Sephora Color IQ

2.2

on 3/27/2015 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Sephora color IQ is a great concept in theory.I also been colored match incorrectly and had to returned each foundation. so been matched as a 4y05 or 6 but right now I'm using Dior Skin Flash in 200 light beige color matched # 2R07 which is perfect but also went to Macys.So Sephora SA are helpful but please look at a person"s skin tone, undertone please don't rely on color IQ.

on 3/13/2015 12:33:00 AM

I would give the IQ a zero if I could. What a waste of time lol. What's worse is that the Sephora staff do not know what they are doing - and now they are using this machine on everyone, thinking it actually works! Instead of taking the time to actually learn about skin tones.
This would also be possible if Sephora would invest in some FRIGGEN 6500KW bulbs instead of those horrible yellow halogen lights. So much is wrong that I don't know how Sephora operates. Seriously - can you imagine the amount of returns in a week - if the customers realize what actually suits them, because you never see anything until you go outside or get home.
I had a rep use the machine on me, and of course I thought I looked great in the store. I got to my vehicle, got a few blocks away and looked in the mirror. My face was orange and my neck was white. The foundation was caked on and not blended. Thank god I had a blending brush and buffed everything out while I was driving. If I had had the time I would have went straight back and lost it. Unbelievable. Just sad how these are to be professionals.
Now every time I go in, I get so annoyed when 8 girls ask if I really don't need help lol. NO, I don't!!
Do not let a Sephora rep use the IQ on you. Do your own research, and get samples if you really aren't sure. You would be a better judge than any machine!

on 2/17/2015 7:21:00 PM

Ok, so I got matched to a 4y04. The problem is that when I look up my foundations via the brand and color none of them are the same family according to the IQ. The one powder they had in store that matched me perfect (MUFE pro 118) via the color IQ was too dark but the 117 matched fairly close even though it wasn't something the color IQ picked for me.

on 1/23/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'll let the bad reviews here speak for themselves because there are quite a few. What I will do is add a word of caution for us very pale people: don't waste your time. My skin (NARS Siberia, NC5) -- too pale for most foundations which is why I sought this out -- turned out nothing. It completely stumped the machine. No liquid foundations registered. Just two, lonely, sad powders that I had no interest in.

My own color ID is this: does this look so off-white that you can't believe it's an actual skin tone? And then I know I've got the one!

We all have our methods that are a lot more intuitive than this.

on 1/23/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

What an absolute MESS this is! First of all, the device, in 4 different locations, has matched me to 1Y09, 2Y10, 4Y08, and 2Y08...This is confusing to me. The one consistent thing is Y for "yellow" undertones, and yet...

So...I took the first "result", 1Y09, and tried to find a shade match for my warm/yellow/gold, medium skin. The first "match" that popped up is Laura Mercier Fawn, for Medium pink skin tones...pink? Then Becca Fawn, for dark/tan beige with red undertones...red? What happened to my Y?

On to 2Y10...some matches worked...but I also got Nars Syracuse, Medium/dark with brown undertones, (my Nars shade is actually Stromboli), and Clinique Stay Matte in 20 Deep Neutral (I wear shade 11, Honey, in Stay Matte). 2Y10 is obviously too deep for me so I don't know how the device came up with this number.

4Y08...there were only a couple of matches, and they were okay. However this also supposedly matches Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Bisque, for light neutral complexions....before I was dark...now I'm light?

2Y08...Amorepacific Almond Blush...which is pinky-beige, and about 18 shades too light for my skin, Sephora Baked foundation in BRONZE, (how could this possibly be a match to Almond Blush?), and good old Laura Mercier in BOTH Tawny and Ochre. How can one foundation have two completely different shade "matches" in the exact same product? (Neither of which happen to match my skin).

I comprehend slight shade differences in tone, but I do not understand how anything with "pink" or "red" undertones could be considered as matches for Y skin tones?

I also can't imagine how so many "matches" were much too light, or much too dark. I don't just mean to my skin...I mean to the other foundations Sephora considered to be matches. While my eyesight isn't perfect, and everything is subject to relativity, I'd be amazed if anyone could look at Amorepacific Almond Blush and Sephora baked Bronze, and say they match each other!

My SA decided that putting the thing on different parts of my face and neck would help the situation. Possibly I needed a couple of different makeup shades. Really? So I can have stripes all over my face?

The weirdest thing of all is that by "eyesight" I was matched to Make Up For Ever Face & Body foundation in shade 34, but it doesn't show up as a match in any the of results from the IQ device. This particular foundation is classified as 1R09, which "matches" Urban Decay Naked Skin in 7.5, medium-dark with neutral-pink undertones.(My shade in UD Naked Skin is 6.0). I've also been Clinique-matched to Clinique Superbalanced Foundation in Sunny, which is classifed BY CLINIQUE as Medium-Gold, yet Sephora calls it 3R08 ("R" being red/pink).

I'm more confused thanever before. I'm afraid I look ghastly most of the time but I don't know it... if nothing else, I now have an even deeper appreciation for MAC's genius in classifying foundation shades (MAC consistently matches me at C4 and NC35)!

I don't think the Color-Matching device actually works...it's a gimmick that's nothing but a fake app to generate sales. If you get a match, it's probably a coincidence. Some sales committee voted that consumers were too stupid to look at their own faces, and would rely on some "mysterious" gadget to tell them what they looked like. What gets me is...how do Sephora's SAs use it with a straight face? They MUST be able to see how skewed the results become.

on 11/28/2014 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm fair skinned and I was matched 3 shades darker than I am. I forgot what shade my foundation was and it caused me to get a shade darker. I don't tan or get color, so now I have wasted $36. Kind of mad.

on 11/14/2014 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

... Sephora's color IQ Match is way off......... They matched me with color IQ 5Y07 .. and that is WAYY to dark for my light asian skin... .. they put on a foundation on me that "matched" my color IQ and my face was drastically darker than my neck.

on 11/7/2014 8:41:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a gimmick. I have extremely fair skin and have been struggling finding foundation light enough for me for YEARS! The lightest shade of any foundation is always to dark. This stupid thing said I was BEIGE! Beige? Really? Last time I checked, my nickname was Casper. Do not waste your time.

on 10/3/2014 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I was curious so first sephora said 3y09. My perfectly matched foundation that I've been wearing years is 1y09.
Was in a rush so took no samples.
Next day went to another sephora and had loads of time so retested to see if this time it says 1y09 but instead it said 5y09😳😳

Swatched 5y09 and waaaaay too dark even the MA agreed its too dark.

Told her give me some samples of 3y09 and 1 of 1y09. Got home... 3y09 too dark and 1y09 perfect match.

I got becca as a sample because its line had matches for both 1y09 and 3y09

So seems machine gets the skin shade correct (09) but the undertone is not accurate ( 2 shades too yellow)

on 9/30/2014 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The Skin IQ is a waste of time. While the concept sounds great in practise it falls completely short. The first time I had my Skin IQ tested it was 2y11, but as I went in to buy a new concealer I didn’t try any of my foundation matches. So on another day at a different Sephora I had my skin read again and this time it came up 3y11. But here is the kicker, the foundation that I use, bareMiinerals original in medium tan, is 1y09. I was matched to medium tan by two different Sephora ‘cast members’ on two different locations. I made sure that was the right match because initially under a poor lit part of my local Sephora I was matched to medium dark which was too dark for me, a fact that I realized after I spent money on it. So I went to three other Sephora’s to get re-matched , I asked around a couple of different people to match me, in bright sun light too, since I wanted to be sure this time. I got matched to Medium Tan twice and golden tan once, so I know that’s my shade. When I wanted something with lighter coverage I was recommended bareminerals Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20, in golden tan, which was a perfect match. Broad spectrum golden tan is 1y09 too. My Clinique perfectly real makeup in shade 34, which was recommend to me at an Estee Lauder warehouse sale is also 1Y09. All the foundations that I use, recommended to me by so called “experts” says that I am 1y09, but I keep getting 2 shades darker. I would give the skin Iq tester the benefit of the doubt considering I have hyper pigmentation under my cheekbones ( one of the areas they sampled ) which could have skewed the results except 2 out of the 3 3y11 matches were too light on my skin, the only exception was Nars tinted moisturizer in Malaga. What is up with that? But no I would not recommend Skin Iq.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools