundation. I can't single out a specific product, since I bought several at the same time but I'm sure the C15 worked! I find it's easier to use when mixed with one of her serums. I mix 4 drops of this into an antioxidant serum in the morning. I've already bought this three times and I don't foresee switching to a new vitamin C product anytime soon!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by lushlife505

Made my skin greasy. Did not seem very potent if it was then it was not very stable. Oxidized and turned orange quickly after purchasing much faster than any other vit. C serum I have tried. I also broke out and skin was not as bright. I saw no positive results from this at all.
My diy serum is far better than this and quickly cleared up the dullness and marks this created. Also my diy serum w/o vit E stays fresh longer. I will no longer purchase any vit c serums as I am having better results with my homemade serum instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by etain_anders

This is crazy expensive enough that I only bought the sample and I am trying out other vitamin C serums to avoid repurchasing. That said, the only thing I dislike about it is the price. The serum itself is fantastic. I can't comment on how it works on its own, but with Lacura's Q10 nightcream it is fantastic. I have very fine lines below my eyes, and a few weeks of mixing this serum with the Lacura and applying it and those lines disappear! However, they came back once I ran out of the serum. I'm currently trying cheaper alternatives, but if I can't find anything, you better believe I'll go back to PC even if it is expensive.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2014 11:32:00 AM More reviews by yjanney

I love the DIY vitamin c serum that I make for myself. However, this serum really doesn't seem strong enough to do much. I got this as a free sample with my PC order, but there was enough to use almost daily for about 3 weeks. No irritation, but no results either. I'll stick to my homemade.