August 23, 2014 | 1806 users online

Treatments (Face) - Clarins - Beauty Flash Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by chantel1995

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy this product!

I pat in onto my skin, and It makes such a difference to my foundation!

I have a love/hate relationship with nars sheer glow foundation, but everytime I use it with this underneath, it makes the world of a difference!

It has lasted me ages, as I only use it for special occasions/nights out etc. I shall be buying this again when it runs out!

I have the large version of this, and I still have so much left in the tube - you deffo get your moneys worth! :-)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2014 12:03:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This has no effect on my skin whatsoever. No tightening, no brightening, I don't even think it works that well as a makeup primer because by the end of the day my foundation has broked up in patches around my nose and upper lip. I applied this to half my face and used my regular moisturizer on the other half. At the end of the day, my face was uniformly shiny (dewy?). Since then I've used it several more times, both rubbed in and not rubbed in (the latter is the recommended application method) and no difference. I'm jealous of other reviewers who got it to work for them, but for me it left me thinking that the emperor has no clothes.

Like most Clarins products I've tried, BFB smells foul. It's a powder-y, mature lady smell that I hope I don't smell like when I'm 80.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 4:35:00 AM More reviews by sbrake

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using the balm as a mask three times a week. I apply a thick coating, massage it into my skin and rinse off 20 minutes later. I follow up with my regular day-time moisturizer. It's not an inexpensive procedure but it really keeps my complexion looking good.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by redsunset

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Didn't like this product at all. It looked great when first applied but that didn't last very long, about 10 minutes. Also I was very conscious of it on my face, it felt like I was wearing a mask and my skin felt like it was being suffocated. The 'Flash' part of its name is very apt, you get a flash of radiant skin and then, just like that, its gone!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by constanceyc

I have heard numerous raving reviews for this all time best-seller and I fell in love with it upon first application! the result is very pronounced after the make-up despite I failed to have a beauty sleep the night before. One amazing factor is that since this balm doesn't come with SPF, you can just mix it with your sun-block and apply. :) Another one is that it retains the overall make-up the whole day! (unless the climate is extremely humid that your face keeps sweating haha)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 7:49:00 AM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this as a primer and a radiant booster for my often dry-dull looking skin. The product is scented but nothing offensive and has a light champagne/beige color but goes on clear. I did not find that it makes my make-up longer lasting and I don't always get results from this. I used it once in a while and sometimes I do see my skin looking more radiant true my foundation while othertimes I don't noticed anything. I did try it as a mask but that did absolutly nothing. The tube lasted me almost 2 years because you only have to use a tiny amount. This is a weird product because I really don't see what it actually does and it only gives a minimal effect, so I wouldn't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by camillajhb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have but one thing to add:

If you want to experienced the 'tightening' part, try leaving it on for ten minutes before applying makeup, rather than applying makeup immediately as per the instructions.

(And seriously, don't use it every day, your skin will 'get used to it' (as Lisa Eldridge puts it) and the effects will diminish.)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by ashlou7891

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this little gem .. Smells amazing .. Feels amazing! I used after moisturising as a primer .. Make up went on flawlessly & lasted longer all thanks to Clarins!! X

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by Cheungc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I started buying the Flash Balm about 5 or 6 years ago due to the rave reviews and have been using it out of habit since, even though I've been indifferent to the results and don't have another product to compare it to.

I've only ever really used the Flash Balm as either an additional pre-make up "skin prep" after moisturising in the morning, as a substitute moisturiser if I've run out or am travelling, or as a temporary night cream when I'm living out of an edited make-up bag.....none of which are the recommended uses for this product, although it works fine for either of those purposes.

The texture is very rich, so a petit pois sized drop is enough for the whole face. I'd always assumed the "flash" element of this balm has been due to the shine it gives to the skin, which also doesn't make it very T-zone friendly and I use finishing powder to manage the excess shine.

I don't retouch my make-up once I've put it on in the morning, but would hesitate to follow the recommended use of patting it over my face to revive tiredness for fear that it would muddy up the make-up underneath.

Not a glowing review, I'm afraid, but I know I'll robotically repurchase another 75ml of this Flash Balm when my current one runs out. No idea why.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2014 8:32:00 PM More reviews by kellystars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff works to bring blood to the skin by irritating it with potassium hydroxide. Commonly known as lye.

This is also why Beauty Flash Balm is promoted as a "special occasion" product rather than an everyday primer. Caveat emptor.

Here are some other uses for potassium hydroxide:

"Uses of potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide:
* It is used as a neutralizer in petroleum refining
* Paint stripper (although it's so caustic that its use is being phased out)
* It's used in the production of aluminum
* Used in chemical analysis to measure the concentration of acids
* Used in soap making
* Used in paper making to separate lignin from cellulose fibers
* Used as a catalyst in the production of biodiesel
* Used to etch aluminum
* Washing or chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables
* Chocolate and cocoa processing
* Caramel color production
* Scalding poultry
* Making soft drinks
* Softening Olives
* Unclogging drains
* Hair straightener (although it is caustic and its use is being phased out)

* Dissolving animal carcasses
* Cleaning breweries
* Absorbing CO2 from sealed environments
* ID'ing mushrooms

And it can be used to make meth (Blech!)"

When I had it in my possession it did make me look alive (irritation) but honestly, so would a light alpha hydroxy lotion from walgreens. It didn't feel good. It felt like an industrial soup.
No breakouts but I used it only a few times.

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm overpromises and underdelivers.