September 16, 2014 | 1754 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sephora - Color IQ

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2014 2:32:00 AM More reviews by TatooGurl

I went to my local Sephora and was colour matched at 5Y05 I thought that was a tad off so I went to another Sephora in the city and again the colour IQ machine matched me at 5Y05 the problem is my skin colour is 1Y01. I tried the foundation's they "told" me were my colour match and even in the less then well lit store you could tell the shades were really dark like not a little dark but a lot dark. Even just holding the bottle up to my skin you could see how dark it was.

They not only sampled my cheek but my neck, shoulder and scalp since I have the sides of my head shaved, and every time it came out in the 5 range and everyone they tried made me look like a Ompa Loompa. I was there for over an hour they tried like 30 colours on me till they found one that worked the Makeup Forever NC15 or Alabaster the lightest shade they have in the whole store.

So if you go get colour matched don't trust it just try the colours on nothing can subsatute the eye. Ask for samples take them home and try them all in the light you normally are in mix it with your everyday products. Don't trust with a machine tells you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by stellina

The reviewer who said that there's no replacement for the human eye put it right.

Over time I developed a good knowledge of my skintone and I do well finding shades on my own, but I was still curious about Color IQ. The MA who did it seemed to know what she was doing and she even found a match for me in Lancome Teint Idole, which I've been wanting to try and wasn't listed under my Color IQ product list. It looked great in the store and she sent me home with a generous sample. However, when I tried it myself the next day, it was too dark by at least 2 shades. I stuck with it for a few days and tried different application techniques but it was still just wrong.

Out of curiosity, I went to Color IQ online and tried the option which matches via a foundation that you already use. I put in the Shiseido shade that I've worn for years and as I suspected, the Color IQ matches were very different. According to the match I got in the store, my Shiseido shade would be 3 shades darker! One would think that the store match would be more accurate given that it's done by a high-tech sort of thing that samples your actual skintone but it wasn't at all. Like many things, it's good in theory but that's as far as it goes.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by lovebomb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

When matching foundation, there's nothing quite as accurate as a pair of eyes, in my opinion. The Color IQ device matched me to a darker shade than what I actually was. I was not wearing any makeup at the time either. Always test the foundations and shades suggested on your skin in proper lighting before buying!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2014 12:55:00 AM More reviews by Braddykat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was matched 2 shades too dark on three different foundations. The color match was completely off.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by atlanta

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I went to two Sephoras and both tested me. It's a little machine with a scan about the size of a quarter. They tested three different areas cheek, neck and forehead near eyebrow on me. It's a good starting point for a foundation match as it comes up with various brands and types of foundations: powder, bb, tinted moisturizer etc. I was matched too yellow and in both stores ended up with difference shades. The SA said because of my freckles the scan reads differently. Also I don't know too many people that have the exact same shade of skin over their face and in the first test I had foundation on, which I'm sure skewed the results. As for my Sephora experience once the foundation I was on I was given a mirror and told to go outside (this mall store has a outdoor exit as well - bonus!) and see the make up in real light. This was great but once I went back the counter the SA was gone. I went to the product line and did a self service netting the SA one less upsell chance. They will email you your results if you ask for them, which helped me to go home and do research. Bonus since the SA disappeared I pulled out the iPhone to check out the reviews on MUA before purchasing suggested foundation!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2014 2:48:00 AM More reviews by Rose8989

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not a huge fan of it, it could never match me quite right. I brought a friend in and neither the SA or machine could match her right either, I had to do it myself

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2014 8:32:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've gotten shade matched twice at Sephora once in the winter and once again more recently. The last time I wanted the SA to swatch an area of slightly darker skin closer to my chest since my face is always lighter than the rest of me. Both times I was matched to 1Y08. The system works fairly well but it's pairing you up with products that most closely match your IQ number. Sometimes the shade can be off a little but the undertone always seems to be in the right family. If you have medium skin like mine that's more neutral with yellow, beige and some rosey undertones it can be hard to figure out where you fall. I've been eyeball matched to everything from a pretty golden Liquid Halo to a very beige CK. Having the IQ number to narrow things down between products helped a lot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by lclc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went to two different sephoras to get matched and the results were the same both times: 2Y07. I learned that the first number tells me I am close to neutral. (1 in the first number spot would be the most neutral of the yellow tones, while 5 would indicate the most yellow). The last number tells me my skin is medium-in the middle between fair and deep. (The last number ranges from 1 to 15, with 1 being fair and 15 being deep). Sounds logical enough, right? But MUFE HD in 140 and Givenchy Teint Couture in Honey are both 2Y07. The MUFE matched me perfectly, yet the Givenchy was too peach for me. Seems to me IMHO, that the system lumps peach and olive undertones into the yellow category, which results in less than accurate results sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by hovanyir

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just got home from Sephora, where they matched me to 3y08 and then gave me some options for foundation. I ended up buying Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation in tan honey and it is a perfect match. I must say, the SA took her time and put that little gadget to several spots on my face, I guess to get the perfect reading. I think it's a great concept and I also think that many women buy the wrong shade foundation because of the fear of getting too dark of a shade.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Honestly, I just might be too light or something, but the machine matched me to a 1Y02, which was off because I lean far more towards red than yellow, and all the results were too dark. I honestly found nothing on the list, when in reality I can make some foundations work. They may not be completely perfect, but I live with it. This may be more the companies' fault for not making light enough shades rather than the Color IQ failing. Either way the machine did not do anything for me and the results it tried to give me were pretty off.