April 17, 2014 | 925 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sephora - Color IQ

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Honestly, I just might be too light or something, but the machine matched me to a 1Y02, which was off because I lean far more towards red than yellow, and all the results were too dark. I honestly found nothing on the list, when in reality I can make some foundations work. They may not be completely perfect, but I live with it. This may be more the companies' fault for not making light enough shades rather than the Color IQ failing. Either way the machine did not do anything for me and the results it tried to give me were pretty off.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by julietagreen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This matched me to a foundation that was a great match. You know how sometimes after you put on your foundation you have to bring life back to your skin using blush, bronzer, etc.? Cause you look lifeless? I don't have to do that now. It's perfect. Now, it did give me a few different ones to choose from and the SA grabbed them and let me try them out. So I think you have to play around with it but it does lead you in the right direction. The one that stood out was Clinque even better in Chamois. I am a Nw25.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by IndustryKoda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The hype is just that, hype. It doesnt match, it spits out a list of suggestions. And do thet clean these everytime, before and after?

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by shmeow

I'll preface by saying that I got mine done at a JCPenney in-store Sephora, but I was really disappointed with Color IQ! I'm pretty good at finding my perfect shades on my own but I wanted to see what Sephora's hype was about. The results they gave me were either wayyyyy too dark (im usually one of the lightest shades and it was giving me mediums.) I would check out the foundation grid on Temptalia.com, I think it's more helpful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love the idea of this technology, but in practice it didn't really work for me.

It probably has something to do with the fact that my skin is blotchy and different colors in different places, but the results weren't even close. My skin is very pale and very pink, and it matched me to foundations that were too warm and too dark. It did the same thing to my sister who has similar coloring.

My guess is that if you could actually look at their database of colors it might be helpful, because I know what shades work well in various lines and I'd be able to find sister foundations. I think it is the limitations of the matching technology that cause it to call up poor matches.

Good idea that needs some refinement.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2014 9:51:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used this service on 3 different days at 2 different Sephora's and have gotten widely variable results. The first time, when Color IQ first came out I got the most perfect color match I have ever found. Unfortunately, there was only 1 foundation match and it was for a formula that didn't work with my skin type (Lancome teint idole ultra). Color (buff something) was lovely but texture was hideous on my skin. I took a sample and they did not save my Color IQ number, unfortunately. After trying it a few times, I decided to stick with what I was already using (Laura Mercier silk creme in cream ivory which their website calls 2Y04).

I tried it again at a different time of year, in the dead of winter, when I would have expected to be matched to a lighter shade, but it matched me WAY darker and much warmer than my skin tone at a 2Y05, which was mystifying. I am pretty neutral, very slightly towards warm and very fair. The particular foundations I tried, actually looked fine (Lorac Breakthrough in SMS4 and Cover FX Oil-Free in G30) once applied but looked pretty oompah loompah going on. I decided to go back and get rematched a few days later and got a different result, even warmer 3Y05, and still too dark. After multiple attempts by the SA and then by the manager, getting different results on the same day (and all of us laughing at how ridiculous they were), they gave up and decided to do it by eye instead. I do have some uneven skin tone but even when they sampled from areas of even pigmentation, they seemed to get weird results that showed me much darker and seriously warmer than I am.

The one very useful feature related to this service is the reverse lookup feature on the Sephora website, which allows you to input a foundation that you like and it will pull up the IQ number and other matches for you. This gave me some ideas about products to check out next time I'm in the store. I will say, however, that there appear to be some errors in the coding of foundations as some I KNOW are lighter (in Laura Mercier, for example) and warmer are coded as cooler and/or darker. Either someone is making typos inputting the data, or their database is not accurate. This could explain a lot of the horrendous "match" results, accuracy of the actual device aside.

Great concept, but technology and database are not quite there yet. Still, I am open to trying it again on my neck only next time (as suggested by another reviewer here) and seeing what I get. It does help narrow the field but does not take the place of sampling the foundations, IMO. Luckily, I have 3 Sephora's close by! :-D If you don't have that luxury, I would recommend looking up swatches of ones you are considering and not going 100% by the Color IQ match data on the website due to some inaccuracies in the color coding.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by missbieberly

My face is lighter than the rest of my body and I alwaysssss have trouble being colormatched in store. I always end up having to exchange colors a couple of times until I get something close to my skin tone. I told the girl who was prepping the color IQ machine that I wanted my foundation to match my body and not my face so she scanned my forehead (which is normally darker than the rest of your face), my neck and on my chest. I ended up with 4y08 and although there weren't very many choices for my color, I did end up leaving Sephora with the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Bisque which happens to match very well on me. So if your face is lighter than the rest of your body, I would recommend having them scan your forehead, neck and chest to get a good reading!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by cleverrobot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I really like the idea of this service, but the in-store version did not work for me at all.

I am fair skinned with peach and olive undertones, and most fair products are way too pink for me. Benefit's Hello Flawless powder in "Me Vain? Champagne" is the best match I've ever had, so I color matched myself on the website based on that, and I got 3Y04. That sounded about right, and it was nice to find more yellow based foundations that could work for me. I wanted to confirm, though, so I went into the store to check.

When I went in store, they sampled my face in three places and I got 3R06. That is darker than my skin normally is and way too pink. I do not have any red undertones at all, but I have a lot of redness in my cheeks. I am sure I got the wrong color because they sampled my cheeks. I want to cover that redness, not blend it in to the rest of my face!

The MUA did not seem to like the shades this pulled up for me, so she decided to recommend a totally different product, Tarte BB/Primer in Light. I did like it and ended up getting it, and when I checked it on the Sephora site, this foundation pulled up as 1Y05. I'm not sure if that's exactly right, either, but at least it's the yellow undertone and not the red.

So just a heads up: if your skintone is uneven, don't even bother with the in store process. Just try to match via the website based on a foundation color you already know.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This system has been driving me a little nuts. I was super excited about it, got there on the first day to try it out, and then was shocked and disappointed by the crazy suggestions. Okay, I'm rather fair and tend toward the cool side of neutral. I have surface redness that probably skews my results, so I can't totally blame the machine. But Color IQ put me in some really atrocious matches! I got R106, which is several shades darker than I have ever used -- in several brands.

For instance, I was directed to Rich Vanilla in Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation, when I wear Real Sand. I got Natural in Bobbi Brown, where my best match is Cool Sand. (The nearby Bobbi rep about laughed her head off.) In Urban Decay, I went from 2 to 3.5. None of these changes made me happy or felt right. I thought they all looked muddy and horrible. Trying a shade lighter, R105, I went home with a sample of a very ugly pinkish Korres foundation. Yikes! I don't go for heavy foundation, but I do think I need a bit of yellow to counteract my redness. I have gone on the website to plug in different foundations in hopes of figuring it all out, but without much success.

And to make matters worse, many a foundation is described by the manufacturer in terms that do not seem to agree with the Color IQ number. For example, I have always avoided Laura Mercier Tender Rose because of the pink undertone, and have gone with the allegedly more neutral Real Sand. But I think I am correct in saying that Tender Rose and Real Sand are BOTH recommendations for 2R04. UPDATE: Now Tender Rose is a suggestion for 1R03. Either they fixed that, or maybe I was hallucinating?

Which is not to say that others won't get some insight from it, but it Color IQ does not seem to know how to diagnose your true colors if you have a problem with redness. And sometimes you just need a person with the guts to say, "Whoops!"

Bobbi Brown Cool Sand is 4Y02! It doesn't "match" my skin at all, but it looks better on me than many other foundations I've tried.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by CaitlynS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This just isn't right. I got many different codes by searching on sephora website for foundations i've used before. None of the codes are the same. Right now I still couldn't figure out the reasoning behind the color chart. At first i thought horizontally Y stands for yellow tone and R stands for red tone, vertically the numbers indicate the the shade of your skin from fair to dark. So for example a 2Y06 should be yellower than 1Y06. However, I was mistaken. When I searched for hourglass veil fluid makeup foundation. The shade nude (described as fair to medium with a neutral undertone on sephora website) was a match of 1Y06, while ivory (fair with pink undertone) was a match for 2Y06.

I was confused so i decided to do the test in store today. The sephora sales assistant took 3 pictures with the tool on my neck, jawline and forehead and the machine automatically took the median of all three. The result was 5Y07, which is absolutely not my shade!! And also very disappointing, there were only 5 products listed for 5Y07. I tried the Bobbi Brown skin foundation in warm honey 5.5 (a match for 5Y07), and it was much yellower and darker than my natural skin.

I usually don't buy foundations from looking at swatches online or just bring home a new foundation just by testing them in store. For me, It is always the best to ask for samples and try them several times before i make the decision! This way I would know the lasting power and to have the right shade under different lighting in different surroundings.