Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Well-Rested Face & Eye Brightener

2.4

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

***Highlighter Pen Formula Review ***
I got the BE Stroke of Light (see review) which I disliked and decided to try this one out too. I'm currently looking for one of those highlighter/brightener pens. In the past, I've tried YSL, Dior, Maybelline and L'Oreal which all failed to meet my expectations. This was interesting because of the shade. It is straight up white with tons of micro glitter. Also, the name "well rested" intrigued me. I wanted to look awake but not necessarily want a product that was a concealer. I already own great concealers. I wanted simply a brightening effect for shadows of the face. It retails for $22 for 0.10 fl. oz. The packaging is nice. It's small and slim with a brush top. The brush tip is soft and comfortable to use. The packaging is all I cared for with this highlighter.

The Cons: Shade, formula, performance and effect. The shade along with the heavy micro glitter is very unnatural on the skin. It just turns your skin into fish scales. The formula is extremely thin and with the first strike of the pen, you see no color but a line of glitter. The effect is as though a magical snail rolled along your face. Really not the look I was going for.

on 3/27/2015 2:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This came in a set I bought. At first it seemed really useless. It doesn't provide coverage. It doesn't work very well as a highlighter. It's just sort of clear and sticky with a little shimmer. However, I was hoping to find some way to use it. So what I've found works well is to put it on my undereye area, toward the inner corners mostly, and then use my concealer. I have darkness there, and also dry skin, and this winds up providing a really nice base for my under eye concealer. It brightens just a touch, and also seems to help a bit to keep my undereye concealer drying out completely and fading off.

I'll preface this review by saying that I've never been a huge fan of Bare Escentuals. I've tried it so many times over the years and it just doesn't work for me. That being said, I do like some of their products so I was super excited to try the Well-Rested as I'd been on the hunt for the perfect natural looking highlight and according to all of the online and YouTube reviews, this was a hit. Yet again, this mineral powder just didn't do it for me and there are a few reasons why: 1) I'm light to medium skin-toned and this yellow-toned corrector made me look as if I had sat in the sun all day with a pair of sunglasses on; 2) It sat on top of my skin, regardless of how much I tried to buff it in, it just sat there and was very apparent, even 4 hours after application; 3) One tap of product into the lid was one tap too much. It's very hard to control quantity use.

Keep in mind that a lot of people love this brand and it works really well for them, so you might be happy with this, it just wasn't for me. I have relatively dry skin, and it's very sensitive so although this powder product is somewhat creamy, it was still drying and not as blendable as I would have liked.

on 8/29/2014 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It came in a kit I bought and I used it since I had it. Brightened up my under eyes nicely to make me look more awake. Miss this product now that I've run out but not planning to rebut as it's not necessary to me.

on 8/29/2014 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I was excited to try this as many people like the well rested powder, which I find a bit light for me. This was not any better. In fact it was too sheer for my under-eye and also looked unnatural. I am not a fan of any of the Bare Escentuals and I think this will be my last product I try from them. I always keep trying it expecting something new to happen but they are always a fail and an expensive one at that.

PROS: Does slightly brighten and lighten.

CONS: Too see-through/watery and not opaque enough for me. Also a little too much shimmer for my aging skin.

ALTERNATES: A concealer slightly lighter than your skin. For this, I really like MAC's mineralize type concealer.

on 12/4/2013 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pretty similar to Revlon Photoready Eye Primer + Brightener. Both brighten up the under eye area. It doesn't fully conceal everything I've got but it's good enough for a quick daily look.

I wouldn't call this a primer and wouldn't use it as one FYI. I probably won't be rebuying this as I have an under eye concealer now.

on 8/16/2013 3:16:00 PM

This is kind of a useless product that I forget I have, but occasionally see floating around in my make up drawer and I think, "oh, yeah, I should use that up." I bought it to use as an eye highlighter, in the corners and on the brow.
First, it's a liquid in a type of container I hate. It's a tube with a capped applicator at one end and the means of advancing the product at the other end. The applicator is a brush, and when you turn the end of the tube, eventually, long after you've started thinking you have a dud, a blob of product appears on the brush. I really dislike applicators that are stored in a product. They seem like breeding grounds for bacteria. Turning the end requires two hands, which is irritating: you have to stop mid-application to advance more product. There are better designs.
The liquid consistency is thin to medium, but the product is very sheer, with some shimmer. Putting it on my dark circles does not make me look well rested, it makes me look like I have shimmery dark circles. It's barely visible in my eye corners, and does not last below my brows or on my cheeks.
It's too expensive for something that doesn't do much. No, I won't buy it again.