April 17, 2014 | 1836 users online

Shampoo - Color Wow

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by principea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm turning 50 this year, and as a result, I've noticed my gray roots keep coming up faster and faster! I get my hair colored about once every 8-12 weeks whenever I relax my hair. My hairdresser uses Sebastian Cellophane Color that is gentle on my hair and works when the cuticle is open. At this point, I refuse to color my hair in between as I worry about over processing my already dry and slightly damaged hair (from weekly flat ironing).

I went to Ulta to see what I could find to cover up my gray roots. My biggest concerns are to cover my grays at my side part and at my temples in between colorings. In the past I've used cheap mascara like products that I tried once and never used again. I found the Wow Color touchup product and decided to give it a try. It comes in a large eyebrow powder like pallet, with a double ended brush. To apply to brush it in from the part, out to growth of your gray. It's a nice clean application and looks very natural, even in the sunlight. If you rub at the spot, you will get the powder residue on your hands. All in all it's a great product and stays in until you wash your hair. I'm african american with long black (a couple of inches past my shoulder) relaxed hair. I will continue to use this product in between colorings, as it seems to work great and has excellent coverage. At $34.50 it is very pricey, but worth the cost when you consider the price of coloring your hair. Ulta had a promotion where you get an additional full size Color Wow product for free when you spend $24.00+ on any Color Wow products up to $22.00.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by discerningbeauty

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is awesome that I get to do a first review. I have not written a review for quite awhile. These products have prompted me to do so. Hair history first:

I have naturally straight hair. It is fine in texture and medium to full density. It was always smooth without frizziness until the last couple of years :( I started losing hair and had that frizzy halo of short hairs sticking up everywhere). I thought maybe age/stress related. That was not the culprit. It was my hairdresser over processing my fine hair, (at $150 a pop I might add). Sure,I had a lot of it but it is still fine textured. I color for the few grays which is between 5-10%. I went every 3-4 months so it did not dawn on me that my hair was being over processed.

I immediately stopped the coloring. I do not use any heat styling. I went a year without coloring and started trimming my hair of damage. I picked up a regimen of non-sulfate products(DermOrganics) and used that for a year. I also upped my intake of omegas in my diet. I only washed a couple times a week and used dry shampoo in between so as not to manipulate my hair too much. Fine hair is weakest when wet. The regimen worked better for my new growth and the parts of my hair that were less processed but did not do much with the look of the damaged hair and it also kept it weighed down. I started coloring my hair again (L'oreal Healthy Look 15% peroxide no ammonia). I went looking for a new regimen and found Color WOW at Ulta. I bought the small size of shampoo, conditioner, and styling cream. I also bought the Color Wow root cover up. The shampoo and conditioner is for fine to normal color treated hair. There is a version for thicker textured hair as well. Finally on to the products :)

The first use of the Color Wow products and I knew that I might have a winner. I used shampoo, conditioner, styling cream and the root cover up powder. I have been using for a couple weeks. The products are all cleanly scented...no fruity vanilla candy smell. My hair always felt tangled when shampooing and I will brush my hair before washing. This shampoo was immediately different. I could actually run my fingers thru my hair while washing. My hair length is to my bra strap and I used a quarter size dollop. The texture and slip of the shampoo made it easy to distribute thru my hair. Fine hair that is dense is difficult to get product distributed thru because fine wet hair becomes just one solid mass that wraps around itself. The shampoo is non-sulfate but lathers somewhat. It rinses clean. My hair felt clean. It smelled clean. I finished with the conditioner which I distributed thru wet non-squeezed out hair worked thru the lengths for a minute, rinsed well then let air dry. I then used the styling cream then the root powder. After the air drying I was so happy with what I saw....very little of those short frizzy hairs. I was able to put the styling cream just in spots. My hair looks radiant but not greasy. It has volume and swing. The hair strands stay looking individual, not clumped together and stringy. It stayed looking clean for 3 days, (I think the root powder helps). It never went flat or fly away. The tangles just seem to fall out.

I give this product 5 lippies EXCEPT FOR PRICE! (FYI... I am accustomed to the cost of HE products) When you play with your hair ie: color,highlight etc.. you have to pay. I bought the 2.5oz trial sizes of shampoo and conditioner for $9.00 a piece. The styling cream was $9.00 for 1oz. The full size root powder was $35.00. The full sizes which I think are 8oz are $22.00. The packaging is a squeeze tube which I like. Pricey for sure. I think I am getting my monies worth but it is still steep. I will buy the full sizes probably today :) I will then be able to judge how long they last.

The company is Federici Brands. They are based in the U.K. Their website is www.colorwowhair.com
This has been the best regimen of products I have ever used on my fine hair. No tweaking to get the products to work for me. No trade offs so far. Pretty much just wash and go. I will review the other products in more detail as well.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No