Sephora Color IQ

2.1

on 7/27/2015 9:51:00 PM

I came into sephora looking for a bb cream or tinted moisturizer. I was color matched to 3Y07 and recommended a medium beige foundation. I had some foundation applied on me and realized that it was way too dark and my face and neck were now two completely different colors. Really happy that I didn't end up spending over $50 on a foundation that was 4 or 5 shades darker than my natural skin.

on 7/10/2015 2:14:00 AM

I have two problems with foundation. It tends to be too orange, and too dark. I have very fair skin with pink undertones. I was hoping that having a color IQ number would allow me to hone in on the foundations that have a really pink pale shade. There's no Sephora near me, so I need to order my makeup online, and it would be really useful to know which lines have a truly pink, pale shade. Instead, this thing ended up matching me as a medium shade with yellow undertones. So not me. (I think the actual number was 3Y05). So, we tried assorted foundations in my "matched" shade. Needless to say, none of them looked good on me. As it stands, this has pretty much been useless to me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I just don't know about the accuracy of this, or the products attached to it. I'm very, very pale. I've had to stop using foundations I've loved because the lightest shade was not light enough. Bobbi Brown has been the only foundation to match me, and it's probably the lightest I've seen. The product comparison told me this is not the lowest shade they carry (it's the second lightest, 2Y02). I thought that seemed funny, and upon looking at the 2Y01 shades, I saw a product I've used in the past that is too dark for me by quite a bit. Not sure how they decide which go into what category, but it doesn't quite seem accurate.

on 3/27/2015 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Sephora color IQ is a great concept in theory.I also been colored match incorrectly and had to returned each foundation. so been matched as a 4y05 or 6 but right now I'm using Dior Skin Flash in 200 light beige color matched # 2R07 which is perfect but also went to Macys.So Sephora SA are helpful but please look at a person"s skin tone, undertone please don't rely on color IQ.

on 3/13/2015 12:33:00 AM

I would give the IQ a zero if I could. What a waste of time lol. What's worse is that the Sephora staff do not know what they are doing - and now they are using this machine on everyone, thinking it actually works! Instead of taking the time to actually learn about skin tones.
This would also be possible if Sephora would invest in some FRIGGEN 6500KW bulbs instead of those horrible yellow halogen lights. So much is wrong that I don't know how Sephora operates. Seriously - can you imagine the amount of returns in a week - if the customers realize what actually suits them, because you never see anything until you go outside or get home.
I had a rep use the machine on me, and of course I thought I looked great in the store. I got to my vehicle, got a few blocks away and looked in the mirror. My face was orange and my neck was white. The foundation was caked on and not blended. Thank god I had a blending brush and buffed everything out while I was driving. If I had had the time I would have went straight back and lost it. Unbelievable. Just sad how these are to be professionals.
Now every time I go in, I get so annoyed when 8 girls ask if I really don't need help lol. NO, I don't!!
Do not let a Sephora rep use the IQ on you. Do your own research, and get samples if you really aren't sure. You would be a better judge than any machine!

on 2/17/2015 7:21:00 PM

Ok, so I got matched to a 4y04. The problem is that when I look up my foundations via the brand and color none of them are the same family according to the IQ. The one powder they had in store that matched me perfect (MUFE pro 118) via the color IQ was too dark but the 117 matched fairly close even though it wasn't something the color IQ picked for me.

on 1/23/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'll let the bad reviews here speak for themselves because there are quite a few. What I will do is add a word of caution for us very pale people: don't waste your time. My skin (NARS Siberia, NC5) -- too pale for most foundations which is why I sought this out -- turned out nothing. It completely stumped the machine. No liquid foundations registered. Just two, lonely, sad powders that I had no interest in.

My own color ID is this: does this look so off-white that you can't believe it's an actual skin tone? And then I know I've got the one!

We all have our methods that are a lot more intuitive than this.

on 1/23/2015 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

What an absolute MESS this is! First of all, the device, in 4 different locations, has matched me to 1Y09, 2Y10, 4Y08, and 2Y08...This is confusing to me. The one consistent thing is Y for "yellow" undertones, and yet...

So...I took the first "result", 1Y09, and tried to find a shade match for my warm/yellow/gold, medium skin. The first "match" that popped up is Laura Mercier Fawn, for Medium pink skin tones...pink? Then Becca Fawn, for dark/tan beige with red undertones...red? What happened to my Y?

On to 2Y10...some matches worked...but I also got Nars Syracuse, Medium/dark with brown undertones, (my Nars shade is actually Stromboli), and Clinique Stay Matte in 20 Deep Neutral (I wear shade 11, Honey, in Stay Matte). 2Y10 is obviously too deep for me so I don't know how the device came up with this number.

4Y08...there were only a couple of matches, and they were okay. However this also supposedly matches Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Bisque, for light neutral complexions....before I was dark...now I'm light?

2Y08...Amorepacific Almond Blush...which is pinky-beige, and about 18 shades too light for my skin, Sephora Baked foundation in BRONZE, (how could this possibly be a match to Almond Blush?), and good old Laura Mercier in BOTH Tawny and Ochre. How can one foundation have two completely different shade "matches" in the exact same product? (Neither of which happen to match my skin).

I comprehend slight shade differences in tone, but I do not understand how anything with "pink" or "red" undertones could be considered as matches for Y skin tones?

I also can't imagine how so many "matches" were much too light, or much too dark. I don't just mean to my skin...I mean to the other foundations Sephora considered to be matches. While my eyesight isn't perfect, and everything is subject to relativity, I'd be amazed if anyone could look at Amorepacific Almond Blush and Sephora baked Bronze, and say they match each other!

My SA decided that putting the thing on different parts of my face and neck would help the situation. Possibly I needed a couple of different makeup shades. Really? So I can have stripes all over my face?

The weirdest thing of all is that by "eyesight" I was matched to Make Up For Ever Face & Body foundation in shade 34, but it doesn't show up as a match in any the of results from the IQ device. This particular foundation is classified as 1R09, which "matches" Urban Decay Naked Skin in 7.5, medium-dark with neutral-pink undertones.(My shade in UD Naked Skin is 6.0). I've also been Clinique-matched to Clinique Superbalanced Foundation in Sunny, which is classifed BY CLINIQUE as Medium-Gold, yet Sephora calls it 3R08 ("R" being red/pink).

I'm more confused thanever before. I'm afraid I look ghastly most of the time but I don't know it... if nothing else, I now have an even deeper appreciation for MAC's genius in classifying foundation shades (MAC consistently matches me at C4 and NC35)!

I don't think the Color-Matching device actually works...it's a gimmick that's nothing but a fake app to generate sales. If you get a match, it's probably a coincidence. Some sales committee voted that consumers were too stupid to look at their own faces, and would rely on some "mysterious" gadget to tell them what they looked like. What gets me is...how do Sephora's SAs use it with a straight face? They MUST be able to see how skewed the results become.

on 11/28/2014 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm fair skinned and I was matched 3 shades darker than I am. I forgot what shade my foundation was and it caused me to get a shade darker. I don't tan or get color, so now I have wasted $36. Kind of mad.

on 11/14/2014 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

... Sephora's color IQ Match is way off......... They matched me with color IQ 5Y07 .. and that is WAYY to dark for my light asian skin... .. they put on a foundation on me that "matched" my color IQ and my face was drastically darker than my neck.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools