December 22, 2014 | 1532 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - High Definition Powder-Corrective Yellow

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by MrsBrown1412

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

love this stuff it's so blackgirl girlfriendly. the yellow color helps to hide discoloration and hyperpigmentation. it also helps to conceal pores and set your foundation like magic. this is something I use on a daily basis it's cheap but high quality I couldn't ask for more, but wait there's more they give you so much product you'll have it for the longest time!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Kifmaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is my daily setting/buffing powder. The white one leaves my face with a weird cast no matter how much I blend! I shake a small amount of this and my powder foundation in the lid and swirl with my studio powder brush (tap off excess) and buff into my skin, leaves me looking nice and 'naturally' matte. Not dead, not glowy or glittery but just nice and set foundation before applying bronzer/blush/luminizer. I always set my whole face with a toner before applying my mascara, it helps the powder 'melt' into the skin and look natural. Only downside is the packaging. It's nice at home when kept upright but if you travel with it, tape the holes shut or you end up with a powdery mess! Great price, great quality, great product! Thanks again ELF!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 1:49:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this stuff! I have redness and I enjoy the whole powder before foundation routine. I apply this to all my red areas like my cheeks,chin, and around my nose. I then use the Sephora Airbrush foundation and no redness coming though at all. It is a nice fine powder that I apply with a stipple brush ELF's small one works well. I can even use this powder on it's own if I stipple it on. Being cool toned it seems there is always some type of pink popping through and with this powder it really neutralizes it.

Plus it's way easier than using green corrector in my opinion. The price is excellent for the amount you get and I am very happy with this. If you have redness issues this is a great powder and if you use it before foundation it makes it even better. I love how long my makeup lasts and I'm talking all night dancing! Also as an oily person this is a great too because I do not get shiny with this at all. I do use a setting powder but otherwise I don't have to blot at all. Great corrective powder that works great alone or layered with foundation. If you have red skin this stuff is awesome! Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 2:32:00 PM More reviews by lcheramie1212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this powder. My skin tone seems to be hard to find a powder to match flawlessly (most either look too pale/cakey or too orange) but this is amazing. I also recommended it to some friends with varying skin tones and shades and it works for them as well! I don't really have issues with red skin or anything so I can't attest to the "color corrective" powers, but just as a setting powder, I cannot say enough great things about this product. I use the puff that comes with it to pat directly on top of my under eye concealer and a light dusting over the rest of my face with a large kabuki brush and it makes my entire face look flawless, but NEVER cakey! The packaging isn't the BEST just because it's a very fine loose powder so it can get a bit messy, but there is a TON of product for $6 and it's amazing, so I'd say it's more than a fair trade off! :) Also, I have this in the translucent shade as well and this one is my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

A great powder to use either under or over your foundation. It adds this natural brightening effect to the face that I like. It doesn't make your face look chalky or unnatural in any way. It has a very fine texture to it. So, you have to be careful with it. Loose powders can be a bit messy to use. But, I love this powder enough to totally overlook such. When it comes to E.L.F.'s HD powders, this is the one that I prefer the best.

When taking pictures that involve flash photography, do not use HD powder on your face. That's the only thing that you must avoid when wearing such powder. Otherwise, this powder is perfect for wearing daily either alone or over your foundation with no problems.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

The best finishing powder & only one I've ever repurchased. A few months ago, I reviewed the translucent version of this product and was not a big fan--left my face looking chalky and pale! So I picked up the yellow instead and crossed my fingers that it would work for me...which it did! I'm going to agree with other reviewers that this is a must for warmer skin tones who want to reduce redness. I battle the occasional pimple and sensitive skin that's often red and irritated from using Retin-A, and this stuff gets rid of the red that shows through after I apply foundation. Doesn't highlight my pores like the translucent did so I'm a happy customer:) my only mistake was not buying this first! It adds moderate shine control as well, I especially notice a difference in my t-zone when I use this. So jump on it! Get this HG and I assure you that it'll impress even the biggest critics.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! My skin is very red from acne treatments and this powder is great for toning down the redness on days I'm too lazy to wear foundation. I also love this powder because it doesn't contribute to "flashback" the way some white or pinkish HD powders are notorious for. The packaging is "okay" -kind of clumsy and awkward feeling and whenever I open it, a huge cloud of powder greets me. It comes with a little puff but I prefer to use a blush brush to apply. For special occasions I wear several layers of cream foundation (all that highlighting and contouring) so this powder is great for absorbing that excess oil and lightening the "heavy" feeling on my face. The oil control throughout the day is "meh" -I still have to blot periodically. For $6 it's worth a try -I'd definitely buy another.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For my oily male skin, this powder has become A MUST.
The Corrective Yellow shade works better if you have yellow undertones or have redness you need to neutralize. Don't be too quick to put it aside before finding the appropriate technique and a suitable brush. When applied right on top of my moisturizer it settled into pores and caked under my eyes. It was even worse during the summer time.

First, if your skin is oily this will not replace a mattifying powder. My makeup use doesn't include foundation or concealer. I simply apply moisturizer, let it dry, then apply some talc powder to remove shine. After my matte blush and bronzer I finish up with this to hold them in place and add a soft focus effect. The talc powder also prevents this from being over-applied. The HD silica bind in-between the talc, filling up the spaces and looking very natural. While I'm not sure about its oil absorption abilities, it certainly delays the appearance of shine. The blotting paper will still absorb the usual amount, but I don't have to blot as much.

You do need a good brush. I use the Body Shop Slanted Kabuki and it's great, but any other dense fluffy brush would work just fine. Some people recommend cutting the plastic partially. Instead, I simply block the whole surface with the brush, turn it upside down, side to side, then back up. Then I swirl the brush against the sides of the sifter to distribute the product. It helps if the bristles are dark because you can see if the powder is not evenly distributed on the brush.

I heard that the original MUFE powder is more finely milled and I might give it a try. But honestly I haven't felt the need to so far, and I actually prefer the packaging of the ELF one. The sifter area is deep and large I can nicely fit my large kabuki. The shape of the container is very chic in my opinion and happens to resemble a few CHANEL products ;P. NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder might indeed be of better quality but comes only in white.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

Ladies trying to cancel out redness, take note! I love ELF's original HD Powder, so when I saw this, I was stoked to try it out. It's full retail price is $6.00 for 8 grams, but ELF has everything on sale all the time, so don't pay full price even though it's worth more than six bucks. And I haven't seen it in any retail store that carries ELF, so you might only be able to get it online, like many of ELF's products.

It's just very hard to keep the redness from showing through foundation. I've tried green and yellow liquid correctors and primers, but was never impressed with the results. I'm also not thrilled with It's Bye Bye Redness. I don't have rosacea (yet!) but I my face is red all the time, like I'm blushing or sunburnt. Foundation COVERS the red, but doesn't CORRECT the red. If you have redness, you know what I mean.

This powder really takes the shine away without looking chalky and minimizes pores without sitting in them. If you have oily skin like me, once the shine starts showing through, so does the redness. So if powder is your thing, go for it. I did notice that it grabbed on parts of my face with more matte foundations (like CS Whipped), but that was easily remedied by another sweep of the brush. That tells me that those with dry skin might find this grabbing onto dry patches. Your best bet is to use a very soft brush and don't pick up too much product. Just toss the crappy puff that comes with this, as it's useless.

A note on the packaging: DO NOT pull the sticker off the sifter once you get this home. You will just get powder EVERYWHERE. I just started poking holes through the sticker until it dispensed the right amount of powder. That's why I gave the packaging a 1. ELF packaged the original the same way, and people have complained over and over again about that, so I don't understand why they didn't fix the problem, because it's a big big pain in the a**. The other minor quibble I have with this is the staying power, which is not great on oily skin (about 2 hours or so before shine city). Still, such a wonderful product at a great price!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No