Paula's Choice RESIST C15 Super Booster

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 7/26/2015 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't know if this works because I could not get past the smell of this product which does not diminish over time. I am new to vitamin c products and so far the only one I have liked is the full size sample I got of Exuviance which is a powder you add to your moisturizer. It is exorbitantly priced so when I run out I am going to explore powdered vitamin c at whole foods.

on 7/19/2015 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 4 ($48 USD)
Packaging: 3
Buy again: Yes (But really I would say "maybe")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this serum about a month ago after I was noticing my skin was looking a little dull and lacklustre. Also, with the weather warming up here in Toronto, ON, I noticed my freckles were becoming darker and more numerous, so I got this in hopes of lightening them up just a little (I'm not so disillusioned to think that something will rid me of them entirely). For reference I am in my late 20s, asian, with NC30-ish olive, acne-prone skin.

Product:
This product is an antioxidant serum containing 15% Vitamin C, vitamin E, ferulic acid, and peptides. It says you can use it alone, or with your other serums/skincare to protect skin from environmental damage, and stimulate collagen production for smoother, brighter, and firmer skin.

It's a thin, almost watery, clear fluid. It has a slightly smokey smell, but it isn't altogether unpleasant - I just wear mine at night. It can have a slightly tacky or sticky feel if you use too much, so stick with the 2-4 drops for the face, rather than using several dropper-fuls as you might be tempted to use. I sometimes use it alone (focusing on any specific areas rather than full face) or with the Resist Ultra-Light antioxidant serum (for the full face).

Packaging:
This product comes in an orange glass dropper-style bottle. It has a special stopper in the neck of the bottle to prevent a lot of air coming in, which can oxidize the product (hence why some people experience the colour change) and ruin the effectiveness. After reading many reviews I decided to put a small amount of the product in an empty glass dropper bottle for my use and keep the rest in the fridge. This helps to keep the majority of the product fresher for longer, so you can actually use the whole bottle.

The dropper style dispensing, while a little tricky, is probably the best way to use this product since it's so thin and runny (A pump wouldn't work at all).

Results:
I don't use it every single day because I'm worried my skin will get used to it and then it won't work anymore, but I use it a few times a week. I've noticed that after a few uses my skin does look brighter and healthier, and it did help to fade post-inflammatory acne marks (along with sunscreen). I don't have wrinkles or anything yet, so I can't speak to the collagen boosting benefits.

I will note that initially when I got it I used a lot of product on bare skin, and I started to break out in numerous little tiny breakouts. When I cut back to a few drops, my skin got better and the breakouts stopped - so don't go overboard!

Final Thoughts:
It's a nice product to have, but not a necessity. If you aren't sure about buying it, you can always try the other serums that Paula has on her site - they are pretty good too, and until you're sure you want to spend the big bucks on this serum, they are worth the money and affordable, and user friendly. I will have to use up the rest of this product before I'm sure I want to repurchase.

on 7/19/2015 6:54:00 AM

Meh. I have used the entire sample and it has done nothing for my skin. The texture is a problem as it is hard to apply. It needs more slip, I don't want to manhandle my face to get an even application of product! Back to the lab Paula. Full disclosure- I used the Skinceuticals serum this product copied and I liked it even less! More expensive, God-awful aroma, and most damning- no beneficial effects. Perhaps some people don't respond to topical vitamin C because I have yet to experience any improvement in tone or texture from this product category after >10 years of trying.

on 7/3/2015 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

At first I balked at the price - $48 dollars is a lot for me to spend, and most of the Paula's Choice products cost less than this. But then I saw a similar product that SkinCeuticals offers for $162, and then this didn't seem so bad. The percentages of C, E, and ferulic acid are the same, and this one costs less.

The product can be used alone but the instructions say you can add it to another moisturizer. It does have a very light scent but to me it smells like crushed up vitamin C tablets, and nothing more offensive than that. If you add a masking fragrance to a product, you risk irritating the skin.

I am able to use this without irritation, but I don't use a ton of it at once. It is strong. I avoided it completely when I had a bad reaction to another product that contained menthol. You should sample it before buying if you have rosacea or eczema or any inflammatory condition, because it might be too much for you. The dropper makes it easy to overdose.

I use 3 or 4 drops, which is plenty. You really only need 1 or 2 drops. With regular use, I noticed my freckles fading and it seemed to improve texture.

I bought a second bottle because I did see improvement from the first bottle.

Another texture-improving product she has is RESIST Intensive Repair Cream. It's marketed to dry skin but makes a good night cream. Retinol is the active ingredient in that, and it only costs $29, so that might be an option for you if this product doesn't ring your bell.

I try not to go overboard applying several products to my face at once, because I can't. I don't use two retinol products together and I try not to use two acne-fighting products on the same day, etc. I don't use an AHA and a BHA on the same day. I'll use a cleanser, a toner, then a treatment or moisturizer. For daytime I use a sunscreen and foundation, but not applied over lots of creams. I save the moisturizers for night unless my skin feels dry or itchy, and my need for a gel or cream depends a lot on temperature and humidity.

on 6/18/2015 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, this product didn't do anything for me. It came in a nice bottle, but that's about it. It smelled horrible and I am 99.9% of the time not offended by smells in skincare products. It reminded me of the smell of a sewer. This did nothing for me and might as well been putting plain water on my face. Actually, just water alone would have been better. I used the Paula's Choice Resist line exclusively for 6 months. It just dried out my skin even more and made it look so dull. The items I used were: Resist C15 Super Booster, Resist Cellular Day Moisturizer with spf 25, Resist Non-Greasy Moisturizer, Resist Wrinkle Repair Retinol serum, Skin Perfecting 2% BHA, Resist Toner, Resist Cleanser, Resist Foundation, Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment 5% AHA, Resist Weekly Resurfacing Treatment 10% AHA. With all of this, I not only saw no results, my skin looked worse. I like to enjoy my skincare. That is huge for me. These products bored me. I ended up throwing what wasn't used up in the garbage after giving it a good 6 months. In summary, they were so boring and ineffective. Fortunately, I am using new (NON-Paula's Choice) products now that have made a huge difference. I am enjoying my skincare routine again!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Tried it, used up the whole bottle (twice-daily usage), got no results, either short-term or long-term. For me, this was an utter waste of money. Short-term, it functioned no better than a basic serum with no active ingredients (e.g., it was mildly hydrating...and that's about it); long-term, the formula oxidized/degraded a bit and I probably should have stopped using it about 3/4's of the way into the bottle.

Perhaps I'm not the target market as I have no acne scars or spots/pigmentation from sun damage or any other major concerns besides general anti-aging. That said, I was hoping that it would improve the overall elasticity/texture/tone of my skin, which it didn't do in any identifiable way. I also didn't get the sense that it was at least acting in a preventative/prophylactic fashion.

Despite my disappointing personal experience, I did recommend this stuff to my mom, who has tons of sun damage (used to have all day tanning sessions in the '80s-'90s and it shows, alas). Don't know if she purchased it, but she's prolly a better candidate for benefiting from a Vitamin C product.

For me personally, still looking for a Vitamin C product that's effective. It supposed to be a great anti-aging ingredient, but still haven't found one that's effective on my skin, let alone worth the money.

PROS:

-I've tried the DIY Vitamin C serum route before and despite having otherwise bulletproof skin, on at least two occasions developed mosquito bite-like welts on my skin (probably from powder that didn't fully dissolve even though I purchased cosmetics-grade, extra-fine Vitamin C powder online). C15 had no negative effects on my skin and in that regard, appears to be safe/well-formulated.

-May work well for people who have skin concerns that are a better fit for what Vit C promises to do. (Sun damage, hyper-pigmentation, scarring.)

-Mildy hydrating (but not worth $48 for 0.67oz of product).

CONS:

-Very expensive (but not as much as other Vit C products out there).

-Did nothing for *my* skin. Maybe 10-20 years from now (I'm 38), this will be a great product for me. For now? This is a big nope. In all fairness, in terms of pigmentation/spots, my skin age (according to a computer-based imaging test performed by SK-II a few months ago) in this area is 22, and 28 overall. I don't really have a specific skincare concern that can be helped in a dramatic way by a product like this; that said, to repeat what I wrote above, I was at least hoping for some kind of overall improvement.

-To the best of my knowledge, strictly an online/direct order product, which makes returns a PITA, especially since I'm in a dense urban area and used to making returns in person. For *me* personally, the Paula's Choice line is becoming less and less of an overall bargain and is increasingly not worth the risk/hassle of ordering online. Too bad, because I remember when the brand used to feel like one of the most reasonably priced choices out there. Not so much anymore :(.

on 5/25/2015 5:17:00 AM

Helps giving a radiant on my face. The smell is a bit off but whatevs this product is good.

on 4/9/2015 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This gave me one of the worst contact dermatitis reactions of my life. What's worse is I have no idea what the offender was, but I'm guessing either the Ascorbic or Ferulic acid as I had never used them before. I can use SAP and MAP without issue, so I suppose I will be sticking with them from now on.

on 3/23/2015 2:55:00 PM

This product made my face feel like I had the worst sunburn ever. It was swollen and red for 3 days after the only time I ever used it. NEVER again. I am going back to Murads C products.

on 3/21/2015 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm a believer, this stuff rocks and my skin has never looked better. I have used several C serums and made my own. It is a bit pricey, about on par with Ole Henricksen Truth Serum, but not nearly as spendy as Skinceuticals. Paulas Choice C15 is quite thin and watery compared to other C serums, but it does such a great job it can be overlooked. My skin is much brighter, smoother, and healthy looking. I apply daily in the morning before sunscreen and after a few weeks my skin looks dramatically better. I will definitely repurchase this.

Popular Treatments (Face)