Marc Jacobs Magic Marc'er Precision Pen

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a bit on a fence with this eyeliner. I love the packaging and I love how glossy black line it gives. I am less sure about the price point though.

I've been a Bobbi Brown gel liner user for years so it is my first foray into eyeliners in a pen form - and my conclusion is that it takes longer to create a line I am after (thin and very close to the lash line) with this one. I am also wondering how long this pen is going to last with a pretty much every day use (Bobbi's tiny pots lasts me at least 12 months) - so far I've had it for 2 months and I am using it at least 3 times a week and so far so good - it is still moist and it creates a reasonably thin, smooth line.

It is long lasting but it smudges slightly on my very oily eyelids although with NARS 's primer underneath it is not an issue any more.

on 6/9/2015 3:47:00 PM

I will repurchase this over and over again. The lasting power of this eyeliner in incredible, it lasts all day and even when I scrub with my Purity cleanser it still is a struggle to take off. I know some may see that as a con but I love it. It's very precise and fine tipped, I haven't had any problems with fraying or drying out.

on 6/4/2015 6:42:00 AM

This marker pen is pretty intense. It lasted all day with practically no smudging. Wow! I like the pen format best for application, so it works quite well for me. The only detriment to this product is that it does not want to come off at the end of the day. I used a makeup remover and an oil cleanser, and I still could not clean my lashline. I like this product, but I wish they explained a trick to take off this product at the end of the day.

Update 08/26/2015: I do not know what is up with this product. At first, I could not remove it, now I find it flaking off during the day. Eh, my all-time favorite liquid liner is Stila Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner, because it performs well consistently.

on 6/1/2015 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

To me this product is so true to its name 'Magic Marc'er'. I've tried many types of eyeliners from high end brands prior to this one (pencil, gel, liquid you name it). None of those products stay put on my upper or lower lash line for the whole day. They always end up smearing or smudging even after I applied primers such as NARS or Urban Decay Potion underneath.

This Magic Marc'er though is a completely different story. I was being very skeptical at first. I took one look at the packaging and fell in love with it. Very sleek and gorgeous. I applied it for the first time and my gosh it works... It doesn't even need any primer to stay put. By the end of a long day at work my lines still looked as perfect as after I first applied it.

Highly recommended!

It's smooth, easy to manuveur and stays on.

on 4/29/2015 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This liner is really a disappointment. I love the gel pencil so I figured I'd try the other products in MJ's Blacquer color, and I'm a liquid liner junkie so I jumped on this when it came out. It's not that black, really, and the pen doesn't dispense nearly enough product. Which is weird, because it's a hugely fat pen that makes it hard to get the thin line it promises.

It skips a lot on me and I have to go over everything twice because the opacity and shine are just not up to par. It was pretty stingy with product when I first got it about 3 weeks ago, but now after about 6 or 7 uses it seems like it's drying up even more. For the price, I expected much better.

It lasts a long time on me, but not as long as Kat von D's Tattoo liner or Stila Stay All Day, so even that's mediocre.

on 1/14/2015 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Welll... I have mixed feelings about it.
I have oily eyelids therefore applying it without an eye primer... It will smudge.

However, if I were to use an eye primer, (Urban Decay Eye Potion Primer)
It stays on the whole day till I grab some makeup remover and painstakingly wash it off.
It seems to stay on stubbornly unless I apply some friction.
But that says a lot about it's staying power.
(Coming into contact with water does make it flake off. It's just certain parts of it seems to be so stubborn.)

I really like the pigmentation of the eyeliner; it's a really intense jet black, great for dramatic looks or neutral ones.

The applicator is pretty defined and sharp. As the name implies; precision.
It's really precise when you draw on your eyelids. Just take extra care when capping the lid back on, as it may fray the brush if you're not careful.

The only qualms I have is the application part. Upon applying it, I have to look at the mirror in a certain angle so that my eyelids which have the eyeliner on, don't touch other parts of my lid, and transfer onto it.

This gets annoying at times as I have to pause in that angle for awhile, while waiting for it to dry. While waiting, I'll try to apply my foundation powder to pass the time.

Overall, it's pretty decent. Go for it, if you don't have oily eyelids/have a good eye primer.

on 9/28/2014 9:17:00 AM

I would recommend this to girls who have oily skin. First off apply makeup base or primer to your eyelids. This step is important if u have super oily lids. I'm using ettusais uv block base as my eye primer and it has been my fav and it controls the oil really well! I started applying my eyeliner at 8am and when I checked in the mirror at 5pm it still looked perfect! Unlike other eyeliners that I have used this one did not smudge as I thot it would since my eyelids are super oily.

on 9/22/2014 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I decided to try out liquid liner about a year ago. Gel liners were a disaster, smearing and fading very easily on my oily double lids and requiring more skill than I had at my disposal. Cheaper liquid liners with brush application were easier to wear but few were durable enough to withstand a day at the office. This pen has really done the trick. Application is easy, it's self-inking and it is present when I get home from work. It can get a little flaky if you trying to layer the application and taking it off requires more than one swipe with a good remover, but anything that can hold up for 8 hours gets my vote.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i used to never wear liquid liner because thick lines look terrible on my eyes and that's all i was able to achieve with most pens. this one is indeed very precise, gives me a great thin line, and very easy to hold/use. i can finally use liquid liner to finish up my eye makeup look or just go out with liner and mascara. also has a very dark black color which i love. my eyelids are super oily so if i don't wear primer it smudges, but no biggie. i love that it stays on and removes very easily. it was an impulse buy but i'm glad i bought it. just bought my second tube after almost a year of using the first one. it's worth the $30 to me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Everyday Korean Makeup Tutorial - GRWM makeup for asians KOREANLOVESBEAUTY by KoreanLovesBeauty