August 30, 2014 | 1136 users online

Polishes - Essie - for the twill of it

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by juleee15h

- super cool colour, holographic
- nice shaped brush
- one coat is enough

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

Overall, Essie is NOT my favorite brand of nail polish. I have had horrible luck with most Essie polishes; they have been either too difficult to apply, or they are streaky, they bubble, or they drag. There are really only 2 that I liked (Made to Honor and Shine of the Times), until this one. "For the Twill of It" is one, exceptional nail polish! It caught my eye a couple of times on display in several places, and I finally caved and bought it. I am so glad I did! I wore this for 8 days without even the slightest chip or tip wear! I couldn't believe it! And the color just made me fall in love! In one light in was a beautiful, sparkling, sage green. If I turned my hand, it was a frosty steel gray. In other lighting, it looked like a satiny, silvered-plum color. Now THIS is a polish that I got many compliments on! So beautiful! I wish I took a picture to share, because I also added a white, glittery topcoat with mixed glitter pieces (bar, hexagonal, and tiny circles) only to the cuticle area (opposite end of the nail tips), and my nails looked like they were sporting a snowy scene on a cold, wintry day. I know "For the Twill of It" is similar to OPI's "Peace, Love, and OPI" and another polish by Julep (forgot the name), but I would definitely recommend this one because it is one Essie polish that proved to be worth every dollar I paid for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Cherrybello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this polish. The colour is unique, the lasting power is pretty good (under the Essie Good to go topcoat) lasted about a week. It is spring here, and it is part of the fall collection, but I just had to try it on and it looked great. I often catch myself looking at it under different lighting and see what colour it looks under what sort of light. It reminds me of oil rainbows in the puddles. Lovely, edgy, unique.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For the Twill of It is a pretty gray/purple metallic duochrome that was released for fall 2013 in the For the Twill of It collection. This polish is gorgeous. It is gray and then when the light changes it turns plum colored or even a teal blue-green. The formula on this is really nice and it glides on smoothly and evenly and is almost opaque in once coat. I used 2 because I always use 2 coats. This has a little shimmer in it as well and this is a really pretty polish. It reminds me of an oil slick where you can see the rainbows in it as the light is reflected. This is a dupe for OPI's Peace & Love & OPI. This has a slight bit more shimmer but the colors are dead on and I have them side by side and they are identical. You won't need both. Also very close is Essence Chic reloaded. The Essence is a shade darker but if you have one you really don't need the other. Same with Gray's Anatomy by Wet n' Wild - it's a few shades lighter so not a dead on dupe, but if you layer it over a gray base first then you can get it close enough that if you have one you really don't need the other.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 10:59:00 PM More reviews by LindseyAnne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm very particular about buying Essie polishes as they are either fantiastic, or horrible. So I did a little research on this color and was convinced. That being said, I probably would have bough it regardless just because the color is incredible. I made the mistake of applying it in my dimly lit bedroom and thought the color looked flat. But as soon as I was out in brighter light, the mulitdimension nature of this polish really came through. Nails shine green or purple depending on the angle lighting. I found myself mesmerized by them all day during my classes. The application process is fantastic. Two coats= full opacity. This first coat looks pretty streaky and I thought I would need mutiple coats afterwards to correct it. But two thin coats does the trick. It also lasts fairly well too. I find it doesn't peel as badly as some of my other Essie polishes. Overall I"m really satisfied with this product and I have no doubt it will become part of the permanent collection or re-releaed as part of another.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I am recently new to Essie and usually stuck with OPI and Orly for the most part. I am in love with this color. It is a very unique color (which I always look for) and changes depending on the light and angle.

Twill is described as an iridescent maple and I would say it's more of an iridescent grey-green-plum? OPI has a similar shade for their fall collection called Peace and Love. I don't own the OPI one, I went with Essie for a change.

The wear has been great, 4 days now with no chipping. It was easy to apply and dried quickly. In some light it looks green and sometimes steel. I would definitely buy this again and hope they keep this in the line after Fall.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by LightPink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

When I first saw all the new fall 2013 colors from Essie I was most drawn to this but I wasn't sure how much I would love it so I didn't buy the full size bottle but I did buy the Essie fall 2013 mini set collection.Which gave me the chance to still try For The Twill Of It and at the same time try a few others in the new fall collection.

So yes I really do enjoy this color because For The Twill Of It is a very interesting color to have in your polish collection. It is very much like having three colors in one depending on the light it will shift and sometimes I can see half green and half purple which looks so cool!. From a distance it appears like a dark gray and looks much better up close. Due to the color I wouldn't wear this during any other season except autumn.

Even though I have the mini bottle I found it really easy to paint with but I didn't like the formula. A few of my nails dried with tiny bubbles which always happens when I use Essie even though I applied very thin coats.

I skipped a base coat and applied two thin coats of polish then finished with China Glaze first & last for the top coat. Three days later and no chips are there! Which is really great because I have been pretty tough on my nails the last few days and have been thinking the polish would chip any second now... but no chips yet!

I don't think I love it enough to buy the full size bottle since the formula is not good to me but I will add some thinner into the polish and try it again in a couple of weeks to see if the bubbles can be prevented. I never get bubbles with any of my other polishes. If bubbles happen again then I will buy a similar color from Zoya or OPI.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 11:55:00 PM More reviews by shaaaaaeeeee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this for $5.99 at Winners, I love this colour! The formula is amazing and the colour is so unique, I've gotten so many complements on it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by somedancer125

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like to Google Essie and OPI's seasonal collections, and when I saw 'For The Twill of It' I had to have it. It is a unique shade, not many companies produce a shade like this one. It's a gray metallic and when you turn your hand/bottle the purple and green really come through. I am one hundred percent pleased with this polish. I have gotten many complements from both women and men. In addition, this polish is great because it's like having three colors in-one and will go with many outfits/occasions. Simply a great edgy nail polish.

Pros:
-Under $10 (USD)
-Applies nicely (isn't goopy not streaky)
-Held up for 4/5 days with Revlon Colorstay top coat, and that is a feat in it's self Essie normally doesn't last more than 2/3 days on my nails.
-Two coats to an opaque color
Cons:
Takes a little longer to dry compared to OPI.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 3:28:00 PM More reviews by sinleeangulo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This reminds me of OPI's Not Like The Movies.