August 27, 2014 | 1937 users online

Foundations - Cover FX - Total cover Cream Foundation SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by CarissaDawwn

I am a beauty consultant at a shoppers drug mart beauty boutique, so I have access to a vast amount of cosmetics. Recently, Cover FX reformulated their whole line. So instead of the E, M, F and N shades, they streamlined it so it is now P, N, andG. And the cream foundation is so much better. I had tried it before and hated it. I wondered who would possibly like this, but now it's amazing. I don't know what they did, but they made this foundation sheer to full coverage (customizable), lightweight, breathable, and it doesn't cake up. New HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Kabana

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been looking for years for a concealer or foundation that will cover hyperpigmentation and still looks natural. I have melasma along my jawline and it is very difficult to get natural looking coverage. I wear revlon colorstay or Estee Lauder double wear and they have excellent coverage but do not cover 100%. I like the dermablend concealer in the tube but the colors are too pink for my skin. I have read good things about the Cover FX cream so I purchased it in shade G20 (a perfect match for ELDW 2w1 Dawn).

I tried applying it a few different ways and a damp beauty blender seems to work the best for me. I noticed that applied alone it does not last long even when set with powder but applied over ELDW it lasts all day and looks perfectly natural and gives 100% coverage.

This foundation is NOT for everyone, it is thick and can be tricky to apply but if you need a lot of coverage and are willing to experiment it is well worth it. I removed one lippie for lack of staying power when applied alone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this makeup which was gifted to me by my lovely and talented makeup artist friend. It's chalk full of skin loving anti-oxidants and has got some major coverage power, probably the best out of all the high end foundations. It also has an expiration date which I found to be a wonderful and important addition. Unfortunately those are the only positives I can come up with in a sea of negatives.

Looking for a full coverage foundation or even beyond full coverage (hiding dark or light spots, scars)? Look no further if that's what you want. PROVIDED you're skin leans toward oily. If you have normal or dry skin, forget it. Matter of fact run from this stuff because it's going to emphasize dry patches and pores bigtime - ironic for a foundation that markets itself as a full flaw coverage remedy. Like other reviewers note, this stuff is very difficult to apply. It is really thick and feels emollient when pre application/on fingers but as soon as you attempt to spread it onto the face it goes on dry and sticky, making streak free application impossible. Also, the only way to apply this is by warming up between fingers and quickly attempting to spread. It looks terrible applied with a brush or sponge. After I tried to use this about 10 times, I decided maybe it would work well as a spot concealer but alas, no dice their either. I prepped and primed (using Cover FX amazing primer which is my HG primer), applied, then put another foundation over it but those spots/sections looked cakey. Since my pal had given me 3 to try, one of which was too light for me, I thought the lighter one would work for under eyes but it pooled and settled into fine lines, making what ordinarily isn't noticeable stand out. Basically I had to give up on this product. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: This costs $42.00 - gulp! I would have been soooo p@ssed had I purchased it from a retailer based on all of its false promises. Bottom line: Whatever your skintype happens to be, the bottom line is that I just don't find this to be a high quality foundation.

I am sure if you have naturally soft and texturally flawless skin this will make you look model perfect; however, not many of us do and as I stated, this defeats the purpose re a scar or flaw coverage foundation all together. I do not recommend this product to anyone with dry skin, pore size or coverage concerns, or who prefers tool application over fingers. [NOTE: I am NC30 in the winter and my color match was M50.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2014 2:50:00 AM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Great coverage, but I didn't like how it sat on my skin (specifically the oily T-zone). It moved like it was melting off, and yes I tried setting it with powder. I much prefer a lighter foundation or BB cream and the Coverfx powder on top, it still gives plenty of coverage and I don't feel like I'm wearing a pound of foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2014 2:43:00 PM More reviews by GirlieReview

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A YouTuber I watch had been raving about the CoverFX Total Cover Cream Foundation, so I decided to pick it up. I have a really hard time finding good color matches for my super pale skin and the shade range in the CoverFX line is fantastic, at least at the pale end.

I will admit that I'm not very familiar with the CoverFX line. I do like their philosophy, that makeup should actually improve your skin over time. Their cosmetics are free of many irritants commonly found in cosmetics and they are supposed to be great for people with sensitive skin.

Cover FX describes the product as a rich emollient based cream foundation with SPF 30 offering flexible coverage. For All Skin types.

I have dry skin. Really, I cannot stress enough just how dry my skin is. After cleansing, it is incredibly tight and without lots of moisturizing and exfoliation, I am very prone to flaking and even to cracking and bleeding. My skin is dry. Dry, dry, dry.

I went to the counter and got shade matched to N10, which is a fairly good match, maybe even (gasp) a smidge too light.

The finish of the foundation, however, was awful for me. This foundation sat terribly on my skin. Since the PR materials specifically used the word "emollient" and it says its suitable for all skin types - and when I tested it in store, it didn't feel drying - I thought it would be okay.

It wasn't okay.

This stuff just clung to my skin. It would not move, even with a damp beauty blender. (I did pick up the CoverFX cream foundation brush as well and it was equally disasterous at applying this product on my skin). The foundation applied incredibly unevenly. It would be really sheer in places and then pool in my pores and grab onto patches of dry skin. It looked terrible.

Now, I know that I probably could have improved things if I'd worn a primer with slip under the foundation. But I generally don't wear primers because my skin is so dry. And really, at this price point, I am not willing to go out of my way and add extra products into my routine to make something work.

For $42, you work or you go back. So ... it went back.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 2:21:00 AM More reviews by hera54

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and I have a prefference for cream foundations. I like cream foundations because it gives me a semi matte look, and I never look cakey.

Cover Fx cream foundation is reminiscent of Mac's Full Coverage foundation. It's both creamy, full coverage, a little goes a long way, blends beautifully BUT like some reviewers said, you need work to use this foundation:

1. Prep your skin well with moisturizer/ serum. This foundation will accentuate dry patches.

2. A little goes a long way. I use a flat, synthetic brush and put stripe marks on the center of my face then blend it outwards with a foundation brush ( I use Sephora's airbrush foundation brush)

3. Go back to the areas that need more coverage, then set it with a loose powder.

I don't have blemishes, or discoloration, so i don't have to build up the foundation much.

I love the finish and coverage that this foundation gives. If you pile on this foundation, you may end up looking very cakey and heavy. But if you want a clean, skin like realistic finish...then prep, blend, and build away with this foundation. The pay off is worthwhile, people always compliment my skin/ makeup.

Word of caution for fellow oily skin: I probably won't be using this in the summer time. It gives a very dewy finish, so it will be reserved for non hot weather days.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I switched over from liquid makeup to cream after trying countless drugstore and high-end foundations, and this one has quickly become my HG! I've been using it for five months and I'm as in love with it as I was on day one. It's easy to find a color match, extremely natural-looking yet full coverage, and find that with a damp BB it's easy to apply and blend. One of the only down-sides is that it can leave you with a definite dew, so if you don't have dry-skin like me be sure to set it with powder. It's a bit pricey so I wish I didn't want to use this every day (after using this, everything else just makes me look meh), and the packaging is a bit plain.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by ninnermier2

Purchased this foundation after a Sephora associate used it on me when doing my make up for a wedding. I was instantly shocked by how well the color matched my own (I have it in N60) and also by how it provides such a natural looking but full coverage. The coverage is long lasting, which is why it's great to use for events, longer wear, etc. I love that I don't need to use concealer with this either. For $42, this product is definitely worth it (I purchased mine end of Aug., used it almost daily and still have quite a bit left!). I've also noticed that my skin stays clear with this product (no breakouts, etc.). My only cons: I have combination skin and find that after a while my skin does get slightly oil (nothing excessive, and this honestly could just be due to my skin type). Also, this is purely aesthetic, but I would love if they would spruce up the packaging a bit! Though it's functional, the packaging is quite simple/plain and the compact looks like it was purchased at a drug store. These are the only two very minor complaints I have. The many pros outweigh the few cons by far, so I would definitely recommend this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Henrytm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love that this is an original Canadian company! This is a product that you have to know how to work with. Definitely not for people who don't wear makeup regularly. But it is fantastic. I use it sometimes as an all over foundation but mostly as a concealer or spot corrector. Great coverage, good colour range and not a bad price for a high end product. Only con is the packaging but that's superficial. For the price I would expect more luxurious packaging but really don't care because this product is awesome!!!! And I've tried them all from drugstore to the most expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2013 3:19:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is too hard to work with. I've returned it.

I've used liquid foundations in the past, and the switch to a cream that took extra work to blend was not appealing. The coverage is very buildable, from medium to full. The finish is OILY.

Make sure you get matched by someone knowledgeable. I was given the lightest shade in neutral, but after putting it on my entire face, I felt like I had a floating white face in the daylight. Not attractive. I also brought a magnifying mirror outside with me to see how the product sat on my skin, and it literally just sat on top of it and bunched in all my creases. I'm young. I don't HAVE creases. I don't want a product to make me look like I have them.

You need a special brush to work with it. A damp sponge works, too - but again, it takes work to blend it evenly.

On a side note - This product is supposed to be very healthy for the skin. It's by the same creator of Mac studio fix liquid, so the coverage is comparable, but it's supposed to be the healthier version. It was designed to help cover burn victims' scars. With that in mind, maybe this product would work better as a concealer than as an all over foundation, but I'm still not impressed enough to keep it.