Origins Smarty Plants CC SPF 20

4.3

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 4, Oxybenzone 3.5. Inactive: Water\Aqua\Eau, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Pentylene Glycol, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Cinnamomum Camphora (Camphor) Bark Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Magnolia Acuminata Flower Extract, Iris Pallida Root Extract, Rosa Damascena Extract, Citral, Linalool, Limonene, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Sapindus Mukurossi Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Castanea Sativa (Chestnut) Seed Extract, Salicylic Acid, Cholesterol, Sucrose, Caffeine, Arginine, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Isopropyl Myristate, Lecithin, Polyquaternium-51, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Squalane, Sodium PCA, Urea, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Galactoarabinan, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Citric Acid, Phospholipids, Trehalose, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol. [ /- ]Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

on 2/16/2015 3:18:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have an oily t-zone and I find that most bb creams, cc creams and tinted moisturisers make my skin very greasy. Smarty plants is the only one I've found that doesn't make my skin super oily. It does make my skin more oily though, which makes it more ideal for me to use in the winter. I often mix it with my moisturiser before applying though. I have the lightest shade and it sinks into my skin nicely and evens out my skin tone. It gives me minimum coverage, which I like, and I use face power on top. The packaging is sleek, which makes it easy for me to take on trips. However, it does have a very strong scent. If it controlled shine, I'd give it five lippies.

Paula Begoun does not recommend the use of this cc cream, but I ignore that as I like it too much not to use it.

on 12/24/2014 1:01:00 AM

This is my new HG tinted moisturizer. It is very light and non-greasy, adds moisture and makes my skin look radiant, but nobody would ever guess that I have anything on my face. The med-light formula works perfectly on my NC20 skintone. Sunblock ingredients often causes a burning sensation for me, but this doesn't at all, and it has an SPF of 20. I'm not sure if it will actually improve my skin like a treatment, but I wear it for protection and subtle coverage, and am thrilled with it for that purpose. For comparison, I also love Laura Mercier's TM, which is different-thicker and heavier coverage, less moisturizing, and much more like foundation. I cannot goop the LM on for extra SPF or it will look cakey. Smarty Plants is more natural looking. I can put on a lot of it when I know I'll be out in the sun, without the worry that it will look gobbed on. Since I can't apply the LM generously, I always worry that I don't have enough on to give me a true SPF 20.

on 11/2/2014 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is not bad! My face looks healthy, even, glowy. Not a lot of coverage but that is to be expected. It smells great, like many origins products. It is light & not hard to blend.

I wouldn't say it's a true CC cream. More like a tinted moisturizer.

I had a sample but I'd definitely wouldn't mind trying it again.

on 8/15/2014 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as a sample, which includes the light to medium and the medium to dark.

Color: I'm Asian, and typically fair skinned, so my undertones tend to be yellow-ish. However right now I'm tan, so the light to medium was too light and the medium to dark was too dark. Mixed together, the color was o.k, but I wouldn't purchase the product if I had to buy two to mix together. Also, I could tell that the light to medium wouldn't even suit my fair skin in the winter because it's too pink toned. The medium to dark can kind of come off orange-ish as well, so unless this matches your skin tone perfectly, you have to be careful and watch out for streakiness.

Texture: I really liked the texture of this cream as it is light for a CC cream and therefore doesn't feel too heavy on your face like a foundation. However, this does mean that you sacrifice coverage, so it's a give and take. I didn't find it greasy, and after my skin absorbed it, my skin feels pretty smooth. As a bonus, it smells awesome! I love SPF products that have that citrus-y smell.

Does it do what it says it will: As I only got a sample, it's hard to tell. I did not think that it instantly color corrected my skin. To me, this product worked more as a tinted moisturizer than a CC cream. However, its promises to neutralize things that cause skin damage over time therefore make you look younger might be worthwhile to try the product over a longer run.

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I have tried all types of CC creams, this one is the only one that had the right shade for me (light-medium) and didn't dry out my skin or enhance fine lines. It goes on smoothly, doesn't blotch, isn't shiny, greasy or chalky. Has a nice SPF. I use it daily when I leave the house. If your looking for something that covers skin problems, this isn't for you. If you just want to look refreshed and not made up-then this is what your looking for. I use regular foundation when I go out socially.

on 2/27/2014 1:41:00 PM

I purchased this after trying the tester and comparing it to the Smashbox CC cream. Origins Smarty Plants is very lightweight and provides sheer coverage, which I preferred to the heavy texture of the other sample. It is very subtle and corrected my uneven skin tone, but any blemishes are still visible. Goes on easy and is buildable for more coverage. I love the SPF and my sensitive skin has not had any negative reaction to it so far. Perfect starter as my first CC cream, and I would highly recommend it for use on 'no makeup' days.

on 9/10/2013 8:31:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is my first CC cream, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I have it in the Light/Medium shade, which works very well for my very fair skin and adds a bit of tint. The coverage is very light, almost sheer. From that perspective it is very comparable to some sheer tinted moisturizers. It gives me a natural finish, without being oily or shiny. It has SPF 20, which is a bit low for me, so I use sunscreen underneath it. It has a smell reminiscent of GinZing, but it is not strong and disappears in a few minutes. It claims to contain antioxidants that protect the skin from environmental damage.

What I like about this product is that it allows me to skip a step (i.e., I can put on the sunscreen and the cream and go out). This is important to me during the summer months, because my face does not feel like it's melting. A good tinted moisturizer does the same. I can't speak about how well the antioxidants work as this is difficult to judge.

In summary, to me this is a tinted moisturizer with a few added benefits. The price is pretty comparable to similar products. I may repurchase for use during summer months.