Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

3.7

Talc, Mica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triisostearin, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Myristyl Trisiloxane, Soybean Glycerides, Zinc Stearate, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Unsaponifiables, Tetrasodium Edta, Silica, Dimethiconol, Bht, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide (Nano))

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Although I suffer from dry skin, I have always been on the hunt for a good powder foundation for those days when I am just running out quick to do errands and don't need a full face on. I have tried powder foundations from Chanel, MUFE, Dior, D&G, Lancome, Shiseido, Tarte, Bobbi Brown and many more but all of them left me disappointed. The only one that ever worked at all for me was/is Chantecaille's powder foundation ($78.00) but even that is lacking in wear time and coverage. This powder foundation from LM is the ONLY one so far I have tried which is designated as a keeper (I am shade 05). This is microfine and doesn't settle into lines or pores (for the most part, see below). This is also the smoothest/softest/creamiest formulated powder I have ever tried - as in it applies just as smooth as it feels to the touch in pan, which rarely happens. I only have 2 cons about this product: Its over priced for the amount you get esp. compared to other powder foundations and it looks refillable but it isn't. Something that may be an issue for some is that it takes some playing with to find your "application sweet spot", as in which application works for you (brush or sponge, wet or dry), what lotion or primer partners up best with it, etc. But once you figure it out you will be a happy camper! Just to give a better idea, below are some of the ways I tried this out...

-- Sponge application: While using the sponge that comes with compact and applying dry, it's just too heavy and uneven. So bad in fact I washed it off a couple minutes in and I wasn't even leaving the house that day. If you have good skin and small pores this will probably work for you. The sponge is def the way to go if you want full coverage.

-- With no lotion or primer: Applies flawlessly; goes on really smooth. The downside was that it didn't last but 3 hrs before it started fading out, off, and away. I used the Morphe E1 brush for this.

-- Atop Burberry BB Cream: At first it looked a little powdery - not cakey though which is the issue I have had with every single powder foundation tried throughout my adult life (with the exception of Chantecaille) so that alone was actually a good sign even though it doesn't read that way!. To be honest, I just happened to notice a single patch where my larger or more noticeable pores happen to be seemed to be emphasized thus had I exfoliated beforehand this likely would have not even been an issue. The "powdery" look was gone in abt 10 mn and the product just somehow magically settled into my skin really nicely. I got medium coverage and my redness was completely covered and evened out. Lasted all day. I used the Morphe E1 brush.

-- Atop LM Primer: Here's the funny part about this - Applying this aft LM primer this foundation didn't do a good job of evening out my redness and also I got a barely there coverage and super patchy application. I also got a more powdery look [than using it with Burberry BB] and I really looked dry. Although the issue of my bad pore patch wasn't emphasized, I looked a little splotchy and uneven. Again I used ME1.

-- With MAC Fix+: Using MF+ with the Burberry BB and LM Powder foundation was awesome; it completely re-kicked in that Burberry product dewy look that I love. That look isn't for everyone though I know BUT for all the folks on the drier skin side who want a good powder foundation in your arsenal, you might appreciate this... Using MF+ with the LM primer removed the powdery look, left a natural "no makeup look" behind, and did give me a fresh face glow (minus any dewyness) - again though, the coverage wasn't to great at all.

Note: I never tried this with a wet sponge or beauty blender; that's just not the risk I am will ing to take, ruining a $47.00 powder foundation.

I LOVE this product. 5 stars all the way!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

OMG I am so mad at myself for wasting money on this foundation especially as I even exchanged it for another color! :O

This powder foundation was awful and very red and full of oxidization in color as soon as I put it on my face. Please be careful if you have very yellow undertones as I do because Laura Mercier's powder foundations look VERY deceptively yellow in undertone within the pan but as soon as you put it on it goes bright red and orange like an Oompa Loompa! Atrocious. I bought number 17 and then exchanged it for number 16 and now I'm stuck with it because I tried it on in the evening in bad store lighting like an idiot :/

If you are a darker skinned lady with very red undertones who is medium to medium-dark in skintone then I recommend this same powder foundation for you entirely! LOL LOL

I'm so sorry now that I didn't buy a NARS one or a Bobbi Brown one...

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I will admit, my skin hasn't been in the best shape lately. I've been having problems with my skin being noticeably dry. That makes it difficult to apply make up because if I use too much liquid it settles into creases, yet if I use too much powder it sticks to my face and exacerbates the dryness. Currently I am using Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer, Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation, and Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation powder.

I noticed the power settles nicely for a few hours, and then as the day progresses the power disappears in some places on my face but not others. This effect makes my entire face look uneven. If I reapply in the places where I need to, then that one area remains unbalanced. This make up is heavily pigmented so reapplying in patches won't suffice. You have to reapply a coat to the entire face. Very wasteful in my opinion. Other things I noticed: the color is very yellow/orange. This could be a good thing...when I look at myself in the mirror in the car (pure sunlight), I notice my cheekbones look more pronounced when I use this powder (no bronze necessary). However, when I am in luminescent lighting at work, who knows where the pigmentation aggregates for that bronze effect. Hopefully not in awkward places like around the nose! Also, I've only had this for about 1 month and the sponge smells terrible now.

I don't intend on repurchasing

I love this powder foundation. I actually bought it in a dark shade to use for contouring and it's perfect

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Finally an LM product I like! Dry skin and heavy melasma means I tend to avoid powder foundations but this works like a dream over tinted moisturiser, BB creams or liquid foundation alike. It's now my go to if I just want a quick step to even out my skin before leaving home. It's very multifunctional.

Texture is silky and finely milled so it doesn't set into the fine lines under the eyes or crevices in the nose. My skin is smooth to the touch, almost like satin, when this is my finishing powder. It can be used for the Goss application method but I love the finish of this powder so much I don't feel the need to Goss it so much anymore.

Finish is semi-matte; it doesn't quash all glow and it doesn't at all look cakey. My other products tend to be dewy or satin finish, so that helps offset the flatness that matte powders can give. It looks natural in both artificial and natural light.

Coverage is light-medium when used dry, and a healthy medium when wet. I don't believe this can be built up to full by any means. It applies well with a dense powder or kabuki brush, but I usually just use the sponge included for convenience. I mainly use it dry and just pat on, as swiping can disturb the concealer underneath. This application gives a pleasing soft focus effect while blurring pores and minor imperfections. Concealer is still needed for blemishes and large patches of hyperpigmentation but this plays nicely over the top, keeping everything in place and smoothing the texture of bumps.

Shade 5 matches my NC25-27 skin perfectly - something I'm yet to celebrate with the other LM base products. Likewise this is the only LM foundation that doesn't oxidise on me, even when I use it alone over sunscreen.

It's expensive and I can be fairly heavy handed in daily use, so I fear it won't last long. Have been using it for over a month and can see usage (I'm guessing between a third and half gone) but am yet to hit pan. It's much better than bare Minerals, nyx, revlon, L'Oreal and Mac studio finish in performance. For comparison, NYX and MSF pressed lasted me about 3 months of daily use, and BM loose for about 5 months. This is nice and soft like MSF and has about the same coverage, but LM beats it with staying power and for having a more natural, less cakey finish.

It's not easy to remove with water or a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, so I remove makeup with oil and face cloth then gentle cleanse to make sure there is no trace left over.

Staying power is magnificent. It easily lasts 12 hours without settling or migration. I've noticed some oilier reviewers say otherwise, but I live in a humid equatorial climate, moisturise my skin heavily, and wear dewy foundations under it most days, and still no budging. It also helps keep my other base makeup in place so much better than setting sprays like NYX or UD and setting powder by MUFE.

For me, this powder is extremely versatile and performs well over what I have expected for similar products in the price range, so I can justify repurchasing even at the expense. It's made me reincorporate powder into my make up routine and takes away the need for touch ups through the day. A sure HG!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

i see alot of reviews about this with one of the biggest "pro" being it doesnt break them out. that was very untrue in my case and i think im just one of those people whos skin doesnt like talc. im very acne prone and ive got my skin down to a science. i know where i usually break out, from whar, and why. and the way i knew this was the cause because it gave me very strange breakouts. i either get the odd cyst or just clogged pores in general. these bumps were small, red, angry, and all over. (i never ever breakout on my forhead)

BUT, if your skin isnt sensitive or doesnt mind talc, this powder is amazing. not drying in the least. i mean, on first application your skin feels a little tight but after literally a few minutes, it was so soft and just comfotable. the colors in laura mercier in general are gorgeous and it was so easy finding a shade. the coverage is light to medium. i couldve packed on ten layers and still see a dark acne scar. but this didnt bother me. it lasted all day until i took my makeup off.

I'm still on the fence about this powder. My biggest issues with the old Laura Mercier foundation powder were that it was chalky and the shade selection was limited (there were only 7 shades and I was between #1 and #2, so I used to mix the two shades). This new powder is not as chalky as the old one, but it can still accentuate flakes and dry patches on your skin if you don't prep your skin well. I'm sure it'll be fine in warmer weather, but since it's February and I've been drier than usual lately, it makes my skin look dry and dull. While this powder is demi-matte and not totally matte, it makes your skin a bit flat and lifeless. In addition, while the shade selection has been greatly expanded (there are now 20 shades), I find that I'm still in between shades (somewhere between #1 and #4 in the new shades). I don't expect a perfect match for my skin, but the problem is that the selection is very limited for lighter skin tones and the lighter shades are either too yellow or too orange. In theory, #4 was supposed to be good match for me, and that is what the sales associate at Sephora recommended for me. When I tried the powder on my whole face in better lighting, it was way too orange for me. I exchanged it for #1, but #1 is too yellow. I will probably end up mixing #1 and #4.

Pros: Oil-free, fragrance-free, doesn't break me out, medium coverage
Cons: Can be chalky and accentuate flakes and dry patches (but will probably be better in warmer weather or on those with oily skin), can make skin look dull and flat, lighter shades are too yellow or too orange

I love this powder! It provides medium coverage but if I have any spots I have to use my MAC Studio finish concealer.
The color selection is a little bit tricky! I am NC20 and I purchased the wrong shade (02 light shade with pink undertones). So I mix it with 04 shade, which is slightly darker than my skin tone but at least has yellow undertones.
My skin type is combination to oily and I have noticed that I don't get shiny throughout the day.
It has a natural finish without looking cakey.
tip: You can use it with a wet sponge if you want more coverage.
If you prefer powder foundations instead of fluide or creme foundations, you will love it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After using LM liquid foundation for years and heading to Sephora for a new bottle, I saw this product and had a play with it in store. I had not used a powder foundation in a long time and was a bit unsure about it.. in the past I had tried mineral powders and had bad reactions i.e. redness and itchiness within minutes of application. I colour matched myself (no. 4) and was impressed with the look and feel so decided to purchase. I'm happy I did! This product works well for my sensitive, oily skin.

If I want light coverage I press it onto my skin with the sponge provided. It is soft and unscented (well, I can't smell it). I normally do this over sunscreen or LM primer. This provides me with an even complexion without looking powdery of flaky. It also controls my oiliness well. I wet the sponge if I want medium coverage and wipe the foundation on. I have not tried it with a foundation brush. I find I don't need concealer of anything else to even out my skin tone. I was hesitant to use it wet as I don't like heavy looking make-up but it doesn't look cakey on me. It looks pretty and natural. The oil control is even better with this technique. I have not required touch ups during the day or felt any irritation.

I guess what I like the most is the simplicity compared to applying liquid, concealer and powder. This is so much faster for everyday make-up. I have been using liquid with this as a setting powder for special occasion looks. It works great as a finishing powder with my LM liquid foundation. I really like how my skin feels to the touch with this on, so soft. I haven't noticed any transfer or sunglass patches on my nose which is a bonus. It has good staying power and doesn't seem to go patchy. Overall, very versatile and simple to use. I will definitely repurchase.

My skin: pale, slightly dry, occasionally prone to breakouts, 22 years old :)

Reasons why I love it:
1. It doesn't make me breakout, and so many expensive foundations do!
2. When first applied, it looks absolutely beautiful
3. The application itself is nice, as you can wet a foundation brush and layer as you go along, or apply it as a finishing powder later on - so it does two jobs in one!
4. As it is a matte powder it doesn't really need anti-oil touchups while i'm out and about

Reasons why I don't love it:
1. I have tried shades 3 and 4, and find that I am inbetween. However, after an hour or so, both foundations darken significantly and leave tidelines and patches - a weird, orange hue.
2. As time progresses it starts to look more and more patchy, as if I've applied a light bronzer on parts of my face rather than foundation, and the coverage is so light even when applied in a few layers with a wet brush - I have old (faded) brown marks from acne which won't be covered no matter how much I apply
3. Because it's matte and powder, the finish can seem a bit "dead" - there's no dewy appearance at all and even my dry skin has a bit of a glow. This is very unflattering in bright light.

***NOTE: It's also not even worth trying to apply it onto spots. When I suffer a breakout it's a miserable time - the foundation just leaves a kind of dry "scab" on top of the spot, and I always end up washing it off so that I can put lots of concealer on the spot instead - but then I get an uneven finish on my face due to concealer patches!!!***

4. I find the packaging slightly annoying as the bottom part always opens along with the lid so the pad drops out (not that I use the pad, unless i'm drunk shiny and desperate haha)