October 30, 2014 | 1799 users online

Hair Styling Tools - L'Oreal - Steampod

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I LOVE THIS STRAIGHTENER!!! Okay so this thing was way too expensive, I think I paid about $250 for it plus the cost of the keratin cream that goes with it. I did not buy the serum just the cream. I have coarse, wiry, damaged, dry hair that is prone to breakage and is thinly dispersed (but very thick individual strands). I also experience hair loss on a semi regular basis (off and on a couple times a year).
I have bought a number of hair straightening products, some from recommendations on here, some from infomercials lol. Nothing has ever worked as well as this straightener.
The straightener itself is bulky, it has directional arrows to tell you which way to pull it through the hair and it is connected to a little pod you fill with water (I used distilled). It has a low, medium and high setting and lights up and locks when it reaches temperature. It heats up very quickly and after you press the plates together a few times you hear the hiss of steam working it's way through the machine and you will start to see the steam coming through some small holes on the side of the unit.
I apply the L'oreal steampod keratin cream to damp hair and a hair serum (I use John Frieda full repair) and then I blow dry it into a giant frizz ball. I do not do the partially dry hair thing they say you can do, I have tried it and it works but I feel like it's not as nice as when I use it on completely dried hair. I will say that I have let my hair air dry and used the straightener and the results were as nice as blow drying first.
I like to pin the top half of my hair up and start by working on the hair underneath. Then move on to the top after. There is no missing any hair with this. The hair that's had the straightener used on it looks and feels like another persons hair, it makes that much of a difference. It makes my hair look the way I thought only the salon could do, it looks like regular straight shiny hair, like I was born with it and it's healthy and beautiful.
I can't recommend this straightener enough, I've had no damage no far (had this about 6 months now) and I have no buyers remorse, and I always have buyers remorse!!
I do recommended having your stylist use this on you at the salon if you can find a place that has one. I did this and it made my decision to buy one so much easier. The results you get at home really will be exactly the same as the salon results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2014 6:28:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Ahhh - yes!!! Get this!!!!

I, like everybody else, have a GHD but in the 8 years I've had it I have only used it a dozen times due to it taking SO long to do my long, thick, coarse hair and it dried it out after 3 or so consecutive uses at one time a week. I also got the Instyler Cool Touch and that dried out my air and not to mention tangled in my hair easily. It might be okay for a fringe or t-section but it's still quite drying on my hair.

I saw my friend who has curly, kinda frizzy hair and she had transformed her hair into this really sleek but voluminous 'do. She told me about the Steampod but warned me that her hand got sore from using it because the unit itself was heavier. The effects on her hair totally sold me on the product.

My hair is soft and shiny. I can make it super straight, flicky, curly at the ends or voluminous. I have numerous comments from people (some come out of their way to say something) saying how healthy my hair looks or if I've just been to the hairdresser because it looks so nice. No frizz!! I'm a no fuss kinda person when it comes to hair so this Steampod is perfect for me! The curls or straightening lasts until my next wash.

It's effects are meant to be attributed to the steam used on conjunction with the heated plates. I use 190 degrees and can go over my hair quite a few times if I wanted. I need to run it through my hair at least twice. I also like that I can use thicker strips of hair (where if I did that with the GHD, it wouldn't work). The Steampod has adjustable heats which is handy! Easy to use and set via the buttons on the device. My long, wavy, thick hair takes me just over 5 minutes to do! Btw - I don't find it heavy to use but have seen other Internet reviews with people complaining about it,

My tips would be to press the plates together first to get the steam pumping through from the beginning. You can only run the plates through your hair one way (follow the arrows) so if you want to curl your hair just take time to uncurl the cord every now and then because the cord attachment doesn't swivel. No biggie tho. The device is worth the price, a bit of practice and patience. It's familiar enough and eventually becomes easy. I like the box it comes in too - handy storage box (perhaps not something you'd want to leave out all the time and I wouldn't say it's portable). I would also suggest letting your hair be 90% dry or do it when it is dry. It's easier to handle, quicker and pretty sure that heating hair when it's wet is still not a good idea.

I use Ojon spray or GK as a treatment for the steam to push into the hair. The L'oreal protective serum is ok but silicone-containing products make my hair greasy within a few days. I'm sure you don't need to use any product with the Steampod but I prefer a lower heat anyway.

It's a quality product in its look and feel. It might take a few times to get the full hang of it but definitely worth keeping up with it. I got mine from eBay and highly recommend it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 11:16:00 AM More reviews by phoebers2

I cannot stress how insanely amazing the steampod is!! My hair is so hard to manage, dry, frizzy, very damaged and dull. Not now that I've found these straighteners though! The day they arrived I chucked my ghds into the back of my cupboard and they have stayed there ever since. I would never go back to using them now, and that's saying something as I have sworn by ghds since I was about 14 - 7 years! The steampod quite literally blows them out of the water.

My hair styling routine is now halved in time - because the plates are large, you can run more hair through them at once and you only need to go over each section once. With my ghds, it would take around 30 minutes to do my hair; now it takes under 10 minutes and the end result is 100 times better!

The first time I went into work after using them, EVERYONE commented on my hair - even some of the men and men never notice that kind of thing! People were asking me if I had been to the hairdressers all day, and believe me when I say that nobody used to give me compliments on my hair!! When I saw my mum she was so shocked at the difference that she's going to buy herself one (as are many of my friends)!

Never before has my hair stayed straight and frizz free all day, even when I go to clubs it looks immaculate all night! Before it would frizz up and go wavy at the first sign of any humidity or dampness but the steampod really has eliminated that. I can't give this product enough compliments - every day is a guaranteed good hair day now and I'm so happy I've found it! As corny as it sounds, it really has changed my life!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by jeannie2410

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

These are my H.G straighteners. I wish i'd got these before i bought the latest G.H.D Eclipse. At first I was skeptical about using steam on my hair as I have super frizzy hair so I asked to try them out in the salon before I bought them. On seeing the results I couldn't resist. They don't leave you with the flat dull just ironed look. My hair looks healthy ~ bouncy and shiny , frizz free and super soft. I paid 130 in my local hairdressers for my Steampod and i got the serum free with it. The serum smells lovely. If they were to break i wouldn't hesitate to go straight out and buy another set. My hair hasn't looked this good in years. I love the shine and bounce my hair has with these. I would definitely recommend these to anyone. I have bought all brands of straighteners over the years and thought the latest G.H.D Eclipse would be the best but i was wrong. Now my G.H.D are lying in the back of a cupboard never to be used again. Goodbye G.H.D Hello Steampod.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Janetw86

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this thing. It's absolutely my new HG of styling products. I too have boughten every straightener under the sun. Cheap and outrageously expensive. None compare. My hair is different hair when using this !
I tried it at my salon, and was blown away by the results. I bought one right away.
I color my hair, and through the years, it's gotten dull and I feel it looks damaged. This steampod brings my hair back to life. It's silky, shiny, and simply amazing. It also lasts for days, which has never ever happened before with my other straighteners.
I do use the steampod cream, but I think bio silk or morrocan oil would work just as well.
It's tricky to use at first, but not anything that can't be mastered after one or two uses.
It's costly, but well worth it. I will never go back to frying my hair with a straightener ever. This tool is revolutionary. I can't rave enough !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

In terms of hair straighteners and stylers, this is it. I have tried many from high end to cheapo, some great, some terrible, all variations on the same thing. I love a good gimmick and this one was like being caught in a fishing net. I couldn't resist the glowing reviews from Australia. So I shelled out a rather insane amount of money and waited impatiently for my shiny big box to arrive.

The packaging is gorgeous. You can tell you are getting an expensive product. A glossy heavy box with magnetic closures and sturdy casing for the device. The manual is like an encyclopedia. The device itself is lovely. Shiny, sturdy, but most of all very heavy. It is sleek for its size, but you're certainly not bringing this in an overnight bag. There is a little "pod" for the water, and a hair straightener that will dwarf all others in terms of size.

The controls are easy to use, rubber buttons on the side that you won't accidentally push during use. There is a little plastic comb attachment I immediately removed and never use. It slides right out.

The device heats up very fast. I set it to full heat (210 C) and it's about a minute tops. The screen, backlit with a modern looking blue LED display, will blink while heating, then stop blinking when hot.

Use takes some time to learn. It's a little clumsy at first because of how big it is, but I am terrible at doing my own hair and mastered it in just 2 or 3 uses. The device must be run the same direction, there are little arrows to help you out. When you squeeze the plates together, you hear a pump whirring and it steams out around the plates. Here is where the magic happens.

I only have to go over each section ONCE and it is sleek and silky smooth. With other irons I could go over the same spot of hair over and over and over and it was straight, but still stiff and "straightened" looking. With this my hair looks like actual straight hair. Not like straightened hair. It has movement, shine, and looks wonderful. AND it lasts like none other. I don't find myself needing to touch up my style every morning. It lasts until the next wash. I can't rave about this enough. This straightener makes all others just feel like garbage. While before a straightener was what I used in places where I failed with a round brush, this is BETTER than a blowout in terms of silky results.

Instead of burning money searching for a HG styling cream, consider investing in this. It's so amazing. If I had to buy a new one every year, I would because it's just that good. I feel lost trying to style my hair without it now. It's just amazing how well this device works. I can't stop touching my silky hair. I've had it for about 6 months now and I still can't imagine going back to a regular iron.

I don't use the cream or serum that they sell with it, but am curious to try them. Right now I have had great results with argan oil, biosilk, renpure treatments, whatever my product du jour is at the moment. It has worked miraculously with all of them. If I use this after a protein masque the results seem to be even better. One time I put my 3a hair up in pin curls as an experiment and when I released the pins, the "curls" stayed attached to my head. Trying to brush out the mess was a nightmare and I looked like a poodle. While the actual brushing and subsequent afro took a good hour, going over it with this took only 15 minutes and it was like it never happened.

I can use this to create gorgeous sexy waves really easily, by either braiding my hair and going over the braid with the iron, or by just twisting a section and going over the twist. Insta-supermodel hair.

As a testament to how well this works, my boyfriend never complimented my hair before. When I started doing my hair with this he tells me ALL THE TIME how much he loves me hair, how beautiful and soft it is, and even wants to play with it. He's constantly finding excuses to come over and run his fingers through my hair now. Not once in the almost 5 years together did he enjoy my hair like he does with the steampod.

I use distilled water so I won't clog up any part of it with residue and it's super easy to make at home. Large stock pot, put a heat safe bowl in it and put water around, just a few inches. Then simmer, put an upside down lid on, stick ice in the lid, and turn off the heat. Leave for 30 minutes. Voila, distilled water.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No