April 16, 2014 | 969 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by moreyuna

pros:
- doesn oxidize
- no bumps
- very matte for oily girls
- tocopherol free (i cant used any makeup product contains tocopherol/vitamin E; because that will give me any bumps)
- blotting? yeah, i have to blot once a day with a very minimum amount of oiliness.

cons:
- expensive

NOTE: based on my experience, you have to apply a VERY GOOD toner and primer first, otherwise this fdt powder will gives you an SUPER OILY LOOK.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by suncypress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff is VERY nice. I lucked into a perfect color match--the SA at Sephora and I did a little testing on my hand/wrist and I walked out with what seemed right, with the understanding that I could return it. Then when I started to put it on my initial reaction was "Oh no, this is way too dark!"--except that it really wasn't. Once I'd applied all over my face, my skin was flawless and I couldn't perceive any demarcation between face and neck. I later asked my husband what he thought of my makeup and he said "you're wearing makeup?" which is definitely the response I want. I can't yet speak to longevity, but it applies smoothly, looks incredibly natural, does not cake, oxidize, or look mask-y. I purchased because I wanted a compact foundation that was easier to travel with than my Smashbox liquid Halo, and this definitely fits the bill--it might replace my liquid Halo in the summer months (though with the LM radiance bronze primer underneath, it does give my face a nice subtle warmth, which I sorely need in the winter). So maybe it will become a new HG foundation for me, or I will just alternate between this and the liquid Halo, depending on mood--they both work extremely well for my skin tone and give me a "my skin but better" look. I took off one lippie because it is VERY expensive, though I don't find that I need to use a lot. We'll see how long the pan lasts with semi-frequent use.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 11:24:00 AM More reviews by azaleadeez

Laura Mercier why did you discontinue the original foundation powder?! This version is nothing compared to the old one. This powder doesn't give as much coverage, smells a little funky and doesn't control oil as well. The SPF factor is a bit of a subjective matter as I'm sensitive to sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Hoyman

I went in and match this with shade 6 and I like it so much. I used it on top of my Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer. It give me very natural flawless coverage. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

I don't think i'm a very fair judge for this product because anything that has corn starch bothers my skin.........i wasn't completely sure until i try this.......other than that it gives beautiful finish and great coverage........if u r a fan of powder foundation really should give this a try.............!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This is my all time favourite foundation. Years of expensive, acne inflaming, creasing and general mismatch to my skin (here's looking at you; m.a.c, dior, armani, hourglass, estee lauder....i'd go on but how depressing) led me to this. The colour selection is quite good, I love labels that do yellow tones as well as red and neutral tones, as opposed to generic "beiges". The number 7 (medium beige with yellow undertones) is perfect for me. Do be careful when selecting colours though, some shades don't go in numerical order in terms of darkness and tone, I originally bought number 9 (right darkness, red tones) but I'll blame the SA for that, I don't even know why I keep getting them to match me. Always match yourself! You don't need them. My skin itself is super acne prone (whiteheads, cysts, everything the second I do one thing wrong), oily, with small pigmented scars left over from my worse years. It's a lot to cover up, and really difficult to without a cake-face look. Basically, if I say a foundation is good coverage, it is. It has to be to cover up my skin issues. LMs smooth finish is excellent coverage for such a finely milled powder. I still need a bit of concealer on my under eyes, and directly on top of the more pigmented scars, but this covers absolutely everything else. It also doesn't irritate my skin at all. My acne only pops up now when I aggravate it, and LM smooth finish is the only foundation I've ever used that hasn't. Other mineral foundations actually broke me out MORE than their non-mineral counterparts. It may clog pores if used regularly (anything on top of your face for that long is bound to), but a few clay and neem masks and it's easily sorted. It stays reasonably matte on my oily skin. It does need a touch up after a few hours if it's a hot day. I like to use it over a serum or moisturiser (no primer), without giving them too much time to sink in, because I need the powder to 'stick' and have found it works better that way. I apply with the sponge included, or with a short bristled stipple (girls with good skin probably wont need to do this, a kabuki should suffice, as i keep saying I need full coverage). If is a little warm, or I've worn it for a long time it does settle into the pores around my nose but my skin is oily so I don't expect miracles. I have no complaints overall (minus the price as usual); functional, simple packaging, a useful sponge (credit where credit is due), highly pigmented, non-irritating and full coverage without cake. It's an amazing foundation and I can't recommend it enough. I'm not a girl who constricts herself to healthy food, exercise and a reasonable bedtime (resolutions...). Often I stay up all night not because I've gone out to play in the city, but because I've lounged on my couch watched SVU marathons while smoking (gross I know) half a pack of cigarettes. I drink more wine than I probably should. I need makeup that makes me look human for all the mornings I wake up looking like Edward scissorhands less attractive sibling. My foundation needs to tackle not only acne problems and uneven skin-tone, but also fix that tired, drawn, pale morning look you get after you haven't been to nice to your body. LM does. Nothing else ever has. Combined with the brightening powder I look...healthy. Vegan, sober, gym 5 days a week healthy. One pan lasts me 3 months and I use it nearly every day, so that's quite long. HG. Oh an on huge, risen blemishes you will need a concealer, because the powder tends to slide of the peak of them.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by JRelic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just recently got this foundation and like it way better than the pressed powder foundation from bare minerals. I've gone through two BM compacts and the first was good but I swear the second one I bought was re formulated. It was awful. BUT this LM version is awesome. I never used the old LM pressed foundation so I annoy speak to the differences there. I liked the color match - it pairs well with my Bobbi Brown repair balm foundation. I'd definitely buy this again - good for a spring look since my skin gets dry in the winter and I'm not sure how this will handle in the summer months when things can get "sparkly" (read: sweaty) :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Iphigeneia

I used the old LM Foundation Powder. Now I use the new one. I have always worn them dry, never wet. My take on the update to this line:

1) I wish they had offered the new foundation powder alongside the old foundation powder, instead of replacing it. I feel they are two different products with different characteristics.

2) The old powder had benefits and drawbacks compared to the new one. It definitely provided more coverage. However, I thought the coverage could look too cakey and thick at times, leaving me looking a tad over-done. It was harder to get a color match. I used No. 2 in the old powder, but it was not a perfect color match. Powder foundation is easy to use and comfortable to wear, so I would use it sometimes, but these issues eventually led me to find a different foundation for every-day wear. I did love the powder puff applicator, though.

3) I prefer the new powder. It is easier to get a good color match, because more colors are offered. (Now I wear No. 3.) I like that the coverage is lighter. The powder tends to sink into my skin and look natural while still concealing redness and blemishes. However, the coverage is not as buildable as with the old powder. I don't think you could get coverage that compares to the old product with the new one. That's OK with me--I often thought it was too thick. But if you liked the old product's coverage level, this one might not be for you. And I wish it came with a powder puff applicator instead of just a sponge.

FINAL COMMENTS: The foundation market in general is trending toward lighter, more natural-looking coverage. The new foundation powder line from LM definitely fits with that trend. If you felt the old powder was too heavy-looking, or had too few color choices, this one is an improvement. People who want lots of coverage from a foundation powder will probably be disappointed, especially if they were fans of the old LM foundation powder.

VERDICT: This is my new every-day foundation.

TO LAURA MERCIER: Please bring back the powder puff applicator!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by MelanieNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I know this is a foundation powder but I use it as an eye shadow primer to keep my eyeshadows from creasing and fading. I brush it over my bare lids and let it set for about 30 seconds. Then I do my eyeshadows and it stays perfect until I wash off my makeup at night. Since my sensitive eyes get too irritated from tradition primers, I needed something else and this works perfectly. Give it a try!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Another Mercier product that did not work for me. This is the worst powder foundation for mature skin. Their color palette is suitable for those with yellow skin undertones (not cool/fair). Smooth but heavy foundation and settled in my pores. Amway (the industrial cleaner company) now owns Mercier. For more info on this product, check out the Laura Mercier website and read the reviews on this product !

Based on the many positive comments here on MUA, I think this foundation is probably more suitable for normal, younger skin.

My opinion is Shisedo's Perfect Smoothing Powder foundation performs circles around the Mercier powder foundation, and at $32 it's better for your skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No