Estee Lauder Modern Muse

3.0

on 8/11/2015 6:14:00 AM

Modern Muse smells like a sugar mill to me. I've been to a sugar mill so would know the unforgetable smell. Its not sweet if that's what you're thinking. A sugar mill smells more like molasses which is not a sweet smell.
Today I'm wearing Modern Muse and realize it smells a lot like Avon Aspire essence. Not a favorite fragrance of mine sorry.

on 8/10/2015 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

It's darn near pointless to explain what a fragrance smells like to you. Everyone's experience is different. Everyone's skin is different. But it's also useful to have a general idea of where it fits in, so as not to waste ones time with a floral when you're just dead set that you only like things that smell like caramel.
This is similar to Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely & Narciso Rodriguez For Her. No, it's not a dupe. It's not THE SAME. But they have SIMILAR scent profiles. So if you just die for Lovely, you might like this. If Lovely turns your stomach even to think of it, well girl, give this one a miss.
If you don't know what SJPL & NRFH smell like at all, then I suppose you could say this a soft musky floral. Pretty safe as a workplace scent, for example. Pretty safe for going out with someone new. Not a loud power frag. Not for club hopping.
I have received unsolicited compliments, which I always consider high praise for a fragrance.
The bottle is very 'classy looking' and need not be hidden away like some Mariah Carey butterfly bottle.
I rated it expensive because although it is not unusually pricey in terms of the retail price, I find it to not last on my skin more than 2-4 hours, so I'd have to buy often if this were my signature ( i have no signature, btw...i wear all sorts of things, from your $200-300 bottles down to, yes, Mariah Carey that I tried on a whim for seven dollars and would be first to agree is worth no more than seven dollars). I love perfume.
Go to Sephora and give it a try. They will give you some to take home, or their return policy is very generous if you just buy.
If you have been struggling to FIND SJP Lovely lately (tip:I picked up TWO 3.3 oz at Sams Club for $30)or to afford NR For Her, try Modern Muse.
I do think I would buy it again, although I may try the 'Chic' flanker first.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Modern Muse is a very nice perfume...
Exotic Mandarin
Patchouli
Amber Wood
Soft Musk
Madagascar Vanilla
Smells like flowers....a little soapy...close to SJP Lovely...will be nice for spring & summer...

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My current favourite. Subtle enough for daytime, and sexy enough for evening. This fragrance is fairly heavy-handed on the muguet notes (but I love muguet!). Not a sweet fragrance, I would describe it as subtle, sexy, floral, sophisticated.

on 3/9/2015 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This smells really generic. I think there is an Avon perfume that smells like this, but not sure which one. It's also headache inducing for me. I do like the bottle though, I think it looks classy.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I truly don't understand the appeal for this at all.
Smells of cheap synthetic chemicals and it has that plastic note that I just can't stand! The bottle is ugly too. I assume they wanted a modern, sophisticated middle class woman scent, but this is so gross. It would give me a headache if I had to work with someone who drenched themselves in it.

on 2/2/2015 3:42:00 PM

I bought mine in a rush at a duty free shop at Domodedovo Airport in Russia... it was in a rush when I choose some perfume options.. and i was stunned by this one!!!! i do not know how to explain the smell but I think i smell paradise!!! this smell is so addictive... i wrote some review for some perfume s which I have as well.. such as Narciso Rodriguez for her EDP which people knew as my sign for the pas 5 years... but really.... this Modern Muse... OMG I feel so sexy, confident, elegant, and feeling as a special woman with the the smell of this on my body!!!!!! wanna feel another special feeling??? buy this one women!!!

on 1/25/2015 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's a nice perfume but I prefer Modern Muse Chic because I like woody smells. I also find that Modern Muse doesn't last at all and it's an Eau de parfum but the Chic will last forever.

on 12/30/2014 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Didn't like this at all reminds me a lot of SJP's lovely perfume, except that's one I actually like its much cleaner and fresher not to mention cheaper, and Lovely doesn't have that weird aqua net hairspray in the dry down that modern muse does. Definitely opt for SJP''s lovely over modern muse.

on 12/26/2014 5:48:00 PM

I first experienced modern muse by smelling the bottle at the estee lauder counter because i wanted to buy my mom the blockbuster makeup kit for christmas and you had to purchase the fragrance. It was heavy and not pleasing to my senses. I wound up buying the pleasures roller ball because i really didnt want to spend money on a fragrance. My mom loved her makeup but does not like fragrance so she gave me the sample of modern muse that came with her kit. I am surprised that I really really like this. It just blends so nicely jwith my chemistry. It smells spicy yet floral yet citrus. I usually wear clean fragrance so I was really surprised.