January 25, 2015 | 2016 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by rubylola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

After using LM liquid foundation for years and heading to Sephora for a new bottle, I saw this product and had a play with it in store. I had not used a powder foundation in a long time and was a bit unsure about it.. in the past I had tried mineral powders and had bad reactions i.e. redness and itchiness within minutes of application. I colour matched myself (no. 4) and was impressed with the look and feel so decided to purchase. I'm happy I did! This product works well for my sensitive, oily skin.

If I want light coverage I press it onto my skin with the sponge provided. It is soft and unscented (well, I can't smell it). I normally do this over sunscreen or LM primer. This provides me with an even complexion without looking powdery of flaky. It also controls my oiliness well. I wet the sponge if I want medium coverage and wipe the foundation on. I have not tried it with a foundation brush. I find I don't need concealer of anything else to even out my skin tone. I was hesitant to use it wet as I don't like heavy looking make-up but it doesn't look cakey on me. It looks pretty and natural. The oil control is even better with this technique. I have not required touch ups during the day or felt any irritation.

I guess what I like the most is the simplicity compared to applying liquid, concealer and powder. This is so much faster for everyday make-up. I have been using liquid with this as a setting powder for special occasion looks. It works great as a finishing powder with my LM liquid foundation. I really like how my skin feels to the touch with this on, so soft. I haven't noticed any transfer or sunglass patches on my nose which is a bonus. It has good staying power and doesn't seem to go patchy. Overall, very versatile and simple to use. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2014 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Emstar1892

My skin: pale, slightly dry, occasionally prone to breakouts, 22 years old :)

Reasons why I love it:
1. It doesn't make me breakout, and so many expensive foundations do!
2. When first applied, it looks absolutely beautiful
3. The application itself is nice, as you can wet a foundation brush and layer as you go along, or apply it as a finishing powder later on - so it does two jobs in one!
4. As it is a matte powder it doesn't really need anti-oil touchups while i'm out and about

Reasons why I don't love it:
1. I have tried shades 3 and 4, and find that I am inbetween. However, after an hour or so, both foundations darken significantly and leave tidelines and patches - a weird, orange hue.
2. As time progresses it starts to look more and more patchy, as if I've applied a light bronzer on parts of my face rather than foundation, and the coverage is so light even when applied in a few layers with a wet brush - I have old (faded) brown marks from acne which won't be covered no matter how much I apply
3. Because it's matte and powder, the finish can seem a bit "dead" - there's no dewy appearance at all and even my dry skin has a bit of a glow. This is very unflattering in bright light.

***NOTE: It's also not even worth trying to apply it onto spots. When I suffer a breakout it's a miserable time - the foundation just leaves a kind of dry "scab" on top of the spot, and I always end up washing it off so that I can put lots of concealer on the spot instead - but then I get an uneven finish on my face due to concealer patches!!!***

4. I find the packaging slightly annoying as the bottom part always opens along with the lid so the pad drops out (not that I use the pad, unless i'm drunk shiny and desperate haha)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by bees333

When skin is quite normal, the foundation looks really nice when freshly applied. When I press the foundation in with kabuki brush it's light to medium coverage. If you use a small brush and spot conceal hyper pigmentation, coverage is on the high side of medium. Around the 4hr marks, it has migrate mostly around centre of face, places that has been layered will be very obvious, dry cakey looking. I don't like to buff it in because any dry patches would be obvious.
On slightly dry skin this foundation still looks okay when first applied, any drier then no. It's not the best but it's one of the better powder foundation I have used so far. But I won't repurchase because there has to be better out there.
Shade 04 is not perfect but is around nc15-20, abit peachy orange looking when layered on.
Also I found this gets used up quite fast.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, this was a disappointment. I love the Laura Mercier brand and rarely find something of her's that I do not like. Unfortunately, this one just does not live up to the standard that LM has set with her skin makeup.

This product is...fine. It comes in your standard powder compact - the packaging is definitely well-made and sturdy. They have a color selection that is a bit more diverse than other Laura Mercier foundations, which is nice to see. You definitely want a kabuki or buffing brush to apply this. I was disappointed to see that it really did not give much coverage at all, and that the finish was almost chalky on me (I was color-matched, so I know it was the right shade). It was like a finely milled finishing powder, not a powder foundation - and for the semi-ludicrous price of $46, I expect better (I will absolutely pay good money for a product if it is worth it, particularly skin makeup). The gold standard, for me, in powder foundations is MAC Studio Fix Powder + Foundation, which is fantastic and almost half the price. That offers coverage and a matte, but fairly natural finish. This Laura Mercier version didn't even come close.

If you're looking to try a LM foundation, I highly recommend her Silk Creme series, and I still love her concealers and primers. But this particular foundation is one that you can probably leave on the shelf. And with that price tag, I'm pretty grateful for Sephora's return policy.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by silurian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was weirdly disappointing. I have been using LM liquid foundations for over a decade and love them, but have recently switched to mainly wearing powder foundations and thought I'd give this a try. The foundation applies reasonably evenly on dry areas of my face, but cakes and streaks horribly on my oily nose. I really struggle to get an even application with either brush or sponge, even when my skin is well primed or moisturised beforehand. The coverage is buildable but doesn't look natural on me if applied for full coverage, and also transfers/comes off very easily, especially if you wear glasses.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by arieljocelyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have recently taken to wearing regular powders a few shades darker than my skin tone as bronzers, as opposed to products specially made to be used as bronzers (I have finally made peace with the fact that I am much too pale for these). This product has been the best "bronzing powder" I have tried yet. It has a good amount of pigmentation and a little goes a long way. Additionally, it seems that all the shades I saw had yellow undertones, which is what I look for in order to cancel out all the redness in my face. However, some people might look for cooler undertones. Anyway, the product did not break me out and stayed put for about 10 hours. I also love the fact that the powder is matte and looks like a bit of suntan on my face. This would no doubt be great for use as foundation or setting powder. Overall, a very versatile and solid product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by harls321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this much better than LM mineral foundation. The finish is semi-matte and looks so natural. Coverage is buildable from light to medium. I like to use this as a finishing powder over my tinted moisturizer or just by itself as a foundation. I love the packaging which keeps the sponge separate which makes it great for touch ups on the go. I wear LM oil free TM in Sand and use shade #7 Bamboo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 9:10:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an OK powder on top of makeup but by itself it hasn't worked for me. I found that the color got a little orange as I wore it and did not control my oily shine at all when worn on its own. I have used it over foundations and found that it is a good powder but not work the extra cost when good powders can be gotten for much less money. I will use up what I have but probably not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

This powder is ok nothing special. If you use this as your main foundation it's terrible no coverage at all and gets oily fast. So I started using it on top of bb/cc creams and my liquid foundation for extra coverage and the stuff looks off like a ashy powdery gray cast but if I spray setting spray on it it looks amazing I've been using it for a month now and I already hit pan so you don't get your money's worth either booo.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by shbea

Wow, truly beautiful finish, light and smooth - light enough to apply on eyelids & set undereye concealer, expensive for what you get, but so perfecting & light& lasting, I will Definitely repurchase!