Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

3.8

Talc, Mica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triisostearin, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Myristyl Trisiloxane, Soybean Glycerides, Zinc Stearate, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Unsaponifiables, Tetrasodium Edta, Silica, Dimethiconol, Bht, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide (Nano))

on 6/29/2015 12:35:00 PM

I use this powder to set my silk cream foundation .For that I actually like it better than my studio fix powder I cant see using this on its own for medium or full coverage .Much better as setting powder for max coverage

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this powder! I loved it the first time I swatched it at Sephora a year ago but I always hesitated about the price. But on the weekend I went for it and boy was it ever the right decision! No other foundation powder comes close - it goes on like silk, feels like air, and makes my complexion sing. I love, love, love this powder and I'm so happy I have found a powder foundation that looks so good and feels so comfortable. For the record, I was looking for a powder foundation because I feel it's the only foundation that will be suitable for skin as shiny as mine. I also bought LM translucent powder to touch up during the day - but from one day's wear I can tell you my touch ups are much fewer now - hallelujah!

on 4/7/2015 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Finally an LM product I like! Dry skin and heavy melasma means I tend to avoid powder foundations but this works like a dream over tinted moisturiser, BB creams or liquid foundation alike. It's now my go to if I just want a quick step to even out my skin before leaving home. It's very multifunctional.

Texture is silky and finely milled so it doesn't set into the fine lines under the eyes or crevices in the nose. My skin is smooth to the touch, almost like satin, when this is my finishing powder. It can be used for the Goss application method but I love the finish of this powder so much I don't feel the need to Goss it so much anymore.

Finish is semi-matte; it doesn't quash all glow and it doesn't at all look cakey. My other products tend to be dewy or satin finish, so that helps offset the flatness that matte powders can give. It looks natural in both artificial and natural light.

Coverage is light-medium when used dry, and a healthy medium when wet. I don't believe this can be built up to full by any means. It applies well with a dense powder or kabuki brush, but I usually just use the sponge included for convenience. I mainly use it dry and just pat on, as swiping can disturb the concealer underneath. This application gives a pleasing soft focus effect while blurring pores and minor imperfections. Concealer is still needed for blemishes and large patches of hyperpigmentation but this plays nicely over the top, keeping everything in place and smoothing the texture of bumps.

Shade 5 matches my NC25-27 skin perfectly - something I'm yet to celebrate with the other LM base products. Likewise this is the only LM foundation that doesn't oxidise on me, even when I use it alone over sunscreen.

It's expensive and I can be fairly heavy handed in daily use, so I fear it won't last long. Have been using it for over a month and can see usage (I'm guessing between a third and half gone) but am yet to hit pan. It's much better than bare Minerals, nyx, revlon, L'Oreal and Mac studio finish in performance. For comparison, NYX and MSF pressed lasted me about 3 months of daily use, and BM loose for about 5 months. This is nice and soft like MSF and has about the same coverage, but LM beats it with staying power and for having a more natural, less cakey finish.

It's not easy to remove with water or a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, so I remove makeup with oil and face cloth then gentle cleanse to make sure there is no trace left over.

Staying power is magnificent. It easily lasts 12 hours without settling or migration. I've noticed some oilier reviewers say otherwise, but I live in a humid equatorial climate, moisturise my skin heavily, and wear dewy foundations under it most days, and still no budging. It also helps keep my other base makeup in place so much better than setting sprays like NYX or UD and setting powder by MUFE.

For me, this powder is extremely versatile and performs well over what I have expected for similar products in the price range, so I can justify repurchasing even at the expense. It's made me reincorporate powder into my make up routine and takes away the need for touch ups through the day. A sure HG!

on 3/2/2015 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

i see alot of reviews about this with one of the biggest "pro" being it doesnt break them out. that was very untrue in my case and i think im just one of those people whos skin doesnt like talc. im very acne prone and ive got my skin down to a science. i know where i usually break out, from whar, and why. and the way i knew this was the cause because it gave me very strange breakouts. i either get the odd cyst or just clogged pores in general. these bumps were small, red, angry, and all over. (i never ever breakout on my forhead)

BUT, if your skin isnt sensitive or doesnt mind talc, this powder is amazing. not drying in the least. i mean, on first application your skin feels a little tight but after literally a few minutes, it was so soft and just comfotable. the colors in laura mercier in general are gorgeous and it was so easy finding a shade. the coverage is light to medium. i couldve packed on ten layers and still see a dark acne scar. but this didnt bother me. it lasted all day until i took my makeup off.

on 2/21/2015 11:45:00 PM

I'm still on the fence about this powder. My biggest issues with the old Laura Mercier foundation powder were that it was chalky and the shade selection was limited (there were only 7 shades and I was between #1 and #2, so I used to mix the two shades). This new powder is not as chalky as the old one, but it can still accentuate flakes and dry patches on your skin if you don't prep your skin well. I'm sure it'll be fine in warmer weather, but since it's February and I've been drier than usual lately, it makes my skin look dry and dull. While this powder is demi-matte and not totally matte, it makes your skin a bit flat and lifeless. In addition, while the shade selection has been greatly expanded (there are now 20 shades), I find that I'm still in between shades (somewhere between #1 and #4 in the new shades). I don't expect a perfect match for my skin, but the problem is that the selection is very limited for lighter skin tones and the lighter shades are either too yellow or too orange. In theory, #4 was supposed to be good match for me, and that is what the sales associate at Sephora recommended for me. When I tried the powder on my whole face in better lighting, it was way too orange for me. I exchanged it for #1, but #1 is too yellow. I will probably end up mixing #1 and #4.

Pros: Oil-free, fragrance-free, doesn't break me out, medium coverage
Cons: Can be chalky and accentuate flakes and dry patches (but will probably be better in warmer weather or on those with oily skin), can make skin look dull and flat, lighter shades are too yellow or too orange

I love this powder! It provides medium coverage but if I have any spots I have to use my MAC Studio finish concealer.
The color selection is a little bit tricky! I am NC20 and I purchased the wrong shade (02 light shade with pink undertones). So I mix it with 04 shade, which is slightly darker than my skin tone but at least has yellow undertones.
My skin type is combination to oily and I have noticed that I don't get shiny throughout the day.
It has a natural finish without looking cakey.
tip: You can use it with a wet sponge if you want more coverage.
If you prefer powder foundations instead of fluide or creme foundations, you will love it!

on 12/22/2014 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After using LM liquid foundation for years and heading to Sephora for a new bottle, I saw this product and had a play with it in store. I had not used a powder foundation in a long time and was a bit unsure about it.. in the past I had tried mineral powders and had bad reactions i.e. redness and itchiness within minutes of application. I colour matched myself (no. 4) and was impressed with the look and feel so decided to purchase. I'm happy I did! This product works well for my sensitive, oily skin.

If I want light coverage I press it onto my skin with the sponge provided. It is soft and unscented (well, I can't smell it). I normally do this over sunscreen or LM primer. This provides me with an even complexion without looking powdery of flaky. It also controls my oiliness well. I wet the sponge if I want medium coverage and wipe the foundation on. I have not tried it with a foundation brush. I find I don't need concealer of anything else to even out my skin tone. I was hesitant to use it wet as I don't like heavy looking make-up but it doesn't look cakey on me. It looks pretty and natural. The oil control is even better with this technique. I have not required touch ups during the day or felt any irritation.

I guess what I like the most is the simplicity compared to applying liquid, concealer and powder. This is so much faster for everyday make-up. I have been using liquid with this as a setting powder for special occasion looks. It works great as a finishing powder with my LM liquid foundation. I really like how my skin feels to the touch with this on, so soft. I haven't noticed any transfer or sunglass patches on my nose which is a bonus. It has good staying power and doesn't seem to go patchy. Overall, very versatile and simple to use. I will definitely repurchase.

on 12/19/2014 4:35:00 PM

My skin: pale, slightly dry, occasionally prone to breakouts, 22 years old :)

Reasons why I love it:
1. It doesn't make me breakout, and so many expensive foundations do!
2. When first applied, it looks absolutely beautiful
3. The application itself is nice, as you can wet a foundation brush and layer as you go along, or apply it as a finishing powder later on - so it does two jobs in one!
4. As it is a matte powder it doesn't really need anti-oil touchups while i'm out and about

Reasons why I don't love it:
1. I have tried shades 3 and 4, and find that I am inbetween. However, after an hour or so, both foundations darken significantly and leave tidelines and patches - a weird, orange hue.
2. As time progresses it starts to look more and more patchy, as if I've applied a light bronzer on parts of my face rather than foundation, and the coverage is so light even when applied in a few layers with a wet brush - I have old (faded) brown marks from acne which won't be covered no matter how much I apply
3. Because it's matte and powder, the finish can seem a bit "dead" - there's no dewy appearance at all and even my dry skin has a bit of a glow. This is very unflattering in bright light.

***NOTE: It's also not even worth trying to apply it onto spots. When I suffer a breakout it's a miserable time - the foundation just leaves a kind of dry "scab" on top of the spot, and I always end up washing it off so that I can put lots of concealer on the spot instead - but then I get an uneven finish on my face due to concealer patches!!!***

4. I find the packaging slightly annoying as the bottom part always opens along with the lid so the pad drops out (not that I use the pad, unless i'm drunk shiny and desperate haha)

on 11/26/2014 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

When skin is quite normal, the foundation looks really nice when freshly applied. When I press the foundation in with kabuki brush it's light to medium coverage. If you use a small brush and spot conceal hyper pigmentation, coverage is on the high side of medium. Around the 4hr marks, it has migrate mostly around centre of face, places that has been layered will be very obvious, dry cakey looking. I don't like to buff it in because any dry patches would be obvious.
On slightly dry skin this foundation still looks okay when first applied, any drier then no. It's not the best but it's one of the better powder foundation I have used so far. But I won't repurchase because there has to be better out there.
Shade 04 is not perfect For my nc20, abit darker and also peachy orange looking when layered on.
Also I found this gets used up quite fast.

on 11/22/2014 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Well, this was a disappointment. I love the Laura Mercier brand and rarely find something of her's that I do not like. Unfortunately, this one just does not live up to the standard that LM has set with her skin makeup.

This product is...fine. It comes in your standard powder compact - the packaging is definitely well-made and sturdy. They have a color selection that is a bit more diverse than other Laura Mercier foundations, which is nice to see. You definitely want a kabuki or buffing brush to apply this. I was disappointed to see that it really did not give much coverage at all, and that the finish was almost chalky on me (I was color-matched, so I know it was the right shade). It was like a finely milled finishing powder, not a powder foundation - and for the semi-ludicrous price of $46, I expect better (I will absolutely pay good money for a product if it is worth it, particularly skin makeup). The gold standard, for me, in powder foundations is MAC Studio Fix Powder + Foundation, which is fantastic and almost half the price. That offers coverage and a matte, but fairly natural finish. This Laura Mercier version didn't even come close.

If you're looking to try a LM foundation, I highly recommend her Silk Creme series, and I still love her concealers and primers. But this particular foundation is one that you can probably leave on the shelf. And with that price tag, I'm pretty grateful for Sephora's return policy.