April 24, 2014 | 1833 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Modern Muse

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by delish288

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

While at the mall on Sunday I dropped by the fragrance section of the store looking for the oil from Narciso Rodriguez but they never had any to sell. The sales lady at the Estee Lauder counter asked me if I would like a sample of Modern Muse and I asked her if it had a woodsy scent to which she replied it is so beautiful you will love it if you like woodsy smelling perfumes. I took it home and waited until a few days later to try it. I sprayed one good spray onto one of my arms and actually thought it was vey nice, strong in a way yet nice until a few hours later when it developed into Lovely's apple martini scent which growled at me. I ran to scrub it off with some lavender scented soap and couldnt get the smell off of me. I read somewhere where another person related Modern Muse to one of my very favorite perfumes by Liz Claiborne called Vivid which to my nose they smell nothing alike.. Now I have been trying with no luck to find a bottle of Vivid but am not doing well with that idea.. The scent of Modern Muse lasted until the next afternoon, while it simmered down and quit growling at me I finally smelled the soft musk which made it quite nice, however even after trying to kill the scent with lavender soap. I would not purchase Modern Muse for the fact alone it resembles Lovely which I dont like even after trying it several times, my chemistry just cant do anything with the scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Empyrean_Luminary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is reminiscent of fresh, clean laundry on a sunny day, with just a hint of fresh rain ozone. It's floral and crisp, but not cloying or tart. A hint of woods and musk round out the freshness to make it a bit more substantial. Definitely an everyday work type fragrance with average to low staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/19/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by CareyStephens

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this perfume for myself at Christmas along with a make-up set. Part of the pleasure in wearing a perfume for me are the compliments that I get that it smells nice and suits me. Unfortunately in this instance the compliments didn't come and one person even said that he really didn't like it.
The reviews had said that this perfume was not long lasting or very strong and I would have to agree with this comment. I love perfume and sprayed this one on at least three times a day in order that I could still smell it. I realise that everyone has different skin that suits different perfumes and very unfortunately this one wasn't for me. Such a shame as I am very faithfull to cosmetic ranges once I try one thing in the range that suits me. This didn't.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by nunyabiness

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I only smelled this in a magazine insert, but...

It smells way too much like Jasmine...too "in your face." Not subtle at all, and offensive, even though I like Jasmine.

"The first accord, accord of jasmine, blends exotic notes of mandarin, tuberose, fresh lily, honeysuckle, dewy petals, Sambac jasmine and Chinese Sambac jasmine absolute. The sleek woods accord combines two types of patchouli, Madagascar vanilla, amber wood and soft musk. "

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by McSwimmer

This is too woodsy/earthy for me. This smells like wet sticks and twigs on the ground after it rains in the forest. If there is vanilla in this, I can't smell it. I would have preferred much more vanilla! This is not totally horrible; but I think it's more of a "smell" than a "fragrance". And I don't think this is very feminine. Not my cup of tea.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 5:47:00 PM More reviews by rosbergs3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Modern Muse is Estee Lauders latest floral beauty. I've been trying to intellectualize what Modern Muse can mean. Most definitions of the word muse say it is an inspiration for something or a person that is an inspiration for artists. So maybe the folks at Estee Lauder named this perfume Modern Muse to have it mean it is an inspiration for other beautiful florals to go by....a shining beacon on the hill. That is exactly what Modern Muse is. A shimmering beauty. This is not a "young" perfume. It is a perfume that could have been around for decades and be a "classic" today. Today though I don't think it will attain the idea of a modern classic like Beautiful or Beyond Paradise., The honey suckle nectar note is so realistic its unreal. Tuberose (I thought it was gardenia at first) gives the scent maturity and jasmine is obviously present too. It smells divinely creamy on your skin. After a few hours it dries down to a very feminine woodsy scent. Modern Muse lasts and lasts and gives great projection too. So, ladies, if you are into classic perfumes and want to fall in love with the latest classic, I suggest you get Modern Muse.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 2:10:00 PM More reviews by jill9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been searching for a replacement for Liz Claiborne's Vivid for the last 5 years since the company stopped making the fragrance. This is pretty close. These are the fragrance notes:
Modern Muse, Note by Note
Patchouli Crist
Amber Wood
Soft Musk
Madagascar Vanilla SFE

I don't see sandalwood, but I swear I can detect that too. The scent doesn't last as long as Vivid, but does any fragarnce really last these days? If I get 2-3 hours, I'm happy. My last bottle of Vivid was $35-40. This was $58 at Carson's for a small 1oz spray bottle. I know prices have soared since my Vivid days. I didn't trust an online perfume site. I saw this while shopping and had to buy the bottle on the spot. The SA will give you a small vial to try. Maybe layering over body lotion might help. Luxurious, but not overwhelming and very feminine and alluring! Very beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 7:14:00 PM More reviews by makeupandcupcakes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It smells so good! This scent is a bit strong and mature so I recommend it for 30 and up but it smells wonderful! It lasts and the smells awesome! I really can't identify the scent, maybe champagne with a hint of musk and bright floral but it smell good! The bottle is a bit weird but overall the scent is what that counts! I would not repurchase because I do t repurchase perfume. I don't know why but I always want to try new ones so I won't be repurchasing but I will save it for the big occasions though!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 2:01:00 AM More reviews by bluezinnia

Smells vaguely like some kind of deodorant soap. Also, doesn't last very long at all; in this case, that is a blessing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 7:36:00 AM More reviews by hazelbd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim, which I don't normally do, however Estee Lauder does not disappoint! I've been wearing this since it came out, and EVERYONE ask me what it is. Reviewers say it doesn't last long, true but only on skin, on clothes it last me a week. It's feminine and floral with a pleasant dry down. I love this perfume and I am happy I made the spur of the moment buy!