November 23, 2014 | 2077 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, this was a disappointment. I love the Laura Mercier brand and rarely find something of her's that I do not like. Unfortunately, this one just does not live up to the standard that LM has set with her skin makeup.

This product is...fine. It comes in your standard powder compact - the packaging is definitely well-made and sturdy. They have a color selection that is a bit more diverse than other Laura Mercier foundations, which is nice to see. You definitely want a kabuki or buffing brush to apply this. I was disappointed to see that it really did not give much coverage at all, and that the finish was almost chalky on me (I was color-matched, so I know it was the right shade). It was like a finely milled finishing powder, not a powder foundation - and for the semi-ludicrous price of $46, I expect better (I will absolutely pay good money for a product if it is worth it, particularly skin makeup). The gold standard, for me, in powder foundations is MAC Studio Fix Powder + Foundation, which is fantastic and almost half the price. That offers coverage and a matte, but fairly natural finish. This Laura Mercier version didn't even come close.

If you're looking to try a LM foundation, I highly recommend her Silk Creme series, and I still love her concealers and primers. But this particular foundation is one that you can probably leave on the shelf. And with that price tag, I'm pretty grateful for Sephora's return policy.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by silurian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was weirdly disappointing. I have been using LM liquid foundations for over a decade and love them, but have recently switched to mainly wearing powder foundations and thought I'd give this a try. I am normally matched to the second lightest LM shade (I'm between a MAC C2 and 3) and in this case was given #2 as usual. In natural light, this is too pale on me even though it looked ok in the store. The foundation applies reasonably evenly on dry areas of my face, but cakes and streaks horribly on my oily nose. I really struggle to get an even application with either brush or sponge, even when my skin is well primed or moisturised beforehand. The coverage is buildable but doesn't look natural on me if applied for full coverage, and also transfers/comes off very easily, especially if you wear glasses.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by arieljocelyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have recently taken to wearing regular powders a few shades darker than my skin tone as bronzers, as opposed to products specially made to be used as bronzers (I have finally made peace with the fact that I am much too pale for these). This product has been the best "bronzing powder" I have tried yet. It has a good amount of pigmentation and a little goes a long way. Additionally, it seems that all the shades I saw had yellow undertones, which is what I look for in order to cancel out all the redness in my face. However, some people might look for cooler undertones. Anyway, the product did not break me out and stayed put for about 10 hours. I also love the fact that the powder is matte and looks like a bit of suntan on my face. This would no doubt be great for use as foundation or setting powder. Overall, a very versatile and solid product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this much better than LM mineral foundation. The finish is semi-matte and looks so natural. Coverage is buildable from light to medium. I like to use this as a finishing powder over my tinted moisturizer or just by itself as a foundation. I love the packaging which keeps the sponge separate which makes it great for touch ups on the go. I wear LM oil free TM in Sand and use shade #7 Bamboo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an OK powder on top of makeup but by itself it hasn't worked for me. I found that the color got a little orange as I wore it and did not control my oily shine at all when worn on its own. I have used it over foundations and found that it is a good powder but not work the extra cost when good powders can be gotten for much less money. I will use up what I have but probably not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

This powder is ok nothing special. If you use this as your main foundation it's terrible no coverage at all and gets oily fast. So I started using it on top of bb/cc creams and my liquid foundation for extra coverage and the stuff looks off like a ashy powdery gray cast but if I spray setting spray on it it looks amazing I've been using it for a month now and I already hit pan so you don't get your money's worth either booo.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by shbea

Wow, truly beautiful finish, light and smooth - light enough to apply on eyelids & set undereye concealer, expensive for what you get, but so perfecting & light& lasting, I will Definitely repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2014 4:39:00 AM More reviews by shabbboooo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Laura mercier wth have u dun. Wat was wrong with the old one dat u bought in this shambles of a new one...... It makes my skin luk plastic. .... The product sits on top of my face... neither mattes it nor makes it glow.... just makes me luk wierd.... defo gana take dis bak n never purchase again....... disappointed is not the word..... plus the old one didn't have a huge amount in neway however this one is crap and luks like a tiny amount and for the price u pay for it.... no no no. Did not work on me at all I luked like a plastic freak with this product on.... It does not sit naturally at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:21:00 PM More reviews by tiny101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne-prone skin with eczema and rosacea, so I'm always on the lookout for the next best thing when it comes to foundation. I opted for this, because I feel like powder foundations are easier to work with and generally do not cause as much irritation. Also, I wanted something lighter than my Estee Lauder Double Wear and Dior Forever Flawless, because my skin is clearing up a little and it's getting too warm outside for such heavy foundations. This product works fairly well to meet my needs :D!

[ PROS ]
- Has many shades to choose from and caters to different undertones (I have heavy yellow undertones)
- Does not disintegrate/slide off even in hot/humid weather (blotting is necessary every 3-4 hours or so though)
- Coverage can be very light if used dry, but medium to full coverage can be achieved when used wet *** read below for more details
- Does not look cakey even after 2-3 layers!!
- Powder goes on ridiculously smooth
- Does not oxidize at all
- Does not cause any irritation on my very sensitive skin
- Packaging feels sturdy

[ CONS ]
- Can be very matte (do not buff into the skin if you have dry patches, as this will definitely accentuate any dryness!)
- Pricey
- Will begin to disintegrate and accentuate fine lines after ~8 hours despite blotting/powdering

*** I do not use the sponge that it comes with, because I always achieve a better look with a brush. In order to use this foundation wet, I'll dab it in the compact and get a good amount of powder onto the brush, then spritz it with either Fix+ or Avene Thermal Water. Sometimes, I find that I will look too matte after everything is set though, so I will top off the look with a good spray of Fix+ as well.

For anyone looking to try a good powder foundation, I would highly recommend trying this!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:35:00 AM More reviews by moreyuna

pros:
- doesn oxidize
- no bumps
- very matte for oily girls
- tocopherol free (i cant used any makeup product contains tocopherol/vitamin E; because that will give me any bumps)
- blotting? yeah, i have to blot once a day with a very minimum amount of oiliness.

cons:
- expensive

NOTE: based on my experience, you have to apply a VERY GOOD toner and primer first, otherwise this fdt powder will gives you an SUPER OILY LOOK.